PDA

View Full Version : calorie intake and starvation mode

Gambit
06-09-2016, 08:43 AM
I got my butt chewed out at the doctors today
some of youse might remember at the other place when talked about diets . that I have a bad issue with my metabolism very low and with my medications it even worse.
today I found I lost over 18 pounds in 14 days. and she was really pissed at me
and now I have low energy and cant focus for crap.
now I heard if I don't eat more then 1000- 1500 calories for the next few days I will hit starvation mod which is very bad
I been eating roughly 500-600 calories a day and a few days I have gone to 800 at best. and I take b12 and fish oil and zinc to help with metabolism / pass threw easier so less fats itself wont stick on.
I am not ashamed on how big I am. I went from the 28th of may to june 9th
started off about 321-320now I am at 302.
I am a large man who is shaped like that of a gorilla . freakish long arms very wide shoulders and thick on muscles. in my prime at 23 I had a 400 pound bench press(that's allot )
3 doctors say the same number for me is to between 240-250 that's my ideal weight and that's due to my freakish frame and size 6'4-6'5 in height
I telling people this because if we ever have a issue where people are going hungry what to be ready for when you are close or already in starvation mode
1. tired and can not sleep
2. harder time understanding things . myself I have misread all kinds of things from here to other forums I belong to
3. weak with low to no endurance
4. cant cant focus for sh*t
if a shft hits right now I am f**ked and not in a good way!
so please keep in mind you should never starve yourself too long and same time do actives that burn calories carbs and fats or you will pay the price and its costly . trust me it is
so if I ever start talking gibberish and even harder to understand me, tell me to shut up and go eat something

hawgrider
06-09-2016, 08:55 AM
Diets don't work. They never did they never will. Anybody who has dieted knows that you will gain the weight back.

Its hard to do. I have not mastered it either but I know what to do I'm just am not ready to do it.

Well balanced meals, moderation and portion control is the only way for absolute success. Complete lifestyle change.

hag
06-09-2016, 09:17 PM
Diets don't work. They never did they never will. Anybody who has dieted knows that you will gain the weight back.

Its hard to do. I have not mastered it either but I know what to do I'm just am not ready to do it.

Well balanced meals, moderation and portion control is the only way for absolute success. Complete lifestyle change.

Hawg your right about balanced meals and portion control but that's the hardest thing for me. I'm as active as anyone and put in long days of hard work but that doesn't help when I eat three burgers and two pounds of fried potatoes for supper lol

hag
06-09-2016, 09:19 PM
I got my butt chewed out at the doctors today
some of youse might remember at the other place when talked about diets . that I have a bad issue with my metabolism very low and with my medications it even worse.
today I found I lost over 18 pounds in 14 days. and she was really pissed at me
and now I have low energy and cant focus for crap.
now I heard if I don't eat more then 1000- 1500 calories for the next few days I will hit starvation mod which is very bad
I been eating roughly 500-600 calories a day and a few days I have gone to 800 at best. and I take b12 and fish oil and zinc to help with metabolism / pass threw easier so less fats itself wont stick on.
I am not ashamed on how big I am. I went from the 28th of may to june 9th
started off about 321-320now I am at 302.
I am a large man who is shaped like that of a gorilla . freakish long arms very wide shoulders and thick on muscles. in my prime at 23 I had a 400 pound bench press(that's allot )
3 doctors say the same number for me is to between 240-250 that's my ideal weight and that's due to my freakish frame and size 6'4-6'5 in height
I telling people this because if we ever have a issue where people are going hungry what to be ready for when you are close or already in starvation mode
1. tired and can not sleep
2. harder time understanding things . myself I have misread all kinds of things from here to other forums I belong to
3. weak with low to no endurance
4. cant cant focus for sh*t
if a shft hits right now I am f**ked and not in a good way!
so please keep in mind you should never starve yourself too long and same time do actives that burn calories carbs and fats or you will pay the price and its costly . trust me it is
so if I ever start talking gibberish and even harder to understand me, tell me to shut up and go eat something

Hang in there gambit. Maybe drink you a powerade zero or a g2 or get some vitamins to offset the sluggishness a little.

Deebo
06-09-2016, 09:35 PM
Being a huge guy, at 5-11 and 433 pounds, I can attest to eating three cheeseburgers and pounds of fries.
If you shrink your stomach (inside), like you already have. You have got to limit yourself to small meals. Its sucks ass. Your brain and eyes make you wanna eat. I love food. But I had the lapband, to limit my intake.
Have someone else make your plate for you.
And, this part sucks, but if your down to those calories that you said, you know that hunger pains won't kill you.
If you want, look up my liquid diet that I used for preoperative lap and.
And, be carefully. Exercise to get energy. I am laying in a hospital bed right now, becouse when big guys loose weight they develop gall stones.
Pm me if you want, I'll go e you my number, and can try to help.
Doctors don't always know best, but dint ignore them, I think I was at 1100 calories for twenty one days.

Deebo
06-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Oh, and now I'm at two twenty five, so I'm not blowing smoke

Gambit
06-10-2016, 09:44 AM
my wife and mother screamed at me for hours after hearing how stupid I was
I went to 1400 calories maybe 1500 and at the end of the day some of it was coming out and it did not taste as good going down
I have not went potty since last week Monday so now I get the drink this nasty clear really sweet but has no sugar I cant recall its name but it dose clean you out, doctor feels I might have a few easy pounds in me from that alone
I learned a big lesson that I will not forget and figure what I learn might help others who thinking of doing the same stupid mistake as I did and will regret it later
I no got to take it easy and eat over 1300 calories today then I can go back to lower calories but I need to bring them up every few days apart about 2-3 times a week but never go below 600 calories 2 days in a row
and to remember when I do activates to add that and the calories I burn to what I eat and I am not aloud to take more then 5000mg of B12 ever again I was doing 2000 and that also very stupid and then add what I did threw the out the day from riding my bike for 1 -1/2 hours a day plus 1 1-1/2 hours of walking which end up doing more damage to my knees hip and spin . I am in pain like hell now still . doctor said I was likely burning 1100-1600 calories a day not adding house work and sleeping which all burn calories and due to eating only 400-500 calories that put me on boarder line starvation mode.
after all said and done I will be watching what I eat and not go to crazy which cake and fatty foods and such

Sasquatch
06-10-2016, 11:47 AM

You are both right and wrong. Balanced meals and moderation are spot on. As far as diets we all do it. The act of eating is a diet. We just have to choose what type of diet we are going to have. And "fad" diets are the worst because each of them can't be sustained. Hence gaining weight back once you've stopped.

Somewhere along the line in America the word diet got changed into something it's not. We need people to once again understand diet is not a way to lose weight, it's just what we eat. So it can be a good diet of moderation and balanced meals (as you stated) or a bad diet of junk food or crap.

The human body needs X amount of calories per day to just survive. Put in the right type of calories most of the time your survival rate goes up. Wrong type of calories most of the time and it goes down.

And lastly I will say life is also meant to be enjoyed. So occasionally have that piece of cake or dark beer or double cheeseburger. As Hawg said, the key word is MODERATION.

Sent from Tapatalk (aka Uranus)

Sasquatch
06-10-2016, 11:49 AM
And Gambit. Good luck to you my friend. I know the process can be a difficult one.

Sent from Tapatalk (aka Uranus)

hawgrider
06-10-2016, 11:53 AM
You are both right and wrong. Balanced meals and moderation are spot on. As far as diets we all do it. The act of eating is a diet. We just have to choose what type of diet we are going to have. And "fad" diets are the worst because each of them can't be sustained. Hence gaining weight back once you've stopped.

Somewhere along the line in America the word diet got changed into something it's not. We need people to once again understand diet is not a way to lose weight, it's just what we eat. So it can be a good diet of moderation and balanced meals (as you stated) or a bad diet of junk food or crap.

The human body needs X amount of calories per day to just survive. Put in the right type of calories most of the time your survival rate goes up. Wrong type of calories most of the time and it goes down.

And lastly I will say life is also meant to be enjoyed. So occasionally have that piece of cake or dark beer or double cheeseburger. As Hawg said, the key word is MODERATION.

Sent from Tapatalk (aka Uranus)To clarify thats exactly what I meant by diets (fad diets) low fat, Adkins, milkshake diets and the like.

Deebo
06-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Bro, you gotta do this slowly. You didn't get big in one day. Slow down. I see it all the ttime, big guys getting plumb wore out from jumping in too hard. Small steps on a big lifelong journey.

Gambit
07-22-2016, 07:32 AM
UPDATE..

went to the doc's to do a weight check/ lowering my med usage yesterday , I lost anther 11 pounds making it a total 39 pounds in 56 days
28 the first time in 26 days if any one recall I posted it and starvation mode and what not, when I went to see her on the first of july I end up gaining 5 pounds back and she said it was because my body went into starvation mode and it made if worse so from there I chilled on the weight loss and how much I was eating.
because of my hard work without able to work out much and having self control I bounced back.
and because I had a certain kind day happen which I not saying because I hate that day, I told myself that I would smoke some turkey legs ( healthier ) and something else.
turkey legs because they are not very fatty and low calorie so I can have them as I grind my way down.
so I did learn that starvation mode happens very easy so if the SHTF ever happens and it will i will know better.
31 pounds left to go until i am at the ideal weight for a man of my large frame .

please learn for those who might have lost a large amount of weight, DO NOT GO BACK TO OLD HABITS! think before you want to eat 1 pound of bacon everyday with double fudge cake. this way you wont gain it all back and do treat yourself to BBQ and sweets just think twice before wanting 3rds.

sorry to bring this zombie thread back from the dead and once goal reached i will put the bullet in its head

hawgrider
07-22-2016, 07:41 AM
Good work Gambit. Lifestyle change is a bitch.

Deebo
07-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Great job. Less intake, more output equals weight loss.
Eat slow, real slow.
Your body your choice.

Slippy
07-22-2016, 11:09 AM
UPDATE..

went to the doc's to do a weight check/ lowering my med usage yesterday , I lost anther 11 pounds making it a total 39 pounds in 56 days
28 the first time in 26 days if any one recall I posted it and starvation mode and what not, when I went to see her on the first of july I end up gaining 5 pounds back and she said it was because my body went into starvation mode and it made if worse so from there I chilled on the weight loss and how much I was eating.
because of my hard work without able to work out much and having self control I bounced back.
and because I had a certain kind day happen which I not saying because I hate that day, I told myself that I would smoke some turkey legs ( healthier ) and something else.
turkey legs because they are not very fatty and low calorie so I can have them as I grind my way down.
so I did learn that starvation mode happens very easy so if the SHTF ever happens and it will i will know better.
31 pounds left to go until i am at the ideal weight for a man of my large frame .

please learn for those who might have lost a large amount of weight, DO NOT GO BACK TO OLD HABITS! think before you want to eat 1 pound of bacon everyday with double fudge cake. this way you wont gain it all back and do treat yourself to BBQ and sweets just think twice before wanting 3rds.

sorry to bring this zombie thread back from the dead and once goal reached i will put the bullet in its head

Keep it up Gambit. Great job!!!

TJC44
07-22-2016, 04:02 PM
Hey, you're doing good, Gambit, keep it up.

Inor
07-22-2016, 04:23 PM
UPDATE..

Atta boy!

Hawg, Ark, BL - Ya'll think up a new medal for this one! Make it funny!

Dwight55
07-22-2016, 06:04 PM

Sorry, my friend, . . . gonna have to call you on this one.

IF, . . . and I say again, . . . IF the right mind set is there to start with, . . . and a proper diet is chosen, . . . IT DOES WORK, . . . I'm living proof of it.

But it's kinda like the old saw that says we will quit smoking when the want to quit is greater than the want to continue. Same goes for eating and getting fat / staying fat.

BEFORE: somewhere in the "almost lard-butt" phase at around 215 (6'1" / medium frame), . . . high blood pressure, . . . no real energy, . . . could put away more fries, chips, and chili cheese Fritos than I could carry, . . . could not pass up the pies, cakes, doughnuts, . . .

AFTER: got onto the Adkins / Cave-man / Paleo, . . . whichever you want to call it, . . . went down to 167 in about 9 months time.

THREW AWAY THE HBP MEDS, . . . have not been on them since. Have way more energy most of the time, . . . even struggling with the beginnings of COPD.

The thing to remember about those three diets, . . . their main focus is getting rid of the foods that our bodies were NOT INTENDED to consume in the quantities we do. YES, by all means, we do need carbohydrates, . . . but not in the levels that baked potatoes, enriched white bread, long grain white rice, french fries, pastries, etc will add to the equation.

Our bodies were originally designed for the first thousands of years for a mostly meat / roughage / fat / nuts / berries / type diet. ALL of our grain we eat MUST be processed, . . . don't believe it, . . . go eat a handful of raw wheat berries.

We as humans, . . . have adopted a diet that is foreign to the diet our forefathers ate up to less than a couple hundred years ago. There were no triple cheese burgers, . . . biggie fries, . . . and diet Pepsi's when our forefathers wore size 36 or 38 belts.

Get serious about following a lower carb diet (especially the man made carbs) and you will see the pounds fall off with no reduction in energy or comprehension. At least that is EXACTLY what happened in my case.

May God bless,
Dwight

Gambit
07-22-2016, 08:58 PM
I known a few people who did low carb diets and south beach type diets and they was able to keep the weight from coming back by hitting the goal they wanted and use their brains afterwards
those who gain the weight back do such because soon they say I'm eating all this cake and later chicken wings then a 1 gallon icecream shake m after all that then they go and cry how they got the weight back because of that diet. when it is their own fault for regaining it back.
the last 15-20 pounds i am taken it slowly so my body dose not rebound and bam! i found the weight that i have work hard to lose.
the starvation mode i was in was a leason i wont ever forget.
i was just weak and yet could not rest and i felt like i was doped up with out the good feelings you get from the drugs.
11 pound within a month is much healthier then the 28 pounds in 26 days.
i thank everybody and i am even debating on showing old pictures of how it goes until i hit that 250 I'm working hard to get.

P.S hanging skin is f**king with my sidearm, keep getting in the way and i know TMI but those who fallow suit might want to be ready for this to happen

Arklatex
07-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Good luck Gambit! Hope you reach your goal.

Baglady
07-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Wow. I missed this post last month. Deebo and Gambit, you guys are amazing! Like Hawg said, lifestyle changes are sooo hard, and I think we all understand that to some degree.
So Congratulations on your hard work.
Hubby and I both are a bit over weight too. Life gets so busy, you kind of forget to take care of yourself.

Tonight we went to a steak house we haven't been to in years. Now that I'm lactose intolerant (i think), I did not order the baked potato with sour cream, or the salad with ranch dressing. I had salad with the house vinegar and oil...(yuk) and about 10 plain ranch fries.
We each ate only about 4 ounces of the "Steak for Two".
Small changes for sure, but you guys inspire me.

I have a sister who has always had a weight problem, tipping the scales at about 300lbs, at only 5ft.
Last time I saw her, she was looking really good. She was working for a Dr, who taught her how to "graze". Grazing through out the day on carrot sticks, peanuts, wheat cereal, (non-sugar), apple/orange slices, etc. in small baggies. Then when she had a sensible meal, she would eat less, because she wasn't very hungry. It worked for her.

Now I have to change my eating habits too, although I probably eat less than 1000 calories a day.
You guys are inspiring. Thanks.

Dwight55
07-23-2016, 03:10 PM
As an aside to my earlier comments, . . . yes, . . . getting on a diet means you WILL HAVE TO make life style changes.

I made a life style change when I determined that drinking interfered with my financial life, . . . my next day life (hangover + migraines), . . . so I quit drinking.

I made a life style change when I determined that smoking was interfering with my desireable life span, . . . so I quit smoking.

And later, . . . I found out that ice cream, chocolate cake, french fries, baked potatoes, chinee-flied-lice, and many other foods were making me fat, . . . so I quit em.

Now, . . . I enjoy the heck out of a 2 pound steak with green beans, . . . whatever spices spark my fancy that particular day, . . . and I'll wolf down a whole pint of red rasberries if you look the other way when I reach for them.

Life style changes to enhance life are good, . . . sometimes hard, . . . I'd love to have a straight Camel cigarette, . . . probably could do well with a bourbon and water in a dirty glass, . . . but I know where they will take me, . . . and I'm not going back there again.

Lower carb diets are indeed a life style change, . . . and it is easy to revert, . . . just watch what you do.

Today, . . . I munched a small piece of chocolate cake with sour cream frosting, . . . and a plain chocolate cupcake, . . . so I'll watch a little tighter tomorrow, . . . and all should be well.

May God bless,
Dwight

Inor
07-23-2016, 04:34 PM
For the first 40 years of my life, I had the exact opposite problem. I could not keep weight on to save my soul. I could literally eat anything and still had a hard time maintaining my weight. It was a concern because I was eating around 2000 calories per day just to maintain. If I ate less, I would actually get weak. When I hit 40, it was like somebody turned on the fat switch. Over the winters I do get a bit oversized just due to lack of physical activity. Since we have started the move effort however, I have dropped about 2 inches around my middle (which is about where I want to be) but actually gained a few pounds. I am hoping to be able to stay more active all year round now that we will be living in a better climate.

MrsInor
07-23-2016, 04:51 PM
There has to be a way to combine OTP and exercise. OTP-Go?

Arklatex
07-23-2016, 05:49 PM
An app where you have to punch hippies!?

MrsInor
07-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Extra points for making them spin.

Gambit
07-23-2016, 06:33 PM
where can I download this app

and now I have the image of WILL2 playing pokemon go. maybe its because it is a hippie

MrsInor
07-23-2016, 06:35 PM
OTP Hippie-Go. I like it. Then later OTP MooseSlime-Go

Inor
07-23-2016, 07:38 PM
An app where you have to punch hippies!?

We have that already. It is called walking into any sidewalk cafe in America, look around and take your pick.

TJC44
07-23-2016, 09:11 PM

Most of us combine OTP with either 2 oz or 12 oz curls.

hawgrider
07-23-2016, 09:15 PM
Most of us combine OTP with either 2 oz or 12 oz curls.Oh hell yes!