PDA

View Full Version : The Mad Trapper of Rat River

Arklatex
12-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Here is an interesting story. Credits go to Dan Schechtman of Backwoods Magazine. A true survival story.

In the summer of 1931, a raft came down the Peel river and docked at the landing at Fort McPherson in the NW territories of Canada. The man who came ashore had come for supplies. After offering as little information as possible about himself he got his supplies and quickly loaded up his raft. He continued up to the the banks of the Rat River where he built a cabin.

That winter a native trapper reported to the local RCMP that his traps were being tripped and hung up trees. Suspicion fell on the reclusive newcomer and the RCMP came 60 miles to investigate. The man was believed to be Albert Johnson, but to this day no one is certain of his identity. When the Mounties approached the cabin, Johnson would not respond to their commands to come out and be questioned. So they went back to headquarters and got a warrant.

When the 2 Mounties returned 5 days later Johnson once more refused to answer their questions. When officer King went to the door to serve the warrant, Johnson shot him.

The Mounties returned to HQ where King was hospitalized. Then returned to Johnson's cabin with a posse. After a long gunfight, the posse (suffering from the frigid temperatures) decided to dynamite his cabin. What they found in the ruins was that Johnson's cabin was dug into the ground, being more a bunker than a cabin. Johnson had escaped and thus began the greatest manhunt in Canadian history.

The posse that pursued him included native trackers, north country trappers and the best officers the Mounties had - many with dog sleds. Johnson was 1 man on the run. On foot. In the wild north in the dead of winter. The Mounties were astounded by his strength, stamina and woodcraft. He was not just surviving in this unforgiving country... He was evading and somehow trapping and hunting on the run while managing to stay warm enough to remain alive in the 50 below temperatures.

The Mounties, alarmed that he might escape, enlisted the help of pilot "Wop" May. An acclaimed WW1 flyer. Only then did they finally track and corner Johnson. Another long shootout ensued resulting in the death of Johnson and the manhunt was over. He made it for 48 days on the run.

The inventory of Johnson's gear included firearms, an axe, and one knife. This was the knife that Johnson probably depended on day after day, perhaps for years before the manhunt. In country that would appear a survival situation to many. Wilderness life in the far north was home to the man. The knife he carried to maintain this life was a skinner, rough forged from a trap spring...

Moral of the story. You don't need a fancy "survival" knife. You just need a good, functional blade and know how to use and maintain it. At least that's Ark's take on it. Anyway, it's a neat story I thought worthy of sharing. 48 days is amazing!

Arklatex
12-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Pics of the blown up cabin and his corpse:

hawgrider
12-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Great story!

Infidel
12-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Now I'll have to find a trap spring large enough to make a decent size blade from. That should be a cool project. Need to get some other projects finished first. Might be a good one for early spring. I'll need to hit the auctions for a decent size trap.

-Infidel

Baglady
12-15-2015, 11:22 PM
That's a great story. I wonder why he was messing with the Trappers traps? If he had minded his own business, he would have lived longer.
Just sayin..
Personal Observation: That guy had some honker nostrils!

slewfoot
12-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Their was a move made about this incident starring Charles Bronson. the movie was Death hunt.

Arklatex
12-17-2015, 06:26 AM
Now I'll have to find a trap spring large enough to make a decent size blade from. That should be a cool project. Need to get some other projects finished first. Might be a good one for early spring. I'll need to hit the auctions for a decent size trap.

-Infidel
Here is a pic of some trapspring knives:

Pretty dang cool.

Arklatex
12-17-2015, 06:27 AM
Their was a move made about this incident starring Charles Bronson. the movie was Death hunt.
Didn't know that. I'll have to see if I can find it.

hawgrider
12-17-2015, 06:33 AM
If its got Bronson it it it will be a good flick.

slewfoot
12-17-2015, 01:30 PM
Didn't know that. I'll have to see if I can find it.
Also starred Lee Marvin as the Mountie tracking him.

Coppertop
02-02-2016, 11:02 PM
I remember watching that movie years ago. It was good then and I think I will have to find it and watch it again

Coppertop

Gunners Mate
02-02-2016, 11:12 PM
That was a good movie