PDA

View Full Version : Massive blackout hits Puerto Rico; millions without power

TJC44
09-21-2016, 07:24 PM
PUERTO RICO — A massive blackout hit Puerto Rico Wednesday afternoon, leaving at least 1.5 million people without power.

An investigation is underway by power company Electric Power Authority, which provides electricity for the entire island.

They expect most power to be restored by Thursday morning, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

The blackout was caused by a fire started by energy switches at a major facility in Aguirre which damaged power lines. That facility serves a majority of island residents.

Gov. Alejandro Garcia Padilla said the fire began in a switch and destroyed a system that provides 30 percent of Puerto Rico's overall power, according to the Sentinel.

The power company said two transmission lines of 230 thousand volts have been damaged.

http://pix11.com/2016/09/21/massive-blackout-hits-puerto-rico-millions-without-power/

Granted that this is PR, they are already in financial straits. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

BucketBack
09-21-2016, 07:25 PM
PR is OK

OSFG
09-21-2016, 07:44 PM
PUERTO RICO — A massive blackout hit Puerto Rico Wednesday afternoon, leaving at least 1.5 million people without power.

An investigation is underway by power company Electric Power Authority, which provides electricity for the entire island.

They expect most power to be restored by Thursday morning, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

The blackout was caused by a fire started by energy switches at a major facility in Aguirre which damaged power lines. That facility serves a majority of island residents.

Gov. Alejandro Garcia Padilla said the fire began in a switch and destroyed a system that provides 30 percent of Puerto Rico's overall power, according to the Sentinel.

The power company said two transmission lines of 230 thousand volts have been damaged.

http://pix11.com/2016/09/21/massive-blackout-hits-puerto-rico-millions-without-power/

Granted that this is PR, they are already in financial straits. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Tie that to NC suffers 1,000's of Blacks out...many still without electronics.

BucketBack
09-21-2016, 09:14 PM
that's a good one.

Dwight55
09-22-2016, 07:44 PM
It just shows how vulnerable our electrical grid is to an otherwise insignificant piece of the system.

May God bless,
Dwight

Baglady
09-22-2016, 08:29 PM
2 days ago I woke up to no power. No A/C..No COFFEE....I started to sweat..I started to shake...what do I do?? I couldn't even call anyone cause our phone plugs into the wall as well as the phone cord! Hubby had my car so I couldn't go anywhere. Can this get any worse?? Yes it can. I had nothing to read! What do I do for hours..??
Then BOOM. The power came on and I fell to my knees praising The Lord!!

And that was how I spent the first 15 minutes of tuesday morning. :p (Close call)

But, I do hope the folks in PR get their juice on. I know what it's like...

Inor
09-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Baglady -

You need to get one of those $5 propane camping stoves that Hawg and Duck (and now I) rave about. At least you could have coffee. I get violent real quick without my morning coffee.

Baglady
09-22-2016, 08:52 PM
Baglady -

You need to get one of those $5 propane camping stoves that Hawg and Duck (and now I) rave about. At least you could have coffee. I get violent real quick without my morning coffee.

We have 3 of those, but I couldn't think without my morning joe.

TJC44
09-23-2016, 07:09 AM
2 days ago I woke up to no power. No A/C..No COFFEE....I started to sweat..I started to shake...what do I do?? I couldn't even call anyone cause our phone plugs into the wall as well as the phone cord! Hubby had my car so I couldn't go anywhere. Can this get any worse?? Yes it can. I had nothing to read! What do I do for hours..??

And that was how I spent the first 15 minutes of tuesday morning. :p (Close call)

Baglady getting coffee

juskom95
09-23-2016, 08:25 AM

Is your house line a VOIP or is it a cordless plugged in? Most VOIP systems have extended batteries, and the backbone they 'sit' on have better power redundancy than expected. During Katrina, I had cable TV the whole time, just no power or water!

Ricekila
09-23-2016, 08:42 AM
A massive blackout hit Puerto Rico

How can I put this ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/AVATARS/07ac6227.gif

Baglady
09-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Baglady getting coffee

I've done crazier things on horseback.

Baglady
09-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Is your house line a VOIP or is it a cordless plugged in? Most VOIP systems have extended batteries, and the backbone they 'sit' on have better power redundancy than expected. During Katrina, I had cable TV the whole time, just no power or water!

It's a cordless. You were in LA/MS during Katrina?? Tell us about your experience thru that nightmare. (?)

juskom95
09-23-2016, 12:20 PM
It's a cordless. You were in LA/MS during Katrina?? Tell us about your experience thru that nightmare. (?)

I was an MP during the time, one of the active duty units "On Hold" waiting on the governor to give the go ahead. While we were a few hours away from New Orleans we had interesting times.

-We broke the law to give water to the locals and off-post soldiers/support (we did not have permission)
-The locals/soldiers had to guard the water trucks, because vandals were stealing the trailers
-We had civilians sneaking on post/running the gate to wait in line to get fuel (we had reserves on post, and had planned for it . . . so critical systems had power/fuel)
-Civilians (non-dependents) pulled firearms a few times on the dependents/soldiers
-I watched a Mustang float away when they tried to follow my 4x4 through deep water during the hurricane, that was funny and sad. Funny to watch them, sad because I could not help them.

Just a few highlights, I could probably fill a thread.

Baglady
09-23-2016, 09:48 PM
I was an MP during the time, one of the active duty units "On Hold" waiting on the governor to give the go ahead. While we were a few hours away from New Orleans we had interesting times.

-We broke the law to give water to the locals and off-post soldiers/support (we did not have permission)
-The locals/soldiers had to guard the water trucks, because vandals were stealing the trailers
-We had civilians sneaking on post/running the gate to wait in line to get fuel (we had reserves on post, and had planned for it . . . so critical systems had power/fuel)
-Civilians (non-dependents) pulled firearms a few times on the dependents/soldiers
-I watched a Mustang float away when they tried to follow my 4x4 through deep water during the hurricane, that was funny and sad. Funny to watch them, sad because I could not help them.

Just a few highlights, I could probably fill a thread.

Wow. I'm sure a lot of us would like to hear more from someone who was there. Why don't you start a thread about it?