PDA

View Full Version : New Truck Review

Sparkyprep
08-17-2016, 06:39 PM
As requested, here is an initial review of my recently purchased Chevy Colorado Z71 4X4.

I have put close to 3000 miles on it in the last few months, and overall, I couldn't be happier. I have 305 hp under the hood, and can still get 28 mpg on the open highway at moderate speeds. Obviously, this number drops dramatically if I "get on it". (Not that I would ever do such a thing.)

The 4X4 works flawlessly, and I have already had to use it a few times around the farm. I am a little disappointed in the factory ride height, and the factory "all-terrain tires", but once I wear these tires out, I will be fixing that. I see a 6 inch suspension lift, and a set of BF Goodrich AT K2's in my future.

The interior and comfort of the truck is outstanding, and makes my coworker's new Tacoma look shabby by comparison. Stereo, navigation, Bluetooth, traffic alert, XM satellite radio, heated leather seats are all awsome.

I have added a LineX Bedliner spray, and weatherTech floor mats so far.

I tow a small cow trailer, a boat, and a camper with it, and it pulled great. Towing package was a must for me.

All in all, if you don't really need a giant truck to do what you need to do, this is an excellent option. It is comfortable, easy to drive and park, great on gas, and can still do everything that I need my truck to do. I can haul tools for work, hay for animals, and just about anything the Mrs. wants from Home Depot and Tractor Supply. It will tow 7000 lbs. with no problem. And, I can do all this at roughly $14,000 less than a comparably equipped full size truck. I love it.

P.s., Slippy- yes, it is quite a bit bigger than the old Colorados, and a lot bigger than the old S10s, but still smaller than the Silverados.

S.....P......
08-17-2016, 06:55 PM
With the lift and tires you can say goodbye to the 28mpg. Nice looking ride though. I still kick myself for getting rid of my 2005 Z.

Sparkyprep
08-17-2016, 07:37 PM
With the lift and tires you can say goodbye to the 28mpg. Nice looking ride though. I still kick myself for getting rid of my 2005 Z.

Roger that. I figure that even if I drop down to 20 or 22mpg, I'm still doing better than the 16mpg that my Taho gets.

Slippy
08-17-2016, 07:41 PM
Thanks Sparky, I really like the Canyon/Colorado line even though I've always been a full size truck owner. At 6'4" I just like the extended leg room but I'm about to get a new truck, my 2010 F150 4x4 is just getting too worn out for long range travel. But I damn sure don't want to pay $50k for a new Silverado or Sierra.

I just put a new set of BFGoodrich Mud Terrain's on our JK Wrangler Rubicon. The ones that came with it from the factory got us around 42k miles. But make sure your rotate them every 3-k miles or so.

Slippy
08-17-2016, 07:44 PM
By the way, NASCAR Truck Race at Bristol tonight. About to start it on the DVR in a few!

I love the short track racing!!!

A Watchman
08-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Thanks Sparky, I really like the Canyon/Colorado line even though I've always been a full size truck owner. At 6'4" I just like the extended leg room but I'm about to get a new truck, my 2010 F150 4x4 is just getting too worn out for long range travel. But I damn sure don't want to pay $50k for a new Silverado or Sierra.

I just put a new set of BFGoodrich Mud Terrain's on our JK Wrangler Rubicon. The ones that came with it from the factory got us around 42k miles. But make sure your rotate them every 3-k miles or so.

Slip, I as well own a 2010 F-150 crew cab 4 wheel drive with 61,000 miles. Curious, if you are running the 5.4 engine also. Mine is a beast when it comes to power, but likes the fuel pump with 15-16 mpg.

Inor
08-17-2016, 08:06 PM
Slip, I as well own a 2010 F-150 crew cab 4 wheel drive with 61,000 miles. Curious, if you are running the 5.4 engine also. Mine is a beast when it comes to power, but likes the fuel pump with 15-16 mpg.

Damn, they improved the mileage on them between 2008 and 2010. I have a 2008 F-150 (with 52,000 miles) with the 5.4 Triton engine. It is a beast, but I am lucky if I can 12-14 MPG and that is taking it easy. Other than that, I love it.

Edit: I am only 5-10 but when I am in my truck, Slip and me are the same size! :biglaugh:

A Watchman
08-17-2016, 08:20 PM
Damn, they improved the mileage on them between 2008 and 2010. I have a 2008 F-150 (with 52,000 miles) with the 5.4 Triton engine. It is a beast, but I am lucky if I can 12-14 MPG and that is taking it easy. Other than that, I love it.

Edit: I am only 5-10 but when I am in my truck, Slip and me are the same size! :biglaugh:

We might need to re measure Slip since he got his haircut and went bald. He mighta "slipped" a few inches.

TJC44
08-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Sparky - what did you end up shelling out for it?
Purdy truck. I may be in the market for one soon.

Baglady
08-17-2016, 11:06 PM

6'4"?? Not what I had in my head. I figured you to be a smaller guy. funny that.

Inor
08-17-2016, 11:45 PM
6'4"?? Not what I had in my head. I figured you to be a smaller guy. funny that.

I met Slippy, in person, back when he had hair. He is HUGE. He was polite enough to spend most of the evening seated at his bar stool so we were roughly the same height. But damn!

Without hair, I expect he might not seem quite as large but he will more than make up for it in the "mean look"! I am still debating the next time I am in his town about whether I show up for the supper I will inevitably invite him and Mrs Slippy to because I am afraid I will soil myself and be embarrassed in front of Mrs Slippy. :biglaugh:

Slippy
08-18-2016, 08:06 AM

I met Slippy, in person, back when he had hair. He is HUGE. He was polite enough to spend most of the evening seated at his bar stool so we were roughly the same height. But damn!

Without hair, I expect he might not seem quite as large but he will more than make up for it in the "mean look"! I am still debating the next time I am in his town about whether I show up for the supper I will inevitably invite him and Mrs Slippy to because I am afraid I will soil myself and be embarrassed in front of Mrs Slippy. :biglaugh:

Yes Ma'am BagLady, old Slip is a full 6'4" and weighs in at a svelt and athletic 242 lbs. What my good friend Inor left out was how damn SEXY I am...but that would have been gay and Inor is most certainly NOT gay.

He can however suck down lots of beer! He's one of those guys who can drink beer all day and not seem to get drunk...

Regardless, I'm pretty sure Inor and I would have held our own at the bar that we were patronizing. (For two old guys!)

We did have my Son#2 with us and CAM19 goes 6"2" and 185. The funny thing with him is that while he's been in multiple fights in his life, ALL of them have been while he was wearing skates and holding on to the other guy with one hand and punching with the other. I don't think my Son#2 knows how to fight without being in a hockey game! HA!

Sparkyprep
08-18-2016, 05:13 PM
Sparky - what did you end up shelling out for it?
Purdy truck. I may be in the market for one soon.

$34,000. I got some discounts through work, and because I paid cash.

Baglady
08-19-2016, 10:24 AM

Next time you see him, just be thinking "Wax on, Wax off"...then you'll be laughing and he'll wonder why..

Baglady
08-19-2016, 10:27 AM
Yes Ma'am BagLady, old Slip is a full 6'4" and weighs in at a svelt and athletic 242 lbs. What my good friend Inor left out was how damn SEXY I am...but that would have been gay and Inor is most certainly NOT gay.

He can however suck down lots of beer! He's one of those guys who can drink beer all day and not seem to get drunk...

Regardless, I'm pretty sure Inor and I would have held our own at the bar that we were patronizing. (For two old guys!)

We did have my Son#2 with us and CAM19 goes 6"2" and 185. The funny thing with him is that while he's been in multiple fights in his life, ALL of them have been while he was wearing skates and holding on to the other guy with one hand and punching with the other. I don't think my Son#2 knows how to fight without being in a hockey game! HA!

Skills. Takes mega skills to hit a moving target!! :headbang:

Sparkyprep
06-26-2017, 04:48 PM
I dug up this old post tonight to let everyone know that I am finally upgrading the afore mentioned Chevy Colorado. It has an appointment at the shop on July 5th, and should take about 2 days to complete. 6" lift with coil-over, remote-reservoir shocks, fender flairs, new wheels, and 33" tires. I'm excited. Anyway, I'll post pics when it is done.

hawgrider
06-26-2017, 05:23 PM
I dug up this old post tonight to let everyone know that I am finally upgrading the afore mentioned Chevy Colorado. It has an appointment at the shop on July 5th, and should take about 2 days to complete. 6" lift with coil-over, remote-reservoir shocks, fender flairs, new wheels, and 33" tires. I'm excited. Anyway, I'll post pics when it is done.

Sweet lets go mud boggin!

Slippy
06-26-2017, 07:41 PM
:thewave:

Inor
06-27-2017, 12:59 AM

'Atta Boy Sparky! Nicely Done!

But it is still a Bow-Tie... :biglaugh: (You did not think I could resist did you?)

Unclefred
06-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Roger that. I figure that even if I drop down to 20 or 22mpg, I'm still doing better than the 16mpg that my Taho gets.

That's much better than the 10mpg my Lariat XLT gets. :ughh:

Sparkyprep
08-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Ok folks. It is a little late, (I've been busy) but here are are the pics of the modified Colorado. I loved this truck before, but I love it even more now. Runs great in the mud, suspension soaks up the bumps, and it even still drives good on the road. I gained about 7" of ground clearance, but lost about 8mpg. Oh well, I knew that would happen.371437153716

This truck turns heads, and it kicks ass when it matters the most.

hawgrider
08-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Bad ass lookin truck Sparky!!!!!

Slippy
08-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Great job Sparky!

That truck looks real good.

Ok folks. It is a little late, (I've been busy) but here are are the pics of the modified Colorado. I loved this truck before, but I love it even more now. Runs great in the mud, suspension soaks up the bumps, and it even still drives good on the road. I gained about 7" of ground clearance, but lost about 8mpg. Oh well, I knew that would happen.371437153716

RubberDuck
08-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Have you looked into the cold air intakes and performance chips?
I was impressed with the data on the gains.
It's on my list for the next truck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sparkyprep
08-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Have you looked into the cold air intakes and performance chips?
I was impressed with the data on the gains.
It's on my list for the next truck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Maybe next year, I will add a Magnaflow exhaust, cold air intake, and Trifecta SuperTune. Should gain me about 20 hp. I need to put some money back in my savings first. LOL. Mrs. Sparky wants to go to Key West in November, I had to buy a new TV, etc. I've been spending a lot of money this month, I need to put some back.

Slippy
02-16-2022, 05:03 PM
Sparky

What mods did you do besides the lift/suspension and tires? Bumpers/Winch, Roof Rack, Engine/Exhaust? Any all reviews that you've gained learned from your Mud-bogging' & Off Roadin' experience will be appreciated

Curious as I sold our Jeep JK Rubicon and thinking about starting an Overland style 4x4 build on a new truck.

Thanks!

Slip

Sparkyprep
02-17-2022, 03:47 PM
Sparky

What mods did you do besides the lift/suspension and tires? Bumpers/Winch, Roof Rack, Engine/Exhaust? Any all reviews that you've gained learned from your Mud-bogging' & Off Roadin' experience will be appreciated

Curious as I sold our Jeep JK Rubicon and thinking about starting an Overland style 4x4 build on a new truck.

Thanks!

Slip

6" suspension lift from BDS. Bull bar on front by "Go Rhino" with a 20" LED lightbar made by Rigid. Rear bumper is the "honeybadger" by Addictive Desert Designs with Ridid LED light cubes. I did put on the magnaflow exhaust, but skipped the tune. By itself, it didnt really give me any horsepower gains. Suspension, wheels, and tires are the most important mods for an overland truck, since most modern vehicles make plenty of horsepower for this. (in overlanding, MPG is actually more important than horsepower) But, you need grip (tires) and a suspension that can both give you the ground clearance AND support the extra weight of all the gear you will have loaded up.

MountainGirl
02-18-2022, 05:36 AM
6" suspension lift from BDS. Bull bar on front by "Go Rhino" with a 20" LED lightbar made by Rigid. Rear bumper is the "honeybadger" by Addictive Desert Designs with Ridid LED light cubes. I did put on the magnaflow exhaust, but skipped the tune. By itself, it didnt really give me any horsepower gains. Suspension, wheels, and tires are the most important mods for an overland truck, since most modern vehicles make plenty of horsepower for this. (in overlanding, MPG is actually more important than horsepower) But, you need grip (tires) and a suspension that can both give you the ground clearance AND support the extra weight of all the gear you will have loaded up.

Pics or it didn't happen. :)

bigwheel
02-20-2022, 04:07 PM
Dont go to any big trouble on the pics. We can pretty well envision it in our mind's eye and hear the loud pipes subconsciously. Thanks. lol.

Sparkyprep
02-20-2022, 04:50 PM
I had pics up, but it was so long ago that I had to remove them to make room in my cache

BucketBack
02-20-2022, 06:22 PM
I had to do that, I never backed up my photos, so I lost them.:behindsofa:

bigwheel
02-24-2022, 10:58 AM
Sounds like some pics I accidentally erased. I had a good one of Slippy with his cute Sheep friend. lol. She looked good in the Pearl necklace

red442joe
02-25-2022, 10:59 AM
Sounds like some pics I accidentally erased. I had a good one of Slippy with his cute Sheep friend. lol. She looked good in the Pearl necklace

Eww!

Joe

red442joe
02-25-2022, 11:00 AM
Hahaha, here it comes in 3,

Joe

MountainGirl
02-25-2022, 12:16 PM
Dontcha mean ewe ? :bounce:

bigwheel
02-26-2022, 05:01 PM
Nope didnt really mean that. The caper to which I refer only involved one person..and a cute sheep. lol.