PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Government STEEL review. NOT FOR FANBOYS!

madtana
03-02-2014, 04:39 PM
The first major downside is the material. A steel 1911 with a 5 inch barrel is going to be shockingly heavy. With polymer components now equalling or surpassing steel, it is a mystery why anyone would choose to carry a 1911. Almost every major gun manufacturer now produces handguns with polymer frames that are lighter and also recoil less than the 1911 because of improved designs.

The woefully inadequate round capacity of the 1911 is another problem. There is simply no reason to favor a handgun with a capacity of eight or nine rounds when double stack handguns in the same caliber can provide up to 14. Owning a 1911 for the collector's value is understandable, but do not fool yourself into believing that it is still on par with today's handguns.

BugMan
03-02-2014, 04:43 PM
The round capacity is perfect for NY.

RWalls
03-02-2014, 05:42 PM
The round capacity is perfect for NY.

If I lived in NY a single shot pistol would be perfect because I would end it... :suicide:

either that or get a 50 cal desert eagle, LOL

Notsoyoung
07-21-2014, 12:12 PM
"The first major downside is the material. A steel 1911 with a 5 inch barrel is going to be shockingly heavy."

"Shockingly" heavy? Really? Shockingly? Hmmmmmmm. Not on par with today's handgun? You do realize that the United States Marine Corps bought 20,000 of them last year don't you? Let me guess, a Glock fan. Why is it that so many Glock fans spend so much time trying to tear down the 1911? Just a little strange, isn't it?

Sparkyprep
07-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Eh, I'm not much of a fan of the 1911 either. It was the best of the best for its time, but it's time was a long time ago.

P.S. I hate Glocks

Notsoyoung
07-21-2014, 05:32 PM
As I said, the United States Marine Corps bought 20,000 of them last year. I hardly think that the 1911's time was a long time ago.

Sparkyprep
07-21-2014, 05:37 PM
The military buys a lot of older design stuff. When you have to buy 20,000 of something, you go with the lowest bidder.

Sparkyprep
07-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Well to add on to a comment I made before on the single stack mags. In Afghanistan every double stack mag I used or saw others use tended to hang up and fail to feed due to sand and dust particles getting into them. It never made a difference if I had cleaned it 10 minutes before. After my first tour I switched to the 45's we also had in inventory (a luxury of being SF) because I prefer 8 rounds that will fire over 15 that won't. As for the weight...Carry 45 lbs of body armor and LBE, 100+ lbs of ruck sack for 12 hours climbing 9000 feet up a mountain along the Pakistani border. That little ole puny gun no longer seems SHOCKINGLY HEAVY.
I won't argue your logic. I'm sure you have had way more experience than I. Let's just say 1911's aren't for me.

machinejjh
07-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Love my full size SR1911. Carry it from time to time, but honestly my SR9c is preferred carry for me. Not because the 1911 is heavy or under-rounded (I just made that up), but because I work in or around tight spaces and I don't want to bang it up. The polymer I don't care as much about in appearance.

Notsoyoung
07-22-2014, 06:04 AM
The military buys a lot of older design stuff. When you have to buy 20,000 of something, you go with the lowest bidder.

They bought the 1911's from Colt, hardly the lowest bidder. Glock's would have been cheaper.

How many different gun manufacturers make a 1911? Even Glock announced that they will start making one. Old design doesn't mean obsolete design.

Ordnance21
07-22-2014, 10:33 AM
What is with you M1911A1 haters. If you don't like it, don't buy it. More for me. I like them, have (2) and love, love them. better than any other. I have others but my first love is stronger. Go kiss up to yeager on you tube. Just go away!!!!

MOLON LABE

Pauls
07-22-2014, 01:22 PM
I simply won't carry any semi-auto pistol. I have owned two and neither one could be trusted. The first was a Colt 1911 combat commander. New, out of the box it would not return to battery after firing a shot. I took it apart to see why and every piece in the action was full of burrs. The ejector rod was too long and practically folded the ejected rounds in half from hitting the ejection port. After days with a stone, cleaning the burrs off, I carefully fitted the slide to the frame after acid dipping the entire frame and slide to remove the Colt bluing. I then Parkerized the entire gun, enlarged the ejection port, belled the magazine well and shortened the ejector rod. Lubed and assembled the gun and returned to the range. Using the rest of the factory loads it fired more or less flawlessly - for about 50 rounds. The next mag functioned properly so that ruled out lubrication problems. With reloads I could get it ti fire nearly a hundred rounds between failure to feed or failure to return to battery problems. For a brand new Colt I would have expected much better. I got rid of the gun because I couldn't trust it to be ready when needed.

After a couple of years I tried another in 9mm. I tried every bullet weight and every brand of ammo trying to find something it would shoot straight. I then loaded ammo for it trying from light to heavy bullets and the best group I ever got was with the heaviest bullets that I could find at about an 80% load - it was a dismal 6 inch pattern at 25 yards. I got rid of it too.

I didn't get hurt on either purchase or the sale of the guns but I will probably never trust an auto-loading pistol as long as I live. My 357 and 45 Colt do everything I ask of them. My 357, after well over 40,000 rounds, still shoots five shots inside one inch at twenty-five yards. I am not quite as good with the 45 but it will still work every time I pull the trigger. In the 42 years that I have owned the Ruger 357 I have competed in Hunter's Pistol metallic silhouette, combat training, hunted deer, shot paper and plinked using the same load that I worked up for it for knocking over the metal targets. It is half a grain from a maximum load(back then - the load is now over a grain hotter than listed maximums in most -but not all - books) 19.1 grains of H110 behind a 140 grain JHP. (Do NOT use this load in anything other than a Ruger or Contender)

Arklatex
07-22-2014, 01:55 PM
I have a colt series 70 govt. Model. I have never had any issues whatsoever with it. It is accurate, reliable and it carries well. The slim profile actually hides and rides better than many sub compact glock type handguns. This is the first I've ever heard of someone having major issues with a factory new colt..

Pauls
07-22-2014, 05:15 PM
It figures that I would be the ONE guy that has had problems with a Colt.... I am damned! (OK, it's not that bad but I hate chasing brass anyway)

Notsoyoung
07-23-2014, 06:19 AM
What is with you M1911A1 haters. If you don't like it, don't buy it. More for me. I like them, have (2) and love, love them. better than any other. I have others but my first love is stronger. Go kiss up to yeager on you tube. Just go away!!!!

MOLON LABE

It seems to me that the ones who really hate 1911s are Glock owners, and frankly I don't know why. If you post anything about a 1911 they will jump in and say you should buy a Glock. I seldom see a 1911 owner posting attacks on Glocks unless they are responding to a 1911 attack by a Glock owner. Love your Glock, good for you, but why go out of your way to attack 1911s? It happens so much that I have gotten to the point where I just put it down to "pistol envy".

shootbrownelk
07-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Not surprisingly, most accidental shootings by police on themselves are performed by dim-wit cops with Glocks. Read that stat. on another website sponsored by a well known guns & ammo magazine, if I remember correctly.

9UC
07-24-2014, 10:00 PM
I've got an out of date, antiquated 70 year old USGI 1911 Colt that hands if I were to want to carry an SA auto that I would choose to carry over the any Glock or other plastic based gun. The "heavy" weight complained about above is what makes the gun so darn accurate. Has less felt recoil than my edc which is steel over alloy frame.

dsdmmat
07-25-2014, 01:23 AM
The first major downside is the material. A steel 1911 with a 5 inch barrel is going to be shockingly heavy. With polymer components now equalling or surpassing steel, it is a mystery why anyone would choose to carry a 1911. Almost every major gun manufacturer now produces handguns with polymer frames that are lighter and also recoil less than the 1911 because of improved designs.

The woefully inadequate round capacity of the 1911 is another problem. There is simply no reason to favor a handgun with a capacity of eight or nine rounds when double stack handguns in the same caliber can provide up to 14. Owning a 1911 for the collector's value is understandable, but do not fool yourself into believing that it is still on par with today's handguns.

I guess you missed all those double stack 1911s huh? Para, Springfield, STI just to name a few. I can tell you are a glock fanboy and that is your right, but when the last glock is thrown in the microwave it will be done by a guy carrying a 1911.

Notsoyoung
07-25-2014, 06:48 AM
A little ironic that someone who calls enthusiasts of 1911s at "fanBOYS" then complains about how "shockingly" heavy the 1911 is and complains about it's recoil. Just saying.

RWalls
07-25-2014, 09:01 PM
I guess you missed all those double stack 1911s huh? Para, Springfield, STI just to name a few. I can tell you are a glock fanboy and that is your right, but when the last glock is thrown in the microwave it will be done by a guy carrying a 1911.

Those double stacks were aweful, I had a para ordanance for a while. Never liked it.

dsdmmat
07-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Those double stacks were aweful, I had a para ordanance for a while. Never liked it.

I have 5, 3 that I built they all run pretty good for me.

Arizona Infidel
07-26-2014, 12:16 AM
Don't worry OP, a 1911 is a MANS gun. Not all men can handle them. It's good to know your limitations. My wife can shoot my 1911, but she doesn't really care for it. It's hard for her to shoot with her small girl hands too.

RWalls
07-26-2014, 06:43 AM
I have 5, 3 that I built they all run pretty good for me.

It works fine it's just the frame.

dsdmmat
07-26-2014, 07:27 AM
It works fine it's just the frame.

The frames do take some getting used to being 1/8 inch wider than a normal 1911. I bought the gun smith frame kits and stripped out a couple of my single stacks and hand lapped the slide to the frame. took me a few hours infront of the boob tube with some oil and red buffing compound but I ended up with perfect fits for both my 45 and 38 super. I installed S&A bevertail safeties and their Main spring housing with Mag guide. Makes it seem like you couldnt miss a mag change even if you were throwing the mag from half court.

Pauls
07-28-2014, 08:59 PM
I think that 9 rounds from a 1911 will stop ant 9 people I have ever known. Dead guys don't shoot back and bad guys run away from 22s...

rice paddy daddy
08-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Anybody that thinks a full size 1911 is "shockingly heavy" is obviously an out of shape couch potato gunstore commando.
Suck it up, buttercup. Drop and give me 50.
I own 4 - two Colts, a Rock Island Armory, and a Taurus.
In fact, other than those, the only auto pistols I own are a Colt Model 1903, a Walther P-1 (post war P-38) and a Ruger MkIII.
If someone GAVE me a Glock, I'd sell it and buy a used S&W or Colt revolver. Or two.

Slippy
08-05-2014, 04:07 PM
When I saw Son 2 at 170 lbs bench press 315lbs, that was "schockingly heavy". A 1911 is not.

Innkeeper
08-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Anybody that thinks a full size 1911 is "shockingly heavy" is obviously an out of shape couch potato gunstore commando.
Suck it up, buttercup. Drop and give me 50.
I own 4 - two Colts, a Rock Island Armory, and a Taurus.
In fact, other than those, the only auto pistols I own are a Colt Model 1903, a Walther P-1 (post war P-38) and a Ruger MkIII.
If someone GAVE me a Glock, I'd sell it and buy a used S&W or Colt revolver. Or two.

How do you like the Rock Island Armory 1911? I have been looking at one, but I am still going to keep my 2 Glocks, and my 2 S&W's, I am looking at the RI next and or another S&W but this one will be a GP100 revolver.

I never thought the 1911 was heavy I carried one as an issue in the Army and hated giving it up for the M9, saddest day of my career.

rice paddy daddy
08-05-2014, 08:59 PM
My RIA is a plain-jane GI standard model. No frills, not tactical in any way. It is solid and dependable. I have no qualms whatsoever in recommending it to someone who wants a good 1911A1.
I have no experience with their advanced models, I am of the belief that John Moses Browning's original design should not be messed with.
It compares well with my Colts, but most likely would not last a hundred years like they will.

Innkeeper
08-06-2014, 10:03 AM
My RIA is a plain-jane GI standard model. No frills, not tactical in any way. It is solid and dependable. I have no qualms whatsoever in recommending it to someone who wants a good 1911A1.
I have no experience with their advanced models, I am of the belief that John Moses Browning's original design should not be messed with.
It compares well with my Colts, but most likely would not last a hundred years like they will.

Thanks I was actually looking at the no frills model, I like the original look just like the one I carried in service.

rice paddy daddy
08-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Thanks I was actually looking at the no frills model, I like the original look just like the one I carried in service.
Like any 1911 its weak point is cheap magazines. Those $7.99 magazines should be avoided at all costs.
I got my RIA back in '06 and it came with two Novak magazines, which are high quality. Chip McCormick makes good mags also.
I have not tried to interchange Colt parts into the RIA to see how true to the original it is, one of these days I'll get around to it.
At night when retiring for the evening, I open the nightstand drawer and place a pistol on top. Some nights it is the RIA, some nights it is a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece 38 Special. I would bet my life on either one.

Imaexpat2
08-06-2014, 12:29 PM
39 ounces or less shockingly heavy? Sounds to me like that's coming from a seriously girly boy metro-sexual or a Glock Fanboy trying to justify his choice. I know WOMEN that carry a 1911 as a EDC and DUTY weapon! Furthermore, some of them could give me a serious run for my money at the range on a combat course, leaving me with a fragile ego to protect.

8-9 rounds of 45 ACP (the only caliber a 1911 should be chambered in unless its a 10mm) aint enough to solve the problem or make you comfy, then you obviously haven't looked at the many double stack models out there holding 14+1 in full size models or the sub compacts carrying at least 10. Your argument holds no water!

The situation in New York brings up another good point...magazine restrictions. I still remember the AWB-94 when suddenly the magazines for high capacity 9's became extremely scarce and very expensive when you were able to find someone that would sell one. I personally would much rather have 10 rounds of 45 ACP than 10 rounds of 9mm, 8 days a week!!! Mags for my 9mm were going for about 80-100 bucks each but mags for my 1911 could be had for about 15-30 bucks depending on the quality.

The other little aspect of this debate I will point out is I find it much easier to CC my 1911 than my Taurus PT-99 double stack 9mm even in the sweltering summers of Texas! A double stack Glock is not likely to prove any easier to CC carry. I cant verify that to be a fact since I don't own a Glock yet.

Lets talk about durability for just a minute...I still remember being at the gun store when some poor sap came in with his Glock. Apparently his Lab found it while he was at work and thought it was one of those chew toys. The end result was mans best friend had chewed and nawed the grip area so bad it almost took a crowbar and a vice to get the mags in/out of the frame. The replacement frame cost almost as much as the gun and had a 8-12 week turn around time. He had a choice, wait to get a new frame and go gunless or buy another one for a couple hundred bucks more than the new frame was gonna cost. That aint a problem on my 1911's (yes that's plural!).

Until I got recently laid off, I made my living carrying a gun. I can tell you that there are very few people that want to be arrested and go to jail. A lot of them were just recently released from jail too! As such a lot of them like to resist or fight back. Some of them have been in prison and know how to fight back very effectively since they have nothing else to do but learn from Cop Killers while they were in lock up. I like the fact that my 1911 has a Grip safety that requires a decent grip on the gun to fire it. I also like the fact that the thumb safety, which most forget to disengage in the process of wrestling around with me), that has to be taken off safe to fire in conjunction with that grip safety being flagged inorder to fire my gun at me should they successfully get it away from me. That often buys me the precious split second I need to regain control or resort to a taser or pepper spray or a back up gun. That aint gonna happen with your Glock's safe action Trigger Safety. They pull the trigger on that thing and if there is a round chambered it goes bang and your pushing up daisys, cuase its over for Bozo! I know your probably all big and tough and no one will dare challenge you for your side arm. Well I am 49, 6ft and a pretty buff 200 pounds (yeah I can still pick up quite a few college co-eds despite competition from the frat boys), spent 21 years in the military, worked as a bouncer and got a Phd in kicking peoples butts, worked PD and worked Security including executive protection and that sorta incident described above happens a lot more than I would like to admit when your dealing with career criminals and determined individuals hell bent on bashing your brains in!

You can argue that the Polymer framed guns are lower maintenance. yeah with all that plastic they are lighter and less prone to rust. But Bro' you carrying a gun cuase your life may depend on it, how about wipe it down occasionally and try cleaning it more than once a year for a change! Periodic Maintenance...its a novel concept I know for the lazy that cant imagine having to expend a few minutes of effort every now and again, but its the best way to make sure your equipment is going to work as advertised when you can least afford for it to fail you.

Yes many a 1911 has malfunctioned. Most of these are the result of poor ammo and poor quality magazines, problems that will hamstring any semi auto weapon regardless of the make and model. I have NEVER had a decent brand of 1911, even the plain jane no frills GI models, malfunction with decent full power ammo and quality mags such as those made by Bill Wislon. Even the beat up ones in my military bases armories rarely failed when fed good ammo and from good magazines and these were guns that had been used and abused rode hard and put away wet and had tens of thousands of rounds through them! Im sorry but I just cant see a Glock being able to with stand what a platoon of Marines is going to put them through on a daily basis, its cruel and inhumane punishment in every sense of the word!

You know too...I have often through out my military carrer supported Spe Ops units and trained with them at gun ranges I ran and operated that they often used. I know a few SEAL's that own Glocks as personal weapons but I don't recall ever seeing one on the training range or a deployement or in the armory when we were keeping and maintaining their gear. Now if you know anything about Spec Ops Units...they pretty much have a blank check when it comes to weapons acquisitions and logistics and pretty much get what ever they want and get it when they want it no questions asked. I have to ask...why haven't I seen any Glocks if they are all that and two bags of chips? I have seen quite a few 1911's (some from Les Baer and STI) though even when sigs and berretta were standard issue side arms...but no Glocks.

I have made my living carrying a gun since 1983 till present. I have been in a shit load of armed encounters in the military and a few in the civilian sector. A lot of those involved a 1911 as my defense not that its always been my primary choice in a gun fight, but I am still here and its no accident. There aint no "Runner Up Awards" in a gun fight, there is a winner and there are looser's! The longer I make my living carrying a handgun the more convinced I am that the 1911 is truly a working professionals gun of choice.

Now you can disagree with me and that's cool. To each his own. Your the one that has to live or die with your choice. So the choice is your just don't be late.

Arklatex
08-06-2014, 12:53 PM
I wonder if the op is ever gonna sign in to defend his position.

I agree with expats statement that the 1911 carries well. I bought a Springfield armory XD9 subcompact thinking it would be easier or more comfortable to carry. I was wrong. Even with the smaller size and light weight it was too thick. Double stack just doesn't work for me. Time and Time again i went back to my trusty old colt series 70. I know there are single stack polymer guns out there but i will stick to what works well for me.

Imaexpat2
08-06-2014, 01:00 PM
I love my old Series 70 Colt 1911!!! Its walked a long bloody road like the hero who never ran and although I have several 1911's, its the one I most often have with me.

Notsoyoung
08-06-2014, 05:05 PM
As I keep repeating, last year the U.S. Marines, an organization not known for having a la-de-da attitude towards firearms, bought 20,000 1911's from Colt to replace their 9mm's. They paid roughly $1,000 per firearm for them. Why didn't they save allot of money and go to a "modern" firearm like a Glock?

Innkeeper
08-07-2014, 08:45 AM
Like any 1911 its weak point is cheap magazines. Those $7.99 magazines should be avoided at all costs.
I got my RIA back in '06 and it came with two Novak magazines, which are high quality. Chip McCormick makes good mags also.
I have not tried to interchange Colt parts into the RIA to see how true to the original it is, one of these days I'll get around to it.
At night when retiring for the evening, I open the nightstand drawer and place a pistol on top. Some nights it is the RIA, some nights it is a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece 38 Special. I would bet my life on either one.

I will be ordering mine now, but I think I shall wait a week and see if I get that job in Jays Gun Department now, I have to take them my class schedule for college. This job is going to be bad for my wallet luckily they pay me too. lol

rice paddy daddy
08-07-2014, 08:53 AM
I will be ordering mine now, but I think I shall wait a week and see if I get that job in Jays Gun Department now, I have to take them my class schedule for college. This job is going to be bad for my wallet luckily they pay me too. lol

Oooooo! Employee discount!!!!!
In '06 I paid $399 + tax + call in for my RIA. I don't know what they go for now. Now that the Treasury has printed so much money out of thin air.
You will like your pistol, but like any 1911 it will take 200 - 300 rounds to break in and loosen up a little. I have only fired FMJ and Winchester Silver Tip HP's out of mine but both feed well.

Deebo
08-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Technically speaking, that was not a review, that the op did. It was just biased rhetoric that he probably read somewhere. I have not had the pleasure of firing a 1911, I don't know how the heck I haven't yet.
I kinda think it's been the warhorse for a hundred years fir a reason, and while I love all firearms, I really love the fact that it has off the shelf replacement parts, or so I'm told.
Oneof these days.

Notsoyoung
08-16-2014, 06:24 PM
The 1911 was used during WW1, during which CPL Alvin York with 6 shots from a 1911 killed 6 German soldiers, WW2, Korea, Viet Nam, and now the Marines are going back to it. Fighting men from nearly 100 years ago depended on a 1911 just as Marines today depend on a 1911. I think that says allot about just how good of a firearm the 1911 is.

Txwheels
12-18-2014, 07:46 AM

Personally, anyone that thinks a 1911 is too heavy to carry makes me think 'wimp'

As for only 8 or 9 rounds; If you can hit what you shoot at, you won't need more than that.

hawgrider
12-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Personally, anyone that thinks a 1911 is too heavy to carry makes me think 'wimp'

As for only 8 or 9 rounds; If you can hit what you shoot at, you won't need more than that.Love my Colt made in 1942! Still shoots like a champ!

Infidel
12-18-2014, 10:02 AM

As for only 8 or 9 rounds; If you can hit what you shoot at, you won't need more than that.

Weight doesn't bother me as much as size. My 1911 is my main carry gun but more often than not these days I'm carrying an S&W M36 because it's a lot easier to keep concealed and it's more comfortable. Thus I've reduced myself to 5 shots and still don't feel under gunned especially with a couple of speed loaders.

-Infidel

dsdmmat
12-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Weight doesn't bother me as much as size. My 1911 is my main carry gun but more often than not these days I'm carrying an S&W M36 because it's a lot easier to keep concealed and it's more comfortable. Thus I've reduced myself to 5 shots and still don't feel under gunned especially with a couple of speed loaders.

-Infidel
I love Winter time because I can carry my full size double stack 1911s since all the fricking numbers that the needle on the thermometer points at start with a- in front of them.

Infidel
12-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Yep my 1911 definitely gets more carry time in winter than summer. I'm actually considering buying a pocket gun for shorts and t-shirt weather, the M36 just doesn't carry well in a pocket holster. I was looking at the S&W bodyguard, haven't decided on that yet though.

-Infidel

rice paddy daddy
12-24-2014, 08:06 PM
I don't understand why someone would think an 8 round magazine would be a drawback. Unless they are such a dweeb they only carry the one magazine that is in the gun. Who does that?
My area is so low crime I just carry a 5 shot snub revolver in my front pocket. With an HKS speedloader in the other pocket.

Sparkyprep
12-24-2014, 08:23 PM
I don't understand why someone would think an 8 round magazine would be a drawback. Unless they are such a dweeb they only carry the one magazine that is in the gun. Who does that?
My area is so low crime I just carry a 5 shot snub revolver in my front pocket. With an HKS speedloader in the other pocket.
I only carry the magazine that is in my carry pistol, no extras on me. The extras are carried in my GHB. Of course, my magazines hold 17.

jeff70
12-24-2014, 10:23 PM
I recently sold my colt 1911, I have to say It was a nice shooting gun, and just plain felt good in the hand. But I am trying to stick to 2 calibers in my handguns, 9mm and .357 mag. My buddy who bought my .45 carries it daily.

1moretoy
12-25-2014, 04:31 AM
My 1911 is mostly a safe queen. But when it is out...it's definitely time to wear a belt.

Txwheels
12-25-2014, 07:08 AM
If ya'll want to read a REAL review of a 1911, check the one I wrote for guns dot com. I put it in the gun review section here.