PDA

View Full Version : What's on you in the woods?

Arklatex
01-29-2016, 02:41 PM
When you go out in the bush, what do you carry on your person? In your pockets or on your belt only. No bags are counted in this topic. Just curious to see what yall carry.

On my belt I carry a buck 119, a leatherman wave in a custom made belt pouch from Infidel and sons leather co. A ferro rod attached to the belt pouch. A ruger GP100 in a Bianchi leather holster.

Pockets have a bic, a streamlight stylus pro flashlight, wallet *including a credit card size fresnel lens* And a bandanna.

And always a hat and sunglasses up top.

shootbrownelk
01-30-2016, 11:03 AM
My vintage Stainless steel S&W "Mountain Gun" in .41 magnum. On old Stag handle 4" German Solingen steel knife. Flint & steel. Two speed loaders filled with 210 gr. hollow points. A cigarette lighter (I don't smoke BTW) appropriate hunting licenses.

DerBiermeister
01-30-2016, 12:38 PM
I haven't hunted for years and probably won't unless we encounter a SHTF event.
My wife and (and sometimes some friends) do a fair amount of hiking. Much of this is done in state parks and nature trails. Up until 2013, guns were forbidden. Now they are allowed and I believe I can carry either open or concealed. But due to a lot of health issues with my wife, we haven't had the opportunity to get back to the hiking. We intend to do so however beginning this coming Spring.

While I am uncomfortable carrying my handguns with open carry around town, etc., I have no qualms doing so in the woods. So, I will probably carry my M&P FS 9 in my G-Code holster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7EIZHig5Hg4

My holster will be attached to this accessory which drops the gun down a bit - very comfortable actually.
http://www.tacticalholsters.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/GCA_30-lg.jpg

Also on my belt (2" cobra rigged) will be my regular K-bar knife, and my Leatherman Charge (tool and kit). In back of the belt, I'll have my regular EPIK medical kit.
http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-tactical-epik-ifak-coyote.html#.Vq0ANKL2bb0
I too carry the credit card size fresnel lens (X5) in my wallet. Among other stuff in my pockets will be my Suunto MC-2 compass. Don't leave home without it!

Finally -- although backpacks were banned from this discussion :mocking: -- I have to carry water and a lot of other stuff, and that's where it will be.

hawgrider
01-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Always have a lighter on me. Old Timer pocket knife. Handgun matched to the activity in the woods. And as much as I hate it a cell phone incase of heart attack or broken body parts. Of course this load out is just for a stroll or short trip to familiar farm lands and woods not a venture out to National Forrest or State land.

Arklatex
01-30-2016, 01:31 PM
Always have a lighter on me. Old Timer pocket knife. Handgun matched to the activity in the woods. And as much as I hate it a cell phone incase of heart attack or broken body parts.
I carry my phone at all times. Never know when a good chance to take a picture will pop up. And the Galaxy phone has a pretty good camera.

hawgrider
01-30-2016, 01:35 PM
I carry my phone at all times. Never know when a good chance to take a picture will pop up. And the Galaxy phone has a pretty good camera.Agree.... we have the same phone it does take decent pictures.

Arklatex
01-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Finally -- although backpacks were banned from this discussion :mocking: -- I have to carry water and a lot of other stuff, and that's where it will be.

I carry a small military haversack type bag if I'm gonna be out all day. My idea for this thread is to see what type of changes folks make to their typical edc when they venture out into the woods. Like you said, open carrying a full size sidearm rather than cc a small one. Plus carrying a full size kabar, etc. Hiking, scouting, hunting, fishing, walking the dog. We change out what's on our person depending on environment. My edc for going to town is way different.

Inor
01-30-2016, 02:03 PM
If I am just going out for the day, I use a small Crown Royal bag and fill it with stuff. My "always haves" include a Gerber multi-tool. Inside the multi-tool leather case, I also include a small set of lock picks. I have a small amount of 550 (maybe 50 feet), a couple space blankets, a compass, matches in a waterproof container, a package of lambswool, a few bandaids plus anything else I think I might need based on where we are going. I just hang the bag from my belt by the drawstring if we are walking or throw it in the saddlebag if we are riding.

Of course, I always have a pocket knife and the rest of my usual pocket-litter that goes with me everywhere.

RubberDuck
01-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Those Crown bags are handy my dad has used them for years an I use them now too.

Inor
01-30-2016, 04:10 PM
Those Crown bags are handy my dad has used them for years an use them now too.

They are great to put fishing reels in too.

RubberDuck
01-30-2016, 04:40 PM
I like them for hand fulls of loose ammo for small game hunting. I use them for my riding glasses in my saddle bags. My bugout bag has a few to organize stuff love them an fun getting them too

Infidel
01-30-2016, 05:17 PM
I always have a pocket knife of some sort on me, these days it's a Benchmade 943. I carry an old Gerber multi-tool on my belt also and when in the woods some sort of fixed blade which could be one of several depending on why I'm there. Also in my pockets in the woods a bic lighter and cell phone as well as at least one reload for whichever handgun is hanging on my belt. Lately that's been the Ruger Blackhawk convertible with the .45 Colt cylinder in it. I keep that stoked with hard cast 255(ish)gr RNFP's over about 9gr of Unique. That should take care of any predator I'm liable to run into in the NY woods. I may or may not have a ferro rod in my pocket but there's always one in my pack.

-Infidel

RubberDuck
01-30-2016, 06:05 PM
Just out on my property or local state land I have a knife an a sidearm ranging from 22lr to 45acp just depends what purpose is out there hunting, foraging or maintenance. Could have machete or hatchet an a pocket full of snacks or lunch.

Dwight55
01-30-2016, 07:29 PM
Pistol, pocket knife, fire starter, cell phone, canteen, and munchies of some sort. These are the essentials.

Then whatever brought me out there: deer rifle, bow, berry bucket, etc.

May God bless,
Dwight

Sparkyprep
01-30-2016, 08:20 PM
My load out for woods walking is pretty similar to my in-town load out. I do change from a concealed carry Shield, to a full size M&P 9. Always have a watch, pocket knife, multi tool (Leatherman), cell phone, and wallet. I state this to fall into rules of OP (no packs), but it should be noted that I would NEVER go into the woods without my pack.

DerBiermeister
01-30-2016, 11:08 PM
I do change from a concealed carry Shield, to a full size M&P 9.

Those are my two primary pistols also. I have to admit that I wasn't completely thrilled with the triggers, so both have had an APEX mod. Ask me how sweet they are now? :chef: