PDA

View Full Version : Salsa Time! Anyone else?

Broncosfan
08-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Well you know fall is just right around the corner when the salsa is cooking. Turned 32 lbs of tomatoes into 16 pints of salsa. I cook it down. We like it thicker than most plus it makes a richer flavor. Not real hot but it gets your attention. Won't know for sure until it sits for a few weeks. Looks like I will have enough tomatoes to make several batches. This one was supposed to be for the wife but it turned out a little hotter than she likes. Its probably the lack of rain making the peppers hotter this year as I didn't as a much as my recipe calls for. 2584

hawgrider
08-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Looks fantastic! You had a great garden this year. Mine sucked drought all summer here. I have a nice harvest of weeds.

Broncosfan
08-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Looks fantastic! You had a great garden this year. Mine sucked drought all summer here. I have a nice harvest of weeds.

I am growing some weeds as well. This year I decided to leave my rows far enough apart that I could get the tractor and tiller in there. I also put down some plastic mulch and some landscaping fabric underneath my plants. Then I covered it with grass clippings. I do have some weeds and I use my wheeled trimmers in some places instead of pulling. Watering has been the problem but tomatoes thrive in the heat. I probably have another 50 lbs ripe in the next week or so maybe more. Canning gets me behind keeping it up. Also I tried a new cucumber and man are they growing cukes. I have feed the chickens at least 10 lbs. Have have more in the refrig to give them. Can't eat them fast enough.

hawgrider
08-13-2016, 12:39 PM
I am growing some weeds as well. This year I decided to leave my rows far enough apart that I could get the tractor and tiller in there. I also put down some plastic mulch and some landscaping fabric underneath my plants. Then I covered it with grass clippings. I do have some weeds and I use my wheeled trimmers in some places instead of pulling. Watering has been the problem but tomatoes thrive in the heat. I probably have another 50 lbs ripe in the next week or so maybe more. Canning gets me behind keeping it up. Also I tried a new cucumber and man are they growing cukes. I have feed the chickens at least 10 lbs. Have have more in the refrig to give them. Can't eat them fast enough.Sounds like you need a couple of big canning partys.