PDA

View Full Version : Expired or Edible? How to Tell If Scavenged Food and Drink Still Safe for Consumption

hawgrider
03-07-2016, 05:56 AM
Questionable Cans
Intact canned foods may last up to 10 years under ideal storage conditions, but what about the funny looking cans? The dented and dinged cans may still be fine, and there’s an easy way to check. The canning process creates a weak vacuum inside the container. This means that air should be sucked in when the can opener first pierces the lid. If you place a few drops of potable water on the lid, then place the can opener on that spot and squeeze – the drops should be sucked into the can when the seal is broken. If the water blows out and away, the can was under pressure and should not be used. The conditions to produce botulinum toxin is one of the reasons why a can may build pressure, and even a tiny amount of this toxin can lead to a fatal case of botulism.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/expired-or-edible-how-tell-if-scavenged-food-and-drink-still-safe-consumption

spork
03-07-2016, 08:21 AM
Interesting trick with the canned goods. I have to ask about another part of the article. He talks about avoiding stuff like meat, dairy, eggs. The meat and dairy I would understand. But the eggs? Couldn't you do the trick with trying to see if they float in water and decide how "fresh" they are by how they sit on the bottom or float?

hawgrider
03-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Interesting trick with the canned goods. I have to ask about another part of the article. He talks about avoiding stuff like meat, dairy, eggs. The meat and dairy I would understand. But the eggs? Couldn't you do the trick with trying to see if they float in water and decide how "fresh" they are by how they sit on the bottom or float?

Yes the can trick I was not aware of. Pretty neat!

Eggs- Store bought have been washed not refrigerated don't risk it.

Eggs- From someones coop or say you ran into some free range chickens they will last longer not refrigerated if they have not been washed. Mother nature leaves a protective coating on them.

Yes we use the float test if there is ever any question on good or not or too old or not.