PDA

View Full Version : Deebo inspired Deer Jerky

Inor
12-25-2015, 09:38 PM
The last few years Deebo has been really good about keeping me supplied with really great jerky. Although it is the best jerky I have ever eaten, it has had the undesirable effect of allowing me to slack on experimenting with my own jerky recipes. So with the "free day" today, I decided to try my hand (again) at some deer jerky. We did some a few years ago and it was good, but far from great. After re-reading everything he has written about the subject here and at the other site, I decided to try two more attempts at it.

The first is a Sweet and Spicy Asian flavor:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp liquid smoke
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Frank's Hot Sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tbsp vinegar
1 piece of finely chopped fresh ginger
1 pound deer meat sliced into 1/8 inch thick strips

The second is just a basic pepper jerky:

8 tbsp soy sauce
8 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 tbsp liquid smoke
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp pepper
1 garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion salt
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 pound deer meat sliced into 1/8 inch strips

Both are presently marinading in 1 gallon plastic bags in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Tomorrow evening I will take them out and lay them on drying racks for the dehydrator. The pepper jerky will be sprinkled lightly with some black pepper and some white pepper before dehydrating. The other will be dehydrated as is.

I will let you know how both turn out. I am pretty excited about this because if it works, I am going to consider myself one of the world's great jerky chefs. If they turn out bad then my friend Deebo is a jerk.

Arklatex
12-26-2015, 06:55 AM
So his stuff is all about the recipe? That's good to know. I thought half the magic came from his drying technique with the box fan? I'm excited to hear how yours turns out.

hawgrider
12-26-2015, 08:01 AM
Yeah .... are you doing authentic deedo box fan or dehydrator?

Im fixen to rustle up a batch of ground venison for some jerky gun flat jerky. Mine will hit the smoke shack then the dehydrator.

Inor
12-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Yeah .... are you doing authentic deedo box fan or dehydrator?

Im fixen to rustle up a batch of ground venison for some jerky gun flat jerky. Mine will hit the smoke shack then the dehydrator.

Deebo is all about the box fan. But with 3 dogs and a cat inside my house, I have to use a dehydrator if I want any jerky left for us. :biglaugh:

Deebo
12-26-2015, 11:48 AM
Howdy.....
Deebo is pleased.
Inor, sounds great, I hope the results are as good as it sounds.
Yes, I have been slacking in the jerky making, since February I think, was the last batch.

Deebo
12-26-2015, 11:49 AM
I have a dehydrated and have used it, but the heat does change the flavor.
Both are great, I've even finished some in the oven.

Baglady
12-26-2015, 09:20 PM
I've made it many times, and it was always good. (using the dehydrater) But, I made some about 3 weeks ago, and although I over dried it...the flavor sucked. It just wasn't there.
At least the dogs like it...

Inor
12-26-2015, 09:30 PM
We started it in the dehydrator about an hour ago. It makes the house smell great.

I tried to follow Deebo's instructions to the letter making sure the pieces did not touch on the trays:

Deebo was also very adamant that I should enjoy an adult beverage through the whole process. So for this batch I chose a Surly Abrasive Ale:

We should know in a couple of hours whether Deebo is a genius or a goat. :biglaugh:

Deebo
12-26-2015, 10:58 PM
Looks great, be carefully, if it's on and you fall asleep, it could overdry. Which will need much more beer as a chaser.

Inor
12-27-2015, 12:37 AM
The verdict...

Deebo is a genius.

Ours is not as flavorful as Deebo's. But it is still damn good. I like the Asian better as it as it has a slow burn that builds. Mrs Inor likes the pepper better but said the Asian is damn good. Regardless, both will need more beer as a chaser, not because they are dry.

Thanks my friend!

Deebo
12-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Glad you liked it.