PDA

View Full Version : Matthew

TJC44
10-02-2016, 03:20 PM
I know it's been a pretty quiet hurricane season this year. Folks on the eastern seaboard should be keeping an eye on Matthew if they aren't already. It's aiming to hit Jamaica, Haiti, and Guantanamo in the next 2-3 days. Long term projections (always subject to change) have it starting up the eastern seaboard, starting with FLA.
Slewfoot, slippy, and others near the coast, be ready.

Ricekila
10-02-2016, 04:33 PM
As of 5 minutes ago --

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/As%20posted%20on%20Survivalist/H-1_zpspwnf0hrv.png

DerBiermeister
10-02-2016, 05:00 PM
I've been very concerned for the last few days ever since they said it would make a turn and head north up the Florida coast.

We've had 7 1/2 inches of rain in the last few days. With the ground so soaked, if we get the remnants from Matthew (or God forbid a direct hit), I am going to have massive tree damage around my house.

My other concern is I am running our club's Offshore Fall #3 races next Saturday. The Hurricane on it's current projected path is going to impact this.

Sparkyprep
10-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Water supplies, Check.

Food Supplies, Check.

Security, Check.

Test fired the generator today. I have 100 gallons of gas onsite. Should last a while. Check.

Cleaned up yard today as well.

I'm good to go.

Ricekila
10-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Plans on where to meet just in case ?

Hand radios good for at least 2 miles ?

Move your cars to where ?

( don't laugh )

Row boat or inflatable tied to your front step's ?

Sparkyprep
10-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Plans on where to meet just in case ?

Hand radios good for at least 2 miles ?

Move your cars to where ?

( don't laugh )

Row boat or inflatable tied to your front step's ?

Cars go in the barn.

I have a 20 foot fishing boat. (but I am inland, and not in a flood zone.)

Don't really need communications. At least not radios. If cell coverage fails, its not a big deal. My whole family lives in one area, within a short drive. No point in calling 911, since they won't come anyway. Self-reliance is paramount.

My house is built like a bomb shelter. Walls are all steel re-enforced, poured solid concrete. Meeting place is my house.

inceptor
10-02-2016, 09:57 PM
The coolest flood protection I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vd3I5HSz4s

Ricekila
10-02-2016, 10:19 PM
I like that -- but it wouldn't work for me -- water table is to high to start with --

Ricekila
10-03-2016, 04:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/As%20posted%20on%20Survivalist/H-2_zpszxcpvbp7.png

Deebo
10-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Prayers for all yall.

DerBiermeister
10-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Damn. Kind of looks like it is heading for Morehead City (Beaufort). That is going to be a mess. IMO, that is the boating capitol of the world -- or at least the east coast -- LOL. Seriously, you've never seen so many power/fishing boats in your life. Of course, we'll get the tropical storm from it.

Sparkyprep
10-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Damn. Kind of looks like it is heading for Morehead City (Beaufort). That is going to be a mess. IMO, that is the boating capitol of the world -- or at least the east coast -- LOL. Seriously, you've never seen so many power/fishing boats in your life. Of course, we'll get the tropical storm from it.

I bet I've seen more. LOL.

Anyway, track just shifted closer to us. I'm taking inventory of my supplies, but I am not going to close the window shutters until Wednesday night. At this point, there is no way that I would go anywhere near a store. If I don't have it by now, then I don't need it.

Slippy
10-03-2016, 07:24 PM

Anyway, track just shifted closer to us. I'm taking inventory of my supplies, but I am not going to close the window shutters until Wednesday night. At this point, there is no way that I would go anywhere near a store. If I don't have it by now, then I don't need it.

Be safe Sparky.

Ricekila
10-04-2016, 06:57 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/As%20posted%20on%20Survivalist/H-3_zpsxalsahth.png

BucketBack
10-04-2016, 07:32 AM

Boat Town, my old hangout
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Township,_Michigan

Inor
10-04-2016, 08:03 AM
Let us know you and yours are okay Sparky.

hawgrider
10-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Looks like a mess in Florida. TV news is showing plugged up roads long lines and empty shelves.
The authorities say 3 days supplys. Im thinking 3 day of supplys is a joke if they get smacked by that hurricane.

BucketBack
10-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Yep, I drank 2 F5 Hurricances by Bud. I quit

Sparkyprep
10-04-2016, 05:56 PM
So far, so good. I won't go anywhere near a store at this point. I still have to work tomorrow, so I put up my dad's shutters this afternoon. Kids are out of school tomorrow, so they can handle the last-minute, minor stuff. We are good.

DerBiermeister
10-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Looks like a mess in Florida. TV news is showing plugged up roads long lines and empty shelves.
The authorities say 3 days supplys. Im thinking 3 day of supplys is a joke if they get smacked by that hurricane.

There is good news in all this for Florida --- the track looks like the center will stay off shore maybe 50 or more miles. Florida will not be hit by the worst side of the storm. They'll be on the backside which means minimal storm surge, and the rain also will be lessened.

Baglady
10-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Cars go in the barn.

I have a 20 foot fishing boat. (but I am inland, and not in a flood zone.)

Don't really need communications. At least not radios. If cell coverage fails, its not a big deal. My whole family lives in one area, within a short drive. No point in calling 911, since they won't come anyway. Self-reliance is paramount.

My house is built like a bomb shelter. Walls are all steel re-enforced, poured solid concrete. Meeting place is my house.

That's seriously impressive Sparky! Hope all goes well for you and your family.

Baglady
10-04-2016, 08:04 PM

Guess my Uncle will be putting his yacht out to sea. Not the first time, probably won't be the last time Beaufort takes a hit.

DerBiermeister
10-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Hurricane update -- WHEW! What a difference a day makes. Drastic change overnight in the projected track. It now looks like Matthew will not brush too closely in NC, and will veer out to sea well below Cape Hatteras, sparing Virginia. Florida will get the worst of it. My SIL Bob is in Miami right now.

Ricekila
10-05-2016, 08:04 AM
Thats what they said the last time -- my luck it will merge with T/S Nicole -- then head right for my ass --

DerBiermeister
10-05-2016, 09:20 AM
Thats what they said the last time -- my luck it will merge with T/S Nicole -- then head right for my ass --

Yep -- let's not forget Hurricane Hazel in 1954 -- came into NC on Oct 15 -- that followed pretty much the same track as Matthew. I lived in Old Greenwich CT at the time, and even though Hazel tracked well inland from us, we got hammered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/09/28/tropical-storm-matthews-forecast-is-eerily-similar-to-hurricane-hazel-in-1954/

Sparkyprep
10-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Ok folks. Here we go. I expect power to go out any time now. I will stay in touch until my battery back-up goes out. Then, I will have to wait for the storm to pass before firing up the generator. Pretty heavy rain right now, and the wind is picking up.

I'm cooking bacon.

DerBiermeister
10-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Ok folks. Here we go. I expect power to go out any time now. I will stay in touch until my battery back-up goes out. Then, I will have to wait for the storm to pass before firing up the generator. Pretty heavy rain right now, and the wind is picking up.

I'm cooking bacon.

Good luck Sparky -- stay safe!

RubberDuck
10-06-2016, 11:15 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161006/602fa429150917223993006713b35ec7.jpg

Inor
10-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Be safe Sparky. Let us know how you make out when you can.

S.....P......
10-06-2016, 10:19 PM
I haven't been on much in the last few days. It's been busy finishing up work then 21 hours home. Made it in at 8 am this morning. Got the rv parked facing into the wind with the Jacks down. The house is ready. Tubs are full of water for flushing toilets. Plenty of gas for the gen and LP for cooking. The truck has just under 100 gal of fuel and Mrs SP's ride is full too. Some family is here with us until the storm passes. We are further inland (25 mi) than they are. With the latest update we are still in the Tropical Storm winds zone.

Inor
10-06-2016, 10:24 PM
I haven't been on much in the last few days. It's been busy finishing up work then 21 hours home. Made it in at 8 am this morning. Got the rv parked facing into the wind with the Jacks down. The house is ready. Tubs are full of water for flushing toilets. Plenty of gas for the gen and LP for cooking. The truck has just under 100 gal of fuel and Mrs SP's ride is full too. Some family is here with us until the storm passes. We are further inland (25 mi) than they are. With the latest update we are still in the Tropical Storm winds zone.

Be safe SP. Let us know that you made it safe and sound.

S.....P......
10-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Will do. Just finished tucking in the kids and let the dogs out for a last time tonight. I can still see stars and the wind is at about 15.

Sparkyprep
10-07-2016, 05:18 PM
Update,

Storm has passed. All is well. We were only out of power for 12 hours. I didn't bother running the generator. I was really too far inland to experience the real heavy stuff. No damage to anything. I have a lot of branches to clean up. Everyone in the neighborhood, and family is equally ok. Someone in the neighborhood put the "You Loot, We Shoot" sign out in front of the dirt road. We have had no problems. I went over to the coast, and they have no power, and there are a lot of trees down, but overall, everything seems ok.

Mrs. Sparky is frying up some gator tail to celebrate the power coming back on. I'll be around after dinner.

Sparkyprep
10-07-2016, 05:33 PM
Very special props to all of the pole-top cowboys like Cam19 who rode in to save the day. Hats off to all the boys. GET THAT MONEY!!!!

Inor
10-07-2016, 05:56 PM
I'm glad all is well Sparky.

DerBiermeister
10-07-2016, 06:42 PM

ditto

BucketBack
10-08-2016, 06:42 AM

X3!

S.....P......
10-08-2016, 10:18 AM
All good at the S.P. Homestead. We never lost power. The wind never realy got bad either. We had a few dead limbs blow out of the cabage tree but that's it.

Inor
10-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Excellent! Thanks for the update.

Baglady
10-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Update,

Storm has passed. All is well. We were only out of power for 12 hours. I didn't bother running the generator. I was really too far inland to experience the real heavy stuff. No damage to anything. I have a lot of branches to clean up. Everyone in the neighborhood, and family is equally ok. Someone in the neighborhood put the "You Loot, We Shoot" sign out in front of the dirt road. We have had no problems. I went over to the coast, and they have no power, and there are a lot of trees down, but overall, everything seems ok.

Mrs. Sparky is frying up some gator tail to celebrate the power coming back on. I'll be around after dinner.Good to hear you made it through the storm!

Baglady
10-10-2016, 11:26 AM
All good at the S.P. Homestead. We never lost power. The wind never realy got bad either. We had a few dead limbs blow out of the cabage tree but that's it.

Great news!

Slippy
10-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Son2 (Georgia Power Co) spent the last 6 days in Southeast Georgia living in a FEMA Trailer working to get the Power back on to nearly 340,000 people. Luckily after the storm passed, the weather was a bit cooler/dryer but it still was warm, humid compared to the rest of the country. Dangerous work but all are safe and he is loading up to head back home this am.

I asked him about his upcoming paycheck, filled with overtime/storm pay...his response was not about his pay, it was an expletive about how much he will pay in taxes. FUBAR

Arklatex
10-16-2016, 08:16 AM
I asked him about his upcoming paycheck, filled with overtime/storm pay...his response was not about his pay, it was an expletive about how much he will pay in taxes. FUBAR

They do that to us too. We have a deal where if we work all days in the pay period, the seventh day is 2x pay. But it's pointless because of the taxes. You're basically working for free for one day. FUBAR for sure.