PDA

View Full Version : Merged Idaho Thread

DerBiermeister
08-06-2016, 08:59 AM
http://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/full-width/images/print-edition/20160806_USP004_0.jpg

ASKED by an out-of-stater where the nearest shooting range is, Patrick Leavitt, an affable gunsmith at Riverman Gun Works in Coeur d’Alene, says: “This is Idaho—you can shoot pretty much anywhere away from buildings.” That is one reason why the sparsely populated state is attracting a growing number of “political refugees” keen to slip free from bureaucrats in America’s liberal states, says James Wesley, Rawles (yes, with a comma), an author of bestselling survivalist novels. In a widely read manifesto posted in 2011 on his survivalblog.com, Mr Rawles, a former army intelligence officer, urged libertarian-leaning Christians and Jews to move to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and a strip of eastern Oregon and Washington states, a haven he called the “American Redoubt”.

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21703411-movement-staunch-conservatives-and-doomsday-watchers-inland-north-west

It's funny, but just yesterday I did an online search to try to find all of the gun ranges in the Richmond vicinity. There really ain't much to choose from. I like my range, except there is this one terribly angled hill that I have to go down and then back up. Wouldn't be quite so bad, except the asphalt is very bumpy and I damn near twist my ankle every time I go there.

I can't imagine what it would be like to walk out my back door and shoot.
If it weren't for the Chesapeake Bay and my sailing, I would actually consider moving there. I know the winters are tough, but I don't mind tough winters -- you can always dress for it. What I literally hate is the hot, humid summers and up in that region, the summers are fantastic. Yeah it gets hot, but the humidity stays low and the nighttime temps get down to 60.

Arklatex
08-06-2016, 09:22 AM
I've heard about a similar movement involving parts of Washington and idaho. They want to secede and former the Republic of Cascadia.

And there are lots of places you can shoot in your backyard. You just have to get out of the city. I shoot in my backyard now and then. There's a guy down the road that has a pistol range setup in his backyard. As for moving to Idaho, hell no. I would never move that far north. This Texan doesn't like the snow.

Inor
08-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Here is a pretty good write-up on James Wesley Rawles in the Economist.

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21703411-movement-staunch-conservatives-and-doomsday-watchers-inland-north-west

That will certainly draw a lot more people to Idaho, so I am glad we are going a little more south.

dsdmmat
08-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Pretty good article. I cannot convince the wife to move out west, so I will have to go out on my own when the time comes. Eventually she will tire of the winters and join me, at least that is what I tell her.

Gambit
08-06-2016, 04:32 PM
wow I was wrong all this time
there more sane people then i thought
good thing I already set roots up in KY

:edit: sorry I'm like way off today

Arklatex
08-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Here is a pretty good write-up on James Wesley Rawles in the Economist.

That will certainly draw a lot more people to Idaho, so I am glad we are going a little more south.
You got scooped by DerBiermeister

http://www.theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?t=5637

Inor
08-06-2016, 04:51 PM
You got scooped by DerBiermeister

http://www.theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?t=5637

Go ahead and merge the threads Mr Moderator! :biglaugh: (I would but I don't know how.)

Sparkyprep
08-06-2016, 09:29 PM
I would love to move out there, and live the good life. There is just one problem, It's too damn cold!

DerBiermeister
08-06-2016, 09:56 PM
I would love to move out there, and live the good life. There is just one problem, It's too damn cold!

That's what Patagonia longjohns are for!

inceptor
08-06-2016, 10:03 PM
I'm ok with Texas :bigthumbup:

Inor
08-06-2016, 10:51 PM

Actually, Idaho is not that bad. I have a business associate that lives there and their winters are MUCH milder than the winters in Minnesota even though they are a bit north of where I am now. They get some snow, but they do not get the brutal sub-zero temps. Also the air is very dry, so even temps in the single digits are plenty comfortable.

(But take that with a grain of sand because in a week and a day I am moving to fire-land.)

OSFG
08-06-2016, 11:11 PM
wow I was wrong all this time
there more sane people then i thought
good thing I already set roots up in KY

:edit: sorry I'm like way off today

Ahhh good old Common Wealth of Kentucky...Virginia's child....Other than the good old boy cops who know that they might get shot if they come around, and the sparseness of the knobs of middle to Eastern Kentucky...Where your range is at your back door with a hill for a backstop...oh and $1500 an acre knob land available...

I loves me some Kentucky if you can keep the common wealth away...

So says a son of Junction City...just a short jaunt from the Daniel Boone trail in Harrodsburg...and the town next to the States first Capital..Danville...

Sasquatch
08-07-2016, 12:50 AM
I already have a small town in AZ I'd like to move to. Only problem is jobs are slim. Guess I'll have to keep that one on the back burner until I get a little closer to retirement.

Sent from Tapatalk (aka Uranus, not to be confused with the Anus' at Survivalist Board)

Gambit
08-07-2016, 07:43 AM
Ahhh good old Common Wealth of Kentucky...Virginia's child....Other than the good old boy cops who know that they might get shot if they come around, and the sparseness of the knobs of middle to Eastern Kentucky...Where your range is at your back door with a hill for a backstop...oh and $1500 an acre knob land available...

I loves me some Kentucky if you can keep the common wealth away...

So says a son of Junction City...just a short jaunt from the Daniel Boone trail in Harrodsburg...and the town next to the States first Capital..Danville...
you my friend is a stalker :)

i loving it here more and more and it dose have a few whitetrash spots but not near me, I'm in junction and i say about 3 minute drive to the range :ak47: