PDA

View Full Version : Segregated, but happy..

Baglady
01-26-2016, 01:12 PM
In their new digs! 1910

hawgrider
01-26-2016, 01:14 PM
But thats -

:thatsracist:

Baglady
01-26-2016, 01:21 PM
The white walls are 1/4" 4'x8' sheets of Dry Erase Boards! A friend of ours works at the dump, and a company nearby makes office supplies, like dry erase boards. They throw a bunch of those boards, and other office supplies away, and our buddy loads it up. We pay him 2$ a sheet.
Very useful for many things, like dog houses, etc.

Baglady
01-26-2016, 01:22 PM
But thats -

:thatsracist:

I know, but what are ya gonna do? They just can't get along!

Arklatex
01-26-2016, 01:40 PM
The white walls are 1/4" 4'x8' sheets of Dry Erase Boards! A friend of ours works at the dump, and a company nearby makes office supplies, like dry erase boards. They throw a bunch of those boards, and other office supplies away, and our buddy loads it up. We pay him 2$ a sheet.
That's pretty slick BagLady! Do the whiteboard walls insulate pretty good?

Baglady
01-26-2016, 01:58 PM
That's pretty slick BagLady! Do the whiteboard walls insulate pretty good?

Better than sheetrock, and no mud work! We've used in in customers houses too. One elderly lady on a tight budget had us do all her bathroom walls and ceiling with it. Just had to strip the seams.
We've got it on the walls in our "Pantry" out in the shop.
There's another type that is really heavy and has aluminum on one side. We built a shooting house out of that for one guy. Put a gray metal primer on it and painted it.
He traded us those chain link fences for it.

hawgrider
01-26-2016, 02:22 PM
I like the duplex coop. Have you dug in around the base of your run yet? We had coons try to dig underneath our kennel/run so we had to dig down and attach about 16 inches of fence buried in the ground.

I also see that your roost is lower than your nesting boxes. Hopefully your birds won't try to roost at the highest available spots like the nest boxes. You may not have birds as dumb as mine so it may not be an issue.

Baglady
01-26-2016, 02:30 PM
I like the duplex coop. Have you dug in around the base of your run yet? We had coons try to dig underneath our kennel/run so we had to dig down and attach about 16 inches of fence buried in the ground.

We haven't had any coons or dogs trying to dig under. But then we have one hell of a Coon Hound that pretty well takes care of any critters on 4 legs around here. Hubby will at some point put sheets of tin under the fences.1913

Baglady
01-26-2016, 02:33 PM
That hound had a coon in our pond once! They tried to drown each other. She won.

hawgrider
01-26-2016, 02:42 PM
That hound had a coon in our pond once! They tried to drown each other. She won.

Is the one pooch on the left a redbone or a blue tic?

Baglady
01-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Is the one pooch on the left a redbone or a blue tic?

Put your eyes on Hawg...she's a Blue Tick. ;)

What were you meaning about the roost pole below the nesting box's? Is that a bad idea?

Slippy
01-26-2016, 08:00 PM
Excellent job BL, separating the little bastards if they cant get along.
I like the dry erase board idea. Thumbs up!

hawgrider
01-26-2016, 08:00 PM
Put your eyes on Hawg...she's a Blue Tick. ;)

What were you meaning about the roost pole below the nesting box's? Is that a bad idea?Thought it might be a tick. I was looking at it on my phone so pic is small. I had a blue tick German short hair mix she didnt have any red in her.

Roosts normally are a little higher but if your birds are using the roost and not the boxes I wouldn't worry about it unless they get stupid like my chickens.

Deebo
01-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Awesome work. Reuse is the best.

A Watchman
01-27-2016, 01:24 AM

and....wipe on wipe off?

Baglady
01-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Thought it might be a tick. I was looking at it on my phone so pic is small. I had a blue tick German short hair mix she didnt have any red in her.

Roosts normally are a little higher but if your birds are using the roost and not the boxes I wouldn't worry about it unless they get stupid like my chickens.

So far, we only have nesting box's in the Buffs house, and they haven't ventured to the "second floor" accommodations yet... maybe they're afraid of heights. Maybe we should put the Leghorns in that house since one or two of them have started laying.

BTW, did you ever hear that country song about the guy in prison, who gets his cousin to bring his blue tick bitch to "court" the jailers Redbone hound? The end goes; "Now there's red haired Blue Ticks all through the south, Love got me in here, and love got me out".
So yeah, she's a Red Haired Blue Tick. Pretty common here. Her Daddy was our Walker Hound, and her Mama was our buddies Black and Tan. Go figure.

Baglady
01-27-2016, 12:31 PM
and....wipe on wipe off?

Right. And easy to clean! They say you can teach chickens to do things...should I write the A B C's on the wall?? :p

hawgrider
01-27-2016, 12:39 PM
So far, we only have nesting box's in the Buffs house, and they haven't ventured to the "second floor" accommodations yet... maybe they're afraid of heights. Maybe we should put the Leghorns in that house since one or two of them have started laying.If you dont have nesting boxes for the leghorns and they are laying then absolutely switch them. You will have to train them to use the nesting boxes or you will find eggs all over the place. Put white golf balls in the nesting boxes that will help them figure it out.

Baglady
01-27-2016, 12:52 PM
If you dont have nesting boxes for the leghorns and they are laying then absolutely switch them. You will have to train them to use the nesting boxes or you will find eggs all over the place. Put white golf balls in the nesting boxes that will help them figure it out.

Ok. We'll Git er Dun! Did you read my bit about the red haired blue ticks? I added it after this ^.

hawgrider
01-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Ok. We'll Git er Dun! Did you read my bit about the red haired blue ticks? I added it after this ^.
No didn't see it.. I'll go look.

To help those birds get along... let them free range together during the day. No matter what you do they will peck and tussle to determine pecking order its normal let them duke it out now while they are getting established to the new coop and run.

hawgrider
01-27-2016, 01:01 PM
So far, we only have nesting box's in the Buffs house, and they haven't ventured to the "second floor" accommodations yet... maybe they're afraid of heights. Maybe we should put the Leghorns in that house since one or two of them have started laying.

BTW, did you ever hear that country song about the guy in prison, who gets his cousin to bring his blue tick bitch to "court" the jailers Redbone hound? The end goes; "Now there's red haired Blue Ticks all through the south, Love got me in here, and love got me out".
So yeah, she's a Red Haired Blue Tick. Pretty common here. Her Daddy was our Walker Hound, and her Mama was our buddies Black and Tan. Go figure.Redbone may be a nickname I picked up from the finlander hillbillies when I was living in Wisconsin. We got our bluetick shorthair while in Wisconsin she was a good dog!

Baglady
01-27-2016, 01:03 PM
No didn't see it.. I'll go look.

To help those birds get along... let them free range together during the day. No matter what you do they will peck and tussle to determine pecking order its normal let them duke it out now while they are getting established to the new coop and run.

We did put them together in a 10'x10' pen before we built the houses, but I couldn't stand the way the Leghorn roosters were beating up on the Buff roosters. Besides that, we're not ready to let them "free range". Our barn sits on the corner of 2 roads. I'm afraid they'll get in the road.

Baglady
01-27-2016, 01:05 PM
Redbone may be a nickname I picked up from the finlander hillbillies when I was living in Wisconsin. We got our bluetick shorthair while in Wisconsin she was a good dog!

Redbone is an official hound breed/color. They are solid red.

hawgrider
01-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Redbone is an official hound breed/color. They are solid red.I better look one up and see what they look like then. Thanks

hawgrider
01-27-2016, 01:12 PM
We did put them together in a 10'x10' pen before we built the houses, but I couldn't stand the way the Leghorn roosters were beating up on the Buff roosters. Besides that, we're not ready to let them "free range". Our barn sits on the corner of 2 roads. I'm afraid they'll get in the road.Based on my longtime chicken farmer buddys advise he has had to choose his roosters and thin them out. You may just end up with one rooster. I dont have any roosters but Ive seen his operation and discussed the common to many roosters delima. You don't have to have multiple roosters to service and protect that small flock.
The definition of free range does not necessarily mean allow to roam the whole yard. We fenced off a area that is connected to our run and coop to allow the birds to feed on grass weeds bugs worm and work a compost pile that is free ranging as well as if you were to totally let them roam anywhere.

Baglady
01-27-2016, 01:18 PM
I better look one up and see what they look like then. Thanks

Here's one from the American Cooner Magazine.

Baglady
01-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Based on my longtime chicken farmer buddys advise he has had to choose his roosters and thin them out. You may just end up with one rooster. I dont have any roosters but Ive seen his operation and discussed the common to many roosters delima. You don't have to have multiple roosters to service and protect that small flock.
The definition of free range does not necessarily mean allow to roam the whole yard. We fenced off a area that is connected to our run and coop to allow the birds to feed on grass weeds bugs worm and work a compost pile that is free ranging as well as if you were to totally let them rome anywhere.
Good idea on fencing in a larger area. We can do that. We did have 3 Leghorn Roosters. Gave one to a buddy, and are rotating the other two. We keep one in a cage for a week, then swap them out.
The Buff roosters are gentle. No problems with them so far. We will want to hatch some of both breeds, since they're purebred. Right now you can get $20 for a pair, and $3 a piece for chicks.

hawgrider
01-27-2016, 01:26 PM
Here's one from the American Cooner Magazine.
Love to hear coon dogs at work!

hawgrider
01-28-2016, 06:15 PM
Baglady you can see my free range area along the wood fence. It isn't huge but will sustain 8 chickens all spring summer and fall. It cuts back on the feed and the grass and weeds give the yolks great color and taste.
You can see my make shift sliding door to let them out in the morning. The free range are fence is only about 4 ft high. They don't fly over it at that height. I don't have to clip their wings.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/stuff/20160127_160137_zps11khbpz3.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/stuff/20160127_160137_zps11khbpz3.jpg.html)