PDA

View Full Version : Time to revisit your GHB/BOB

merlinfire
09-09-2016, 01:18 PM
I got my GHB more or less "good to go" a few years back and now its time to revisit. I know my rations will be out of date and some other stuff might need replaced. If you're like me its easy to forget to do this sort of maintenance. Now's a good time to go through your bags with the knowledge you've gained since the last time. Besides things that need replaced, you might realize that you've got something in there you don't need, or are missing something you shouldn't be.

Anyone else got something like this they've been putting off?

juskom95
09-09-2016, 01:37 PM

My emergency bag needs re-evaluated, but I have no BOL, so no BOB.

I need to empty and rebuild my water storage too . . . but I'm trying to avoid that.

Batou
09-09-2016, 01:39 PM
I got my GHB more or less "good to go" a few years back and now its time to revisit. I know my rations will be out of date and some other stuff might need replaced. If you're like me its easy to forget to do this sort of maintenance. Now's a good time to go through your bags with the knowledge you've gained since the last time. Besides things that need replaced, you might realize that you've got something in there you don't need, or are missing something you shouldn't be.

I try to keep mine in good shape.

That said I can't tell you how may times a bic lighter has dried out on me. Something presses the gas and it's gone quick. Always keep a bic in an tin mint box.

hawgrider
09-09-2016, 02:58 PM
I really dont like to depend on Bic lighters. Been a smoker since 1974 and Ive seen all kinds of failures from disposable lighters.

The flints go bad the gas runs out and they dont work worth crap in the winter months until you warm them up. Using a Bic in the wind is not dependable either.

I depend on flint steel.

I don't care for the magnesium starters either. To many cheap knock off that dont work.

Do I have disposable lighter with me? yes I smoke. Do I depend on them when the chips are down? No.

Good thread. I need to go back thru my hello kitty bag its been a while.

BucketBack
09-09-2016, 03:22 PM
The crackheads like scripto lighters. "They" claim the BIC butane ruins the taste of the poison

juskom95
09-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Good thread. I need to go back thru my hello kitty bag its been a while.

Is this you BOB?

http://medias.spotern.com/spots/w640/6169.jpg

Inor
09-09-2016, 04:20 PM
I need to go through ours badly. Right now, they are both setup to allow us to survive -30 degree temps but not 100 degree temps.

The rest of our stuff is due to show up Sunday so after that it will be a good time to go through them.

BucketBack
09-09-2016, 04:29 PM
is this you bob?

http://medias.spotern.com/spots/w640/6169.jpg

meow

DerBiermeister
09-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Excellent thread

I have a very complex set of stuff that I can put in the bag or replace it depending on what I think my bag will actually be used for.
For instance -- I very rarely anymore travel beyond -- call it my safety zone. Into town (some 18 miles away) or over to my yacht club (65 miles away). So I envision my bag as being a GHB. Do I really need things in there like a compass or a signaling mirror (just to name a couple)?

My bag, while quite roomy, is certainly not large enough to be classified as a BOB. But then again, my wife and I are in no condition to make a trek over the Blue Ridge mountains (probably the safest place to head to) on foot, with a 50 lb backpack on either of our shoulders. So, I should plan on how to stock our SUV. But but but -- what if it is an EMP as discussed elsewhere on this forum? So I think we've narrowed our options. 99% of my plan is going to be to make a stand at our home. We'll have provisions for a month or so, but that is about it, unless I really go full out on building a self-sustaining fortress. (If I could just stop buying more guns, maybe I could divert my funds in that direction :smashfreak: )

Slippy
09-09-2016, 05:00 PM
I went through mine a few weeks back prior to our rafting trip. My bag is good to go.

I will also add my snow tire chains and an extra blanket to my truck tool box in a month or so like I've done every year since I got stuck on Interstate 64 in West Virginia in the huge East Coast Blizzard of Dec 2009 while heading to Snowshoe WV. Made it out fine but got stuck twice mainly due to 18 wheelers getting stuck and causing a backup. The second time I got stuck along with 50 or so other vehicles an independent tow truck operator was giving free tows to stuck drivers on the Interstate. I offered him 100 bucks and he shook his head no, then shook my hand and blessed my travel. What a good man!

Thousands of poor slubs spent two nights on the Interstate of WV. 30 inches fell that day.

Haven't had to use the chains but I practice putting them on every fall before I put them in my tool box.

BucketBack
09-09-2016, 05:05 PM
:thumb:Good idea on knowing how to use chains. Michigan where I'm at is in between the snow belts.

TJC44
09-09-2016, 10:15 PM
I set my bag up 2-3 years ago when work was 30 miles from home, and I knew if I was without wheels, it would be at least 2 days to get home. Now, I'm maybe 5 miles from work. So I will need to re-examine the setup.

TJC

merlinfire
09-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Excellent thread

I have a very complex set of stuff that I can put in the bag or replace it depending on what I think my bag will actually be used for.
For instance -- I very rarely anymore travel beyond -- call it my safety zone. Into town (some 18 miles away) or over to my yacht club (65 miles away). So I envision my bag as being a GHB. Do I really need things in there like a compass or a signaling mirror (just to name a couple)?

My bag, while quite roomy, is certainly not large enough to be classified as a BOB. But then again, my wife and I are in no condition to make a trek over the Blue Ridge mountains (probably the safest place to head to) on foot, with a 50 lb backpack on either of our shoulders. So, I should plan on how to stock our SUV. But but but -- what if it is an EMP as discussed elsewhere on this forum? So I think we've narrowed our options. 99% of my plan is going to be to make a stand at our home. We'll have provisions for a month or so, but that is about it, unless I really go full out on building a self-sustaining fortress. (If I could just stop buying more guns, maybe I could divert my funds in that direction :smashfreak: )

For most people, including myself, going "inna woods" when disaster strikes is taking a bad situation and making it worse. There is nothing in the woods that my rural home doesn't provide, or that I can't find with a short day-hike into the woods and back. But that safety zone - I know what you mean. I periodically go down to visit my family in TN and northern MS from southwest OH. For all intents and purposes, if SHTF in a bad way while I'm down in MS, I am probably *not* going home. That really concerns me. But it's a calculated risk - once or twice a year I spend a weekend with the out-of-state family. The odds are, SHTF will happen when I'm back in my home region. I do consider the possibility of SHTF while I'm at work, about 30 miles from home, a very serious possibility though.

RE: guns, as an investment they're solid, but I have tapered my collection in recent years. My reasons are as follows:

1) One or two long guns per person (the second being a spare) and a minimum of 1000 rounds per weapon is probably enough for and conceivable defensive situation that you are likely to survive, plus plenty for hunting and pest control. More for shotguns and 22LR.

2) I have too many pistols. Pistols are specialized weapons that just aren't that useful for hunting or self defense at rifle ranges. Yes I know you can hunt with them, but it requires more skill. The caveat is that a 22 pistol for running traps to finish off trapped animals is probably a decent survival use for a pistol.

3) A family of 4 will need at least 150lbs of food a month to avoid starvation. They will need a tremendous amount of water - really even if you store water you need to have a plan for some renewable source, either rain catching, or a well, or a stream nearby. If you do not live in southern lattitudes you will need heat in the winter or you will die. I honestly think that a lot of people will run out of basic daily necessities and perish long before they ever fire more than 10 shots in anger, and the forests will be hunted out of deer within the first month. Keep that in mind.

I set my bag up 2-3 years ago when work was 30 miles from home, and I knew if I was without wheels, it would be at least 2 days to get home. Now, I'm maybe 5 miles from work. So I will need to re-examine the setup.

TJC

I'm in the situation you used to be. Just out of curiosity, what is your bag setup like for a 30 mile GHB? I'm curious because that's my setup and maybe I left something out.

If I was less than 5 miles home I'd basically just take the bare minimum, like you might on a day-hike. Speed is key I'd think.

Arklatex
09-12-2016, 09:40 AM
My ghb is for 30 miles from work to home. Most of the route is back roads in the woods. There is a huge wildlife management area that I have to cross. I have a basic survival kit and the rest is water, water filter and a pack of lifeboat rations. Extra socks/underwear and a small 1st aid kit including sunscreen and bug juice. I used to have all kindsa whiz bangs and doodads but one day I realized it was just extra weight. I don't intend to smooth it. I'm just gonna haul ass to the house. I am going with the bare essentials and ultralight.

merlinfire
09-12-2016, 12:53 PM
My ghb is for 30 miles from work to home. Most of the route is back roads in the woods. There is a huge wildlife management area that I have to cross. I have a basic survival kit and the rest is water, water filter and a pack of lifeboat rations. Extra socks/underwear and a small 1st aid kit including sunscreen and bug juice. I used to have all kindsa whiz bangs and doodads but one day I realized it was just extra weight. I don't intend to smooth it. I'm just gonna haul ass to the house. I am going with the bare essentials and ultralight.

sounds like we had the exact same setup, down to the lifeboat rations even. i had the socks but not the underwear - a good idea, would chafe like a mf'er

juskom95
09-12-2016, 01:02 PM
sounds like we had the exact same setup, down to the lifeboat rations even. i had the socks but not the underwear - a good idea, would chafe like a mf'er

These type of rations:

https://www.amazon.com/S-O-S-Rations-Emergency-3600-Calorie/dp/B004MF41LI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473703358&sr=8-1&keywords=coast+guard+rations

merlinfire
09-12-2016, 01:07 PM
These type of rations:

https://www.amazon.com/S-O-S-Rations-Emergency-3600-Calorie/dp/B004MF41LI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473703358&sr=8-1&keywords=coast+guard+rations

i think what I have is this: https://www.amazon.com/Mainstay-Emergency-Food-Rations-Packs/dp/B000B43JI0

but it got me thinking about this thread, because I already knew that those rations probably expired last year. they are probably still safe to eat but it is time to rotate, methinks

Arklatex
09-12-2016, 01:24 PM
i think what I have is this: https://www.amazon.com/Mainstay-Emergency-Food-Rations-Packs/dp/B000B43JI0

but it got me thinking about this thread, because I already knew that those rations probably expired last year. they are probably still safe to eat but it is time to rotate, methinks
The reason I went with the lifeboat rations is because my ghb stays in my vehicle all the time. The rations can maintain their shelf life in a hot environment. Very important in the south. MRE would only last a month in the kind of Temps we get here.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160912/7732e103a72668395e3669df22efb47e.jpg

And I don't want to mess with rehydrating backpacking foods in a get home situation.

Later I will take pics of my setup. It would be nice to get some feedback from the group in case I've overlooked anything.

merlinfire
09-12-2016, 01:29 PM
yes, that was my logic too. i live in ohio these days (though a southerner born and bred) but during the summer in a hot car it still gets toasty. my ghb stays in my trunk so it potentially is vulnerable to that heat. though not in direct sunlight and inside the bag, so it probably is good for at least 4 years by that chart.

juskom95
09-12-2016, 01:36 PM
yes, that was my logic too. i live in ohio these days (though a southerner born and bred) but during the summer in a hot car it still gets toasty. my ghb stays in my trunk so it potentially is vulnerable to that heat. though not in direct sunlight and inside the bag, so it probably is good for at least 4 years by that chart.

That is the reason for my purchase. I'm bad right now, because they got punctured, so I pulled them out of my bag. I tried them . . . not bad, not good, but enough I guess.

merlinfire
09-12-2016, 02:29 PM
Really for a 2 day hike its probably more than enough food (and I guarantee I'll be sick of it the first day) but it has adequate shelf life and has got the calories. and as ark pointed out, no prep. anything that requires prep means time wasted when I should be getting home as quick as possible. also why I prefer bottles of water (rotated more frequently) rather than a lot of filters, though I do have a filter in the bag. searching for water is another one of those things i'd rather not waste time on unless I had to.

juskom95
09-12-2016, 03:18 PM
I'm in about the same situation, though I'm still lacking a water filtration device. I know of only a few bodies of water between my work and home . . . none of them would I trust a filter with unless I was dying.

Batou
09-12-2016, 03:53 PM
I'm in about the same situation, though I'm still lacking a water filtration device. I know of only a few bodies of water between my work and home . . . none of them would I trust a filter with unless I was dying.

Sawyer mini for "clean-ish" water.

Berkey bottle for stuff that's worse.

Deebo
09-12-2016, 04:42 PM
I have the sos rations, I did a one day trial, only eating the bar.
They taste like a teething cracker, and made me thirsty. BUT, they are food.
I haven't rotated from warm to cold weather yet, Hell, I think the truck bag is in the storage shed..
And, its not a get home or go bag, just a "truck bag", im headed home..

Deebo
09-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Lifestraw and a Sawyer mini here.

TJC44
09-12-2016, 08:20 PM
My bag was small, but it was stuffed full. Extra clothes (pants, socks, sweatshirt), a couple ways to start fire, a water bladder that I keep empty and clean (I plan to fill it first if SHTF), water purifying tablets, paracord, a neat little hatchet tool (I posted a picture of it here sometime back). There's more, but I still haven't dug into it to re-organize.

Arklatex
09-16-2016, 07:29 PM
I just redid my ghb from summer to winter. I was using a small tactical type bag and switched over to a medium Alice pack with the frame. I added a sleep system and some other extras. And now my weight is right at 25 pounds with full canteens (72 oz). I need to get out and test it because I've never carried an Alice before. It feels good with the hip belt but most packs do at first. Need to put some miles on this thing to see if in gonna stick with it.

hawgrider
09-16-2016, 07:39 PM
I just redid my ghb from summer to winter. I was using a small tactical type bag and switched over to a medium Alice pack with the frame. I added a sleep system and some other extras. And now my weight is right at 25 pounds with full canteens (72 oz). I need to get out and test it because I've never carried an Alice before. It feels good with the hip belt but most packs do at first. Need to put some miles on this thing to see if in gonna stick with it.
Alice didn't like my frame. Infact she rubbed me raw. Hopefully she fits you better.

Arklatex
09-16-2016, 07:42 PM
Alice didn't like my frame. Infact she rubbed me raw. Hopefully she fits you better.
We shall see, I remember you mentioning that before. I'm 6'3 185 and the pack "feels good" but that don't mean shit yet. I really like the design tho.

hawgrider
09-16-2016, 08:20 PM
We shall see, I remember you mentioning that before. I'm 6'3 185 and the pack "feels good" but that don't mean shit yet. I really like the design tho.your height and weight may be more suited to it. Im 5'9 240 I ended up with a kelty.

RubberDuck
09-16-2016, 08:37 PM
I started with the large alice it was stuffed for extended stay about 60 lbs with ammo and full gear. felt great for about 10 min then killed me my hips were in pain and i was walking hunched over. no matter what I did I could not get it adjusted.
The wife loves it fits her body an hips much better but also down in the 30 lbs range.
I went with a molle main an assult pack now was up to 70 lbs just to test an was much better I could condition my body to carry it but why I bought quads lol get me to camp an its all assult pack from there.
I have itch to rebuild my packs so Ill be getting them out an working on that soon

Arklatex
09-16-2016, 08:49 PM
A rare pic of RubberDuck and his bag

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160917/f27f49053e5e48706ec07bf10089f4fe.jpg

RubberDuck
09-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Got to put my booze somewhere :cool:

darsk20
09-17-2016, 07:26 AM
Got to put my booze somewhere :cool:
You definitely have the right priorities.

My GHB is pretty simple. Relatively easy 17 mile walk if it is just me. The wife only works about a 1/4 mile from me, so grab her on the way and she has her own stuff. SOS rations, water, and Sawyer filter. Fire and minor first aid. Will add winter stuff here shortly since it stays pretty warm out to the middle or end of October.

The hard part is going to be getting to our son at daycare. I keep playing with the idea of stashing a spare bicycle in my building. I usually have his trailer in my car and we have a good multi use path almost all the way there, so seems the simplest plan.

BlackDog
09-17-2016, 01:41 PM
But then again, my wife and I are in no condition to make a trek over the Blue Ridge mountains (probably the safest place to head to) on foot, with a 50 lb backpack on either of our shoulders.

If I may ask, what part of the Blue Ridge are you near? I can see the Blue Ridge from my front porch. PM me if you like.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

DerBiermeister
09-17-2016, 04:49 PM
If I may ask, what part of the Blue Ridge are you near? I can see the Blue Ridge from my front porch. PM me if you like.

I guess "near is relative" as I am in the Richmond vicinity. The mountains are a good hour away by car. But in any kind of eastern seaboard nuclear/biological attack, the mountains would be the goal to get to.;

Arklatex
09-17-2016, 05:11 PM
I guess "near is relative" as I am in the Richmond vicinity. The mountains are a good hour away by car. But in any kind of eastern seaboard nuclear/biological attack, the mountains would be the goal to get to.;
I kinda figured you would head for the boat and sail to some exotic island full of beautiful, scantily clad women that will gladly fulfill your every desire... That's what I would do. If I were you.

BlackDog
09-17-2016, 06:05 PM
Cool, I'm in WV near Harpers Ferry so a couple hours haul. But, if you're ever in the neighborhood, good times or bad, look me up!

DerBiermeister
09-17-2016, 06:20 PM
Cool, I'm in WV near Harpers Ferry so a couple hours haul. But, if you're ever in the neighborhood, good times or bad, look me up!

Every couple of years, a few of us get up to Harpers Ferry on our motorcycles. It is a nice ride up there. Of some interest -- when they filmed the movie Gods And Generals, they did a lot of the filming in Harpers Ferry because they've kept the town restored and it greatly resembled Fredericksburg back in 1862.

Inor
09-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Every couple of years, a few of us get up to Harpers Ferry on our motorcycles. It is a nice ride up there. Of some interest -- when they filmed the movie Gods And Generals, they did a lot of the filming in Harpers Ferry because they've kept the town restored and it greatly resembled Fredericksburg back in 1862.

I wish that movie followed the book more closely. They did a fantastic job following The Killer Angels book, not so much Gods and Generals.

DerBiermeister
09-17-2016, 08:36 PM
I wish that movie followed the book more closely. They did a fantastic job following The Killer Angels book, not so much Gods and Generals.

I'm a huge fan of Jeff Shaara. I thought the movie was good. And don't forget, he consulted in the making of the movie. The basis of the book was the importance of Fredericksburg in the war. Of secondary note, was the importance of Jackson. For all practical purposes, had Burnside not run into the flooded Rappahannock, and had he listened to Hancock to cross the river 15 miles upstream at Ellys Ford, instead of delaying for weeks (allowing Lee to capture the high ground at Marye's Heights), the war would have ended right then and there. As it was, Lee and Jackson destroyed the Union army, further aided a few months later by the Condederate victory at Chancellorsville with Jackson's Flank March where he wiped up Hooker's army. There is a solid argument to be made that had Jackson not been killed at Chancellorsville, Lee would not have lost at Gettysburg. Which of course would have only delayed the war longer.

I cannot explain how thrilling it was to see the whole event unfold on the screen after I have spent many days in touring the various battle sites. I also thought that the casting of Steven Lang as Stonewall was brilliant. You were truly seeing Jackson on the screen. Here is his famous speech to the First Brigade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29HFaG9aOqo

One of the sad things is that Ted Turner backed out of finishing the movie trilogy, with the decision to not make the movie The Last Full Measure -- they were all ready to start shooting when he cancelled the project. He did it based on the lackluster performance of God's & Generals in the theatres.

I am pretty close to all those events having lived right next to Chancellorsville (in Lake Of The Woods which was developed right in the middle of what was the famous Wilderness battle). The Parks people have done a great job of preserving much of the battle areas in and around Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Jackson's Flank March.

Geezums -- I think I'm going to go watch the movie again!

BlackDog
09-17-2016, 11:53 PM
I have a friend who was an extra in that movie. I also have a friend who lives in Lake of the Woods. I believe on the corner of Liberty and Independence if I recall. A true Southern Gentleman. We got him a concrete cannon for his yard one birthday.
Next time you're up Harpers Ferry way the coffee is on me.

Inor
09-18-2016, 01:06 AM
I'm a huge fan of Jeff Shaara. I thought the movie was good. And don't forget, he consulted in the making of the movie. The basis of the book was the importance of Fredericksburg in the war. Of secondary note, was the importance of Jackson. For all practical purposes, had Burnside not run into the flooded Rappahannock, and had he listened to Hancock to cross the river 15 miles upstream at Ellys Ford, instead of delaying for weeks (allowing Lee to capture the high ground at Marye's Heights), the war would have ended right then and there. As it was, Lee and Jackson destroyed the Union army, further aided a few months later by the Condederate victory at Chancellorsville with Jackson's Flank March where he wiped up Hooker's army. There is a solid argument to be made that had Jackson not been killed at Chancellorsville, Lee would not have lost at Gettysburg. Which of course would have only delayed the war longer.

I cannot explain how thrilling it was to see the whole event unfold on the screen after I have spent many days in touring the various battle sites. I also thought that the casting of Steven Lang as Stonewall was brilliant. You were truly seeing Jackson on the screen. Here is his famous speech to the First Brigade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29HFaG9aOqo

One of the sad things is that Ted Turner backed out of finishing the movie trilogy, with the decision to not make the movie The Last Full Measure -- they were all ready to start shooting when he cancelled the project. He did it based on the lackluster performance of God's & Generals in the theatres.

I am pretty close to all those events having lived right next to Chancellorsville (in Lake Of The Woods which was developed right in the middle of what was the famous Wilderness battle). The Parks people have done a great job of preserving much of the battle areas in and around Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Jackson's Flank March.

Geezums -- I think I'm going to go watch the movie again!

The movie was okay. Admittedly, Jeff Shaara bit off a much bigger bite with Gods and Generals than his father with The Killer Angels. (I am a HUGE fan of both Shaara boys.) But still, the book was basically the story of how Gen Lee came to command the Army of Northern Virginia and the battle of Fredericksburg. The movie was a milquetoast version of the history of Gen Jackson. I did not like that.

The book Gods and Generals was what turned me into a Southerner. I bought it within a week of it coming out. Until the time that book came out, I had only heard the northern perspective of the war, having lived my entire life in Minnesota. I read that book and found myself agreeing with Gen Lee more and more as the book went on. After reading it I dove way deep into the subject, reading literally dozens of "real" history books and came away with the firm conviction that Gen Lee and President Davis were 100% right. And the rock solid conviction that lincoln was an absolute monster.

DerBiermeister
09-18-2016, 11:30 AM
The movie was okay. Admittedly, Jeff Shaara bit off a much bigger bite with Gods and Generals than his father with The Killer Angels. (I am a HUGE fan of both Shaara boys.) But still, the book was basically the story of how Gen Lee came to command the Army of Northern Virginia and the battle of Fredericksburg. The movie was a milquetoast version of the history of Gen Jackson. I did not like that.

The book Gods and Generals was what turned me into a Southerner. I bought it within a week of it coming out. Until the time that book came out, I had only heard the northern perspective of the war, having lived my entire life in Minnesota. I read that book and found myself agreeing with Gen Lee more and more as the book went on. After reading it I dove way deep into the subject, reading literally dozens of "real" history books and came away with the firm conviction that Gen Lee and President Davis were 100% right. And the rock solid conviction that lincoln was an absolute monster.

You may be right on the emphasis that Shaara put in the book -- it has been probably 15 years since I read the book. I'll have to go back and read it again. BUT, having said that -- I have for decades come to realize that Jackson was the best general the south had - and that includes Lee. If you want a modern day equivalent, it would be Patton, without Patton's penchant for causing trouble. When Jackson got killed, Lee changed dramatically. He had trusted Jackson whole-heartedly and with him gone, he never really completely trusted any of his other generals, and that includes Longstreet (who he should have).

So, you and I Inor are going to have disagree a little bit, which is no problem. IMO, Jackson was THE star at Fredericksburg, as well as Chancellorsville. The movie brings that out if the book didn't.

An interesting side story -- I probably passed the obelisk at the Chancellorsville battlefield where Jackson was shot ten thousand times, in all the years I lived in Wilderness. The Obelisk is only about 100 feet from the highway and stands tall maybe 50 feet in the air. He was shot accidentally at dusk by a Confederate soldier from A.P. Hill's brigade.
Anyway, they quickly moved Jackson about 4 miles west toward the Wilderness, and had him housed in the Wilderness Tavern for treatment by a surgeon. They amputated his arm and actually buried the arm in a cornfield behind the tavern. Today, there is a grave stone marking where the arm is buried. Shortly after that, Stonewall's brigade became worried that they were too vulnerable for Yankee armies just sitting there waiting for Jackson to improve. So they went on the march some 50 miles away (southeast) to a little town called Guinea Station. There he was put in a little farm house where he contracted pneumonia and died. This is all covered in the movie and was filmed right there on location. I had talked to some park rangers about the filming, and they told me that the death scene was filmed in the actual room, but the only thing they changed was that the real bed was too fragile to take a chance on getting damaged, so they substituted with another bed.

Back to my story once again -- it is in the late '70s and the Natl Park Service is getting real close to opening the Wilderness Tavern as an historic site. Somehow there was some power lines in the basement that shorted out and caused a very bad fire. This was right in the middle of a weekday. I was Asst Fire Chief for the Lake Of The Woods FD, and me and one other guy immediately responded to the fire call. Others came later, but it was hopeless as the structure was fully involved when we arrived. Here is a picture of me (white hat) and the other guy fighting the fire.

https://npsfrsp.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/wilderness-dependency-burning-1978.jpg?w=300&h=208

https://npsfrsp.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/confederate-second-corps-hospital-at-wilderness-tavern-jacksons-amputation/

All that remains today is parts of the chimney fenced off. This site is right next to Rt 3.
https://www.nps.gov/frsp/learn/photosmultimedia/tavern.htm

Kfilly
10-02-2016, 10:10 PM
I live in a city of about 50k people. I am about 6 blocks from the edge of town, and I am in farm country after that. My primary plan would be to bug out for most circumstances. There would more than likely be too many unprepared to stick around my house. I do have a BOL about 90 miles by car. Seeing that my primary plan is to bug out, I go through my bag regularly. Everyone should check their bags at least twice a year. Once when it starts to warm up in spring, and check it again when the weather starts to cool off in fall. It takes minutes to do. I also store Eneloop rechargeable batteries in my pack. I recharge those batteries, check my clothes, and check my food supply.

I have a jar of peanut butter I know have to replace in mine. It is a week past due. Plan to swap it out soon. For people relying on just the emergency rations, you might want to add some peanut butter to get some protein into your diet. Your muscles will thank you if you have to do a lot of hiking. Plus, peanut butter can be used to bait traps and snares.

Kfilly
10-02-2016, 10:19 PM
My emergency bag needs re-evaluated, but I have no BOL, so no BOB.

I need to empty and rebuild my water storage too . . . but I'm trying to avoid that.

It is still a good idea to have a BOB. It is a good idea to diversify your plans. You might be able to go to a like minded friend's or family member's house after certain events. I bet a lot of people leaving hurricane zones, wildfire areas, etc are glad they have bags packed and ready to go.

Inor
10-02-2016, 10:39 PM
I live in a city of about 50k people. I am about 6 blocks from the edge of town, and I am in farm country after that. My primary plan would be to bug out for most circumstances. There would more than likely be too many unprepared to stick around my house. I do have a BOL about 90 miles by car. Seeing that my primary plan is to bug out, I go through my bag regularly. Everyone should check their bags at least twice a year. Once when it starts to warm up in spring, and check it again when the weather starts to cool off in fall. It takes minutes to do. I also store Eneloop rechargeable batteries in my pack. I recharge those batteries, check my clothes, and check my food supply.

I have a jar of peanut butter I know have to replace in mine. It is a week past due. Plan to swap it out soon. For people relying on just the emergency rations, you might want to add some peanut butter to get some protein into your diet. Your muscles will thank you if you have to do a lot of hiking. Plus, peanut butter can be used to bait traps and snares.

With all of the wild turkey and deer you have around La Crosse, the last thing you need to worry about is having enough protein. If anything, you might lay in a supply of laxative due to too much protein. :biglaugh: Mrs Inor and I have some friends in Caledonia, MN. I have never seen so many wild turkeys in my life as the times we have been down there visiting. (Until last August, I had lived my entire life just outside the Twin Cities.)

Kfilly
10-03-2016, 05:59 AM
With all of the wild turkey and deer you have around La Crosse, the last thing you need to worry about is having enough protein. If anything, you might lay in a supply of laxative due to too much protein. :biglaugh: Mrs Inor and I have some friends in Caledonia, MN. I have never seen so many wild turkeys in my life as the times we have been down there visiting. (Until last August, I had lived my entire life just outside the Twin Cities.)

Yes, there are tons of wild turkey and deer in my parts. I would prefer not to shoot one just to feed me and a couple dogs. It would also take awhile to clean, process, and cook any wild game caught. Where as, I can open my jar of peanut butter, eat a spoonful or two, and keep on moving. The goal of my BOB is to get where I am going as fast as possible.

juskom95
10-03-2016, 09:48 AM
It is still a good idea to have a BOB. It is a good idea to diversify your plans. You might be able to go to a like minded friend's or family member's house after certain events. I bet a lot of people leaving hurricane zones, wildfire areas, etc are glad they have bags packed and ready to go.

I don't have any friends/family who think like that or whom I would trust. Add to that my family (wife and daughters) do not have the same skills as myself, 'bugging out' to 'live in the woods' is not a viable option.

I am very much on my own, so I have to plan for what is possible today I have plans for a BOL/Cabin, but it takes time to get to that point.

Kfilly
10-04-2016, 07:14 AM
I don't have any friends/family who think like that or whom I would trust. Add to that my family (wife and daughters) do not have the same skills as myself, 'bugging out' to 'live in the woods' is not a viable option.

I am very much on my own, so I have to plan for what is possible today I have plans for a BOL/Cabin, but it takes time to get to that point.

It would still be a good idea to have a BOB for each family member. I won't change that opinion. It might not have to be a traditional I am going to live in the woods BOB. It can be one to get you to a friend's or relative's house even if that is by car. You can have a few clothes and some other essentials already packed . In your bag, you could add some extra survival stuff (fire kit, water filter, knife, etc.) while the rest of your family's bag is benign clothing/snack bars. Your packs could be something you use if you had a house fire, storm damage to your house, etc. Your packs could get you to hotel or someone else's house. No one has to know you are even prepping.

Disclaimer...Do not run into a burning building to grab anything.

juskom95
10-04-2016, 07:19 AM
It would still be a good idea to have a BOB for each family member. I won't change that opinion. It might not have to be a traditional I am going to live in the woods BOB. It can be one to get you to a friend's or relative's house even if that is by car. You can have a few clothes and some other essentials already packed . In your bag, you could add some extra survival stuff (fire kit, water filter, knife, etc.) while the rest of your family's bag is benign clothing/snack bars. Your packs could be something you use if you had a house fire, storm damage to your house, etc. Your packs could get you to hotel or someone else's house. No one has to know you are even prepping.

Disclaimer...Do not run into a burning building to grab anything.

I think you missed a key point in my not having a BOB: "Where do I go?"

No friends who can support me even for a short while (closest lives in a rented room) or they are close enough (50-100 meters) for it not to matter.
Family? No thanks, I don't want my kidney stolen or my children molested.

Kfilly
10-04-2016, 07:23 AM
I think you missed a key point in my not having a BOB: "Where do I go?"

No friends who can support me even for a short while (closest lives in a rented room) or they are close enough (50-100 meters) for it not to matter.
Family? No thanks, I don't want my kidney stolen or my children molested.

Did not know it was that bad.

Gambit
10-04-2016, 07:25 AM
I have to redo the ones at my house and looking to make one for the german shepherd whos pretty much a horse
figure I can get him to carry roughly 10+ pounds of minor stuff

Kfilly
10-04-2016, 07:31 AM
I have to redo the ones at my house and looking to make one for the german shepherd whos pretty much a horse
figure I can get him to carry roughly 10+ pounds of minor stuff

I bought back packs for my two dogs. I put leashes, individual meals that vacuum sealed, a collapsible dish in each of my dogs packs. My bigger dog also gets to carry their water bottle. I liked the idea someone mentioned about having muzzles in their packs as well.

Baglady
10-04-2016, 08:38 PM
Good thread. Great reminders. Been so busy lately I haven't thought about any of this. Need to check the GHB's in the car and truck. Took the food out for the summer so they wouldn't spoil. They need refreshing with cold weather clothes.
I've always got my Medical bag in order since I keep it in the house.

Kfilly
03-25-2017, 06:29 PM
It is getting to be that time of year to go back through your kits. Switch winter gear for summer gear. Bumped the thread!