PDA

View Full Version : How To Identify Poison Ivy

hawgrider
04-07-2016, 07:53 AM
How to Identify Poison Ivy Like A Boss
Leaves of three, let it be.

This old rhyme refers to the grouping of three leaves that are most commonly associated with poison ivy. Though there are many other plants with three predominate leaves, this can be a good starting point for identification.
Hairy vine, no friend of mine & Raggy rope, don’t be a dope!

Poison ivy vines on trees have a furry “raggy” appearance. These rhymes warn tree climbers to be wary. Old, mature vines on tree trunks can be quite large and long, http://pioneersettler.com/identify-poison-ivy/

http://pioneersettler.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/How-to-Identify-poison-Ivy.jpg

BucketBack
04-07-2016, 08:12 AM
The branches without leaves still have urushiol oil.
Soo, if you brush against them, you may be itchy. Plus don't start a fire with it or your lungs will be in a world of hurt with every breath you take.

Gambit
04-09-2016, 06:41 PM
if i bleach a area what had ivy can i still grow anything editable or need to wait a year?

hawgrider
04-09-2016, 07:12 PM
if i bleach a area what had ivy can i still grow anything editable or need to wait a year?
Can't use a different spot? I think I would avoid that area.

Gambit
04-09-2016, 07:28 PM
sorry my typing is even worse today.
i don't have any yet that i seen but if i ever do i would like to know so i don't poison myself and others. brainless people such as myself do that stuff all the time

Inor
04-09-2016, 08:00 PM
I would just put on a heavy, long sleeve shirt and some good leather gloves and pull the ivy out. Then wash down real good with Fel's Naptha soap. (Fel's Naptha gets rid of whatever irritant is in poison ivy and poison oak.) Then, plant away.

But then, I am kind of an idiot sometimes too. Back to MY kiddie pool of shame. :biglaugh:

Arklatex
04-09-2016, 08:23 PM
We have poison ivy, oak and sumac here in ETX. The way I deal with it is to take a machete to the base of the vine and then I use a milk jug with the bottom cut out over the stump, and hit it with the dreaded glyphosate (Roundup) works like a charm. I just leave the rest of the vine to die. I hate messing with that stuff!!!

Dwight55
04-10-2016, 09:00 PM
Most of the time, . . . the Ohio varieties I have to deal with are dead stuff after one good Roundup spraying.

I have had it laugh at me, . . . and come right back after kinda "browning" a bit.

But the best thing I have found is the mower, . . . ya keep mowing the area, . . . it dies, . . . if the mower is set down pretty low.

I don't know who told you to bleach the area to get rid of it, . . . bleach will get rid of it on your body, . . . but I've never heard of that out in the field.

AND, . . . if you use it on the breakout on your personal body, . . . make sure you have a knife sheath in your mouth to bite on, . . . and the windows are open. You might scream loud enough to bust one or two of them, . . . but it WILL dry it up.

AND, . . . don't ever burn it to get rid of it. Anyone down wind and close to it will get a dose of it that will cost some serious doctor dollars to get rid of it. And, NO, . . . you don't want to know how I have first hand knowledge of that little acorn of knowledge.

May God bless,
Dwight

Dwight55
04-10-2016, 09:06 PM
I would just put on a heavy, long sleeve shirt and some good leather gloves and pull the ivy out. Then wash down real good with Fel's Naptha soap. (Fel's Naptha gets rid of whatever irritant is in poison ivy and poison oak.) Then, plant away.

But then, I am kind of an idiot sometimes too. Back to MY kiddie pool of shame. :biglaugh:

If I do that, . . . Good Will will get a pair of socks, shorts, tee shirt, Levi's, gloves, long sleeve shirt, hat, and anything else that came into contact with that sorry stuff.

OR, . . . more likely they will go into the black plastic garbage bag headed for the landfill. I've gotten it from just touching the clothing, . . . and you have never seen anyone get a bad case until you have seen me with a breakout. Other folks have a patch on their forarm, . . . mine goes from fingertip to shoulder.

Nahhhh, . . . that is one of the things I'm gonna enjoy in heaven, . . . no poison vine of any kind, . . . I can roll around in the grass without a half hour inspection tour.

May God bless,
Dwight