PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Blade Show

RWalls
06-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Just got back from the blade show at the expo center in Atlanta. I always like to go forward the end of the last day. That way if there's any deals to be had I will likely get them then. Well this expo didn't disappoint. I got a new Benchmade OTF called the Pagan. Brand new, in the box for $300. And then the Benchmade folks engraved it for me. They were a little pissed about the price, I got it at one of their vendors booths. They aren't suppose to go below 15% discount. I got about 25%. I told the dude that and he was like "which vendor! Which vendor!" I was like "F U I ain't no rat!"

DerBiermeister
06-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Not 100% sure, but I think that knife would get me arrested in Virginia.

RWalls
06-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Not 100% sure, but I think that knife would bet me arrested in Virginia.

A lot of states are like that, they don't allow carrying automatics. In GA you need a conceal carry license. Actually, you may not need one anymore but I'm not a lawyer so if you take my advice you get whatever comes to you because my advice is worth what you paid fer it, not one cent!

But this knife is great! I feel stupid though because I had just dropped $200 on an assist-opener Benchmade a few weeks ago. So now it's 3 damn benchmades and not enough hands.

Also I had this one group trying to peddle their sharpeners make my one knife razor sharp, their setup was real nice. Just not $250 nice. I would never pay that kind of money for a sharpener.

DerBiermeister
06-05-2016, 08:21 PM
A lot of states are like that, they don't allow carrying automatics. In GA you need a conceal carry license. Actually, you may not need one anymore but I'm not a lawyer so if you take my advice you get whatever comes to you because my advice is worth what you paid fer it, not one cent!

But this knife is great! I feel stupid though because I had just dropped $200 on an assist-opener Benchmade a few weeks ago. So now it's 3 damn benchmades and not enough hands.

Also I had this one group trying to peddle their sharpeners make my one knife razor sharp, their setup was real nice. Just not $250 nice. I would never pay that kind of money for a sharpener.

I don't believe Virginia has any kind of permit for automatic knives. Our CHP is for handguns only.

Regarding your comment on knife sharpeners at the show, I know just which one you are talking about -- Wicked Edge. Unbelievable how much they want for their system. I reported on all this a year or so ago. Here is the link

http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?3282-How-do-you-sharpen-your-favorite-blades&highlight=knife+sharpener

Go to post #11 and you will see the best setup for the money you can imagine. I've owned and used it now for awhile and it is out of this world.

Arklatex
06-05-2016, 08:25 PM
I was like "F U I ain't no rat!"

That's what I'm talkin bout!

Slippy
06-05-2016, 09:31 PM
Slippy approved.

RWalls
06-08-2016, 02:04 AM
Regarding your comment on knife sharpeners at the show, I know just which one you are talking about -- Wicked Edge. Unbelievable how much they want for their system. I reported on all this a year or so ago. Here is the link

http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?3282-How-do-you-sharpen-your-favorite-blades&highlight=knife+sharpener

Go to post #11 and you will see the best setup for the money you can imagine. I've owned and used it now for awhile and it is out of this world.

Yes that is the system.

RubberDuck
06-08-2016, 02:50 AM
I like that set up been on my want list for some time just haven't saved for ir yet.
so many wants to many needs an not enough coin.

Sasquatch
06-08-2016, 03:05 AM
I like that set up been on my want list for some time just haven't saved for ir yet.
so many wants to many needs an not enough coin.

Amen brotha.

BTW, nice blade @RWalls

DerBiermeister
06-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Just got back from the blade show at the expo center in Atlanta. I always like to go forward the end of the last day. That way if there's any deals to be had I will likely get them then. Well this expo didn't disappoint. I got a new Benchmade OTF called the Pagan. Brand new, in the box for $300. And then the Benchmade folks engraved it for me. They were a little pissed about the price, I got it at one of their vendors booths. They aren't suppose to go below 15% discount. I got about 25%. I told the dude that and he was like "which vendor! Which vendor!" I was like "F U I ain't no rat!"

Just a question or two

That is a hefty price to pay for the blade. So .....

Is the quality worth it?

How does the steel compare to say VG-10?

I watched a short youtube on a similar Benchmade design and the guy commented that the blade, when locked open, had a small amount of movement. I can't believe they would not make it 100% stiff.

RWalls
06-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Is the quality worth it?

I feel like it is worth it, I imagine Benchmade isn't for everybody, fit and function are great. In my line of work sometimes you are in a really tight spot and need a knife ASAP. This one fits well and at $300 its a good write off.

How does the steel compare to say VG-10?

I watched a short youtube on a similar Benchmade design and the guy commented that the blade, when locked open, had a small amount of movement. I can't believe they would not make it 100% stiff.

All these OTF knives have play, microtech, Hogue, etc. Not sure about the vg-10 steel