PDA

View Full Version : Mistakes Nearly Everyone Makes When Buying Rural Land

hawgrider
06-17-2016, 05:44 AM
My rudimentary grasp of mathematics tells me I have done the homesteading world a big favor. According to the law of averages, high numbers are offset by equally low numbers.

When it comes to mistakes made in buying rural property, I have made enough to allow for a lot of other people to keep theirs to a minimum.

I do understand that the law of averages isn’t quite that cut and dried. And I am pleased to say that my husband and I did do some things right when we bought our place in 2007.

But we have learned many lessons since then, and I would like to share a few points from my own successes and failures which might be helpful to others who are in the process of buying a homestead.

As with any real estate, there are three important factors to consider first: location, location, location. The following questions should be asked:

Is the property in a flood zone or prone to other natural disasters?
Is it in close proximity to eyesores, former chemical spills, or landfills?
What kind of road is it on? If on a back road, who will maintain it and keep it passable in all seasons? If on the main road, what is the traffic like?

When we bought our property,
http://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/mistakes-nearly-everyone-makes-when-buying-rural-land/

Slippy
06-17-2016, 06:54 AM
Good article. When we bought the 30 +- acres now known as Slippy Lodge, my sister in law and her husband also bought a tract of land adjacent to us. We share a private dirt/gravel road and our agreement was that we would share the cost and labor to upkeep the road. It typically needs a load of gravel ($500) spread in various places once per year and approximately 6 or 7 times a year it needs Bush Hogging.

My sister in law helped me and Mrs Slippy spread some gravel a total of 1 time.

Her dipshit husband has never lifted a finger to help yet. About 2 years ago I called him out and he rarely comes out to his property since . (They live in town about 15-20 miles away)

So essentially, I now have 30 +- more acres without the tax burden! The only downside is the road maintenance is up to me.

Montana Rancher
06-29-2016, 12:14 AM
Not a lot of redeeming values in the linked article. Posting on a site like "off grid news" and claiming you are golden as the county plows your road first seems an oxymoron.

IMO have a plow of your own.

Zoning, hahaha what is that?

In closing just get far enough away from governments as you can, do what you want and nobody cares, that is the perfect off grid area.

Below my property is a "subdivision" where they say only single family housing on a 5 acre tract. My neighbor remodeled a garage and moved in his father, my response... good for you for taking care of yours.

Doesn't hurt me, so what do I care.

freekin government.

hawgrider
06-29-2016, 05:26 AM
Not a lot of redeeming values in the linked article. Posting on a site like "off grid news" and claiming you are golden as the county plows your road first seems an oxymoron.

IMO have a plow of your own.

Zoning, hahaha what is that?

In closing just get far enough away from governments as you can, do what you want and nobody cares, that is the perfect off grid area.

Below my property is a "subdivision" where they say only single family housing on a 5 acre tract. My neighbor remodeled a garage and moved in his father, my response... good for you for taking care of yours.

Doesn't hurt me, so what do I care.

freekin government.Very few places if any that there isn't some zoning laws. Even fewer that you can do what you want.

"Montana sucks tell your friends."

rice paddy daddy
06-30-2016, 12:53 PM
Our place is zoned OR. Open Rural.
We only have 4 acres, but the location is excellent. A dead end dirt road 6 miles outside a one stop light town, and less than 3 miles to the state line.
The eastern half of our county is where most of the population lives, we only venture over there when we absolutely need to.
Our neighbors are quiet folks, and our woodlot in the back is surrounded by other woods and one neighbors cattle pasture.
Lots of woods around, not so comfortable during wildfire season.

Montana Rancher
07-02-2016, 11:55 PM
Very few places if any that there isn't some zoning laws. Even fewer that you can do what you want.

"Montana sucks tell your friends."

I have 40 acres unzoned, and I would guess a majority of the property in my valley is unzoned.

Where they sub divide the land they often make covenetns, mostly out here it is how may houses for so many acres.

Oh and yes I agree, Montana sucks, tell your friends.

hawgrider
07-03-2016, 07:44 AM
Oh and yes I agree, Montana sucks, tell your friends.Its your quote. It was your sig line for while.

Montana Rancher
07-03-2016, 10:22 PM
yes

Sorry you missed the point

I'm going to ask, as a moderator on the "survival and prepping" part of this site, what are your qualifications?

You got "opsec" covered being from "the third hollar on the the right" but I've never really seen you post a bio of yourself and how prepared you are.

A couple paragraphs, make shit up if you must, but the more detailed the more likely we will believe you.

Your one sentence reply's are again pissing me off.

Arklatex
07-03-2016, 11:27 PM
yes

I'm going to ask, as a moderator on the "survival and prepping" part of this site, what are your qualifications?

You got "opsec" covered being from "the third hollar on the the right" but I've never really seen you post a bio of yourself and how prepared you are.

A couple paragraphs, make shit up if you must, but the more detailed the more likely we will believe you.

He doesn't need to do that. We know and respect the value that Hawg offers our community. If you came around more often maybe you would know too... Here's my suggestion for you: go start some threads. Open up some conversations on what you're interested in discussing. Or teach us something. You had a good thread once about knife sharpening, surely that ain't all you got...

Slippy
07-04-2016, 06:25 AM
yes

Does anyone know why the Montana Rancher has a burr up his ass?

Prepared One
07-04-2016, 06:45 AM

I thought he was born with a burr up his ass.

A Watchman
07-04-2016, 07:21 AM
He keeps telling ya ........ but you guys don't get it and wont give him a pass for it ............ Montana sucks!

hawgrider
07-04-2016, 09:05 AM
yes

Your one sentence reply's are again pissing me off.What? You mean there was a point in your one sentence reply? For the love of God spell it out you kryptic 40 acre ranchman.

Hawg: You have any grounds?

Montana : Yup I got 40 acres.

Hawg: You got a case?

Montana : Nope I got a John Deere.

Hawg: Do you have a grudge?

Montana : Yup thats where I keep ma John Deere.

Hawg: So what rubbed you so raw and made you think the outdoor trading post was a prepping only site?

Montana : Oh you mean this isn't the Prepper forums?

Hawg : No dipshit and we aren't ever going to try to be.

Hawg: So welcome back and try some prepper ration H on your hemmroids and maybe your ass won't be so raw.

Hawg: Gee whiz this was fun. Can't wait for the next round woo hoo! Now we got us some heat to go with the fire.

inceptor
07-04-2016, 09:30 AM

He's ALWAYS been that way.

hawgrider
07-04-2016, 09:35 AM

Your one sentence reply's are again pissing me off.Not that I owe you a damn thing but just to make more fun of you ..

I've been huntin, killen and putting up meat since before you were shitting yellow.

I've been canning and putting stuff up since long before you were still pukeing on your daddys shoulder.

I plowed fields with a Case not a John Deere and raised chickens, horses, rabbits long before you were a twinkle in your daddys eye.

I stocked supplys while your mama was buying your diapers.

Any other questions? If so keep them to yourself Ok?

Slippy
07-04-2016, 10:04 AM
Damnit Hawg, I just snorted Vodka and bloody Mary mix thru my nose.

(If you're going to drink all day you have to start in the morning!)

hawgrider
07-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Damnit Hawg, I just snorted Vodka and bloody Mary mix thru my nose.

(If you're going to drink all day you have to start in the morning!)
I absolutely love vodka bloody marys. You are going to have a fantastic day!

RubberDuck
07-04-2016, 11:05 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160704/19aa879580378df4836c754e97a1156b.jpg

hawgrider
07-04-2016, 11:08 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160704/19aa879580378df4836c754e97a1156b.jpgDon't forget to tell your friends.

Slippy
07-04-2016, 11:46 AM
I absolutely love vodka bloody marys. You are going to have a fantastic day!

Mrs Slippy, God Bless her...she's very smart, cute and fun (most of the time)!

But the girl can ask some dumbass questions! Like this morning she sees me pouring some Vodka in a Stadium Cup and says "are you drinking already! Duh?

Inor
07-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Mrs Slippy, God Bless her...she's very smart, cute and fun (most of the time)!

But the girl can ask some dumbass questions! Like this morning she sees me pouring some Vodka in a Stadium Cup and says "are you drinking already! Duh?

As you know, I am a man that lives by my rules. Here are a couple that are pertinent to this discussion:

#649 - Never drink before noon.

#650 - It is noon somewhere.

Sasquatch
07-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Not that I owe you a damn thing but just to make more fun of you ..

I've been huntin, killen and putting up meat since before you were shitting yellow.

I've been canning and putting stuff up since long before you were still pukeing on your daddys shoulder.

I plowed fields with a Case not a John Deere and raised chickens, horses, rabbits long before you were a twinkle in your daddys eye.

I stocked suppys while your mama was buying your diapers.

Any other questions? If so keep them to yourself Ok?

I have a question. Are Montana Rancher and AZ Rancher brothers that live in different parts of the country? You know, same last name and all.

Slippy
07-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Back when I gave a shit about such things, me and Mrs S had season tickets to our favorite college football games. We had 8 other folks in our group. 2 of them were buddies who somehow made it thru Med School and were practicing doc's.

On Saturday home game mornings we will pull into our tailgate spot and EVERY TIME FOR 8 YEARS we would find Doc 1 and Doc 2 sitting there already drinking. Try as I did to beat the to the parking spot, they were ALWAYS there ahead of us, drinking. 7 am, 8 am it didn't matter.

Mrs S asked that same dumb question to them as I recall. Bless her heart...

Inor
07-04-2016, 01:07 PM
Back when I gave a shit about such things, me and Mrs S had season tickets to our favorite college football games. We had 8 other folks in our group. 2 of them were buddies who somehow made it thru Med School and were practicing doc's.

On Saturday home game mornings we will pull into our tailgate spot and EVERY TIME FOR 8 YEARS we would find Doc 1 and Doc 2 sitting there already drinking. Try as I did to beat the to the parking spot, they were ALWAYS there ahead of us, drinking. 7 am, 8 am it didn't matter.

Mrs S asked that same dumb question to them as I recall. Bless her heart...

Do not be slamming on Mrs Slippy. I am pretty sure she can kick your ass!

Slippy
07-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Do not be slamming on Mrs Slippy. I am pretty sure she can kick your ass!

Good point.:whippin:

Targetshooter
07-05-2016, 05:12 AM

are you sure it's a burr ? or is it something else ? LMAO