PDA

View Full Version : How to: Cereal and powdered milk

Dwight55
09-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Got to thinking the other day, . . . cereal and powdered milk.

1. In a SHTF situation, it brings to life, food that only needs one thing: water, . . . no heat, no fire, nothing but a bowl and water. Spoon is optional

2. In a SHTF situation, it could bring a bit of "normalcy" to especially the kids used to eating cereal, . . . maybe make it not quite so hard on them.

3. While not the brightest bird on the food value and calorie tree, it still can be a fairly good start.

NOW: I'm thinking of buying the boxes of cereal, . . . taking out the bags, . . . putting them in some "other" container, . . . with an equivalent amount of necessary powdered milk, . . . making up 5 gallon buckets of the things.

What do I need to do to especially the cereal to keep it from going bad?

Thanks, . . . looking to put me up some Cheerios, Raisin Bran, and Shredded Wheat. I found a good product I think in Kroger's powdered milk, . . . it is in strong and well sealed aluminum foil type pouches.

May God bless,
Dwight

Inor
09-24-2016, 07:45 PM
I do not know how well cereal would store. Maybe consider something like the instant Quaker Oatmeal. We used to eat that cold when I was a kid camping with my buddies. I'm thinking that might have a longer shelf life.

RubberDuck
09-24-2016, 08:17 PM
vacuum seal a high fiber or grain cereal.
the fluffy sugar stuff would leave air pockets or crush an leave air space.
the oats an grain cereal would vacuum tight no air no spoil.

MrsInor
09-24-2016, 08:48 PM
How about using the big Ball jars and using the Food Saver jar seal thing? I have done that with various grains and flours. The sugary cereal wouldn't turn to dust like it would with sealing it in a bag. However if you add the powdered milk - it would all fall to the bottom of the jar.

RubberDuck
09-24-2016, 09:18 PM
I have never used the jar sealer my didn't come with one but would like to try it.

Dwight55
09-25-2016, 06:29 AM
How about using the big Ball jars and using the Food Saver jar seal thing? I have done that with various grains and flours. The sugary cereal wouldn't turn to dust like it would with sealing it in a bag. However if you add the powdered milk - it would all fall to the bottom of the jar.

I need to look into this Food Saver thingy.........

Thank you.

May God bless,
Dwight

Broncosfan
09-25-2016, 09:41 AM
I have never used the jar sealer my didn't come with one but would like to try it.

I use mine a lot. This year we're putting our dehydrated tomatoes in jars with desiccant packs instead of the bags. That way everything is reusable as long as you don't bent the lid. My opinion they are worth using. I do put a ring on just to make sure I don't bump the lid and unseal it.

Broncosfan
09-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Dwight
The lid attachment is $8.99 @ Cabelas. I have also seen it @ Rural King. If you don't have a sealer Cabelas has one that is their brand and it does a good job. If you want to know the model let me know I will look it up.

MrsInor
09-25-2016, 10:25 AM
The jar sealer does come in two sizes - regular and wide mouth. I tried just getting by with the wide mouth but found some things actually seal better with the regular mouth jars.

We looked at sealers at Cabela's just to compare with the Westin we had. I think Cabela's is overpriced. Sometimes their bags/bag rolls are cheaper. We found the meat slicer from Cabels's sucked (although the dogs loved it). So I am a bit leery about purchasing Cabela's brand. (Except clothes.)

Broncosfan
09-25-2016, 10:56 AM
I have found that my Cabelas sealer works better than the Food Saver one that I had and the price was better. Especially when using the jar attachment. Cabelas stuff is higher but I buy when on sale and usually have discounted gift cards so I save around 40% most times more. My sealer was a special for around $50 regularly $99. I only buy bags at Menards when they have a sale and I get the Zip Lock brand and they work better than the food saver. My Cabelas slicer was also on sale for card members and it has worked great. So I guess its just the luck of the draw whomever you purchase something from. Most is made in China in probably the same factory.

Cherry
06-14-2017, 04:46 AM
Kasho Golean Crunch is one of my favorite, it is not possible to take it everyday, but atleast 3 days in a week, I take definitely. It makes a sweet, crunchy addition to plain Greek yogurt.