PDA

View Full Version : Survival Gear Review: Blue Can Water, a Water Supply That Claims to Last for 50 Years

hawgrider
05-31-2016, 05:53 AM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/sites/outdoorlife.com/files/styles/article_image_full/public/bluecan.png?itok=E-Bh-iXr

Here are the specs:

— Proudly purified and packaged in America
— The standard case is twenty four 12ounce cans, which equals 2.25 gallons (8.51 Liters)
— Each case weighs 19.5 pounds
— Cans are made of corrosion resistant aluminum and are hermetically sealed
— An epoxy coating on the inside of the cans protects the water from absorbing metal or its taste
— It stores well between 33 degrees F and can go up to 150 degrees F (1C to +60C)
— The water and packaging comply with standards for purified drinking water and have a 50 year shelf life
— MSRP is $29.95 per case of 24 cans
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/survival-gear-review-blue-can-water-water-supply-claims-last-50-years

Arklatex
05-31-2016, 08:59 PM
Damn, that's higher than beer!

hag
05-31-2016, 09:14 PM
Now that's high quality h2o

Inor
05-31-2016, 09:54 PM
Yow!!! That makes me glad that I am storing beer and not water! :biglaugh:

hawgrider
06-01-2016, 05:03 AM
Yuppie water storage. 50 years yikes what are they putting in it?

Arklatex
06-01-2016, 08:49 AM
Yuppie water storage. 50 years yikes what are they putting in it?
It's probably loaded with dihydrogen monoxide.

hawgrider
06-01-2016, 09:35 AM
It's probably loaded with dihydrogen monoxide.Hahahaha

A 1983 April Fools' Day edition of the Durand Express, a weekly newspaper in Durand, Michigan, reported that "dihydrogen oxide" had been found in the city's water pipes, and warned that it was fatal if inhaled, and could produce blistering vapors.[3] The first appearance of the hoax on the internet was attributed by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette to the so-called "Coalition to Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide",[4][5] a parody organization started by UC Santa Cruz student Craig Jackson following the on-campus postings and initial newsgroup discussions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax

BlackDog
06-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Wouldn't a $2.89 case of spring water from Aldi keep just as well?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

hawgrider
06-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Wouldn't a $2.89 case of spring water from Aldi keep just as well?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk Hoop! There it is!!
I dont see why not. Keep it away from light with the clear bottles so no algee growth right?

OSFG
06-02-2016, 01:12 PM
My son came down with his trash can and started emptying it. He had about 5 water bottles either half full or even full in it. I asked why he planned to throw them out...he said "It's old, its warm and everything".

I blame his momma....so now I got some teaching to do....I'm gonna make him distill, treat and drink his own urine for a week... that "old" bottled water will be like the finest drink in the world after that... ought to make him do it in the kitchen to teach his mom a lesson too.....

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

hawgrider
06-02-2016, 01:35 PM
My son came down with his trash can and started emptying it. He had about 5 water bottles either half full or even full in it. I asked why he planned to throw them out...he said "It's old, its warm and everything".

I blame his momma....so now I got some teaching to do....I'm gonna make him distill, treat and drink his own urine for a week... that "old" bottled water will be like the finest drink in the world after that... ought to make him do it in the kitchen to teach his mom a lesson too.....

Sent from my DROID4 using TapatalkOuch! Lol

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/stuff/impressive_zpshjctamhz.gif (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/stuff/impressive_zpshjctamhz.gif.html)

OSFG
06-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Now back on topic... what are the issues with water being stored in plastic bottles they are sold in, out of direct sunlight, but still exposed to high temps...say 125 degrees? Anyone?

Arklatex
06-02-2016, 05:04 PM
Now back on topic... what are the issues with water being stored in plastic bottles they are sold in, out of direct sunlight, but still exposed to high temps...say 125 degrees? Anyone?

Some, but not all, contain chemicals that can leech into the water from the plastic bottles. These chemicals supposedly can cause cancer. Also, continuous temp fluctuations (like in a vehicle) can make the plastic brittle and leak/ or the container to be compromised. Which leads to possible contamination.

OSFG
06-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Some, but not all, contain chemicals that can leech into the water from the plastic bottles. These chemicals supposedly can cause cancer. Also, continuous temp fluctuations (like in a vehicle) can make the plastic brittle and leak/ or the container to be compromised. Which leads to possible contamination.
I've seen those warning..."Have been known to cause cancer in the state of California.." thank gawd I don't live there.

Well I ain't paying a dollar a can for water. I will just have to rely on my ability to make clean water. I'm digging a well.

Arklatex
06-02-2016, 08:46 PM
I've seen those warning..."Have been known to cause cancer in the state of California.." thank gawd I don't live there.

No kidding. EVERYTHING in California gives you cancer!

hag
06-02-2016, 09:50 PM

Haha! I know you said you are from ky, I'm not sure we ain't kin somewhere down the line!
I have 5 deep freezes and store most of my water by rinsing out old two liters and other big bottles and refilling with water and freezing. Probably have 40 of them scattered throughout all together. They serve different purposes like keeping the freezers colder during power outages and I use them to put in igloo coolers to keep beer cold or fish and deer meat. I will use these as emergency drinking water too.
Will the chemicals in the plastic affect the water even if it's frozen?

OSFG
06-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Haha! I know you said you are from ky, I'm not sure we ain't kin somewhere down the line!
I have 5 deep freezes and store most of my water by rinsing out old two liters and other big bottles and refilling with water and freezing. Probably have 40 of them scattered throughout all together. They serve different purposes like keeping the freezers colder during power outages and I use them to put in igloo coolers to keep beer cold or fish and deer meat. I will use these as emergency drinking water too.
My bet is not nearly as quickly as not drinking them if you need water. As far as I understand it, is the heat that releases those harmful chemicals so I'd say your good...but I'm no professional...just drank a lot of bottled water that sat a long time in logistic yards out in the hot desert... never bothered me none...
My bet is not nearly as quickly as not drinking them..never bothered me....
None no profession....just drank a lot of yards in the logistic desert...

Should be fine....

Inor
06-02-2016, 10:44 PM

As OSFG said, keep them cool and you are fine. Also, keep them out of direct sunlight if they are just in old pop bottles. There is some chemical in plastic pop bottles that is released by sunlight. They make special bottles that are designed specifically for purifying water via sunlight, but they are crazy expensive. When we studied up on that for our preps, we figured out that it was a BUNCH cheaper to just buy a Berkey.

hag
06-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Thanks y'all. They stay in the freezers till we go fishing,hunting,or kill hogs usually. If we use them on meat like that we throw them away and fill up new ones so they never see much sunlight and never get hot. I always considered them my prep water too. We have a cistern so they would only be needed during a bad drought but nice to know they are there

RubberDuck
06-03-2016, 04:48 AM
Yow!!! That makes me glad that I am storing beer and not water! :biglaugh:
Found your stash
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160603/4b8e5b6138560ada543e33f10e5539f5.jpg

TJC44
06-03-2016, 06:55 AM
Found your stash
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160603/4b8e5b6138560ada543e33f10e5539f5.jpg

Now THAT ^^^^ is prepping!!!