PDA

View Full Version : What do you use as a water filtration system for your BOB?

Kfilly
10-07-2016, 09:25 AM
I am starting this post to encourage the use and spread of ideas as to water filtration systems people use in BOB's. These systems are also not limited to a BOB and can be used anytime water quality is suspect. This thread is for bouncing around ideas. Here is my set up.

My set up includes a Sawyer Mini as a primary filter. I peeled the label off of it and silicon caulked the joints together. That is the "mystery" filter in my photos. I had a defective filter that leaked at one of the ends which is the reason why I did that to all of my Sawyer Minis BTW. Moral of the story is do not buy them from Wal Mart. I use a Platypus Carbon Element as a second stage charcoal filter. The other small filter shown. I purchased a set of Sawyer adapters (came as a set). The gray one has male threads that insert into my Sawyer Mini. I melted the nipple shut on that. I can screw it into my filter and prevent contaminated water from dripping all over my water kit. I carry two 16 ounce soda bottles with caps for collecting, carrying water, and back flushing my filter. One bottle is green which I use for collecting water from a source. The clear one for back flushing as I can also use solar sterilization techniques with that bottle. Last but not least, I carry my filters in a small ziplock bag so I can keep them close to my body in freezing temperatures. I purchased everything from Amazon for about $40.

I do want to add the soda bottles can be gently squeezed to increase flow throw a Sawyer Mini. I also carry two Stanley Adventure stainless steel 32 ounce canteens and Aquamira water sterilization tablets which are not pictured. I can use those canteens for boiling water and making char cloth. I like having two metal canteens as they are lighter than the military surplus models. I can boil water in both canteens and use place them inside my sleeping bag in freezing conditions to help stay warm. My kit also allows me to carry 3 liters of water and is lightweight.

My entire water kit.

Sawyer Mini with Sawyer adapter "cap".

Second Sawyer adapter set up to back flush Sawyer Mini.

Slippy
10-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Currently a LifeStraw in both our bags (and an extra LifeStraw in our vehicles and at 2 at home). Mrs Slippy got us 2 Sawyer Mini's a while back. Royal Berkey at home.

Inor
10-07-2016, 10:57 AM
We have a lifestraw in each bag as well as purification tablets and a 4 filter Berkey at home. Also, since we recently moved to the desert and water is at a premium here, we have been collecting square 5 gallon water jugs and have 3 of the bladders that go in the bathtub.

Kfilly
10-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Currently a LifeStraw in both our bags (and an extra LifeStraw in our vehicles and at 2 at home). Mrs Slippy got us 2 Sawyer Mini's a while back. Royal Berkey at home.

I like the Sawyer Mini filters better than the LifeStraw. They are more versatile, and they last a lot longer. I use my two soda bottles to collect and back flush my filter. I can attach my Sawyer Mini to the top of my "dirty" water bottle. I can drink water straight from that bottle or get clean water for camp chores which is a task the LifeStraw would struggle with doing. The Sawyer Mini also allows me the chance to run a secondary carbon filter to help reduce contamination a little more than what either filter can do on their own.

Sparkyprep
10-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Lifestraw in each bag. Berkey at home.

Inor
10-07-2016, 05:54 PM
I am starting to think Lifestraw and Berkey should really pony up a few bucks to the OTP for our advertising efforts.

Kfilly
10-07-2016, 07:43 PM
I am starting to think Lifestraw and Berkey should really pony up a few bucks to the OTP for our advertising efforts.

That's funny because I recommend a Sawyer Mini filter. I like its ability to connect additional filters inline. Neither the Sawyer Mini or LifeStraw remove chemical contaminants. That is the reason I prefer the Sawyer Mini as I can use an activated charcoal filter inline. I would be worried about slowly poisoning one's self by drinking water with chemical contaminants that can be reduced by a carbon filter. Another thing I would consider is that waterborne viruses are not common in North America yet. After TSHTF, that could all change as stupid Americans would resort to Third World of cleaning/bathing, etc. Neither the LifeStraw or Sawyer Mini will do anything about viruses. Boiling, chemical, or solar pasteurization become your best bets at that point. If they do want dish some cash out my way, I will gladly put it towards some preps. Might even buy some more Sawyer Minis with it.

Sparkyprep
10-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Kfilly, thank you for starting some threads about prepping. Its not that I don't enjoy some good political threads, but I think we sometimes go a little overboard with them (myself included). It is nice to have something else to talk about.

Kfilly
10-07-2016, 08:31 PM
Kfilly, thank you for starting some threads about prepping. Its not that I don't enjoy some good political threads, but I think we sometimes go a little overboard with them (myself included). It is nice to have something else to talk about.

I agree. I started those two threads today to try get people to share ideas. If I have something awesome in my kit, I want to share it with others. I think I have a pretty good water kit for a bug out bag. I hope others would do would the same if they have cool items/ideas. That also goes for everything else prep related. Bouncing ideas around is how people learn.

Arklatex
10-07-2016, 08:41 PM
In my ghb i have the sawyer mini, taharmayam tabs and a canteen cup for boiling. My Bob has a Katadyn hiker pro, taharmayam tabs and a bush pot for boiling. At the house I have a homemade Berkey, sodium hypochlorite, lifestraws, iodine and an aquamira Frontier pro. Plus lots of pots.

Sparkyprep
10-07-2016, 09:02 PM
I think that the reason that the LifeStraws are so popular is that they are cheap, light, and they work. At $20 each, you can afford to buy a bunch of them.

Kfilly
10-07-2016, 09:38 PM
I think that the reason that the LifeStraws are so popular is that they are cheap, light, and they work. At $20 each, you can afford to buy a bunch of them.

A Sawyer Mini is the same price, but it is a much better buy. It is rated to filter up 100,000 gallons where as a LifeStraw is a few hundred gallons. Can be used inline with bladder hoses/other filters. The Sawyer Mini can also be threaded onto standard size soda bottle threads. It is smaller than a LifeStraw. It filters finer. It is easier to back flush than a LifeStraw. While a LifeStraw does a decent job, I do not see any reason to purchase one over a Sawyer Mini given the facts I just provided. I will add that a LifeStraw is a decent filter. Watch YouTube reviews of the Sawyer Mini. It is amazing the number of different ways people come up with to use it.

I have heard some people use a pine tree branch as a water filter. The branch has to be about 1" in diameter and 3" long. A piece that size is supposed to remove about 95 percent of the contaminants. I have never tried that, but I would in an extreme emergency.

Inor
10-07-2016, 10:29 PM
That's funny because I recommend a Sawyer Mini filter. I like its ability to connect additional filters inline. Neither the Sawyer Mini or LifeStraw remove chemical contaminants. That is the reason I prefer the Sawyer Mini as I can use an activated charcoal filter inline. I would be worried about slowly poisoning one's self by drinking water with chemical contaminants that can be reduced by a carbon filter. Another thing I would consider is that waterborne viruses are not common in North America yet. After TSHTF, that could all change as stupid Americans would resort to Third World of cleaning/bathing, etc. Neither the LifeStraw or Sawyer Mini will do anything about viruses. Boiling, chemical, or solar pasteurization become your best bets at that point. If they do want dish some cash out my way, I will gladly put it towards some preps. Might even buy some more Sawyer Minis with it.

I have to look at all of our preps from a pragmatic standpoint. Our whole prepper strategy is centered around being able to get by within a hundred miles of where our homestead happens to be. We designed our Get Home Bags to get us by until we get home, then decide what to do based on situation.

As most of you know, I travel all over North America almost every week for business. When we were living in Minnesota, it was a possibility, albeit a very remote possibility, that I could get home from New England (or similar distance) if a total SHTF event happened. So I did pack a mini-kit in my suitcase in case the worst happened. Now, living in the middle of nowhere Arizona, that is not realistic. I still have the same mini-kit in my suitcase, but I also realize the likelihood of actually making it home is something less than zero.

So given that background, I am not really worried about chemicals killing me on my way home. But, once I am home those types of issues become VERY important. However, once I am home I am not worried about things like weight.

Edit: I am not arguing against the Sawyer, just stating why we went with the Lifestraw.

Kfilly
10-08-2016, 05:41 AM
I have to look at all of our preps from a pragmatic standpoint. Our whole prepper strategy is centered around being able to get by within a hundred miles of where our homestead happens to be. We designed our Get Home Bags to get us by until we get home, then decide what to do based on situation.

As most of you know, I travel all over North America almost every week for business. When we were living in Minnesota, it was a possibility, albeit a very remote possibility, that I could get home from New England (or similar distance) if a total SHTF event happened. So I did pack a mini-kit in my suitcase in case the worst happened. Now, living in the middle of nowhere Arizona, that is not realistic. I still have the same mini-kit in my suitcase, but I also realize the likelihood of actually making it home is something less than zero.

So given that background, I am not really worried about chemicals killing me on my way home. But, once I am home those types of issues become VERY important. However, once I am home I am not worried about things like weight.

Edit: I am not arguing against the Sawyer, just stating why we went with the Lifestraw.

I understand what you are saying. I have an extended bug out if I had to make one. Three liters of water would not come anywhere close to cutting it. I have a few Mountain House meals in my pack as well. I have a few routes I already mapped out on my way to my BOL. There are creeks that run along farms. However, that gives me an issue of water contaminated by agricultural chemicals. I want to do as much as I can to reduce that as much as possible. I also know I will need additional water for cooking at some time. Those are two areas where I thought the LifeStraw failed. Different strokes for different folks.

RubberDuck
11-06-2016, 05:42 PM
I just dug this out and remembered this thread.
I scored this pump at a garage sale for $5 filter looks good still going to pick up a new one for it.
also everyone has a life straw i their packs
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161106/9ab04942448736ef2277ed2b3520bcef.jpg

BucketBack
11-07-2016, 05:40 AM
I have 3 unused sawyers that shouldn't freeze

In the past I've uses aquatabs, cheesecloth and a metal bottle.
Strain the water, boil it, then tab it.
That was the plan anyway

Kfilly
11-09-2016, 03:04 PM
I have 3 unused sawyers that shouldn't freeze

In the past I've uses aquatabs, cheesecloth and a metal bottle.
Strain the water, boil it, then tab it.
That was the plan anyway

Yes, I also have Aquamira tablets and a method to boil water (3 containers for that as I can use boiled water containers to help keep my sleeping bag warm in super cold temperatures), but I also like having a method that allows me to get water from just about any source and keep moving.