PDA

View Full Version : Field dressing a squirrel.

BugMan
04-02-2014, 10:47 PM
I'm gonna eat some squirrel soon. Any good recipes?

http://touch.artofmanliness.com/all/2012-01-16-how-to-field-dress-a-squirrel#1

Peacekeeper
04-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Cut in little pieces with gravy on a biscuit is how I use to eat them in Louisiana.

1moretoy
04-03-2014, 04:12 PM
I just can't bring myself to eat a big rat in a fur coat.

RWalls
04-30-2014, 08:44 PM
I just can't bring myself to eat a big rat in a fur coat.

HAHA, yeah pretty much, different diets, which make a squirrel a little more appealing. :censored:

Infidel
06-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Soak in buttermilk (I season mine with some garlic and onion powder and some adobo) overnight then dredge in seasoned flour and fry them like chicken wings. The seasoned flour is the key as far as I'm concerned. I've never been a big fan of squirrel, just can't get past the whole tree rat thing but I can eat them fried like that.

-Infidel

Imaexpat2
06-02-2014, 11:52 AM
My favorite is to just roast them on a grill in the oven with a pan below to catch the drippings so I can make some gravy to go with the bisquits and the mashed potatoes...now that there is a feed bag!

Deebo
06-02-2014, 08:18 PM
man you guys are making me hungry.
I have had squirrel many ways, my favorite way was also to marinade overnight, then seasoned flour and deep fried. I then make a gravy and put it all in a crockpot. Was amazingly great.

BugMan
06-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Anyone who's up to making it, I'm willing to try it.

Eagle1803
06-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Marinate that Rat in a good sauce, take the meat off the bone and add the squirrel brain to the meat. Simmer for two hrs in salt water and serve over noddles with your favorate gravy....:hungry:

RubberDuck
11-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Sorry to dig out such a old post but I love me some tree rat.
On bug out trip we fried with bacon grease and fresh picked wild leeks which are onions basically they caramelized nicely good combination with the squirrel. Pressure cooker is another great way to try but content with shoving it on a stick an hold over the fire too.

OSFG
11-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Soak in buttermilk (I season mine with some garlic and onion powder and some adobo) overnight then dredge in seasoned flour and fry them like chicken wings. The seasoned flour is the key as far as I'm concerned. I've never been a big fan of squirrel, just can't get past the whole tree rat thing but I can eat them fried like that.

-Infidel

I recommend same as Infidel...but cook it on an oak board over a fire...after it gets good and crispy....throw the squirrel away and eat the board.

Just joking... add hot sauce until you think your ass might actually catch fire later and eat that damn rodent...its all calories...even the board.

and don't worry about rabbis...it'll just make you almost as cantankerous as I am.

OSFG

hawgrider
11-30-2015, 04:52 PM
I recommend same as Infidel...but cook it on an oak board over a fire...after it gets good and crispy....throw the squirrel away and eat the board.

Just joking... add hot sauce until you think your ass might actually catch fire later and eat that damn rodent...its all calories...even the board.

and don't worry about rabbis...it'll just make you almost as cantankerous as I am.

OSFG
Lmao your on a roll tonight!:biglaugh:

Slippy
11-30-2015, 06:52 PM

I'll pop me a squirrel once a year or so just for fun. This little fella was marinated in Worcestershire Sauce, onions, pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder and grilled to perfection. 'Bout time for another...

RubberDuck
11-30-2015, 06:59 PM
That looks really tasty !