PDA

View Full Version : Never Chance Canning These Items and Why

hawgrider
08-15-2016, 06:19 AM
When we are canning our food for later use we need to be careful which foods we are canning. Learn which food you should never can and why you shouldn’t. Should I can this food or not? This is a well-debated topic.
http://thehomesteadsurvival.com/never-chance-canning-items/

WHY Can’t I *Can* that? http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2012/11/why-cant-i-can-that.html

Arklatex
08-15-2016, 01:33 PM
Good article, I didn't know that you had to use pint jars for chili. But I'd bet it says that in my canning book.

Broncosfan
08-15-2016, 01:43 PM
I didn't know that as well for chili. I have done it several times in quarts with no problem. It only takes one time to really mess your day up though. I use a lot of tomatoes so the acid probably kept it from being a real problem.

Thanks for the link Hawgrider always like info on canning

darsk20
08-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Good article. Thanks.

I really need to get on the canning band wagon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hawgrider
08-15-2016, 02:53 PM
I didn't know that as well for chili. I have done it several times in quarts with no problem. It only takes one time to really mess your day up though. I use a lot of tomatoes so the acid probably kept it from being a real problem.

Thanks for the link Hawgrider always like info on canning
Don't forget tomatoes today dont have the acid content they had in the old days so if canning even just tomatoes its wise to add lemon juice. The ball blue book(food nazis) will give you the most current safe pratices. Also your county extension service would be a good resource as well.

There are some here that still follow the ways there grandma did it. I follow some of my grandmas ways too but just dont leave common sense out of the process. The food chain since grandmas days has changed drastically.

Broncosfan
08-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Don't forget tomatoes today dont have the acid content they had in the old days so if canning even just tomatoes its wise to add lemon juice. The ball blue book(food nazis) will give you the most current safe pratices. Also your county extension service would be a good resource as well.

There are some here that still follow the ways there grandma did it. I follow some of my grandmas ways too but just dont leave common sense out of the process. The food chain since grandmas days has changed drastically.

I use citric acid. For me its easier to use than lemon juice. Both work in the same way. I have several good canning books that I refer to regularly.

hawgrider
08-15-2016, 03:07 PM
I use citric acid. For me its easier to use than lemon juice. Both work in the same way. I have several good canning books that I refer to regularly.
Citric acid? Availible in the store? Ive never used it. We just use concentrated lemon juice in the big bottle.

Dwight55
08-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Personally, I would add potatoes to the list as well.

A whole big bunch of people were badly sickened over in Lancaster, Ohio, . . . I think 2 years ago.

Lady took her home canned potatoes, . . . cut em up, . . . made potato salad, . . . one person died if I remember correctly.

TV tube personalities then were saying don't can taters, . . . and I could never see a good reason to do it, . . . they keep better other ways.

May God bless,
Dwight

Arklatex
08-15-2016, 03:40 PM
Citric acid? Availible in the store? Ive never used it. We just use concentrated lemon juice in the big bottle.
I've used it too, you can get it in the canning section at walmart. I use it to keep apples and bananas from turning too brown in the dehydrator.

hawgrider
08-15-2016, 03:58 PM
I've used it too, you can get it in the canning section at walmart. I use it to keep apples and bananas from turning too brown in the dehydrator.Ill have to check it out. I use lemon juice on my apples and bananas for dehydration too. Is it cheaper than concentrated lemon juice?

Arklatex
08-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Ill have to check it out. I use lemon juice on my apples and bananas for dehydration too. Is it cheaper than concentrated lemon juice?
Not sure. It comes in a powder form that you mix with water, so it goes a long ways.

Broncosfan
08-15-2016, 04:01 PM

A whole big bunch of people were badly sickened over in Lancaster, Ohio, . . . I think 2 years ago.

Lady took her home canned potatoes, . . . cut em up, . . . made potato salad, . . . one person died if I remember correctly.

TV tube personalities then were saying don't can taters, . . . and I could never see a good reason to do it, . . . they keep better other ways.

May God bless,
Dwight

We never heard more about what actually how things were prepared. Potato salad will spoil very easy outside in the heat even without using home canned potatoes. The media jumped on the home canned idea. I never heard if it was proved for sure except for that it was the potato salad. Could have been an old time recipe where someone used water bath instead of pressure canning.

Inor
08-15-2016, 04:38 PM

May God bless,
Dwight

Mrs Inor has canned potatoes. She cut 'em into cubes and pressure canned them. We only fried them when we ate them. But they were even better than fresh. They were more "potatoey" and fried up real crisp.

Dwight55
08-15-2016, 09:12 PM
Mrs Inor has canned potatoes. She cut 'em into cubes and pressure canned them. We only fried them when we ate them. But they were even better than fresh. They were more "potatoey" and fried up real crisp.

I've always had this problem, . . . I like to eat from the can, . . . maybe something to do with C rats 50 years ago, . . . who knows???

Anyway, . . . I can just see me opening up the jar and munching the top two taters, . . . and regretting it for the next 5 days. Had enough of THAT STUFF on the other side of the pond to do me a lifetime.

May God bless,
Dwight

Inor
08-15-2016, 09:18 PM
I've always had this problem, . . . I like to eat from the can, . . . maybe something to do with C rats 50 years ago, . . . who knows???

Anyway, . . . I can just see me opening up the jar and munching the top two taters, . . . and regretting it for the next 5 days. Had enough of THAT STUFF on the other side of the pond to do me a lifetime.

May God bless,
Dwight

HAHAHA!!! Okay. I'm sorry. That is just too rich! I cannot help myself. I'm laughing WITH you, not AT you. What? You're not laughing? Well I am laughing enough for the both of us! Never eat from the top of the jar!

Thanks, my friend.