PDA

View Full Version : Hot Pepper Sauce

Broncosfan
07-08-2016, 07:34 PM
I have been thinking about this for a couple of years. Last year my pepper crop wasn't big enough to try it. Anyone out there make there own aged pepper sauce?? Any advice? I have read some on the subject and I have a large crock just waiting for enough peppers to get started. Any recipes?

hawgrider
07-08-2016, 07:37 PM
I have been thinking about this for a couple of years. Last year my pepper crop wasn't big enough to try it. Anyone out there make there own aged pepper sauce?? Any advice? I have read some on the subject and I have a large crock just waiting for enough peppers to get started. Any recipes?
Aged in a crock as in fermenting?

Broncosfan
07-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Yes sorry I didn't get the right word out. i was reading up some about making aged pepper mash to start and thats what came to mind when I wrote the thread.

hawgrider
07-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Yes sorry I didn't get the right word out. i was reading up some about making aged pepper mash to start and thats what came to mind when I wrote the thread.
I do some fermenting. I've done crock dill pickles before. The pepper sauce sounds interesting. I only have a little 2 gallon crock.

Broncosfan
07-08-2016, 07:56 PM
I have a 3 gallon I think. But I also have a huge glass jar that looks like a over sized canning jar. I have used it to do a sweet pickle recipe that takes a week or so to make. I have a Rumtopt that has been aging for 2 years this fall. It has raspberries, strawberries and so other fruit and of course rum. I'm waiting to try it becasue they say it mellows the longer it ages.

hawgrider
07-08-2016, 08:02 PM
What kind of peppers are recommended for the pepper sauce?

I envison my perfect pepper sauce somewhere between Louisiana hot sauce and Tabasco sauce.

Broncosfan
07-08-2016, 08:06 PM

I envison my perfect pepper sauce somewhere between Louisiana hot sauce and Tabasco sauce.

It just depends on what type you want. I have a book on them and it gives basic recipes for all the major brands of sauce. Most any king of pepper can be used. I plan to use a little of every kind for me not too hot then I would like to make a rear burner to give away. I already make a special salsa for some that I wouldn't touch due to the heat. It lit me up tasting it while I was cooking it.

Arklatex
07-08-2016, 08:10 PM

That sounds about right to me. Not too much vinegar and not too much BS. Just right. I would call it the goldilocks sauce. Cause it's just right. I've never tried this but I'm real interested in learning more about it for next year's growing season. What are yalls peppers of choice? I'm thinking cayenne would be a good candidate for this.

hawgrider
07-08-2016, 08:15 PM
It just depends on what type you want. I have a book on them and it gives basic recipes for all the major brands of sauce. Most any king of pepper can be used. I plan to use a little of every kind for me not too hot then I would like to make a rear burner to give away. I already make a special salsa for some that I wouldn't touch due to the heat. It lit me up tasting it while I was cooking it.
Hahaha nothing more gratifying than watching the bad ass friends sweat Lol Here hold my beer and watch this!

hawgrider
07-08-2016, 08:18 PM
That sounds about right to me. Not too much vinegar and not too much BS. Just right. I would call it the goldilocks sauce. Cause it's just right. I've never tried this but I'm real interested in learning more about it for next year's growing season. What are yalls peppers of choice? I'm thinking cayenne would be a good candidate for this.Yeah cayenne with one or two tabasco peppers.
I like the new hickory smoked tabasco sauce they have out now... so maybe add a little smoke ?

Arklatex
07-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Would you mind posting up a link to the book or telling us the Title and Author?

Broncosfan
07-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Tabsaco type would use red jalapenos or tabasco peppers

The major difference I can find in most of the Brand names is the amount of vinegar. Peppers are mostly the same but they could use a select type that could give them there distinct flavor.

Broncosfan
07-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Would you mind posting up a link to the book or telling us the Title and Author?

The Hot Sauce Cookbook I think its around $10 on amazon

Broncosfan
07-08-2016, 08:25 PM
The other is

Hot Sauce!
Techniques for Making Signature Hot Sauces
by Thompson

Also on Amazon the cheapest I have found.

Arklatex
07-08-2016, 08:27 PM
The Hot Sauce Cookbook I think its around $10 on amazon
This one?

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Sauce-Cookbook-Pepper-Recipes/dp/1607744260

My tail is wagging cause I just got excited for a new adventure!

Broncosfan
07-08-2016, 08:31 PM
This one?

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Sauce-Cookbook-Pepper-Recipes/dp/1607744260

My tail is wagging cause I just got excited for a new adventure!

No I have NOT read that one. If you enter The Hot Sauce Cookbook at Amazon its #2 on the list its $10.28 I think

Arklatex
07-08-2016, 08:48 PM
No I have NOT read that one. If you enter The Hot Sauce Cookbook at Amazon its #2 on the list its $10.28 I think
C'mon fella. Quit holding out on us and link to it or state the title and author... Obscure hints don't cut the mustard around here..

MrsInor
07-08-2016, 09:00 PM
NOnoNOno!!!!!! I do NOT need any more books right now. Do not post any good books until after August 15 PLEASE. I am so effing tired of packing boxes I just may set the house on fire.

Broncosfan
07-08-2016, 09:05 PM
C'mon fella. Quit holding out on us and link to it or state the title and author... Obscure hints don't cut the mustard around here..

Not trying to be smart but I gave you the name of the book! There is no author listed on the book. I also told you where it was located and the price. I just happened to be on amazon at the time and was loking for something for myself and didn't have time to post you a link.

Broncosfan
07-08-2016, 09:09 PM
NOnoNOno!!!!!! I do NOT need any more books right now. Do not post any good books until after August 15 PLEASE. I am so effing tired of packing boxes I just may set the house on fire.

MrsInor
Sorry its not a great book but does have some useful recipes for hot sauce for someone getting started. I have read several on the subject but all have useful information but not one is a great book on the subject. They all leave you asking more questions and most have a lot of recipes that I would never try or even use.

MrsInor
07-08-2016, 09:23 PM
I pretty much taught myself how to cook. A couple books I have are about the "chemistry" of cooking and what to do if things go wrong. And you will have to wait until after the move to get titles and authors. Having those encouraged me to experiment a lot more.

TJC44
07-08-2016, 10:15 PM

HaHaHa! Don't do that 'till AFTER the closing!

Broncosfan
10-12-2016, 06:23 PM
Well I jumped in and started a batch of peppers fermenting. I used a mix of peppers so I'm not trying to make a real butt burner. I did weigh everything so I have an idea of what is in the bath. Right @ 12 lbs of peppers. I have read different recipes fermenting 1 week to 6 months. I plan to wait at least 3 months. As I still have jalapenos I considering doing a green jalapeno sauce. I know they make one just never tried it. Now it wait and see!!

hawgrider
10-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Are you doing them in crocks ?

Lacto (salt) fermenting?

Broncosfan
10-12-2016, 07:43 PM
The first one I done in a crock. I plan to do the second in a glass pickle jar. Yes with the salt fermentation. I put a small amount of garlic to see how it does. I read that the flavor intensifies so I'm going easy on it for now. I would like to give it a hint of smoke but not sure how to do it. Will experiment when its done.

Deebo
09-14-2017, 12:00 PM
The first one I done in a crock. I plan to do the second in a glass pickle jar. Yes with the salt fermentation. I put a small amount of garlic to see how it does. I read that the flavor intensifies so I'm going easy on it for now. I would like to give it a hint of smoke but not sure how to do it. Will experiment when its done.

Update on the sauce?
And don't be vague, damnit.
just kidding friend.,

Broncosfan
09-14-2017, 02:01 PM
Update on the sauce?
And don't be vague, damnit.
just kidding friend.,

Actually its still fermenting in the crock both batches. Both batches look good but I think the green jalapeno will be the best. Age is supposed to make it even better. I should get to it later this month.

Broncosfan
01-16-2018, 07:18 AM
Update

I wasn't happy with my results. Just didn't that I had it right. Didn't seem spoiled but still my first time made me a little hesitant so dumped it. I will try the EASY Fermentor that has special lids that work with canning jars. I plan to use 1/2 gallon jars. Smaller batches will make it easy to try different ingredients and make different sauces. In a 5 gallon crock it was a little hard to handle. The two batches that I made in the refrigerator turned out great. So at least I have an idea of what I can expect. I will make a batch when the first jalapenos are ready and update later.

Broncosfan
10-02-2019, 08:35 PM
I'm at it again. I just finished starting a batch using the Easy Fermentor. I'm using a half gallon jar and its close to 3/4 full. I didn't get real creative on this one just Tabasco peppers and garlic. I did smoke the peppers with some cherry that we cut down eariler in the year. I have one more lid so I might get a little creative with the next batch

Inor
10-02-2019, 09:59 PM
I'm at it again. I just finished starting a batch using the Easy Fermentor. I'm using a half gallon jar and its close to 3/4 full. I didn't get real creative on this one just Tabasco peppers and garlic. I did smoke the peppers with some cherry that we cut down eariler in the year. I have one more lid so I might get a little creative with the next batch

Not saying you did it wrong... But one thing I did find with smoking with cherry, if the wood is not fully seasoned it does impart a bitter flavor. If you find a more bitter flavor than you are after, just try aging the cherry more. But, bitter is not alway bad either. (Hence my love for IPA beer.)

RubberDuck
10-03-2019, 03:09 AM
Another reason for bitter is the bark.
You don't notice it so much when smoking meats but vegetables you will try removing the bark.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Broncosfan
10-03-2019, 04:51 AM
I used smaller limbs from the tree. The bark was thin. Maybe that will help out with the bitterness. I have never noticed it before so maybe I got lucky. I will find out soon enough as I also done some paprika and onion spices in a pan at the same time

Baglady
10-11-2019, 06:18 PM
I didn't know there was fermented pepper sauce. All we do is stuff the peppers in the jars, pour boiling vinegar and water bath to cook and seal. Of course you can put tomatoes, onions, okra, whatever in there too.
I'd love to try it with smoked peppers. We just use cayenne peppers to make pepper sauce. I guess you can smoke those too.
I'm trying to think of what the flavor profile would be like. What's the best wood to smoke peppers?
I see your using cherry. I'd have to buy that.

Broncosfan
10-11-2019, 06:41 PM
I didn't know there was fermented pepper sauce. All we do is stuff the peppers in the jars, pour boiling vinegar and water bath to cook and seal. Of course you can put tomatoes, onions, okra, whatever in there too.
I'd love to try it with smoked peppers. We just use cayenne peppers to make pepper sauce. I guess you can smoke those too.
I'm trying to think of what the flavor profile would be like. What's the best wood to smoke peppers?
I see your using cherry. I'd have to buy that.

I have used apple, cherry, white oak. I also have used apple, hickory and competition pellets just depending on how much time I have to babysit the fire. From the different woods so far its tough to notice the difference in flavor from what wood is used. The actual Tabasco brand is fermented for 3 years I believe in oak barrels then its mixed with vinegar to get the correct flavor.

Baglady
10-11-2019, 06:48 PM
I have used apple, cherry, white oak. I also have used apple, hickory and competition pellets just depending on how much time I have to babysit the fire. From the different woods so far its tough to notice the difference in flavor from what wood is used. The actual Tabasco brand is fermented for 3 years I believe in oak barrels then its mixed with vinegar to get the correct flavor.

I didn't know they did all that. I actually don't use Tabasco. I use Salsa almost daily. Then we use our pepper sauce with pinto's, greens and cornbread.
I'm getting a little excited now..next year, home made salsa with smoked peppers...(and smoked tomatoes?) Anybody know how smoking tomatoes turns out?

Slippy
10-11-2019, 09:22 PM
...All we do is stuff the peppers in the jars, pour boiling vinegar and water bath to cook and seal...

Brings back memories BagLady! My Grandma, died in her 90's a long time ago. A number of years ago I was helping my Mom organize her cabinets and we ran across some jars of hot banana peppers that Grandma had canned, her distinctive writing was on the jars. Of course, Mom cried when she saw them.

They were at least 20+ years old and remembering how much I loved them and had helped Grandma can some veggies when I was a kid, I volunteered to try them.

They were as good as I remembered and while I'll never know the exact recipe that Grandma used, I keep trying to duplicate it!

More than likely just some peppers and vinegar, maybe some sugar or salt? Good memories!

Baglady
10-13-2019, 09:41 PM
Brings back memories BagLady! My Grandma, died in her 90's a long time ago. A number of years ago I was helping my Mom organize her cabinets and we ran across some jars of hot banana peppers that Grandma had canned, her distinctive writing was on the jars. Of course, Mom cried when she saw them.

They were at least 20+ years old and remembering how much I loved them and had helped Grandma can some veggies when I was a kid, I volunteered to try them.

They were as good as I remembered and while I'll never know the exact recipe that Grandma used, I keep trying to duplicate it!

More than likely just some peppers and vinegar, maybe some sugar or salt? Good memories!

I'm still learning the old ways, but these last several years I'm learning some new ways with all this smoking you guys do. I remember when Hawg and Rubber Duck were smoking everything in the fridge and cupboards, one was mac n cheese. I had to try that! So we did. It was amazing.

So many people have gotten so creative with cooking, that I can't stand to have a plain old hamburger anymore.

But one of my best memories were the days we came home from school, to the smell of home baked bread and fresh skimmings of strawberry jam.
Mom didn't get much time off from work, and she didn't waste any of it when she did.

hawgrider
10-13-2019, 09:45 PM
Mmm yes the smoked mac and cheese sounds good!

Baglady
10-13-2019, 10:14 PM
Mmm yes the smoked mac and cheese sounds good!

I know, right? Sensi :hail:

We've got to replenish our hickory supply soon. We've got one plum tree that has never bore fruit. It's about 8-10 yrs old. Can you use plum for smoking?

hawgrider
10-14-2019, 07:27 AM

We've got to replenish our hickory supply soon. We've got one plum tree that has never bore fruit. It's about 8-10 yrs old. Can you use plum for smoking?

Plum can be used. Yeah fruit wood is a go.

Broncosfan
10-14-2019, 08:00 AM

If you only have one planted and you like plums you might want to plant another variety for a pollinator before you cut it down to use for smoking. Plums need another variety for pollination

Baglady
10-14-2019, 10:47 PM
If you only have one planted and you like plums you might want to plant another variety for a pollinator before you cut it down to use for smoking. Plums need another variety for pollination

We have two behind the house, one of which is the non bearing one. But if it is useful to the other one, guess it stays.
We have two others I planted about 15 yrs ago, down the road a ways where we have a house trailer we rent out.
They both bear fruit, but may not be close enough to pollinate these behind the house.

Broncosfan
10-15-2019, 05:12 AM
We have two behind the house, one of which is the non bearing one. But if it is useful to the other one, guess it stays.
We have two others I planted about 15 yrs ago, down the road a ways where we have a house trailer we rent out.
They both bear fruit, but may not be close enough to pollinate these behind the house.

It does seem strange that you already have 2 planted behind your house and one of them is the one that not bearing. You didn't state how long ago the trees were planted behind your house. I'm no expert on plums but some trees take up to 6+ years to bear. Maybe its a later variety. I doubt the ones at the trailer are any help to pollinate your at your house. I have a good pollinator within 50' of all of my trees

Baglady
10-17-2019, 11:31 PM
It does seem strange that you already have 2 planted behind your house and one of them is the one that not bearing. You didn't state how long ago the trees were planted behind your house. I'm no expert on plums but some trees take up to 6+ years to bear. Maybe its a later variety. I doubt the ones at the trailer are any help to pollinate your at your house. I have a good pollinator within 50' of all of my trees

The plum trees behind the house are 8-10 yrs old. The one that bears fruit is in better soil than the other. It's never grown very big like the other, even tho they are probably 50-60 feet apart. There was a lot of gravel in the area of the non bearing tree. I didn't expect it to live, and it's maybe 1/3 of the size of the other.
I have my grape vine about 30 feet up the grade from the non bearing tree, and it does really well there. So..? I'm going to go with your first idea that the 2nd tree needs a pollinator and not cut it.
What did you say you were using to smoke your peppers? Cherry? Why did you decide to use that wood as opposed to peach or hickory, etc?

Broncosfan
10-18-2019, 04:54 AM
The plum trees behind the house are 8-10 yrs old. The one that bears fruit is in better soil than the other. It's never grown very big like the other, even tho they are probably 50-60 feet apart. There was a lot of gravel in the area of the non bearing tree. I didn't expect it to live, and it's maybe 1/3 of the size of the other.
I have my grape vine about 30 feet up the grade from the non bearing tree, and it does really well there. So..? I'm going to go with your first idea that the 2nd tree needs a pollinator and not cut it.
What did you say you were using to smoke your peppers? Cherry? Why did you decide to use that wood as opposed to peach or hickory, etc?

As far as what kind of wood it just depends what I have available at the time mostly. We have plenty of cherry after cutting down a tree. I don't buy wood to smoke with hardly ever. I do buy smoking pellets sometimes though

Broncosfan
01-28-2020, 01:42 PM
The batch of refrigerator hot sauce is now done. Although its good I think I will go back to all white oak wood smoke instead of using the tubes. The batch I done a couple of years ago had a more distinct smoke flavor.9744 I have another batch that is fermenting and I will get it finished in a few days.

hawgrider
01-28-2020, 03:04 PM
Looks pretty good. Tabasco hot or more like Louisiana hot or call 911 hot

Deebo
01-28-2020, 05:41 PM
MMM. I would love that on some fresh scrambled eggs. Great work.

Gambit
01-28-2020, 06:50 PM
that's what she said!!!!!
you all know it was over due

Broncosfan
01-28-2020, 06:52 PM
Looks pretty good. Tabasco hot or more like Louisiana hot or call 911 hot

Tabasco hot with a hint of garlic. I used white wine vinegar in this batch. Might be a touch hotter than regular Tabasco. I took a taste of about 1/2 a teaspoon and u could feel some heat. I used a 1/2 gallon and got 2 pints. A pint = 4 bottle with a little left but not much.

Broncosfan
01-28-2020, 06:53 PM

Yes I plan to use it on some eggs and also in a recipe for bbq sauce I have.

Slippy
01-28-2020, 08:45 PM
The batch of refrigerator hot sauce is now done. Although its good I think I will go back to all white oak wood smoke instead of using the tubes. The batch I done a couple of years ago had a more distinct smoke flavor.9744 I have another batch that is fermenting and I will get it finished in a few days.

Bronco McIlhenny!

Broncosfan
01-29-2020, 04:56 AM
Bronco McIlhenny!

Hey thats good! I might need an alias soon I think I will use it