PDA

View Full Version : No space to garden?

RWalls
03-01-2014, 10:07 AM

dgmj10
07-20-2014, 09:06 AM
I grow a lot of different stuff in pots. I try different cultivers of heirlooms to see how well they grow in my area before deciding to dedicate garden space for them. Below pics of a bush cucumbers, sweet potatoes, and carrots. Carrots have always done well in containers for me473ò474

machinejjh
07-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Apartment living makes growing things a pain. If we had a little balcony it would be easier,but we don't. Any ideas for me? I love to find a way to do potatoes, onions and some leafy things.

Sarge7402
07-20-2014, 09:42 AM
We're trying some potato grow bags from England. Seem to do ok. Don't take up too much space. Early taters came out very firm and with no major issues

1moretoy
07-20-2014, 04:08 PM
My wife saw the gutter growing on Pintrest and wants to give it a shot. Once we move, the house we are fixing up has a great back yard with lots of space for a garden. May give it a try.

dgmj10
07-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Try some good ole , gurellia gardening. When we lived in an apartment, I grew onions , squash , beans and garlic all over the place. Just make sure you are planting outside the areas that recieve regular landscape maintenance. Stay away from stuff people recognize like tomatoes and peppers. I planted my pole beans on the fence line in the far back of the property squashes and zucchinis we scattered along the tree lines behind buildings and onions we did the same way.

I would go out at dawn to harvest. And I would carry gallon bags of quality soil for planting in. A water bottle with miricale grow pr mixed. And when it was real dry a gallon jug. I would just refill at the closest building spigot. We had 2 neighbors bust us planting but they wound up joining us.

Funny thing that was 10 or more years ago. Last week I was at a house that backs up to that complex and the fence was covered with Kentucky wonder pole beans.I jumped the fence and found a bunch of squash plants the wild life had been munching on them and there was an abundance of aphids but about 5 good plants producing well.

1moretoy
07-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Good idea

Arklatex
07-20-2014, 04:59 PM
A lot of towns and cities have community gardens for people without the space to grow. I really like dgmj10's idea. Never thought of that one.

Just Sayin'
07-20-2014, 06:16 PM
That's one heck of a good idea. My wife uses her "flower beds" around the house as our garden. Looks nice and is easy to maintain, and provides enough for us and some extra.