PDA

View Full Version : Old grape jelly??

RWalls
06-29-2016, 09:36 PM
So I got a jar of jelly, best by date is 4/2013. All those preservatives that you find In other products are not in mine. I'm just wonder how long you think it will take before I die?

Inor
06-29-2016, 09:50 PM
If it still tastes okay, I would think you will live to a ripe old age. Just my opinion.

When I was in college and dirt poor, I used to buy turkey hot dogs that were near expiration from the scratch and dent supermarket because they were cheap. I often let them sit in the refrigerator for a few months after expiration and they were fine. And that was meat (sort of). I 'spect it is fine. Try it, if you don't show up for a few months we'll know I was wrong. :biglaugh:

hag
06-29-2016, 10:57 PM
Just scrape off any mold on top and the rest should be fine

Baglady
06-29-2016, 11:33 PM
I think it would be fine. My .02 cents.

hawgrider
06-30-2016, 04:17 AM
Just scrape off any mold on top and the rest should be fineThats what Grandma would do.

Montana Rancher
07-03-2016, 12:10 AM
I just recently fed my chickens raspberry jelly I canned in 1991, yes you heard me right 25 years ago.

The seal was still good and after several days my chickens are all still alive.

So, I'm guessing it would probably have fed people, although if you knew what my chickens will eat I'm not sure.

Dwight55
07-04-2016, 08:31 PM
I just recently fed my chickens raspberry jelly I canned in 1991, yes you heard me right 25 years ago.

The seal was still good and after several days my chickens are all still alive.

So, I'm guessing it would probably have fed people, although if you knew what my chickens will eat I'm not sure.

If I'd a been there, . . . I'd a traded you a bag of chicken feed for it.

Love rasberry jelly, . . . red or black. Picked a small handful of black ones yesterday, . . . hoping for a couple quarts of wild ones this week.

May God bless,
Dwight