PDA

View Full Version : politics

slewfoot
02-02-2016, 03:46 PM
My wife in all her wisdom will tell people you do not want to get into a discussion with old slew about religion and politics because at the end you may not want to be a friend anymore so don't bring it up.
So with that said let me rant.
As far as I am concerned there is not one damn wanna be presidential candidate worth a chit. I feel that I do not want to even go to the polls and vote but if I don't it is a waste of my vote I have got so tired of there garbage that I will mute the TV if they are on the news or what ever.

My salvation for a while is we are flying to Buenos Aries on February 10th, playing tourist for a couple days then boarding a cruise ship for a trip to the Falkland Islands and on to a trip around the tip of south America, up the pacific side , thru the panama canal and end march 27th in Miami.
I refuse to watch any news programs while on this trip. And I am sure I can drink my share of Knob Creek while on this ship.

I am sure it will be the same garbage when I get back.

Hell might as well throw this bit of news in. been going thru a series of test and have found that I am in the early stages of Alzheimer's. even more reason to party hard.

I call it a bad case of CRS.( can't remember chit.)

hawgrider
02-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Nothing to argue in your rant at all. Its been the lesser of the evils for as long as I can remember.

Sasquatch
02-02-2016, 04:48 PM
I'm too young to remember much about Reagan. Did he get held up after leaving office or were people enthusiastic to vote him in? I ask because it seems like everyone since has been a dud.

hawgrider
02-02-2016, 04:51 PM
I'm too young to remember much about Reagan. Did he get held up after leaving office or were people enthusiastic to vote him in? I ask because it seems like everyone since has been a dud.

Bedtime for Bonzo wasn't all that and a bag of chips either.

He cut taxes to the rich raised taxes on the middle class.

IRAN/Contra.

Tripled the national debt.

Funded terrorist.

Just to name a few things.

Inor
02-02-2016, 04:56 PM

Reagan was awesome. Even after the libs tried to destroy him with Iran-Contra there was still a big effort to get his face on Mt Rushmore. He really was THAT loved by us right-thinking folks. Of course, he drove the libs absolutely crazy and that was just one more reason to love him. At the GOP convention that nominated Bush Sr, Reagan gave the keynote speech. He got a standing ovation for something like 10+ minutes! He was a GREAT GREAT man and we all knew it at the time. That was a very good time to be an American.

hawgrider
02-02-2016, 05:03 PM
He was a lousy actor too.

Oh yeah unemployment was at 11% at the time.

Inor
02-02-2016, 05:13 PM
He was a lousy actor too.

Oh yeah unemployment was at 11% at the time.

No doubt. He put us into a hell of a recession. But it was necessary to kill the runaway inflation of the Carter years. And by the end of his first term, we were making money hand over fist!

DerBiermeister
02-02-2016, 05:19 PM
My salvation for a while is we are flying to Buenos Aries on February 10th, playing tourist for a couple days then boarding a cruise ship for a trip to the Falkland Islands and on to a trip around the tip of south America, up the pacific side , thru the panama canal and end march 27th in Miami.

Are you intending to actually round the Cape or shoot through the Straits of Magellan? The Cape can be treacherous at just about any time of the year. Sounds like you will be there at about the same time of the year -- middle of March in 1788 -- as Captain Bligh and HMAV Bounty. He spent an awful 30 days trying to round and never advanced more than a few miles, whereupon he had to reverse course and head for the Cape of Good Hope, adding some 10,000 miles to his journey to Tahiti.

hawgrider
02-02-2016, 05:42 PM
No doubt. He put us into a hell of a recession. But it was necessary to kill the runaway inflation of the Carter years. And by the end of his first term, we were making money hand over fist!

He was awesome. Especially if you compare him to every president since him.

I could just never get over the fact that a movie star would be elected to the presidency. To me it was the beginning of the end.

DerBiermeister
02-02-2016, 06:00 PM
In 1980, income tax into the Treasury was at $450 Billion and that was with a top tax rate of somewhere close to 80%.
In 1988, income tax into the Treasury was at $900 Billion and Reagan had cut the top tax rate down to 38%. There is a clear message there for those who care to look. It's called 'trickle down' economics and it works. That move spurred growth in the country like never seen before.

As for the national debt - people forget that he had a liberal Democrat Congress that was responsible. He fought it as best he could.

TJC44
02-02-2016, 07:11 PM
First off. Slewfoot, enjoy your vacation. The thought of ALZ scares the Hell out of me (it runs in my family). I have not been tested although I seem to suffer CRS. Cruises are great, went on one for my honeymoon (wife #2). Swipe a card, they give you a drink. Bring suntan lotion (it's summer down there) and mosquito repellant (ZIKA virus). I looked like a cooked lobster at one of the dinners.

To the follow on posts.
I liked Reagan. He didn't take shit from anyone. Yes, he had Iran-Contra, but honestly, what president doesn't have a skeleton in their closet. He spent a boatload on Defense, in my eyes, a boost to the economy. He was the last decent CINC we had.

Arklatex
02-02-2016, 08:51 PM
I'll simplify it for you. Vote for whoever is running against the left. Thanks. Be it Cruz, Trump or whoever. Just vote. Please.

TJC44
02-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Ha!
I bought the house 10 months ago.
Stopped by the town hall tonight to register to vote.
Registrar of voters office is open 4 hours a week, 9-11 on Tuesday, & 9-11 on Thursday.
WTF!

Prepared One
02-03-2016, 07:13 AM
He was awesome. Especially if you compare him to every president since him.

I could just never get over the fact that a movie star would be elected to the presidency. To me it was the beginning of the end.

Hawg ole' buddy. Can electing a community organizer be any worse? I will take the "B" actor any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Our choices today are, well, underwhelming to say the least.

slewfoot
02-03-2016, 09:25 AM
In my book Reagan was a great president.

slewfoot
02-03-2016, 09:41 AM
First off. Slewfoot, enjoy your vacation. The thought of ALZ scares the Hell out of me (it runs in my family). I have not been tested although I seem to suffer CRS. Cruises are great, went on one for my honeymoon (wife #2). Swipe a card, they give you a drink. Bring suntan lotion (it's summer down there) and mosquito repellant (ZIKA virus). I looked like a cooked lobster at one of the dinners.

To the follow on posts.
I liked Reagan. He didn't take shit from anyone. Yes, he had Iran-Contra, but honestly, what president doesn't have a skeleton in their closet. He spent a boatload on Defense, in my eyes, a boost to the economy. He was the last decent CINC we had.
Thanks TJC, I am not going to let the diagnoses bother me at this time to much life to live. We cruise once a year , living in SW Florida we are use to having a good suntan lotion on hand. I wear long sleeve wick dry shirts due to several surgery's to remove skin cancers. Bug spray is packed, Mrs. Slew has a list and she starts packing about 6 months in advance.

slewfoot
02-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Are you intending to actually round the Cape or shoot through the Straits of Magellan? The Cape can be treacherous at just about any time of the year. Sounds like you will be there at about the same time of the year -- middle of March in 1788 -- as Captain Bligh and HMAV Bounty. He spent an awful 30 days trying to round and never advanced more than a few miles, whereupon he had to reverse course and head for the Cape of Good Hope, adding some 10,000 miles to his journey to Tahiti.
After leaving the Falkland islands we will be cruising the straits of Magellan Making a stop at Punta Arenas

Baglady
02-03-2016, 03:16 PM
I wish you and your wife, a "Bon Voyage"! What an amazing trip that will be. Will you check in here along the way, or will we have to wait until you come back to hear about your journey??

Inor
02-03-2016, 11:01 PM
Slew -

I have been chewing on this response for about 24 hours. Have an awesome vacation! I am jealous.

On the other, know my prayers are with you and your family. Sorry, that is the best I can come up with.

-M-

Slippy
02-04-2016, 06:14 AM
My wife in all her wisdom will tell people you do not want to get into a discussion with old slew about religion and politics because at the end you may not want to be a friend anymore so don't bring it up.
So with that said let me rant.
As far as I am concerned there is not one damn wanna be presidential candidate worth a chit. I feel that I do not want to even go to the polls and vote but if I don't it is a waste of my vote I have got so tired of there garbage that I will mute the TV if they are on the news or what ever.

I refuse to watch any news programs while on this trip. And I am sure I can drink my share of Knob Creek while on this ship.

I am sure it will be the same garbage when I get back.

Hell might as well throw this bit of news in. been going thru a series of test and have found that I am in the early stages of Alzheimer's. even more reason to party hard.

I call it a bad case of CRS.( can't remember chit.)

Slew my old buddy,

Have a great vacation and enjoy yourself as I know you will!

As far as the Alzheimer's, Mrs Slippy's mother has a full blown case and so far is still a wonderful lady to be around. Mrs S helps her 3 days a week and has been for the last year.

At this point in the disease, every day is a new day for her. Every meal is a new taste, every story I tell her is a new story yet it may be 20 years old. She smiles and laughs and every time our dogs come to her for some loving, its a new dog to her and she's thrilled for us to have a new dog, even though they are not new to us.

A few weeks ago we watched a movie and she was so thrilled that the US Men's Hockey Team beat the Soviets, she talked about how proud she was that we won! We also watched a feel good movie about some guy from Philly named Rocky! It was new to her and she loved it.

Sure, its a frustrating disease but meds do exist to help. I'll pray for you my friend, and know that you'll be fine.

Slip

slewfoot
02-04-2016, 10:17 AM
I wish you and your wife, a "Bon Voyage"! What an amazing trip that will be. Will you check in here along the way, or will we have to wait until you come back to hear about your journey??
For the first time out of all the trips we have taken over the years I have purchased a notebook and plan on keeping a daily log. Have thought about writing a travel blog but we will see. internet is spotty at best in that part of the world so I will wait until we return to post about the trip. If you and others would like I will start a thread and post my notes along with pictures.

hawgrider
02-04-2016, 10:19 AM
For the first time out of all the trips we have taken over the years I have purchased a notebook and plan on keeping a daily log. Have thought about writing a travel blog but we will see. internet is spotty at best in that part of the world so I will wait until we return to post about the trip. If you and others would like I will start a thread and post my notes along with pictures.Yes good idea looking forward to it.

Baglady
02-06-2016, 07:59 PM
For the first time out of all the trips we have taken over the years I have purchased a notebook and plan on keeping a daily log. Have thought about writing a travel blog but we will see. internet is spotty at best in that part of the world so I will wait until we return to post about the trip. If you and others would like I will start a thread and post my notes along with pictures.
Yes please! :headbang:

Inor
02-06-2016, 08:11 PM

Absolutely!

slewfoot
02-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Leaving for the airport in 1 hour. I am so happy that I do not have to hear one stupid politician run his/her mouth for 7 weeks. see you on the return.

hawgrider
02-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Leaving for the airport in 1 hour. I am so happy that I do not have to hear one stupid politician run his/her mouth for 7 weeks. see you on the return.Enjoy the trip!

Inor
02-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Leaving for the airport in 1 hour. I am so happy that I do not have to hear one stupid politician run his/her mouth for 7 weeks. see you on the return.

Have fun Slew!!!

rice paddy daddy
02-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Reagan was awesome. Even after the libs tried to destroy him with Iran-Contra there was still a big effort to get his face on Mt Rushmore. He really was THAT loved by us right-thinking folks. Of course, he drove the libs absolutely crazy and that was just one more reason to love him. At the GOP convention that nominated Bush Sr, Reagan gave the keynote speech. He got a standing ovation for something like 10+ minutes! He was a GREAT GREAT man and we all knew it at the time. That was a very good time to be an American.

Reagan was one of the greatest Presidents this country has ever had. For many, many different reasons.

For me, personally, the biggest impact he had on my life was to get the American people to understand that the men and women who fought in Vietnam were not evil, but simply doing their duty to our country. Honorable people doing their job.
Compare this to the Carter years - there was a fear among veterans, based on the political climate in Washington, that we as a group could very well be charged with war crimes.

Reagan got the public to see that their treatment of Vietnam veterans was shameful. I believe (as many, many others do) that the way current veterans are treated was a direct result of that.
And I am grateful that today all veterans are treated with dignity.

Inor
02-10-2016, 10:47 PM
Reagan was one of the greatest Presidents this country has ever had. For many, many different reasons.

For me, personally, the biggest impact he had on my life was to get the American people to understand that the men and women who fought in Vietnam were not evil, but simply doing their duty to our country. Honorable people doing their job.
Compare this to the Carter years - there was a fear among veterans, based on the political climate in Washington, that we as a group could very well be charged with war crimes.

Reagan got the public to see that their treatment of Vietnam veterans was shameful. I believe (as many, many others do) that the way current veterans are treated was a direct result of that.
And I am grateful that today all veterans are treated with dignity.

Absolutely! And for kids like me that were taught in the the late 70's and early 80's that the Vietnam war was fought for the only reason of giving connected generals a pipeline to more medals, he proved them wrong.

My most vivid memory of President Reagan is that he made me proud to be American again.

Coppertop
02-11-2016, 07:21 AM
"My most vivid memory of President Reagan is that he made me proud to be American again. " by Inor

That is pretty much how I remember him. I was old enough to see what was going on in the world but not old enough to understand a lot of it. I am so disheartened by politicians- As some one said, we have to pick the lesser of the evils. I am scared to see what my kids and grand kids have to deal with. I think that we are getting away from what made this country great and I think we are really starting to see the toilet bowl spin.

I took a history class a few years ago that studied the Roman Empire in some detail. I see a ton of similarities between the fall of the Empire and where the US is right now. It's too bad that the politicians can't see past their pocket book to realize they are driving us off the cliff. History proves that we are in a tailspin and no one is stopping it.

Coppertop

hawgrider
02-11-2016, 07:47 AM
Absolutely! And for kids like me that were taught in the the late 70's and early 80's that the Vietnam war was fought for the only reason of giving connected generals a pipeline to more medals, he proved them wrong.

My most vivid memory of President Reagan is that he made me proud to be American again.Yeah I can see I'm out numbered on this one I guess I just don't like anyone! I just don't have the same warm and fuzzy feeling about him as you guys. I guess it makes me the outsider black sheep.

Inor
02-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Yeah I can see I'm out numbered on this one I guess I just don't like anyone! I just don't have the same warm and fuzzy feeling about him as you guys. I guess it makes me the outsider black sheep.

That's okay Hawg. We still like you. Even I thought I was wrong once. But I was mistaken. :biglaugh:

DerBiermeister
02-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Even with a great President such as Reagan, look at all the bullshit we had to go through with the incessant hounding by the Liberals. Iran/contra for example. It won't be any different IF we are lucky enough to get a Conservative in the White House this coming November. The knives will be out like never before. It'll make Iran/Contra look like a Sunday walk in the park. That is how bad relations with liberals have become. We really are not too far away from open warfare with these pukes.

Inor
02-11-2016, 08:27 AM
We really are not too far away from open warfare with these pukes.

You are 110% correct. Which should give you an idea of just stupid liberals are. We're the guys with all of the guns...

hawgrider
02-12-2016, 09:32 AM
Interesting how this article popped up today.... Enjoy fellas:beerchug:

http://offgridsurvival.com/wp-content/themes/church_10/images/2016/02/reagan.jpg

“How dare you say anything about the great Conservative Ronald Reagan!”

Well, let’s take a look at the real Ronald Reagan and his record on guns.

Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986

While the NRA likes to pretend the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 was “the most sweeping rollback of gun control laws in history,” the facts don’t really support that claim.

On May 19th, 1986 Ronald Reagan signed the Firearm Owners Protection Act. Sounds great until you realize the bill actually banned the sale of all full-auto firearms to civilians, which eventually opened the door to restricting civilian access to semiautomatic firearms.

Reagan Helped Push the Brady Bill & Mandatory Background Checks

Two years after he left office, Reagan helped push through one of the biggest attacks on the second amendment to be signed into law, the Brady Bill. In 1991, he wrote an op-ed for The New York Times, which helped galvanize Republican support for the bill. Without his efforts, the bill would have never passed

Helping to Ban Semi-Auto Rifles – or so-called “assault weapons”

While this law was passed well after his time in office, Reagan played a critical role in pushing through the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994. He used his power and influence as a former President to lobby Republican Congressmen and Senators into supporting the bill.
http://offgridsurvival.com/anti2ndamendmentrepublicans/