PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a good set of OffRoad/OnRoad Tires for Jeep JK Rubicon

Slippy
03-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Arklatex is our resident Tire Expert so hopefully he'll chime in. Its time for me to replace my tires on my Jeep Wrangler Rubi. The factory tires are BF Goodrich Mud Terrain Tires that were pretty damn good but we drive the jeep on the road as much as off road. We got 40k miles on the original factory tires.

Any suggestions for a good hybrid on road/off road tire?

BucketBack
03-12-2016, 11:42 AM
What size rim do you have and what profile tire do you have now

Arklatex
03-12-2016, 11:45 AM
These are some of the best all terrains you can get. Made in Texarkana:

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-A-T3.aspx

Very good on the road and long lasting while still giving you damn good traction off road. You can always get more extreme off road type tires but they wear out a lot faster if you spend more time on pavement...

Here are some other options: http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck.aspx

Not sure if my discount will work for you but tell me what size you want and I'll see. I can also take a look at what off brand tires we make are the same thing with a different name cooked into the sidewall. You can save lots of money that way.

BucketBack
03-12-2016, 12:12 PM
I'm on my second set of coops on the Caravan

Slippy
03-12-2016, 04:46 PM
These are some of the best all terrains you can get. Made in Texarkana:

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-A-T3.aspx

Very good on the road and long lasting while still giving you damn good traction off road. You can always get more extreme off road type tires but they wear out a lot faster if you spend more time on pavement...

Here are some other options: http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck.aspx

Not sure if my discount will work for you but tell me what size you want and I'll see. I can also take a look at what off brand tires we make are the same thing with a different name cooked into the sidewall. You can save lots of money that way.

Sweet looking tire, I'm going to do some research and may get back to Ark! Meanwhile, I'm fixing' to get some adult beverages down my gullet this evening.

Slippy
03-12-2016, 04:47 PM
I'm on my second set of coops on the Caravan

That cracked me up Bucket!

A Watchman
03-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Hey Ark .... I am driving the last vehicle left from liquidating my former business. I bought it new ... a 2010 F-150 4 wheel drive crew cab. I have 62k on it and still running the Good Year Wranglers that was put on it when I bought it. I am still legal for about another 5k.

My local dealer is trying to get me to go Toyo ..... what do you think/suggest? I run 295/65/18 on/off tires. A tire for my truck doesn't come cheap so I want to get the mileage out of them while being able to navigate wet dirt roads.

What's my move?

Arklatex
03-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Hey Ark .... I am driving the last vehicle left from liquidating my former business. I bought it new ... a 2010 F-150 4 wheel drive crew cab. I have 62k on it and still running the Good Year Wranglers that was put on it when I bought it. I am still legal for about another 5k.

My local dealer is trying to get me to go Toyo ..... what do you think/suggest? I run 295/65/18 on/off tires. A tire for my truck doesn't come cheap so I want to get the mileage out of them while being able to navigate wet dirt roads.

What's my move?
Maybe you aught to head up my way. I know my discount works in person at the factory direct shop in Texarkana. Those Goodyear wranglers are also a great choice, I had a set on my tacoma and they were excellent.

Sparkyprep
03-12-2016, 07:40 PM
Slippy, for off-road and on road driving, the gold standard are BF Goodrich All-Terrains. They are the best, hands down. However, they are also probably the most expensive. I have also heard good things about Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Slippy
03-13-2016, 07:09 AM
Slippy, for off-road and on road driving, the gold standard are BF Goodrich All-Terrains. They are the best, hands down. However, they are also probably the most expensive. I have also heard good things about Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Thanks Sparky, the dealership closest to me said the same thing. Good tires ain't cheap.

BucketBack
03-13-2016, 07:15 AM
I bought some 235/75 x 15" Wranglers from Wally World $371 OTD mounted and balanced.

They have good grips and work well in warm weather, in the snow not so much
Sadly the Tonka BowTie they're mounted on needs a fuel pump that I haven't gotten around to yet

A Watchman
03-13-2016, 08:00 AM

The BF's are great tires performance wise. Was always my go to tire for an AT. I just never got excellent mileage out of them, maybe 40-45k and were pricey. Figured it was norm, until I ran the Goodyear Wranglers last time I bought and will likely see close to 70k on them with only occasional rotating. Still pricey though.

I see a lot of Nito's around here but mostly on the lift kit and oversized crowd's toys.

Targetshooter
03-14-2016, 08:03 AM
I have a set of Generals on my jeep and I love them,, sold the BF's didn't like the humming I was getting on the highway .

shootbrownelk
03-15-2016, 08:35 AM
My next set of tires for my Toyota Tundra will be Cooper AT/3's. I have Yokahamas on it now, and the wet traction sucks. We just bought my wife a set of Cooper tourings for her Honda CRV. The difference in handling between them and the Goodyears that were on it is startling. We bought ours from Discount Tires Direct....Great price, No sales tax and Free Shipping to your door. Look them up.

S.....P......
03-15-2016, 09:36 AM
I am limited in choice to exactly 2 tires in the size I want to run 255/80/17. BFG MT KM2 and Cooper ST Maxx. I replaced my stock tires at 42,000 and bald. I have 59,000 on the truck now and am realy just starting to notice whare. I am running a diesel DRW ton truck with 1,400 lbs in the back every day. I went wit the BFG MT KM2. Off road performance is good. On road performance is good and the snow, slush, and ice was better than expected in a mud tire. A lot of the guys are running the Toyo MT and are getting 60,000 out of them. I would run the Toyo but don't want to have to run spacers in my rear wheels. We all are heavy all the time. Heavy custom beds and loads. I tow a 20,000 lb trailer some and no problem from the BFG there either. I have been impressed with the chip resistance in these tires and the Toyo. We drive on a lot of 3" rock and it tends to chew up tires. There is a truck here with the Coopers and the rocks are cutting them some and that is what made me go with the BFG.

Arklatex
03-15-2016, 10:32 PM
It's funny to me cause yall don't know. We have molds to make BFG All-terrains, all Firestone, all nittto, all pro comp, all micky tohmpson, Mastercraft and the list goes on and on... just buy American tires. You'll keep me employed...

Inor
03-15-2016, 10:58 PM
I have Goodyear Wranglers on the Inor-mobile now. I like them well enough. When I was a kid and had a fast car, I always had BF Goodrich Comp T/As. But we have already determined my advice on tires is basically worth less than you paid for it. I drive my truck less than 5000 miles per year so my tires are more likely to rot out before they wear out.

A Watchman
03-16-2016, 03:27 AM
My thoughts again for truck AT tires .....

BF Goodrich AT - great at water treading doesn't shed mud well, and noisy.
Goodyear Wrangler - Less noise and long lasting.
Cooper - Every dealer recommends them.
Toyo - Hell if I know.

txmarine6531
04-09-2016, 07:04 PM
I have Firestone TransForce HT's on my 98 F150, had them since '09. Still have 13/32" on them. Pretty good for an HT off road, on road is good too. Best all around tire I ever had were a set of BFG Land Terrains I bought at Walmart in NC for my '94 Bronco I used to have. They looked identical to the AT, but were more in between an AT and street tire. I was called out regularly to pull people out of the mud. Seems like I was the barracks off road recovery truck.

Targetshooter
12-31-2016, 01:26 AM
Kelly tires are good I had them on my jeep YJ after the BF'S . I never got stuck , very good in snow , mud .

Slippy
12-31-2016, 07:05 AM
I'm not sure anybody cares but in case anyone was sitting around waiting and wondering what tires Slippy ended up putting on his Jeep....Drumroll Please....

Yep, the same tires that I had before, The BF Goodrich Mud Terrain! :closed:

Arklatex is our resident Tire Expert so hopefully he'll chime in. Its time for me to replace my tires on my Jeep Wrangler Rubi. The factory tires are BF Goodrich Mud Terrain Tires that were pretty damn good but we drive the jeep on the road as much as off road. We got 40k miles on the original factory tires.

Any suggestions for a good hybrid on road/off road tire?

Slippy
12-31-2016, 07:21 AM
What size rim do you have and what profile tire do you have now

Man do I feel like a shitty friend, I never got back to you BucketBack. My bad.

I'll give you the total rundown. 255/75 17

Thanks for asking!

BucketBack
01-01-2017, 08:04 AM
It's all good.