PDA

View Full Version : Southern AZ desert survival thread

Arklatex
07-14-2016, 07:19 PM
I'll start off with this video

https://youtu.be/PJ1BEFa3WPg

Seems there's a lot of lessons to be learned from the Apache folks.

Arklatex
07-14-2016, 07:33 PM
https://youtu.be/43r-pvkzoHw

Never knew about the bees.

hawgrider
07-14-2016, 07:42 PM
Good video! Enjoyed it!

Baglady
07-14-2016, 08:33 PM
:( I wanna see...

TJC44
07-14-2016, 09:01 PM
:( I wanna see...

Is there anyplace near you that has Wi-Fi?

Baglady
07-14-2016, 09:21 PM
Is there anyplace near you that has Wi-Fi?

Nope. Our daughter is going to see if her new phone service has good reception out here. If it does, we'll probably replace our phone and internet with a cell phone. The one she's looking at is Metro PC (?)

Inor
07-14-2016, 10:02 PM
I'll start off with this video

https://youtu.be/PJ1BEFa3WPg

Seems there's a lot of lessons to be learned from the Apache folks.

The Cochise Stronghold mentioned in the video is just to the west of where we are moving - less than 1/4 mile. One we get down there and unpacked, please remind me. We have a BUNCH of cool books about the Apaches; everything from their history to how they lived off the land and everything in between. Unfortunately, they are all in boxes right now.

Apaches were NOT nice people at all, especially in regard to the Mexicans. Chief Cochise had a treaty for a while with the U.S. and was an honorable man (with a fire temper). Geronimo was an asshole. That is what actually split the Apache Nation up, 7 tribes went with Chief Cochise and made peace with the Americans for a while, 6 tribes went with Geronimo and waged war. Geronimo ended up captured, sent to a prison camp in Florida and died when he fell off his horse drunk. Good riddance to the prick. Chief Cochise... well that is a story for another time.

Baglady
07-15-2016, 09:27 AM
The Cochise Stronghold mentioned in the video is just to the west of where we are moving - less than 1/4 mile. One we get down there and unpacked, please remind me. We have a BUNCH of cool books about the Apaches; everything from their history to how they lived off the land and everything in between. Unfortunately, they are all in boxes right now.

Apaches were NOT nice people at all, especially in regard to the Mexicans. Chief Cochise had a treaty for a while with the U.S. and was an honorable man (with a fire temper). Geronimo was an asshole. That is what actually split the Apache Nation up, 7 tribes went with Chief Cochise and made peace with the Americans for a while, 6 tribes went with Geronimo and waged war. Geronimo ended up captured, sent to a prison camp in Florida and died when he fell off his horse drunk. Good riddance to the prick. Chief Cochise... well that is a story for another time.
Cool history. I'd love to hear more.

Are you going to take advantage of your new area, and go hunting for indian rocks (arrowheads, etc), and do some gold prospecting?

Sasquatch
07-15-2016, 11:10 AM
Desert survival is definitely different from the woods. The desert can kill you quick.

Sent from Tapatalk (aka Uranus, not to be confused with the Anus' at Survivalist Board)