PDA

View Full Version : Where do you look for metal purchases?

Coppertop
02-07-2016, 08:43 AM
I am thinking of putting a few bucks here and there into silver and such. What do you do/where do you go to get this stuff? I am nervous about being taken on Ebay and those places and I'm sure that the sales sites have a mark up.

Need some guidance/help/ideas.

Thanks
Coppertop

Baglady
02-07-2016, 08:40 PM
Hit the creeks CT! Your in Montana. Good gold there. Anyhow, that's what my Hubby and I do.
Except not in Mississippi...aint no gold here...:(

shootbrownelk
02-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Ask William Devane.

DerBiermeister
02-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Ask William Devane.

or even Glen Beck

https://www.goldline.com/why-buy/beck-medal-landing-page

William Devane's sponsor is Rosland Capital

https://www.roslandcapital.com/

Either one of these two are probably OK. Not sure on what their mark-up is though. You might do better by contacting a big investment firm like Charles Schwab and asking for their advice.

RWalls
02-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Ebay has some decent prices.

shootbrownelk
02-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Ebay has some decent prices.

Would you buy precious metals on E-Bay? I know nothing about buying gold or silver, but I do know there are a lot of BAD deals on E-bay and the internet.

RWalls
02-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Would you buy precious metals on E-Bay? I know nothing about buying gold or silver, but I do know there are a lot of BAD deals on E-bay and the internet.

Yes, I have. But it has to be a reputable dealer.

Apmex comes to mind: http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/141828463317

shootbrownelk
02-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the info Walls

Baglady
02-09-2016, 02:45 PM
You can also buy a metal detector and find silver and gold...rings, coins, etc.
Fun for the whole family.

Montana Rancher
08-21-2016, 12:11 AM
I am thinking of putting a few bucks here and there into silver and such. What do you do/where do you go to get this stuff? I am nervous about being taken on Ebay and those places and I'm sure that the sales sites have a mark up.

Thanks
Coppertop

[QUOTE=Coppertop;44858]I am thinking of putting a few bucks here and there into silver and such. What do you do/where do you go to get this stuff? I am nervous about being taken on Ebay and those places and I'm sure that the sales sites have a mark up.

Thanks

I'm sorry for the late reply, life has a way doing that.

I probably own more precious metals than anyone else on this site, an origionally eBay was a decent place to get some but not anymore as the Chinese have made an art of reproducing silver dollars and even deceiving dealers.

At this point I think your best source is your local dealer and if you only have a small amount to invest, get "junk" dimes and quarters which are not worth enough for Chinese counter fitters to bother with.

Arklatex
08-21-2016, 08:58 AM
What about some of the online dealers? I've bought from a couple in the past. But price wise I'm not sure how they compare to a local dealer. The local places are far away so I've never been.

shootbrownelk
08-21-2016, 09:42 AM
What about some of the online dealers? I've bought from a couple in the past. But price wise I'm not sure how they compare to a local dealer. The local places are far away so I've never been.

In my opinion Ark, the smart money will be in Guns/Loaded ammo and reloading supplies. A good stock of .22 LR as well. This is all dependent on who wins the upcoming Presidential election.....If it be Over-the-Hillary....we be in deep doo-doo. As she once said, "I'm going to declare war on the NRA". And she will include the Second Amendment and legal gun owners sure as s**t.

Arklatex
08-21-2016, 10:52 AM
In my opinion Ark, the smart money will be in Guns/Loaded ammo and reloading supplies. A good stock of .22 LR as well. This is all dependent on who wins the upcoming Presidential election.....If it be Over-the-Hillary....we be in deep doo-doo. As she once said, "I'm going to declare war on the NRA". And she will include the Second Amendment and legal gun owners sure as s**t.

I'm definitely with you on that. I do like to buy some PM every now and then as well as a safe way to protect money from inflation.

hawgrider
08-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Precious metals = Lead and brass.

Everything else is a waste of resources.

Inor
08-21-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm definitely with you on that. I do like to buy some PM every now and then as well as a safe way to protect money from inflation.

I have had very good luck buying from Kitco.

http://www.kitco.com/

They do charge a premium, but they are a respected firm so I know that what I am buying is real. Their web site is a great place to do a little PM research. Plus they are based in Montreal so I am pretty sure they are not reporting my purchases to the U.S. government.

Arklatex
08-21-2016, 12:21 PM
I have had very good luck buying from Kitco.

http://www.kitco.com/

They do charge a premium, but they are a respected firm so I know that what I am buying is real. Their web site is a great place to do a little PM research. Plus they are based in Montreal so I am pretty sure they are not reporting my purchases to the U.S. government.
That's a pretty neat site just for the data. Thanks!

Coppertop
09-09-2016, 08:32 AM
Thanks everyone,

I have decided to do all of the above. I added to the arsenal- to bad everything fell into the ocean the next day. But the few rounds of ammo I picked up and some "junk" coins I got are still here. I have been looking at Kitco and talking to a guy I know who buys a bunch of silver off e-bay. I'm still pretty nervous about doing that though. Don't have much yet, but I'm working on it slowly. Just like the rest of the self sustaining things I work on.

Coppertop

franklin
01-12-2018, 11:10 AM
Older thread but I'll add some thoughts to keep this going.

I generally buy from JMBullion. They are competitive in price and have a solid reputation. I don't try to squeeze every penny out of these transactions as my coin purchases are for what I believe will be hard times and increased PM prices.
So a couple % one way or another won't make a real difference. No need to take risk for that difference. Years ago there were shows with dealers and you could price shop. Buying known coins so little risk of counterfeits.
These days I don't know of many, if any, shows in my area. And I'm not fully up on current coins and counterfeit activities.
I have been buying coins since the early 70's and still have my first Krugerrand. Actually since they banned them for a while I keep it as a token of the resistance.

StratBastard
03-07-2019, 12:33 AM
I have purchased from APMEX in the past and been very satisfied.
Now, I like to purchase over the counter with no paper trail... cash for PM's, no names.
There are a LOT of counterfeit gold coins and bars out there. FIND and stick with a local dealer (usually a gold/silver jewelry shop rather than a pawn shop) who has the following:
A full set of Fisch scales and ringers. These allow the seller to demonstrate to you the coin is the correct weight, thickness, and can ring the coin to see if it contains a copper, tungsten center rather than gold.
Even better, there is now electronic testing, whereas the device sends a beam THROUGH the coin/bar to verify it is solid gold.
Invest a few emails to your local dealers to find if they have the proper equipment. My dealer puts each coin I buy on the beamer for me to see.
Check the spot price of gold every morning you plan to buy. Your 1 oz. gold coin should cost around $50 above spot.