PDA

View Full Version : Ever wondered if a 1955 canned ration is still safe to eat? (VIDEO)

hawgrider
01-26-2016, 06:02 AM
Ever wondered if a 1955 canned ration is still safe to eat? (VIDEO)
1/22/16 | by Chris Eger

Steve1989 over at MREinfo acquired some military rations that dated back to the Korean War era and, waste not/want not, he cracked em open with the P38 and checked em out.

The two B-Unit cans stuffed with crackers, blackberry jam, peanut butter and cocoa beverage (“it tastes like chlorinated hot chocolate”) are from the Ration, Combat, Individual (RCI) system used by the military from 1950-1958 until the C-ration replaced them during the Vietnam-era.

“This peanut butter’s the same age as my mom…
http://www.guns.com/2016/01/22/ever-wondered-if-a-1955-canned-ration-is-still-safe-to-eat-video/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVO8smkZKPU

Dwight55
01-26-2016, 03:33 PM
I could handle anything in those boxes, . . . except the ham and lima beans, . . . even the dog would not eat that.

May God bless,
Dwight

TJC44
01-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Didn't James post this in 'Brag about Your Dinner' once?

Inor
01-26-2016, 09:53 PM
I am sure I told you guys this story once, but it bears telling again.

When I was a kid, my Boy Scout troop got a really good deal on a bunch of old C Rations. We bought about a pallet of them and would use them for our food on our weekend campouts. This was back in the late 70's/early 80's and nobody thought about the fact that the C Rations each contained a small pack of Lucky Strikes containing 3 cigarretts each. After supper, our leaders would go off and do whatever they did (I found out later they were sippin' scotch) and all of us would rush off to the woods to smoke our 9 Luckys each. (3 from each meal.) :biglaugh: The littlest kids would all get sick on the first one and give us older guys the rest of theirs too. Then we would close out the night with fireworks and whatever one of us had hijacked from our parent's liquor cabinet. Good times!

Prepared One
01-27-2016, 04:24 AM
I am sure I told you guys this story once, but it bears telling again.

When I was a kid, my Boy Scout troop got a really good deal on a bunch of old C Rations. We bought about a pallet of them and would use them for our food on our weekend campouts. This was back in the late 70's/early 80's and nobody thought about the fact that the C Rations each contained a small pack of Lucky Strikes containing 3 cigarretts each. After supper, our leaders would go off and do whatever they did (I found out later they were sippin' scotch) and all of us would rush off to the woods to smoke our 9 Luckys each. (3 from each meal.) :biglaugh: The littlest kids would all get sick on the first one and give us older guys the rest of theirs too. Then we would close out the night with fireworks and whatever one of us had hijacked from our parent's liquor cabinet. Good times!

Much like I remember my time in Boy Scouts. ( It was brief ) Smoking and drinking.