PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Armadillo for Survival Food

hawgrider
05-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Cooking Armadillo for Survival Food

A lot of people look at Armadillo as some kind of taboo food for consumption unless it’s under extreme survival circumstances. Well I’m here to tell you that not only is it safe but it also tastes great. If you like pork then you’ll like Armadillo as well! They are basically just armored pigs that live in the ground and they are super easy to catch. For fun a lot of people try to sneak up on them and pick them up, http://www.survivalschool.us/cooking-armadillo-for-survival-food/

Arklatex
05-19-2016, 01:48 PM
My dogs love them, especially crunching on the shells. I never tried it and probably won't. And those damn armadillos are destructive as hell. They are digging machines! And they are probably the dumbest critter in America to boot. There's a reason you see so many dead on the side of the road. Texas speedbumps!

But good news! There is a truck stop out here that sells canned armadillo. East Texas log truck tenderized! If I'm ever out that way I'll get yall a couple cans and send em up there.

Edit, found a pic of the exact stuff!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160519/4967fbb65aa958bd46584ee3916cff9c.jpg

GTGallop
05-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Three words...
Leprosy Leprosy Leprosy!

Possum on the half-shell carries more nasty cooties than a crack house whore. It's got stuff that makes drinking untreated stagnant pond water look like a better idea. I'm sure farm raised 'Dillo is great but in the wild? It is one of the few critters I'd kill "just because."

hawgrider
05-20-2016, 06:24 PM
From the article -

What is leprosy?*A bacterial disease, also known as Hansen’s disease, which causes lesions, growths and dryness on human skin. Your chances of getting leprosy are really, really low. Ninety-five percent of the population isn’t even susceptible to the disease, according to the Health Resources and Services Administration. A 2008 study put to rest the belief that you can get leprosy from eating armadillo.*Of some 2500 armadillos caught and tested in Florida, none had leprosy. And for many years researchers were hard pressed to find someone in the United States with leprosy who had actually been in physical contact with armadillos in the United States.

rice paddy daddy
05-20-2016, 07:00 PM
I'd have to be pretty darn hard up before I'd eat a diller. :gasmask::gasmask:
Here in Florida, we have 9 banded ones, I believe Texas has the 3 banded ones.

No, I don't know the difference.

www.myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/mammals/land/armadillo

Inor
05-20-2016, 07:13 PM
Sorry, no armadillos for Inor. Same as I will not eat javelina or buzzard either.