PDA

View Full Version : 3 Toxic Wild Berries You Should Never Eat

hawgrider
08-22-2016, 05:33 AM
It’s been said that hunger is a great persuader. So what happens when you are stranded somewhere without food—and hunger inspires you to eat unknown wild plants? It’s happened before, and it’s always a possibility in desperate times. Here are three attractive berries that could actually be dangerous if eaten.

1. Horse nettle
The greenish or yellow colored,

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/3-toxic-wild-berries-you-should-never-eat

BucketBack
08-22-2016, 11:28 AM
No pokeberries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz4DvG4bQ2o

Kfilly
09-28-2016, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the link. I always love learning and receiving reminders about this sort of stuff.

TJC44
10-01-2016, 10:02 PM
I was looking at some berries that grew up near my garden, thinking I might put them to good use. Now that I know for CERTAIN that these are pokeberries, they are going to be uprooted and burned.

spork
10-02-2016, 08:53 AM
Very timely because I saw what I thought was a pokeberry plant the other day and I wasn't sure about it. Now I can confirm...don't eat!

Arklatex
10-15-2016, 06:53 PM
Pokeberries are an old school dye. You can also make ink with them. Smash them up and add salt and vinegar to the juice as a fixative. Just learned this the other day.

How to video by Dave Canterbury:

https://youtu.be/C-BffeuK_yI

Jerry D Young
10-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Do not eat the berries, but poke salad is great. Ate a lot of it as I was growing up. I consider poke a good addition to a guerilla garden. I would not grow it in an area where younger children might eat the berries, however.

Just my opinion.

Baglady
10-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Do not eat the berries, but poke salad is great. Ate a lot of it as I was growing up. I consider poke a good addition to a guerilla garden. I would not grow it in an area where younger children might eat the berries, however.

Just my opinion.

I haven't had any Poke Salad, but a lot of the old timers here talk about eating it, (the leaves). The leaves have to be washed many times and then a hard boil cooking..?

Jerry D Young
10-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Pick only the very early, small leaves while they are still a small plant. Just wash them well as with any greens grown low to the ground. Can use as fresh salad, cooked greens, and my favorite, wilted with bacon grease.

Just my opinion.

hawgrider
10-17-2016, 04:52 PM
Pick only the very early, small leaves while they are still a small plant. Just wash them well as with any greens grown low to the ground. Can use as fresh salad, cooked greens, and my favorite, wilted with bacon grease.

Just my opinion.The small leaves more tender?

Sasquatch
10-17-2016, 07:16 PM
Good piece of info!

I'd like to add one other toxic berry to the conversation. Whatever you do don't eat dingleberries. Probably won't kill you but I hear they taste like crap.

Jerry D Young
10-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Very much so. More flavor, easier to cook, and less likely to have contaminates.

Just my opinion.

Baglady
10-18-2016, 10:14 PM

Just my opinion.

I didn't know you could eat them raw. Thanks for the info!