PDA

View Full Version : Anybody into HAM?

BugMan
03-19-2014, 12:13 AM
I have a couple of radios. Got my license a few years ago. HR-2510 and a portable Kenwood TH-F6A.

1moretoy
03-19-2014, 04:03 AM
BM, I saw this title and thought "the four legged kind". Now I've gotta have bacon. As to the real post...never have done the whole ham radio thing. Now years ago I had a CB but that went out with my first cell.

BugMan
03-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Ham's are good for when Cell Phones are useless.

1moretoy
03-20-2014, 04:23 AM
Ham's are good for when Cell Phones are useless.

Yeah I know hams are much better than CBs. I got rid on my CB cause there was no longer anyone to talk to...everyone was on their cell phone. Just saying that's when I switched too.

new guy
03-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Is a license required for ham radios, if so what's involved and how much are they?

Will using a ham radio interfere with radio and TVs?

RWalls
03-29-2014, 06:58 AM
Is a license required for ham radios, if so what's involved and how much are they?

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-class

check out that link to find out where you can take the test. Start with your tech license. Its pretty easy if you have any kind of understanding of how electronics and radio waves work.
I think I paid $15 to take the test and that goes to the group that gives the test, not the government. HAM will not interfere with TV or radio until you get lots of power.

BugMan
03-29-2014, 09:33 AM
I know a guy that can disrupt TV and Radio transmission, but for the most part you are on completely different wavelengths so it's not an issue.

RWalls
03-29-2014, 11:37 AM
I know a guy that can disrupt TV and Radio transmission, but for the most part you are on completely different wavelengths so it's not an issue.

I know a guy too, he has a 900W amp in the back seat of his truck. :behindsofa:

new guy
03-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the link and info

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-class

check out that link to find out where you can take the test. Start with your tech license. Its pretty easy if you have any kind of understanding of how electronics and radio waves work.
I think I paid $15 to take the test and that goes to the group that gives the test, not the government. HAM will not interfere with TV or radio until you get lots of power.

BugMan
03-30-2014, 08:55 PM
I know a guy too, he has a 900W amp in the back seat of his truck. :behindsofa:

I think we know the same guy.

Georgiacornholesupply
03-31-2014, 11:57 AM

Yes license is required to transmit on ham frequencies but not to just listen. There is a great little chinese portable dual band ham radio that is as low as $34-35 on amazon and ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-65-108-Dual-Band-Radio/dp/B008IYCQSO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396284922&sr=1-2&keywords=uv5r

A ham radio isn't supposed to interfere with radios or tvs but may if damaged, defective or modded.

RubberDuck
03-25-2020, 10:40 PM
Reviving thread from the dead.
I know there are people on here playing with Ham I never really played with it always had CBs I do have a General Lee converted to CB that is still capable of Ham frequency just never played with it much. The whole license thing I might understand if a high power base but with handhelds is it really necessary?
Back in the day you needed a license for CB as well but very few people did and definitely don't anymore.
My thoughts on any communication outside the norm is good but ultimately they still listen and control all frequencies so in real SHTF they are not as useful as they once were as they can still block them and definitely track them.

Gambit
03-25-2020, 10:53 PM
agree, need to bring this thread back to life

I had a cobra lct base back in buffalo glowing up

I would not mind getting into ham but that shit is costly and with pacemaker in my chest im not sure they safe up close for me

RubberDuck
03-25-2020, 11:11 PM

I would not mind getting into ham but that shit is costly and with pacemaker in my chest im not sure they safe up close for meIf you don't stutter and eyes don't twitch while using a microwave you should be fine......Maybe.

Gambit
03-25-2020, 11:52 PM
If you don't stutter and eyes don't twitch while using a microwave you should be fine......Maybe.

don't think I would be able to control myself to be honest
I pissed off the gays on one channel and then I used to pick on the Canadians
think the FCC will have me hanged high up as soon I click on the mic and release the pug

would be call to call people twat waffle on broadband

hawgrider
03-26-2020, 07:03 AM
I know there are people on here playing with Ham I never really played with it always had CBs I do have a General Lee converted to CB that is still capable of Ham frequency just never played with it much. The whole license thing I might understand if a high power base but with handhelds is it really necessary?
Back in the day you needed a license for CB as well but very few people did and definitely don't anymore.
My thoughts on any communication outside the norm is good but ultimately they still listen and control all frequencies so in real SHTF they are not as useful as they once were as they can still block them and definitely track them.

Even with a ham handhelds they can triangulate your location and I hear the consequences are not good for pushing the talk button without at least a tech liesence.

hawgrider
03-26-2020, 07:08 AM

I would not mind getting into ham but that shit is costly and with pacemaker in my chest im not sure they safe up close for me 25 bucks now for the radio listed in the quoted link.
I have one 2 more on order. Pretty cool! Just got done adding all my local repeaters to my radio. Quite a bit of activity on several frequencies clear as a bell unlike CB and no CB good buddy talk. Thinking about getting the tech liesence when this kung FU is gone.

Yes license is required to transmit on ham frequencies but not to just listen. There is a great little chinese portable dual band ham radio that is as low as $34-35 on amazon and ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-65-108-Dual-Band-Radio/dp/B008IYCQSO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396284922&sr=1-2&keywords=uv5r

A ham radio isn't supposed to interfere with radios or tvs but may if damaged, defective or modded.

hawgrider
03-26-2020, 07:24 AM
There is a way to talk with the UV-5R somewhat legally from what I understand. If you have a hunting walmart walkie talkie you can program the UV-5R to the same frequency as the walkie talkie and use it that way but you have to run the baofeng on low power 1 watt instead of 5 watts. But I believe from what I'm seeing you can't use two UV -5R's from what I can tell you must have at least one a walmart walkie talkie ? But then I see where with two baofeng UV-5R using the same freq as the walmart walkie talkies is the same thing so what's the problem? I don't know as I'm just now diving into this ham handheld thing.

juskom95
03-26-2020, 07:59 AM
Some of the new handhelds can be docked into a vehicle unit for more power etc. I was looking at a few a couple of years ago.

In real SHTF, the frequencies won't be blocked, because the military operates in that range (we used to step all over local operators and even TV stations).

Also, during emergencies, a license isn't legally required.

RubberDuck
03-26-2020, 08:33 AM
After doing some reading on the license and the information available to a public database I think I would pass on getting licensed and just have one around for emergency use. I am running my CB at 45 watts and know lots of guys with heaters running 5xs that power and the fcc doesn't bother. Now do they really even bother with unlicensed little hand helds?
What if one were to locate a licensed call sign and use it in another are?

Here is a write up I found interesting this guy ended up using a P.O. box but I won't go to those lengths.
https://www.theprepperjournal.com/2013/10/17/ham-radio-license-hide-government/

hawgrider
03-26-2020, 08:41 AM
I'm not overly worried about my address in a database after getting the tech liesence. I mean really there has been no place to hide for a couple decades. My address is easily found on the www. now

RubberDuck
03-26-2020, 08:48 AM
I'm not overly worried about my address in a database after getting the tech liesence. I mean really there has been no place to hide for a couple decades. My address is easily found on the www. nowOnly if you give the info for someone to find it.
That being said every time you broadcast your call sign you are freely giving out that info. I will be a black op never broadcast long enough to be triangulated and be on the move lol.
Better yet park in front of someone's house I don't like

juskom95
03-26-2020, 08:51 AM
After doing some reading on the license and the information available to a public database I think I would pass on getting licensed and just have one around for emergency use. I am running my CB at 45 watts and know lots of guys with heaters running 5xs that power and the fcc doesn't bother. Now do they really even bother with unlicensed little hand helds?
What if one were to locate a licensed call sign and use it in another are?

Here is a write up I found interesting this guy ended up using a P.O. box but I won't go to those lengths.
https://www.theprepperjournal.com/2013/10/17/ham-radio-license-hide-government/

I forget what my old CB is rated, but I know it had some modifications by the guy I bought it off of.

I thought about picking up a handheld/modular/portable HAM radio just for emergency use, no need for a license then.

hawgrider
03-26-2020, 08:54 AM
Only if you give the info for someone to find it.
That being said every time you broadcast your call sign you are freely giving out that info. I will be a black op never broadcast long enough to be triangulated and be on the move lol.
Better yet park in front of someone's house I don't like

SOCOM42 over at PF has had his general license since 1957 he's not mentioned any issues about privacy.

Innkeeper
03-26-2020, 09:05 AM
I have a couple of friends who have had their licenses for 30 plus years never an issue heck one of them inherited his father's sign. My nephew hot his at like 14, have played with the idea of getting my no code license, but something always comes up, maybe this vacation is the sign to finally make it happen.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

TJC44
03-26-2020, 09:36 AM
A new technology in radios is DMR. Digital Mobile Radio. It uses digital technology and the internet, and would allow spread out groups (like OTP) to communicate. Www.dmrfordummies.com 9

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

MountainGirl
03-26-2020, 10:03 AM
A new technology in radios is DMR. Digital Mobile Radio. It uses digital technology and the internet, and would allow spread out groups (like OTP) to communicate. Www.dmrfordummies.com 9

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

As long as there's internet... and no opsec concerns.
Still gonna check out your link TJC, thanks!

hawgrider
03-26-2020, 01:39 PM
I have a couple of friends who have had their licenses for 30 plus years never an issue heck one of them inherited his father's sign. My nephew hot his at like 14, have played with the idea of getting my no code license, but something always comes up, maybe this vacation is the sign to finally make it happen.

Technician license is only 15 bucks

Innkeeper
03-26-2020, 04:43 PM
Technician license is only 15 bucksNot really a money issue just making ti.e to take the test when I am not doing anything else or family stuff doesn't come up.

TJC44
03-27-2020, 06:25 AM
Last I knew it was a sit down test. Have they moved it on-line? I'll look at that later today.

hawgrider
03-27-2020, 07:03 AM
Last I knew it was a sit down test. Have they moved it on-line? I'll look at that later today.

Still have to go to a club here. No online testing.

juskom95
03-27-2020, 07:21 AM
Still have to go to a club here. No online testing.

I can re-certify in my IT area and to go college online, but I have to take a physical test for a technician license, HA HA!

Now is the time I would take it too, as I have quiet to study a little.