PDA

View Full Version : America’s Miracle Meat: The Story of Spam (+ 3 Recipes)

hawgrider
01-28-2016, 07:34 AM
http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads//2015/01/spam3-e1421798911849.jpg

Before being the butt of a joke in 1970, though, it was on the losing end of soldiers’ jokes during WWII. As we’ll see later, Spam supplied our armed forces with many of their meals. Prior to WWII, however, it enjoyed a brief stint as a popular and innovative product born from the ingenuity of southern Minnesotans.

Since its inception in 1937, Spam has earned heaping amounts of both praise and scorn. It’s truly one of those foods that you either love or hate (and in my experience, the haters often haven’t even tried it!). As I’m sure you can already tell, I rather enjoy Spam. And I should; I was born in Spamtown, USA (Austin, MN, that is), where Hormel is headquartered and where Spam is produced. There’s even a fantastic Spam museum there, which is surprisingly popular among Hawaiians visiting the mainland (we’ll see why a bit later) as well as foreign tourists.

Today, we’re going to explore Spam’s fascinating, oscillating history,
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/01/20/americas-miracle-meat-the-story-of-spam-3-recipes/

shootbrownelk
01-28-2016, 09:28 AM
Everyone needs to tour the "Spam Museum" in Austin, Minnesota. It's as American as apple pie...but greasier!

Sarge7402
01-28-2016, 12:20 PM
My wife thought she's make something special for my parents and I wasn't paying too much attention until we got to the table and it was fried spam and sticky rice. It's the only time I ever saw my father (WWII vet) not eat what was on the table.

hawgrider
01-28-2016, 12:25 PM
My wife thought she's make something special for my parents and I wasn't paying too much attention until we got to the table and it was fried spam and sticky rice. It's the only time I ever saw my father (WWII vet) not eat what was on the table.Hahaha yeah Im sure he had his fill of it.

slewfoot
01-28-2016, 01:04 PM
I love spam

hawgrider
01-28-2016, 01:17 PM
I love spamMe too. Over a open fire is a real treat. No not "Treet" That stuff is not as good as spam.

slewfoot
01-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Me too. Over a open fire is a real treat. No not "Treet" That stuff is not as good as spam.
I have never tried treet, I don't believe any knockoff is as good as the real deal.

Sarge7402
01-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Hahaha yeah Im sure he had his fill of it.

There's also a story about canned salmon. Seems that Dad had never experienced cold salmon (served like tuna fish)

hawgrider
01-28-2016, 03:41 PM
I have never tried treet, I don't believe any knockoff is as good as the real deal.
Don't try it its pretty nasty if your taste buds are expecting spam.

RubberDuck
01-28-2016, 03:47 PM
I love fried spam sandwiches.
We seen a highly intoxicated person on our bugout throw a whole can after one bite in the fire I do believe he passed out shortly after memories get a little fuzzy after that.
But somewhere in the range of 12 hours later curiosity got me cause we could still smell cooking spam took oit the can scraped off the black char from the open end of the can.
Surprise perfectly good baked spam tasted great.
I THINK that was kinda fuzzy too

hawgrider
01-28-2016, 04:15 PM
I love fried spam sandwiches.
We seen a highly intoxicated person on our bugout throw a whole can after one bite in the fire I do believe he passed out shortly after memories get a little fuzzy after that.
But somewhere in the range of 12 hours later curiosity got me cause we could still smell cooking spam took oit the can scraped off the black char from the open end of the can.
Surprise perfectly good baked spam tasted great.
I THINK that was kinda fuzzy too He mumbled something like "Too salty" Can with the full chunk of spam flew in the fire pit. LMAO ahh good times!