PDA

View Full Version : Winter tomatoes

Broncosfan
09-02-2016, 11:53 AM
This is the best way I have found to enjoy tomatoes on my salad that taste like a tomato. We dehydrate "Supersweet 100" cherry type tomatoes then we vacuum seal them in a jelly jar.In previous years we used vacuum but I think this will be better. You can seal them back up anytime. I use this type of storage for all of the spices that I make from garden goodies. A little more cost up front but being able to reseal is a real plus. I think my next trial will be to smoke them them before dehydrating them for a change of flavor.

MrsInor
09-02-2016, 02:06 PM
I have taken some of the dehydrated tomatoes and made a tomato powder using the food processor. Works great for adding tomato paste in recipes, doesn't take up as much space as canned paste.

Baglady
09-03-2016, 10:28 PM
This is the best way I have found to enjoy tomatoes on my salad that taste like a tomato. We dehydrate "Supersweet 100" cherry type tomatoes then we vacuum seal them in a jelly jar.In previous years we used vacuum but I think this will be better. You can seal them back up anytime. I use this type of storage for all of the spices that I make from garden goodies. A little more cost up front but being able to reseal is a real plus. I think my next trial will be to smoke them them before dehydrating them for a change of flavor.

That's creative! I never have tried dehydrating tomatoes. Maybe next year.

Broncosfan
09-03-2016, 10:42 PM
That's creative! I never have tried dehydrating tomatoes. Maybe next year.

Its time consuming but worth it. My daughter won't eat a regular tomato for anything. She will eat these right out of the jar, on her salad and also when we have chicken nachos. I have done 15 jars so far as I planted them later to allow me to get other things put up. I do about 5 lbs every 2-3 days.

Baglady
09-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Its time consuming but worth it. My daughter won't eat a regular tomato for anything. She will eat these right out of the jar, on her salad and also when we have chicken nachos. I have done 15 jars so far as I planted them later to allow me to get other things put up. I do about 5 lbs every 2-3 days.

That's the way I do all my canning. A little at a time. I've done those all day/night canning sessions. Then I got smart about it.
I would have dehydrated some peaches if the bugs and squirrels hadn't gotten them. Can't wait for Hubby to get a buck this season. It's time for jerky! Love how easy it is to use the dehydrator.