PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Heater maintenance

Arklatex
12-14-2015, 08:12 AM
I have two of these portable LP heaters. The buddy and the big buddy. Both of them have been great for the last couple years. I pulled them out of storage last week and was surprised that neither one of them would work. Here is the fix for a clogged up Mr Heater: https://youtu.be/L5UNAvPWXNE

I followed the instructions in the video and now they are both running like new. I did not use the computer dusting thing, I just blew it out with my air compressor and a small piece of hose. This is the first time I've had to do any maintenance on these things and they get used HEAVILY at my house all winter.

hawgrider
12-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Spiders have a habit of plugging the pilot gas orifice when I leave my buddy heater in the deer blind to long. And then mice SUCK as the fill the whole insides stuffed full of nesting debris from leaving it in the deer blind to long.

Arklatex
12-14-2015, 08:34 AM
I had that problem one year. We had an explosion in the field mouse population and those little bastards got into everything over winter. Come springtime I found the damn nests everywhere in my equipment shed. In the mower, around boxes, even had a nest in the air box of my 92 Ford Ranger bov! Now I put out bait bars all over and problem solved.

RWalls
12-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Northern Tool had the Mr. Buddy on sale for $69, was thinking about getting one.

hawgrider
12-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Northern Tool had the Mr. Buddy on sale for $69, was thinking about getting one. Mr buddys are a damn good heater. Deer blind, tents, garage, house wherever. They have the low O2 sensor shut off so even idiots won't die from suffocation. Big buddy twice the fun. I run mine on a ten foot hose to a 20 lbs propane tank for the deer blinds.

Good price.... they have been running 79 bucks for the standard single ceramic buddy for years and years.

LOL great new avatar hahahahaha

RubberDuck
12-14-2015, 12:00 PM
I own 3.
The Big Buddy great for garage or good size room. It has a built in fan also that runs on dcell or 110 plug.

I have the hunting buddy i like the heater single stone but larger then the mr buddy also the quiet ignition with a AA batery grill style ignitor.
What I do not like is when run on low it makes noise like the wind is blowing the flame.
If you crank it just a touch past low it stops. Like maybe the regulation is off from factory.
I took it back the new on is the same.

I also have the old model mr buddy with the horizontal stone the new ones are vertical.
Now other than the noisey ckick to start (i use a long lighter in blind to be more quiet) this is my favorite heater. It runs flawless on all settings an puts off plenty heat for blind.
I have purchased one of the new ones and did not feel it put off as much heat an again it also flickered an made noise on low so took it back.

Inor
12-14-2015, 12:10 PM
I have a Mr Heater for my wood shop. It is the 115,000 BTU version. It heats things up pretty fast but it sure does burn the propane.

hawgrider
12-14-2015, 12:11 PM
I own 3.
The Big Buddy great for garage or good size room. It has a built in fan also that runs on dcell or 110 plug.

I have the hunting buddy i like the heater single stone but larger then the mr buddy also the quiet ignition with a AA batery grill style ignitor.
What I do not like is when run on low it makes noise like the wind is blowing the flame.
If you crank it just a touch past low it stops. Like maybe the regulation is off from factory.
I took it back the new on is the same.

I also have the old model mr buddy with the horizontal stone the new ones are vertical.
Now other than the noisey ckick to start (i use a long lighter in blind to be more quiet) this is my favorite heater. It runs flawless on all settings an puts off plenty heat for blind.
I have purchased one of the new ones and did not feel it put off as much heat an again it also flickered an made noise on low so took it back.Yup I have the original horizontal stone it runs great.

hawgrider
12-14-2015, 12:13 PM
I have a Mr Heater for my wood shop. It is the 115,000 BTU version. It heats things up pretty fast but it sure does burn the propane.The original single stone will run 6 hours on low off a 1 lbs tank 4 hours on high. I get most of the hunting season off 1 20 lbs tank. That's from late October to late December

Inor
12-14-2015, 12:20 PM
The original single stone will run 6 hours on low off a 1 lbs tank 4 hours on high. I get most of the hunting season off 1 20 lbs tank. That's from late October to late December

Oh Lord no! I can burn through a 20 pound tank in about 5-6 hours.

shootbrownelk
12-14-2015, 12:20 PM
My son-in-law and I used a BIG buddy heater for my Cow Moose hunt in the Snowy Range mountains here in Wyoming. We only used one of the two pads on the heater and it kept us toasty warm in my Un-Insulated 7x16 ft. Cargo trailer. I've got one on my short list, along with a Champion LP powered Generator. I sure liked that heater that he brought along!

hawgrider
12-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Oh Lord no! I can burn through a 20 pound tank in about 5-6 hours. You must have the wall mount BIG version

Inor
12-14-2015, 01:06 PM
You must have the wall mount BIG version

It is not wall mounted. It is a "torpedo" style. But it is designed for heating large construction sites. Like I say, it heats the place up quick.

hawgrider
12-14-2015, 01:17 PM
It is not wall mounted. It is a "torpedo" style. But it is designed for heating large construction sites. Like I say, it heats the place up quick.Oh yeah those need a 100 pound tank

TJC44
12-14-2015, 05:21 PM
It is not wall mounted. It is a "torpedo" style. But it is designed for heating large construction sites. Like I say, it heats the place up quick.

O.K. I'm going to show my a$$ here, but I've been doing that a lot lately, so...

What keeps it from launching across the room like a rocket?

Arklatex
12-14-2015, 05:22 PM
Damn man that's hardcore... We used to use those when I was working in a precast concrete factory to speed up the cure time. But ours ran on diesel. Those torpedoes can pump out some heat in a hurry!

hawgrider
12-14-2015, 05:25 PM
O.K. I'm going to show my a$$ here, but I've been doing that a lot lately, so...

What keeps it from launching across the room like a rocket?Hahahaha have another sammie your almost there!

:attention:

James m
12-14-2015, 05:43 PM
I have the one that runs off of the 1 pound tank. It throws off a lot of heat. Got it at tractor supply when the temperatures were hovering around 0 degrees last winter.

Arklatex
12-14-2015, 05:46 PM
I have the one that runs off of the 1 pound tank. It throws off a lot of heat. Got it at tractor supply when the temperatures were hovering around 0 degrees last winter.
You can get a kit for it so it will hookup to a 20 pound bbq bottle. It's way more economical to run it that way, the kit will pay for itself in savings from having to buy the 1 pounders. Make sure to get the filter or you run the risk of clogging the element up.

hawgrider
12-14-2015, 05:50 PM
You can get a kit for it so it will hookup to a 20 pound bbq bottle. It's way more economical to run it that way, the kit will pay for itself in savings from having to buy the 1 pounders. Make sure to get the filter or you run the risk of clogging the element up.

^^^^This ^^^^

Inor
12-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Damn man that's hardcore... We used to use those when I was working in a precast concrete factory to speed up the cure time. But ours ran on diesel. Those torpedoes can pump out some heat in a hurry!

My old one ran on kerosene. It worked pretty well but stunk the place up something awful. So I decided to get an LP model with 3 times the BTUs. I am pretty happy with it as long as propane is cheap. I was not so happy with it in 2009 and 2010. :biglaugh:

RubberDuck
12-15-2015, 03:44 AM
Im looking at getting a new torpedo mine is the old style it does run on kerosene or even diesel I find running Road diesel burns cleaner. My plan is to run external fuel tank an thermostat plug an let it do it's thing. Seen some people doing this for free doing their own crude form of bio diesel an worked well. With the right set up waste oil could be used too.

I get the hookup on road diesel so that's my route for no fuss.

12vman
04-12-2017, 04:06 PM
thanks for the video......running into the same problem right now

Rich1028
01-13-2018, 09:23 AM
I have two of these that I use to heat the garage in the winter time.
http://www.mrheater.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/2/f242650.jpg

and we use the small ones for the deer blind pop ups.
http://www.mrheater.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/2/f242100.jpg

we use these for bow season deer hunting,as it is not that cold during bow season.
http://www.mrheater.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/2/f242100.jpg

rstanek
01-13-2018, 12:41 PM
I use mine for ice fishing, it gets moisture in it and has to be dealt with on occasion,but after ten years, it still heats my shanty....