PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Gardens

hawgrider
05-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Threw in the rest of the compost and did the tilling today. Put in some radish, lettuce and dill.
Probably wont put the rest in until memorial day. These parts have a record of a late frost. I've been burned before planting tomatos and cukes to early.

Inor
05-12-2016, 06:54 PM
It feels like it could frost here right now.

hawgrider
05-12-2016, 07:02 PM
It feels like it could frost here right now.Your cool air is coming in here now. It was about 75 or so today.

TJC44
05-12-2016, 07:45 PM
I put some seedlings in last weekend, then had to scramble Monday night when a freeze warning was posting. Last year was a disaster, I'm hoping it goes better this year.

hawgrider
05-12-2016, 07:51 PM
I put some seedlings in last weekend, then had to scramble Monday night when a freeze warning was posting. Last year was a disaster, I'm hoping it goes better this year.
Whatcha puttin in this year?

TJC44
05-12-2016, 08:00 PM
Whatcha puttin in this year?

Corn, maters, peppers, beans, so far. I'm thinking of also starting carrots, potatoes, watermelon . Its small, only about 10 X 20. I have a black thumb.

hawgrider
05-12-2016, 08:38 PM
Corn, maters, peppers, beans, so far. I'm thinking of also starting carrots, potatoes, watermelon . Its small, only about 10 X 20. I have a black thumb. Mine is about the same size. Over crowding is a mistake we make every year.:thinking:

TJC44
05-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Mine is about the same size. Over crowding is a mistake we make every year.:thinking:

What will you be growing?

Arklatex
05-12-2016, 09:05 PM
All we have so far is tomatoes in buckets. We'd usually have a full blown garden by now but there's a strong possibility of us bugging out to the Sooner state this year.

Coppertop
05-12-2016, 09:31 PM
Potatoes are in. The rest of the plot is tilled and ready, seedlings are growing in the window and now we wait until the chance of frost is over.

Hopefully this year is better than last

Coppertop

hawgrider
05-13-2016, 07:16 AM
What will you be growing? I always put in radish and lettuce early spring sometimes onion. Tomotoes, cukes and peppers is about all I have room for. Then this is where the overcrowding comes in the wife seems to think we have room for corn which takes multiple rows. Squash zucchini watermelon. Im not letting her do it anymore there is no room for all that in a puny plot! Absolutely not. So Im putting my foot down this year...... I guess we'll see how that goes.:banghead:

hawgrider
05-13-2016, 07:18 AM
All we have so far is tomatoes in buckets. We'd usually have a full blown garden by now but there's a strong possibility of us bugging out to the Sooner state this year.
Sooner state? Leaving the lone star?

Inor
05-13-2016, 07:21 AM
I always put in radish and lettuce early spring sometimes onion. Tomotoes, cukes and peppers is about all I have room for. Then this is where the overcrowding comes in the wife seems to think we have room for corn which takes multiple rows. Squash zucchini watermelon. Im not letting her do it anymore there is no room for all that in a puny plot! Absolutely not. So Im putting my foot down this year...... I guess we'll see how that goes.:banghead:

If Mrs Hawg is anything like Mrs Inor, I would love to hear THAT conversation... Good luck.

BucketBack
05-13-2016, 07:36 AM
Threw in the rest of the compost and did the tilling today. Put in some radish, lettuce and dill.
Probably wont put the rest in until memorial day. These parts have a record of a late frost. I've been burned before planting tomatos and cukes to early.
Glad I'm slow on the gardening this year. Frost expected for low lying areas in G.R..I'm 40 miles North and higher ground.It looks like maybe a freeze

hawgrider
05-13-2016, 07:58 AM
Glad I'm slow on the gardening this year. Frost expected for low lying areas in G.R..I'm 40 miles North and higher ground.It looks like maybe a freeze I used to try to get a jump on things by Mothers day weekend and was burned bad twice. Hard frost wiped me out had to start over. So around here the risk is huge if you put in before Memorial day weekend.

TJC44
05-13-2016, 10:16 AM
I used to try to get a jump on things by Mothers day weekend and was burned bad twice. Hard frost wiped me out had to start over. So around here the risk is huge if you put in before Memorial day weekend.
Memorial Day is the norm here, but with the warm winter we had & the seed starters popping up, I started early & almost got toasted. I would have figured you would have a bigger garden.

Sasquatch
05-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Planting mine memorial weekend. Sunny and in the 70's here so I think I'm safe from frost. :cool:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Arklatex
05-18-2016, 06:24 PM
Got my first hand full of ripe plums. The tree is LOADED!! I'll have enough to make lots of jam and wine this year. An excess amount even with nature's cut. Blackberrys are loaded too. And judging by the pecan trees it's gonna be a bumper crop!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160518/2262a1a839f3f8f7cd50fd9980dfee05.jpg

Inor
05-18-2016, 06:28 PM
Planting mine memorial weekend. Sunny and in the 70's here so I think I'm safe from frost. :cool:

Do you ever get frost there?

Sasquatch
05-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Do you ever get frost there?
On very rare occasions.

hawgrider
05-18-2016, 06:49 PM
Got my first hand full of ripe plums. The tree is LOADED!! I'll have enough to make lots of jam and wine this year. An excess amount even with nature's cut. Blackberrys are loaded too. And judging by the pecan trees it's gonna be a bumper crop!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160518/2262a1a839f3f8f7cd50fd9980dfee05.jpg

Those look real tasty!

hawgrider
05-23-2016, 06:21 AM
Put in some black Krim, brandy wine tomatoes, Cukes and some wildfire lettuce mixes yesterday.

This is different-

5 Uses for Epsom Salt in Your Garden

The Recipe for a Healthy, Thriving Garden

Epsom salt has a wide variety of uses, anything from home remedies to uses around your home and garden. Epsom salt can be found in your local grocery store, pharmacy, and even at your local garden supply store.

Here are 5 great uses for Epsom salt in your garden.
1. Get Rid of Raccoons
http://survivallife.com/5-uses-for-epsom-salt-in-your-garden/

Arklatex
05-24-2016, 08:15 PM
1st gallon of many to come.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160525/83536b58fa2e881f64879d63ba266295.jpg

hawgrider
05-24-2016, 08:19 PM
1st gallon of many to come.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160525/83536b58fa2e881f64879d63ba266295.jpg

Oh man im jealous! Jackpot right there Ark!

Arklatex
05-24-2016, 08:28 PM
Blackberrys still have a week or two.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160525/171b081115f41a28071aa98c2d591eaa.jpg

hawgrider
05-24-2016, 08:30 PM
Blackberry jam Yum!

Auntie
05-24-2016, 08:43 PM
If we didn't need the milk from two of the goats they would be stew right now. They ate my blackberry, raspberry and strawberry plants. Darn child forgot to lock the gate to the garden. I hope they come back for next year.

Inor
05-24-2016, 10:47 PM
The last few years our raspberries have been really bad. We have a good sized red oak that I think is now large enough that it is shading them too much.

Sasquatch
05-24-2016, 11:21 PM
I couldn't wait until MM day so I planted tomatoes and jalapenos today.

hag
05-24-2016, 11:50 PM
If we didn't need the milk from two of the goats they would be stew right now. They ate my blackberry, raspberry and strawberry plants. Darn child forgot to lock the gate to the garden. I hope they come back for next year.

They should grow back. First time I ever put out strawberries I was not pleased so I mowed them down. They came back thick as carpet the next year. I've bush hogged lots of wild blackberry vines and they always come back, as long as the root is ok

TJC44
05-25-2016, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I think berries are on the list for next year's garden.

hag
05-25-2016, 10:47 PM
23162317I managed to get out 5 rows of sweet corn this evening. About 200 feet each row. Also got 50 pounds of kennebec seed potatoes and 25 pounds each of Yukon gold and red pontiacs put in the ground. It's been raining so long here that I about gave up on the garden and was thinking about sawing out enough lumber for an ark lol. Planning on getting couple hundred maters in the ground and a few rows of beans out in the morning. Calling for rain again tomorrow afternoon. Ground was plenty heavy when I ran the disc over it today. Did get a little tobacco out today too.

Slippy
05-25-2016, 11:02 PM
Squash and Cucumbers starting to come in. Tomatoes looking plentiful and peppers flowering. Life is good at Slippy Lodge.

hawgrider
05-26-2016, 04:17 AM
23162317I managed to get out 5 rows of sweet corn this evening. About 200 feet each row. Also got 50 pounds of kennebec seed potatoes and 25 pounds each of Yukon gold and red pontiacs put in the ground. It's been raining so long here that I about gave up on the garden and was thinking about sawing out enough lumber for an ark lol. Planning on getting couple hundred maters in the ground and a few rows of beans out in the morning. Calling for rain again tomorrow afternoon. Ground was plenty heavy when I ran the disc over it today. Did get a little tobacco out today too.
Now that right there is a garden!

hag
05-26-2016, 04:32 AM
Now that right there is a garden!

That's some of my tobacco. Those two patches are done. Got my big field left to do. Usually grow about six acres of tobacco. Nothing up in the garden to take pictures of yet. Just getting started with it

Prepared One
05-26-2016, 05:00 AM
I always put in radish and lettuce early spring sometimes onion. Tomotoes, cukes and peppers is about all I have room for. Then this is where the overcrowding comes in the wife seems to think we have room for corn which takes multiple rows. Squash zucchini watermelon. Im not letting her do it anymore there is no room for all that in a puny plot! Absolutely not. So Im putting my foot down this year...... I guess we'll see how that goes.:banghead:

Yea right Hawg. They will find your body serving as compost with a big shovel mark upside your head.

hawgrider
05-26-2016, 05:14 AM
Yea right Hawg. They will find your body serving as compost with a big shovel mark upside your head.
She's already trying.... "well what about the Gem corn and potatoes ":D

I don't think my wildfire lettuce mix likes my chicken poop compost. It might be a wee bit hot on one end of the garden its wilting. The radishes seem to like it though.

Prepared One
05-26-2016, 05:22 AM
I have loads of tomatoes and peppers already. I planted the tomatoes to close together. A lesson for next year. I will clear more room behind the garage so I have more room and can plant more. My problem is the pool and deck take up most of the back yard so I have limited space for a garden. I have plenty of water tho!

Arklatex
05-30-2016, 06:55 PM
Another 3 gallons of plums

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160530/d782e9aabf3a68fc0bc999f9a26cbd07.jpg

The very first of the Blackberrys

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160530/4adab0ea411bdadcdde6d3f3119acc36.jpg

hawgrider
05-30-2016, 07:00 PM
How many plum trees Ark ?

Baglady
05-30-2016, 11:44 PM
Another 3 gallons of plums

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160530/d782e9aabf3a68fc0bc999f9a26cbd07.jpg

The very first of the Blackberrys

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160530/4adab0ea411bdadcdde6d3f3119acc36.jpg

SWEET!! Our plums are almost ready. The peach tree's are doing really good this year, since we finally found out the magic secret to getting rid of the damned worms. (Water/bleach) (50-1 ratio), spray after every rain. works on all fruit and veggies.

Baglady
05-30-2016, 11:57 PM
I haven't taken any pic's yet this year. Will do that tomorrow. We have 96 tomato plants, Merit sweet corn, zucchini, green beans, bell pepper, cayenne, okra, watermelon and cantelope.
We've been shooting squirrels and crows for our corn. Re-planted 3 times... We'll still make 1/2 what we planted. Tomatoes will start ripening in another week. Spring left us 2 days ago.
Did not get to plant any lettuce this year. Super bummed about that.
We are not planting any potatoes. Figured out we can buy cheaper than we raise them.

Inor
05-31-2016, 12:24 AM
I haven't taken any pic's yet this year. Will do that tomorrow. We have 96 tomato plants, Merit sweet corn, zucchini, green beans, bell pepper, cayenne, okra, watermelon and cantelope.
We've been shooting squirrels and crows for our corn. Re-planted 3 times... We'll still make 1/2 what we planted. Tomatoes will start ripening in another week. Spring left us 2 days ago.
Did not get to plant any lettuce this year. Super bummed about that.
We are not planting any potatoes. Figured out we can buy cheaper than we raise them.

96 tomato plants?!?! What the hell are you going to do with all of the tomatoes? We usually plant about 6-10 and that gives us enough for a whole year.

Baglady
05-31-2016, 11:23 AM
96 tomato plants?!?! What the hell are you going to do with all of the tomatoes? We usually plant about 6-10 and that gives us enough for a whole year.

We sell them as well as canning.

Baglady
05-31-2016, 11:31 AM
Took these this morning. 2338

Baglady
05-31-2016, 11:40 AM
Be awhile for peaches to mature.
Sweet plums!

hawgrider
05-31-2016, 11:41 AM

Your garden looks great! Mine is already full of weeds...:(

hag
05-31-2016, 11:51 AM

Nice looking crop

Baglady
05-31-2016, 11:55 AM
Your garden looks great! Mine is already full of weeds...:(

There are ways around that. Most of our tomatoes have that black garden fabric under them. Dollar General-$5
You can also use newspaper.
The big garden got mopped with roundup. There's still some hoeing in between plants, but most is eliminated.

hawgrider
05-31-2016, 12:04 PM
There are ways around that. Most of our tomatoes have that black garden fabric under them. Dollar General-$5
You can also use newspaper.
The big garden got mopped with roundup. There's still some hoeing in between plants, but most is eliminated.

Yes that's why I'm plagued with weeds. I won't let my wife force me into the landscape cloth. And she wont let me use chemicals.

Ive been thinking about using the no till method next year im tired of the weeds. It seems the more I rototill the more weeds germinate.

Baglady
05-31-2016, 12:14 PM
Nice looking crop

Thanks. You can see all the missing corn...damn crows and squirrels...
Hubby planted cantelope in those spots the other day.
Your tobacco is great too. I've always wanted to try to plant some.

Baglady
05-31-2016, 12:15 PM
Yes that's why I'm plagued with weeds. I won't let my wife force me into the landscape cloth. And she wont let me use chemicals.

Ive been thinking about using the no till method next year im tired of the weeds. It seems the more I rototill the more weeds germinate.

The only other thing I can think of Hawg, is to get a couple of Weeder Geese.

hawgrider
05-31-2016, 12:22 PM
The only other thing I can think of Hawg, is to get a couple of Weeder Geese.

How deep do you put the cloth It seems to surface on me when Ive used it before. And then the darn birds poop bird seed on it and stuff grows on top of the cloth anyway.

Yes my wife feeds every bird in the county!

Baglady
05-31-2016, 12:31 PM
How deep do you put the cloth It seems to surface on me when Ive used it before. And then the darn birds poop bird seed on it and stuff grows on top of the cloth anyway.

Yes my wife feeds every bird in the county!

You don't bury the cloth. After we prepare our soil, we roll out a sheet as long as the row, and shovel dirt around the edges to hold it in place. Then we take a pair of scissors, cut an X for each plant, and plant the plants. We use the rotatiller in between the rows, and then we literally mop
on the round up.

hawgrider
05-31-2016, 12:36 PM
You don't bury the cloth. After we prepare our soil, we roll out a sheet as long as the row, and shovel dirt around the edges to hold it in place. Then we take a pair of scissors, cut an X for each plant, and plant the plants. We use the rotatiller in between the rows, and then we literally mop
on the round up.

i cant see any cloth in your pics thought maybe you were burying it a feww inch under or something. Ive never used it in the garden that I can remember But the wife made me use the stuff in some flower beds years ago it looked like crap after one season then I was a nightmare pulling it up. Guess I just don't know how to use the stuff...

Baglady
05-31-2016, 01:00 PM
i cant see any cloth in your pics thought maybe you were burying it a feww inch under or something. Ive never used it in the garden that I can remember But the wife made me use the stuff in some flower beds years ago it looked like crap after one season then I was a nightmare pulling it up. Guess I just don't know how to use the stuff...

Here ya go. 2344
You really can't reuse the cloth.

hawgrider
05-31-2016, 01:13 PM
Here ya go. 2344
You really can't reuse the cloth.

Ahh gotta put it down every year... No wonder mine looked like crap in the flower beds LOL

TJC44
05-31-2016, 08:42 PM

I am getting weeds too. I used the weedcloth early in the season, as I was cleaning out the crap and prepping the soil. I like Baglady's use of it around the plants. I have a couple more things to go in yet. Maybe I'll try that, too.

TJC

Arklatex
05-31-2016, 08:47 PM
How many plum trees Ark ?
Just a couple mature trees.

Arklatex
05-31-2016, 08:48 PM
I've seen there is a brand of that fabric that can be tilled under. I don't use it but it's endorsed by mother earth news.

hag
05-31-2016, 09:35 PM

Hawg if you can find some old cardboard boxes at Kroger or somewhere you can put them around your plants and like baglady says just shovel some dirt on the cardboard to hold it in place. My neighbor does this. It keeps the weeds down, holds moisture for your plants and decomposes after a while and will add organic matter back into your soil. If I didn't put out so much stuff I would go this route but I would have to rob a box factory to get enough cardboard lol

Auntie
05-31-2016, 10:06 PM
Go to a liquor store and ask them to save you the flats that the `12 packs and canned sodas come in. They are great for the garden and keep weeds down because of their thickness. If you ask for boxes, ask them for the ones that are not shiny like the Not Your Fathers Root Beer or the Best Damn Cherry Cola ones.

Baglady
05-31-2016, 10:26 PM
I've seen there is a brand of that fabric that can be tilled under. I don't use it but it's endorsed by mother earth news.

That product is made out of some kind of paper. I've seen it in some of our seed catalogs. That's probably why my Mom uses newspaper. It becomes sort of like a compost. The kind we use has to be pulled up each fall.
Your getting a lot more plums than I am, Ark. Every day I go out there, and I'm finding only a few. Do you fertilize your trees?

Baglady
05-31-2016, 10:37 PM
Ahh gotta put it down every year... No wonder mine looked like crap in the flower beds LOL

Yes, But, At the end of each season Dollar General has all that kind of stuff at 1/2 off. So we drive to the city and hit 3 or 4 of them, and get each 3'x50' roll for $2.50.
At Lowes, Home Depot, etc, the same roll is $12!

hawgrider
06-01-2016, 05:09 AM
Go to a liquor store and ask them to save you the flats that the `12 packs and canned sodas come in. They are great for the garden and keep weeds down because of their thickness. If you ask for boxes, ask them for the ones that are not shiny like the Not Your Fathers Root Beer or the Best Damn Cherry Cola ones.
I've been to a liquor store once or twice. They know me by my first name.

Prepared One
06-01-2016, 05:21 AM
Yep, been once or twice myself Hawg. It's like "Norm" when he walked into Cheers. I know the owners, the customers, the stock boy, the delivery drivers and all of their families.

I may need a new hobby

Arklatex
06-01-2016, 08:54 AM
That product is made out of some kind of paper. I've seen it in some of our seed catalogs. That's probably why my Mom uses newspaper. It becomes sort of like a compost. The kind we use has to be pulled up each fall.
Your getting a lot more plums than I am, Ark. Every day I go out there, and I'm finding only a few. Do you fertilize your trees?
We have bird feeders under them so they get lots of bird shit. We've also had a ton of rain the past 6 months. Maybe that's why?

Baglady
06-02-2016, 07:05 PM
We have bird feeders under them so they get lots of bird shit. We've also had a ton of rain the past 6 months. Maybe that's why?

Ahh. Bird Shit! I can definetely provide that next year. :bigthumbup:

Arklatex
06-02-2016, 07:11 PM
Ahh. Bird Shit! I can definetely provide that next year. :bigthumbup:
I forgot to tell you: WELCOME BACK! What have you been up to?

Baglady
06-02-2016, 07:40 PM
I forgot to tell you: WELCOME BACK! What have you been up to?

Thanks Ark. Spring had sprung...lots to do. It's a small window of perfect weather, and Mother Nature gave us a good 8 weeks of it this year. Grandson's ball games is a favorite past time too.
Plus, my Brother came home for almost a month, so I kept the phone line open for his calls.

What have you been up to?

Arklatex
06-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Thanks Ark. Spring had sprung...lots to do. It's a small window of perfect weather, and Mother Nature gave us a good 8 weeks of it this year. Grandson's ball games is a favorite past time too.
Plus, my Brother came home for almost a month, so I kept the phone line open for his calls.

What have you been up to?
Just building some tires and trying to figure out the secret of the universe. For some reason I keep getting the answer 42. Anyways I'm happy to see ya back!

hag
06-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Got a couple more rows of beans out. Romas again. I really like these beans. They will wait on you a lot more than other varieties. Don't get stringy when they get big and I don't have to worry as much when hay and tobacco are taking my attention. The Romas will still be good when I get to them

Arklatex
06-07-2016, 08:51 PM
This, ladies and gents, is the biggest damn sunflower I've ever grown. Just put the tape to it. 12'8"...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160608/6f682ccaba3abf5206f5a97670632ca9.jpg

hawgrider
06-07-2016, 09:05 PM
This, ladies and gents, is the biggest damn sunflower I've ever grown. Just put the tape to it. 12'8"...

Dayum.... Nice work Jack and the bean stalk !

Arklatex
06-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Dayum.... Nice work Jack and the bean stalk !
This is the first year I'm trying to harvest the seeds. The monster in the pic was an experiment. I have plenty others as a control. The beast has a mudcat buried under it. Strangely it's flowers are much smaller than the others. But there's way more of them...

TJC44
06-07-2016, 09:31 PM

You know, I never even thought of sunflowers....Hmmmm

hag
06-07-2016, 09:44 PM
This is the first year I'm trying to harvest the seeds. The monster in the pic was an experiment. I have plenty others as a control. The beast has a mudcat buried under it. Strangely it's flowers are much smaller than the others. But there's way more of them...

The cat is probably feeding it a bunch of nitrogen. With our field corn, the more nitrogen we incorporate,the bigger the stalks but not necessarily the bushels per acre of actual corn. Fields where we spread alot of cow manure usually get chopped for silage so we can make better use of the bigger stalks. Just a theory

TJC44
06-07-2016, 10:30 PM
The cat is probably feeding it a bunch of nitrogen. With our field corn, the more nitrogen we incorporate,the bigger the stalks but not necessarily the bushels per acre of actual corn. Fields where we spread alot of cow manure usually get chopped for silage so we can make better use of the bigger stalks. Just a theory

The town I grew up in had acres upon acres of what was called "cow corn". It was all grown as silage for the dairy farms in town. In the spring, nothing but the smell of manure being spread on the fields.
Ah, memories.

Baglady
06-07-2016, 11:53 PM

Wow Ark! What made you think of putting a catfish in the ground? I know Native American Indians used to do that. Is that something you normally do?

Sasquatch
06-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Wow Ark! What made you think of putting a catfish in the ground? I know Native American Indians used to do that. Is that something you normally do?
My father use to have Koi fish and for some reason they died. He put them all in the ground and planted rose bushes over them. We had the nicest roses on the block.

Sent from Tapatalk (aka Uranus)

hawgrider
06-11-2016, 11:08 AM
Harvested the garlic scapes from my garlic patch and some lettuce.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/stuff/20160611_120316_zpsybwq1a0n.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/stuff/20160611_120316_zpsybwq1a0n.jpg.html)

Slippy
06-11-2016, 11:44 AM
Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppers (red, green, Japs, Bananas), Summer Yellow Squash and Peas have all been coming in with a vengeance! We canned a bunch of pickles last Sunday and have been eating the rest of the garden produce daily. We had so much that last week I had peas and squash sautee for breakfast twice!

Sorry no pics, my computer is a piece of crap (Dell) and for some reason will not let me download any of my pics from my phone or camera. Damn shame because I killed a nice 3' copperhead the other day and she was a beauty and I would love to show her off!

Coppertop
06-13-2016, 08:16 AM
We got ours in finally. We had frost off and on until about a week and a half ago. Then it got hot. We planted the first day that we had a ten day window without temps below 30 degrees and within 2 days of that we went to 100. Burned up every one of our tomatoes, squash, cukes, and anything we planted inside. Had to go get plants at the greenhouse. DAMN weather. Taters, strawberries and rhubarb are going strong. Chokecherries lost about 1/2 the crop due to frost. Raspberries and goose berries are going good but they are both very small plants as this is year #2 for them. Lettuce, Radishes, Kohlrabi, and carrots are popping up in the last couple of days. We will see what we get. It has been unseasonably hot already this year, usually June is 70 and 80s but we have had a week of over 100.

Damn global warming- hhhhhaaaaaaaaa

Coppertop

Arklatex
06-26-2016, 04:20 PM
My neighbor grows these yellow meated watermelons. They are sweeter than the red ones. She gave us one today. Very good on a hot day! I'm saving a bunch of the seeds.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160626/2f1afa7f9d4c499a2b37d18c98e4dc1b.jpg

hawgrider
06-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Thats a cool lookin melon!

Sarge7402
06-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Over the last week we've gotten about 4 pounds of zuccini squash, three pounds of green beans and 4 pounds of lettuce. Wife made lettuce kimchee so it will store longer

RWalls
06-26-2016, 10:30 PM
I didn't do a garden this year, grapes, apples, plums and peaches seem ok. The Japanese beetles are out of control AGAIN this year.

hawgrider
06-27-2016, 05:11 AM
I didn't do a garden this year, grapes, apples, plums and peaches seem ok. The Japanese beetles are out of control AGAIN this year.My garden sucks. Weeds win! I'm turning the plot back to grass next year and going to do a Slippy style garden next year I'm tired of bending over pulling weeds Screw that! A few more trips to farmers market is looking better and better. I'm to old for farming. That crap is hard work!

A Watchman
06-27-2016, 05:19 AM
Yep, a raised bed is advised unless you are overly ambitious.

TJC44
06-27-2016, 09:36 AM
My garden is slowly making progress. I may have to move it next year so it gets more sun. The beans are starting to come in. Tomato plants are looking better, but still waiting to see them bear fruit. Same with the peppers. A few potato plants seem to be doing o.k. I may have 1 or 2 carrots coming in.
The corn lost. Something came through and dug them all up. I was pi$$ed. I tried planting new kernels, and THOSE were dug up.

Baglady
06-27-2016, 10:33 AM
My garden is slowly making progress. I may have to move it next year so it gets more sun. The beans are starting to come in. Tomato plants are looking better, but still waiting to see them bear fruit. Same with the peppers. A few potato plants seem to be doing o.k. I may have 1 or 2 carrots coming in.
The corn lost. Something came through and dug them all up. I was pi$$ed. I tried planting new kernels, and THOSE were dug up.

TJ, you've got crows or squirrels. This is the time for target practice! :minigun:

TJC44
06-27-2016, 10:39 AM
TJ, you've got crows or squirrels. This is the time for target practice! :minigun:

Squirrels for certain. I can see them digging up kernels, but growing plants too?

Maybe try out deadfall traps.
A little too closely populated to shoot.

Baglady
06-27-2016, 10:42 AM
My garden sucks. Weeds win! I'm turning the plot back to grass next year and going to do a Slippy style garden next year I'm tired of bending over pulling weeds Screw that! A few more trips to farmers market is looking better and better. I'm to old for farming. That crap is hard work!

I hear ya buddy. Do the container tomato plants next year, then put a "Tomatoes for sale" sign out and see what happens. I've already made over $100, and I have not yet put the sign out! Just word of mouth.
This early stage of the crop we pick about 15 lbs a day, in the next few days, they'll get to where we'll be picking several 5 gallon buckets a day.
At $1 per pound, it adds up quick.

Baglady
06-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Squirrels for certain. I can see them digging up kernels, but growing plants too?

Maybe try out deadfall traps.
A little too closely populated to shoot.

The kernel is still attached to the sprouts, that's why they still eat them. Once the sprouts are about 6-8 inches they won't bother them.

TJC44
07-18-2016, 08:22 PM
O.K, Heads up, all of you, members AND lurkers, who think they could not POSSIBLY grow anything besides weeds!
Are you listening?

Good! Because I have / AM proof positive that ANYONE can grow FOOD!
This is a picture of the beans I picked out of MY garden, Tonight!
I also have tomatoes growing, pepper plants ( no peppers yet) Watermelon (in New England), and potatoes growing.
I would have had corn too, but the damn squirrels ate them before they could get started. So I have 1 lonely stalk left.
I had a thumb blacker than Obama, and I was able to grow something.
If ANYONE out the did NOT do a vegetable garden this year, this is an open challenge to plant one next year, whether you are a member here or not.

OSFG
07-18-2016, 09:57 PM
I bought the seeds to start one, but gave up...why? I'm gone 5 days a week at least from home.... my wife buys flowers 2 to 4 times a year and they die from lack of watering....grass planting?...dies from lack of watering....now my wife got a part time job...so I'm fearful my kids are gonna die from lack of water...so garden be damned until my kids survive the next couple years.

Inor
07-18-2016, 10:20 PM
Wouldn't ya know, the year we won't be around to reap the benefits, the plants are going nuts! We have a HUGE crop of grapes (Concorde and White) and a good crop raspberries going. Damn shame.

TJC44
08-18-2016, 05:10 PM
Tomatoes are just coming in.

Just starting to see what I think are peppers, they will be a few more weeks.
Some broadleaf viney thing invaded the garden. Hope it doesn't kill everything.