PDA

View Full Version : Dead Wrong: 26 Survival Myths That Can Get You Killed

hawgrider
05-02-2016, 05:48 AM
Don't fall for these common misconceptions about surviving the wild

The lore of the wilderness has seeped into many different facets of modern life. From movies, TV shows, and even cartoons, we may think we’ve picked up some handy tips about how to survive in the wild. But does pop-culture wisdom really pan out? Not always. Here are 26 common outdoor survival myths that are retold so often, you might already believe them.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/survival/2016/04/dead-wrong-26-survival-myths-can-get-you-killed

Sasquatch
05-02-2016, 11:27 AM
I dunno, drinking always warms me up!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hawgrider
05-02-2016, 11:34 AM
I dunno, drinking always warms me up!

Sent from my SM-G900V using TapatalkMy elders always called it antifreeze.

OSFG
05-02-2016, 07:49 PM
I will argue the Moss point, but that also has regional caveats to it, Same for those little cockle things that grow up the sides of the trees...Never could remember what those where called...and it isnt moss on the ground your looking for its the thin lines of Moss between the bark.

Liquor....I never froze....so it worked back when I was drankin. I agree with most of it though...ceptn I'm getting someone to suck my ass cheek ifn I get snake bit while in the woods....even if I gotta use my gun to make it happen...possibility of infection be Damned...I will still feel better about the prognosis.

Damn....Ya'll might not wanna be my huntin buddies after reading that.

Jeep
05-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Having survived the Marine Mountain Warfare training in Bridgeport, I can testify to the space blankets, and Frostbite, well, you want to put(in my case0 your fingertips in cold water first. GPS is for shmucks. As far as hypothermia goes, it comes on faster than it is cured.