PDA

View Full Version : Calories Per Pound Of Rice, Beans, Wheat

hawgrider
10-18-2016, 06:29 AM
.5 cups per pound (raw – uncooked)

Note: Given the various varieties, results may differ slightly, but not much – so the factor of 2.5 cups per pound is close enough for our purposes.

Note: When looking up calories per pound from various sources the results will also vary slightly, however the figures given below are close enough for general conversation.

Rice Calories Per Pound

1648 calories per pound (uncooked)

Beans Calories Per Pound

1568 calories per pound (uncooked)

Wheat Berries Calories Per Pound

1520 calories per pound (uncooked)

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-kitchen/calories-per-pound-of-rice-beans-wheat/

juskom95
10-18-2016, 10:46 AM
Cooking removes some calories, correct?

I'm not a big fan of raw beans or rice.

Inor
10-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Good luck trying to eat raw wheat berries. Those little suckers are hard as bullets!

Deebo
10-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Good one.
I need to get some bullion cubes, I have plenty taco bell packets and salt and pepper.
Gotta flavor up that rice.

RubberDuck
10-18-2016, 11:52 AM
So I bought some cubes for flavor an extra protein but turns out most store bought bullion have very little protein.
If you can get the ones supplied to hospitals they over double protein over the grocery store.

juskom95
10-18-2016, 12:01 PM
So I bought some cubes for flavor an extra protein but turns out most store bought bullion have very little protein.
If you can get the ones supplied to hospitals they over double protein over the grocery store.

What about bones after cooking? My wife saves those for stews etc. They might add some better (and healthier) flavor.

Disclaimer: I AM NOT A COOK

Inor
10-18-2016, 12:21 PM
What about bones after cooking? My wife saves those for stews etc. They might add some better (and healthier) flavor.

Disclaimer: I AM NOT A COOK

Bone marrow is freakin' awesome and is extremely healthy. Somewhere, in this mess of moving clutter, I have a whole BBQ cookbook on just grilling bone marrow.

RubberDuck
10-18-2016, 05:10 PM
I have read lots on grilling marrow it's very interesting and yes would be a valuable asset however not so sure about wild game I would have to read up on that some more an see if the same benefits are there as beef an what the quantity is as well.
I was looking for flavor an protein during a live off the land scenario in between the hunting harvest. The bullion was cheap and easily stored long term

hawgrider
10-18-2016, 05:39 PM
I have read lots on grilling marrow it's very interesting and yes would be a valuable asset however not so sure about wild game I would have to read up on that some more an see if the same benefits are there as beef an what the quantity is as well.
I was looking for flavor an protein during a live off the land scenario in between the hunting harvest. The bullion was cheap and easily stored long termSeems I've read somwhere not to eat the bone marrow of wild game. Maybe I saw it on MDNR ? I'll have to look tomorrow and see if I can find it. It might CWD, TB, EHD related.

RubberDuck
10-18-2016, 05:56 PM
I know for sure the liver is off limits many people eat it but being wild game the pesticides from crops an other contaminates that farm raised anomals do not get are filtered through it I will pass .

Inor
10-18-2016, 07:12 PM
Seems I've read somwhere not to eat the bone marrow of wild game. Maybe I saw it on MDNR ? I'll have to look tomorrow and see if I can find it. It might CWD, TB, EHD related.

I would be leary of deer marrow because of CWD. Which brings up a good question...

How much would a SHTF situation affect the health of wild game? I have no idea as I have never considered it. But maybe things like Chronic Wasting Disease would be less of a problem since the deer population would be decidedly lower if everybody were hunting them 12 months per year for survival.

azrancher
10-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Good luck trying to eat raw wheat berries. Those little suckers are hard as bullets!Not that hard, as a kid I used to eat some while I was feeding the chickens and ducks, not bad actually probably a lot better tasting than rice!

Rancher (and I still have all my teeth)

Inor
10-19-2016, 12:06 AM
Not that hard, as a kid I used to eat some while I was feeding the chickens and ducks, not bad actually probably a lot better tasting than rice!

Rancher (and I still have all my teeth)

You're a better man than I. I have about 400 pounds of red wheat and white wheat put back in #10 cans and even after soaking it all night in water, which is supposed to soften it, it is still too hard for me to chew up without boiling it first. :biglaugh:

It does taste good though - far better than rice.

juskom95
10-19-2016, 08:08 AM
I would be leary of deer marrow because of CWD. Which brings up a good question...

How much would a SHTF situation affect the health of wild game? I have no idea as I have never considered it. But maybe things like Chronic Wasting Disease would be less of a problem since the deer population would be decidedly lower if everybody were hunting them 12 months per year for survival.

In a 'true' SHTF scenario it might get worse too as the 'Urban Dwellers' move out and contaminate other areas.

hawgrider
10-19-2016, 08:28 AM

I would say stay away from bone in cuts. De-bone and don't mess with the marrow is my advise.

Does CWD pose a health risk to humans?
CWD has never been shown to cause illness in humans. For more than two decades CWD has been present in free-ranging populations of mule deer and elk in Colorado. During this time, there has been no known occurrence of a human contracting any disease from eating CWD infected meat. However, public health officials recommend that people and domestic animals not consume meat from deer that test CWD-positive. Some simple precautions should be taken when field dressing deer in the CWD Management Zone:

Wear rubber gloves when field dressing your deer.
Bone out the meat from your deer.
Minimize the handling of brain and spinal tissues.
Wash hands and instruments thoroughly after field dressing is completed.
Avoid consuming brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils and lymph nodes of harvested animals. (Normal field dressing coupled with boning out of a carcass will essentially remove all of these parts.)
Request that your animal is processed individually, without meat from other animals being added to meat from your animal.

http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases/0,4579,7-186-25806-355584--,00.html#8

Dwight55
10-19-2016, 09:11 AM
Does anyone have any kind of chart showing the caolries / carbs of rice vs wheat vs corn?

That might be interesting to look at.

May God bless,
Dwight

Arklatex
10-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Does anyone have any kind of chart showing the caolries / carbs of rice vs wheat vs corn?

That might be interesting to look at.

May God bless,
Dwight
I found these for you

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/5fb83871f1de92802d175785b11a327c.jpg