PDA

View Full Version : Garlic Salt

Broncosfan
07-26-2016, 01:16 PM
So I decided to try smoking some fresh garlic

I seperated the cloves and peeled them. Then smoked them using a mixture of white oak with a hint of apple and pear probably about 4-5 hours. They had a nice color when I took them off.
I cut the larger cloves and put in the dehydrator. I would do this different next time. Will explain later.
When the garlic was dry I ground it in a coffee grinder. Put in storage jar.
Then I measured 3 tablespoons of Himalayan salt put in grinder ground slightly
Then I added 1 tablespoon garlic and ground it with the salt

This is the first time I have use Himalayan salt. It has a strong salt taste but doesn't over ride the garlic and then the added taste of the smoke.

I also done this with regular garlic but I decided after peeling the cloves to chopped it in the food processor lookinghg for a better way. . I then spread it on my dehydrator tray.(My dehydrator has the liner sheets) It dried so much faster. Since garlic is somewhat sticky I used a metal pancake turner to peel it loose and flip it over. Looked like a thin rice krispy treat. I then ground it then mixed like above 3 parts salt one part garlic. I did grind this somewhat finer.

Both appear the same color a slight off white with pink shades mixed it but the smoked looks more pink but that could be because it is courser. Its somewhat cloudy here today or I would try to take a picture. Will add one when I can.

I think this is a good way to save all the extra garlic from your garden.

I didn't weigh my garlic at the start so I can't give you exact start to finish ratio but I ended up with 2 8ox jelly jars of garlic before I started making the garlic salt.

RubberDuck
07-26-2016, 01:47 PM
I have smoked nearly every spice an seasoning mix in my cupboard the big trick is to stir it up every 30 min so the smoke covers evenly

hawgrider
07-26-2016, 02:41 PM
Excellent thanks Broncosfan. So your pretty happy with the end product?
I pulled my Garlic yesterday so I'm thinking about giving your method a whirl.

Broncosfan
07-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Excellent thanks Broncosfan. So your pretty happy with the end product?
I pulled my Garlic yesterday so I'm thinking about giving your method a whirl.

Yes I'm very happy with the end results. I think it has a stronger taste than store bought but that is probably due to being fresh. Who knows how old the product in the store is even before you get it. Then it was also probably grown in China and packed in the USA so At least I know where it came from and how it was handled.

shootbrownelk
07-27-2016, 10:18 AM
Yes I'm very happy with the end results. I think it has a stronger taste than store bought but that is probably due to being fresh. Who knows how old the product in the store is even before you get it. Then it was also probably grown in China and packed in the USA so At least I know where it came from and how it was handled.

Well, at least you know it won't contain any lead. That's a must use ingredient in ALL Chinese products.

hawgrider
07-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Decided since I have smoked himalayan salt already I won't smoke the garlic so I put some right in the dehydrator.

I'm thinking just for fun I'll try 2 smal batches. One with smoked himalayan salt and the other with kosher salt.

Broncosfan
07-27-2016, 02:41 PM
Decided since I have smoked himalayan salt already I won't smoke the garlic so I put some right in the dehydrator.

I'm thinking just for fun I'll try 2 smal batches. One with smoked himalayan salt and the other with kosher salt.

I think that you could vary this any way to your preference of taste. Small batches are a great idea. I didn't make a lot to begin with except the orginal amount of garlic. Now I can make a batch anytime.

Baglady
07-27-2016, 10:17 PM
I never thought about dehydrating garlic. Thanks!
Can anyone tell me why my home made horseradish is not hot? Even tho the root is unbearable to shred? (I do it outdoors with a fan)
So disappointing to go thru all that, and then its not hot to eat.

hawgrider
07-30-2016, 06:05 PM
My garlic is finally dry. Grind and mix tomorrow.

hawgrider
07-30-2016, 07:14 PM
Can anyone tell me why my home made horseradish is not hot? Even tho the root is unbearable to shred? (I do it outdoors with a fan)
So disappointing to go thru all that, and then its not hot to eat.Not hot maybe it's the type of horse radish? A mild strain?

hawgrider
07-31-2016, 09:57 AM
Ground it this morning.

On the left is garlic, kosher salt and parsley.

On the right is smoked himalayan salt, garlic, ground black pepper and parsley.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/Mobile%20Uploads/20160731_102701_zpsae3okpco.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160731_102701_zpsae3okpco.jpg.html)

First taste test was the garlic and kosher salt on fried eggs from my backyard. Taste is strangly familiar to Lawerys but without the added junk like cottonseed oil and the other crap they put in. The fresh ground garlic stands out. Good flavor and worth the effort.

Broncosfan
07-31-2016, 10:49 AM
Ground it this morning.

On the left is garlic, kosher salt and parsley.

On the right is smoked himalayan salt, garlic, ground black pepper and parsley.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/Mobile%20Uploads/20160731_102701_zpsae3okpco.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160731_102701_zpsae3okpco.jpg.html)

First taste test was the garlic and kosher salt on fried eggs from my backyard. Taste is strangly familiar to Lawerys but without the added junk like cottonseed oil and the other crap they put in. The fresh ground garlic stands out. Good flavor and worth the effort.

Looks very very good! Like I said before your creations are endless! Good job! I will try some others later as I have time. Might make jalapeno dill pickles today. I'm cheating though I'm using a bought mix. One day I will make or find a recipe to make from fresh ingredients.

RubberDuck
07-31-2016, 11:01 AM
great on my list

hawgrider
07-31-2016, 11:05 AM
Looks very very good! Like I said before your creations are endless! Good job! I will try some others later as I have time. Might make jalapeno dill pickles today. I'm cheating though I'm using a bought mix. One day I will make or find a recipe to make from fresh ingredients.I'll try the smoked on the dinner meal tonight.

Pickles.. yum Its been a couple years since ive made some using grandma's no processing "alum" dill pickles.
I also make some killer dilled hot mix from the same no process brine that grandma made. Seems the recipe should be here somewhere? I'll look for it.

Edited the dill recipe wasnt posted yet so I'll put it up now look for it in the recipes

Broncosfan
07-31-2016, 02:57 PM
I'll try the smoked on the dinner meal tonight.

Pickles.. yum Its been a couple years since ive made some using grandma's no processing "alum" dill pickles.
I also make some killer dilled hot mix from the same no process brine that grandma made. Seems the recipe should be here somewhere? I'll look for it.

Edited the dill recipe wasnt posted yet so I'll put it up now look for it in the recipes

Thanks I will check it out. Just got the pickles in the water bath. 18 pints

hawgrider
07-31-2016, 05:48 PM
Had the smoked himalayan salt, garlic and black pepper corn on some venison tenderloin. It was good but I think next I will actually smoke and slightly roast the garlic next time.

inceptor
07-31-2016, 11:15 PM
Are you grinding your salt to put into regular salt shakers? If so, how are you doing it?

hawgrider
08-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Are you grinding your salt to put into regular salt shakers? If so, how are you doing it?

Small electric coffee bean grinder dedicated to grinding spices. It works real well. The longer you grind the finer it gets.

like this-

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04/00/94/80/0004009480350_500X500.jpg

inceptor
08-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Now I would have never thought of that. Thanks :getdown:

hawgrider
03-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Making a batch of Broncosfans garlic salt. I have the last of last years harvest peeled and chopped in the dehydrator.
Plan on mixing 1 cup garlic powder to 3 cups kosher salt. And add lots of my dehydrated parsley.

https://i.imgur.com/glFr3u9.jpg

LivoniaDan
03-09-2020, 09:49 AM
So disappointing to go thru all that, and then its not hot to eat.

Didn't know personally... So I got this from the 'net:
I do know that in the past someone told me to wait a while before adding the vinegar..... but that is a distant memory.

1) Did you wait a few minutes after grating? There's an enzyme that reacts with oxygen IIRC, and it should get hotter after a few minutes of rest.

2) You have to get some cell crushing going on to release the chemical that makes the hot flavor, so microplaning may not have done enough cell damage, depending on how sharp your tool was. Also, acid stops the development of the heat. Root veg lasts a very long time, so I recommend going with a box grater to create a pile of root, letting it sit a few minutes, then mixing it into your preferred sauce vehicle when the flavor is developed.

3) The microplane likely isn't doing enough damage to the cells to release the isothiocyanates. A food processor would be the way to go.

Baglady
03-13-2020, 10:21 AM
Didn't know personally... So I got this from the 'net:
I do know that in the past someone told me to wait a while before adding the vinegar..... but that is a distant memory.

That's good to know. I did use a food grater, but then went right to the mixture process. Thanks!

hawgrider
03-13-2020, 10:38 AM
Making a batch of Broncosfans garlic salt. I have the last of last years harvest peeled and chopped in the dehydrator.
Plan on mixing 1 cup garlic powder to 3 cups kosher salt. And add lots of my dehydrated parsley.

https://i.imgur.com/glFr3u9.jpg

Mine is dried now but I have to grind it. yet. maybe this weekend?

hawgrider
03-15-2020, 12:16 PM
I finished up the garlic salt. I ended up with 1gt jar of garlic powder after I ground the dehydrated garlic.

Did Broncosfans ratio of 1 to 3 added parsley and had 2 gts yield plus some left over straight garlic powder. Nice haul over all from last year garden.

https://i.imgur.com/IwwPkMa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mgXaP2P.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M3P9VIL.jpg

RubberDuck
03-16-2020, 02:46 AM
I am hoping we see some garlic at camp this year if not maybe pic a new spot to seed.