PDA

View Full Version : The ‘Forgotten’ Homestead Crop That Can Yield $10,000 Per ACRE …

hawgrider
03-22-2016, 06:05 AM
http://www.offthegridnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/popcorn-hs.jpg

The average yield on an acre of popcorn ranges from 1,000 to 4,000 pounds of grain. That’s anywhere from $2,500 to more than $10,000 per acre gross profit!

The key points to remember when growing popcorn is to make sure it doesn’t cross pollinate with other corn you may be growing. With heirloom varieties, the plant population is lower than standard field corn.
http://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/the-forgotten-homestead-crop-that-can-yield-10000-per-acre/

MI.oldguy
03-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Eugene say Sorghum.

Dwight55
03-22-2016, 10:02 PM
Yup, . . . I'd druther have sorghum too.

It's a whole lot better for a hungry feller than that popcorn stuff.

Specially if ya got some biscuits and butter.

Every tried biscuits, butter, and popcorn???? Nahhhh.............

May God bless,
Dwight

hawgrider
03-23-2016, 04:17 AM
Yup, . . . I'd druther have sorghum too.

It's a whole lot better for a hungry feller than that popcorn stuff.

Specially if ya got some biscuits and butter.

Every tried biscuits, butter, and popcorn???? Nahhhh.............

May God bless,
Dwight
I prefer popcorn with my beer not that stuff that gives you soregums..
To each his own.

How much per acre will your soregums make for the dentist?

Edited to add: The Amish love this crop. Their popcorn is a best seller.
We will buy no other popcorn other than the Amish popcorn. Seems they do pretty well with it.

Arklatex
03-23-2016, 05:16 AM
Dang, I never knew what a cash crop that was!

Sorghum? Isn't that the crap they feed to the poor starving African folks? Or is it the stuff in bird feeders?

Inor
03-23-2016, 05:35 AM
Edited to add: The Amish love this crop. Their popcorn is a best seller.
We will buy no other popcorn other than the Amish popcorn. Seems they do pretty well with it.

Amish popcorn?!? Are you allowed to pop it in an electric popcorn popper? Does it react badly when you eat it with beer? Have you tried smoking Amish popcorn yet?

Those crazy Amishes sell the strangest things. :biglaugh:

Inor
03-23-2016, 05:37 AM
Sorghum? Isn't that the crap they feed to the poor starving African folks? Or is it the stuff in bird feeders?

I am pretty sure you are thinking of welfare cheese.

hawgrider
03-23-2016, 05:43 AM
Amish popcorn?!? Are you allowed to pop it in an electric popcorn popper? Does it react badly when you eat it with beer? Have you tried smoking Amish popcorn yet?

Those crazy Amishes sell the strangest things. :biglaugh:Haven't tried it ? Best damn popcorn you'll ever eat. Very tender almost hull less.

That's what my smoked butter is for.

Arklatex
03-23-2016, 05:48 AM
I'll have to check out the Amish store. We have one around here somewhere. I remember getting some really good homemade cheese from them. They also sell overpriced furniture that's really well made.

hawgrider
03-23-2016, 05:56 AM
I'll have to check out the Amish store. We have one around here somewhere. I remember getting some really good homemade cheese from them. They also sell overpriced furniture that's really well made.Big seller here in Mi. They have several variety's. Seems they wouldn't waste the land per acre if it wasn't a good money maker.

Dwight55
03-23-2016, 08:09 AM
Dang, I never knew what a cash crop that was!

Uhhh, . . . neither one.........

It's the stuff that goes through the sorghum press, . . . the juice is pressed out, . . . boiled down and becomes either sorghum or molasses.

Don't get me wrong, . . . I can handle a bowl of popcorn now and then, . . . especially if it has some real butter on it.

But if you put a bowl of popcorn on one side of the table, . . . and a plate of biscuits on the other side, with a jar of sorghum / molasses, . . . I'll leave the popcorn for the visitors.

May God bless,
Dwight

hawgrider
03-23-2016, 08:28 AM
Uhhh, . . . neither one.........

It's the stuff that goes through the sorghum press, . . . the juice is pressed out, . . . boiled down and becomes either sorghum or molasses.

Don't get me wrong, . . . I can handle a bowl of popcorn now and then, . . . especially if it has some real butter on it.

But if you put a bowl of popcorn on one side of the table, . . . and a plate of biscuits on the other side, with a jar of sorghum / molasses, . . . I'll leave the popcorn for the visitors.

May God bless,
Dwight
The problem is with your theory is biscuits don't grow very well up here. And when biscuits do occasionally grow we put honey butter on them not molasses.

Dwight55
03-23-2016, 11:23 AM
The problem is with your theory is biscuits don't grow very well up here. And when biscuits do occasionally grow we put honey butter on them not molasses.

Well, . . . let's see: Honey / butter, +1, . . . sorghum / butter, +1, . . . blackberry jam, raspberry jam, strawberry jam, grape jam, gooseberry jam, elderberry jam, (or you can substitute jelly for jam) / butter, +1.

These were the options, . . . everyone contacted gave em all a +1 thumbs up, . . . as far as accouterments to biscuits.

Also got several suggestions of chicken gravy, sausage gravy, bacon gravy, pork chop gravy, . . . but had to disqualify them, only looking for sweet stuff in this survey.

I really do feel sorry for your not having a biscuit patch out there in the holler. My biscuit plants all produce hot biscuits in about 20 minutes, . . . and there are several different varieties, . . . baking powder / mom's specialty / common garden variety / canned / frozen / top of the sack / and I probably forgot a few.

Oh, yeah, . . . cat head biscuits are popular too.

Ahhh, . . . mebbe if you are in the area, . . . stop in, . . . we'll see if we can get you at least two, . . . mebbe 3, . . . and I do have honey and can show you the hive out the kitchen window that produced the honey. Them girls are even now out there buzzin' up a storm getting ready for the harvest this fall.

May God bless,
Dwight

hawgrider
03-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Well, . . . let's see: Honey / butter, +1, . . . sorghum / butter, +1, . . . blackberry jam, raspberry jam, strawberry jam, grape jam, gooseberry jam, elderberry jam, (or you can substitute jelly for jam) / butter, +1.

These were the options, . . . everyone contacted gave em all a +1 thumbs up, . . . as far as accouterments to biscuits.

Also got several suggestions of chicken gravy, sausage gravy, bacon gravy, pork chop gravy, . . . but had to disqualify them, only looking for sweet stuff in this survey.

I really do feel sorry for your not having a biscuit patch out there in the holler. My biscuit plants all produce hot biscuits in about 20 minutes, . . . and there are several different varieties, . . . baking powder / mom's specialty / common garden variety / canned / frozen / top of the sack / and I probably forgot a few.

Oh, yeah, . . . cat head biscuits are popular too.

Ahhh, . . . mebbe if you are in the area, . . . stop in, . . . we'll see if we can get you at least two, . . . mebbe 3, . . . and I do have honey and can show you the hive out the kitchen window that produced the honey. Them girls are even now out there buzzin' up a storm getting ready for the harvest this fall.

May God bless,
Dwight

Atta boy.. There is that sense of humor:biglaugh: