PDA

View Full Version : This Outdoorsman Built a Cabin from Shipping Containers

hawgrider
03-01-2016, 08:11 AM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-0/s640x640/11390302_721145288007293_446947752711595017_n.jpg? oh=d99d06ae8aae254f5bb3e8a96c001b2b&oe=5766A3F2

Score one for ingenuity, an outdoorsman in Ottawa, Canada built this inexpensive cabin in the woods out of three shipping containers. According to the Daily Mail, 29-year-old Joseph Dupuis acquired the shipping containers for roughly $3,400 Canadian each, and built the entire cabin for less than $20,000. Judging by the quality of the cabin seen in the photos below, that is quite the steal.
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/02/29/photos-this-outdoorsman-built-a-cabin-from-shipping-containers/

Slippy
03-01-2016, 10:42 AM
As much crap as I give people who want to build a "prepper" utopia using shipping containers, I've seen some really cool ones converted to cabins on recreational property.

One of these days I might try converting one into an extra bunkhouse for guests.

hawgrider
03-01-2016, 11:33 AM
As much crap as I give people who want to build a "prepper" utopia using shipping containers, I've seen some really cool ones converted to cabins on recreational property.

One of these days I might try converting one into an extra bunkhouse for guests.That's what interests me is the recreational property aspect. When your done having a weekend of fun close it up locked up tight. I would think it would be pretty secure made of all metal. Now windows for the local heathens to break out. Nice strong door would keep all but the very determined thugs from a B&E and relatively cheap.

But then there are the issues of township ordinances and red tape that keep people from using these more often and in more places.

One of these would make the ultimate deer camp.

Slippy
03-01-2016, 08:05 PM
That's what interests me is the recreational property aspect. When your done having a weekend of fun close it up locked up tight. I would think it would be pretty secure made of all metal. Now windows for the local heathens to break out. Nice strong door would keep all but the very determined thugs from a B&E and relatively cheap.

But then there are the issues of township ordinances and red tape that keep people from using these more often and in more places.

One of these would make the ultimate deer camp.

I agree Hawg. Our home is only a 2 bedroom but we have a fairly large unfinished basement. During the holidays, we might have a handful of my nephews and nieces and a few of their girlfriends or boyfriends scattered in the basement. I don't particularly like most of them but I like their parents so I put up with their sorry asses.

A shipping container converted to a bunk house located a hundred or so yards from the house might be a good option to house the little bastards.

During the rest of the year when nobody visits, I can keep my ammo and cases of bourbon in the bunkhouse!

OSFG
03-01-2016, 08:26 PM
I agree Hawg. Our home is only a 2 bedroom but we have a fairly large unfinished basement. During the holidays, we might have a handful of my nephews and nieces and a few of their girlfriends or boyfriends scattered in the basement. I don't particularly like most of them but I like their parents so I put up with their sorry asses.

A shipping container converted to a bunk house located a hundred or so yards from the house might be a good option to house the little bastards....e!

Plus it would make waking them up in the morning fun...sledge hammer....boooonnnnngggg.....booooonnnnggggg.

Dwight55
03-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Plus it would make waking them up in the morning fun...sledge hammer....boooonnnnngggg.....booooonnnnggggg.

OSFG, . . . you got a mean streak in you, . . . I can tell.

Call me if you get to do it, . . . I'll help,.........he,he,he.

May God bless,
Dwight

hawgrider
03-02-2016, 04:16 AM
Haha as it is now there is always someone who fires off the wake your sorry asses up rounds.

RubberDuck
03-02-2016, 04:25 AM
That's right hung over or not if I'm up they're getting up too.

hawgrider
03-02-2016, 04:31 AM
That's right hung over or not if I'm up they're getting up too.

Haha speaking of one of the culprits lol

Gambit
03-02-2016, 06:30 AM
you can ruin the container using a sledgehammer I prefer a little more interesting way :pyro:
you should get mega boom speakers and put the base on high and have it face flat against the walls so it be like those @$$HOLES who have those base vibration from the cars that rattles windows.
make sure you have those ear muff things on.

Arklatex
03-02-2016, 08:26 AM
That guy did a damn nice job I like it! I've been thinking of making a fishing cabin out of one over by the pond. It could double as a place for guests too.

Gambit
03-02-2016, 12:00 PM
only issue I have with them are the cost a shed can be far cheaper but like I said the cost only issue.
they can out last a house and pretty much not allot of storms can really do anything to them.
in time I would like to have a piece of land (not anytime soon) I would not mind having one of those turned into a cabin.
I shall call it the Gambit's super awesome hyper mega get away fort, I can dream cant I?

Arklatex
03-02-2016, 06:54 PM
I like how they did this one as a tornado shelter

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160303/f68d12b4c87dc3bd613138ae2000d1c8.jpg

hawgrider
03-02-2016, 07:05 PM
I like how they did this one as a tornado shelter

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160303/f68d12b4c87dc3bd613138ae2000d1c8.jpg

Not only so you don't blow to Kansas but cool in the summer warm in the winter. I like it.

OSFG
03-02-2016, 10:36 PM
you can ruin the container using a sledgehammer I prefer a little more interesting way :pyro:
you should get mega boom speakers and put the base on high and have it face flat against the walls so it be like those @$$HOLES who have those base vibration from the cars that rattles windows.
make sure you have those ear muff things on.

Sheeeeet If you had kin like mine..... That container would look like a used sheet of aluminum foil after a visit or two and I'd still be grinning and a banging on that sumbitch each morning...as a matter of fact, I'd bet you could bang out a decent Calypso tune on it after a week long visit,

shootbrownelk
03-03-2016, 08:20 AM
One of those would be a hot sum-bitch in the summer I would think....the ones above ground. And no air circulation is a negative.