PDA

View Full Version : Distilling for preps

txmarine6531
04-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Anyone distill for their preps? I acquired a propane burner the other day, and am thinking I might start distilling. I have a few items needed. Just curious if anyone else does this.

Arklatex
04-08-2016, 08:31 PM
I make wine. Never ran a still. Inor makes beer. If you're interested buy a book called the Alaskan bootleggers bible. It's chock full of instructions on how to make spirits.

txmarine6531
04-08-2016, 08:44 PM
I make wine. Never ran a still. Inor makes beer. If you're interested buy a book called the Alaskan bootleggers bible. It's chock full of instructions on how to make spirits.

Thanks for the info. My dad used to make beer with a coworker. Never really cared for beer, usually drink it because it's cheaper than spirits. I want to make my own. A few folks I know back home make it, and it's GOOD!

Inor
04-08-2016, 08:49 PM
Study up on the different kinds of yeast. I was surprised at how many different kinds there are. I am thinking for distilling, some kind of champagne yeast would be the best because it can remain active until almost 20% alcohol.

Slippy had done some research on different stills a few years ago too. I do not recall the manufacturers. But one did the old time sour mash stills for making whiskey. The other one had a vertical tube that would cause the alcohol to evaporate and recondense, then re-evaporate several times to purify it. That one as I recall was for making vodka or even medical grade alcohol.

I think there is a thread here somewhere on it. Or maybe at the green site.

Inor
04-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Oh yeah, Auntie also has a recipe for Apple Moonshine. Mrs Inor made that for Christmas one year (we just used Everclear for the shine). Our kids said it was real good. I never tried it as I am not much for sweet drinks.

Arklatex
04-08-2016, 09:13 PM
I never tried it

Dumbass!!! You don't know what you're missing!

Inor
04-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Dumbass!!! You don't know what you're missing!

I think we still have a few mason jars of it in the bunker. So maybe I'll try it one of these days.

Slippy
04-09-2016, 06:24 AM
Y'all keep makin' it, I'll keep drankin' it!

TJC44
04-09-2016, 03:54 PM
I think we still have a few mason jars of it in the bunker. So maybe I'll try it one of these days.

You're going to have to finish that off, as well as the Trayvon Martin (any left?) before the move. I don't think it will transport well in a POD.

Inor
04-09-2016, 04:55 PM
You're going to have to finish that off, as well as the Trayvon Martin (any left?) before the move. I don't think it will transport well in a POD.

The Trayvon Martin is long gone. I have the stuff to make more, but I do not want to do it when we are selling the house. So, no new beers until next fall for me. (And then depression set in...)

TJC44
04-09-2016, 05:14 PM
The Trayvon Martin is long gone. I have the stuff to make more, but I do not want to do it when we are selling the house. So, no new beers until next fall for me. (And then depression set in...)

My condolences. This weekend is Harpoon IPA (out of Boston & Vermont). Not bad stuff. I'm not big into hard stuff, but that Apple shine sounds interesting. I really got into cider when I was in the UK for 2 years (83-85).

A Watchman
04-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Never tried making the home brew but have had some good stuff. I like to cook and nibble while mastering my art....... probably to impatient to distill and wait.

Inor
04-09-2016, 05:30 PM
Never tried making the home brew but have had some good stuff. I like to cook and nibble while mastering my art....... probably to impatient to distill and wait.

It is fun to watch for the first few days of fermenting. It really bubbles and foams up. Then it dies down for the next 3 weeks. Still, it is fun to do and tastes great (if it turns out) when it is done.

Tonight I am drinking Surly Furious Ale. A new local brewery in Minneapolis.

Gambit
04-09-2016, 05:56 PM
I have a feeling if Hillary wins which adds are she will we fine a few of us in the big house for a stupid unknown reason so here enjoy (note i plead the 5th) not sure why but i do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IlSmdCYo-M&nohtml5=False

Gambit
04-09-2016, 06:07 PM
and again no reason why this is simple 101 you can make a set up under 20 dollars buying a used pressure cooker using the one end for the copper tube etc etc i wont say more due to me dumb me not smart me hump desk cheer like caveman.
back to cheap . used cooker can run 1-15 dollars a yard sell or flea market the tube you can buy for what 4 dollars depending how long it going to be and the rest you can get at a hardware store or take off from other items pre used you be making that call.
I am pretty sure i can make a whole set up for under 10 dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnHTS8baPmM&nohtml5=False