PDA

View Full Version : What weapon do you plan on using in your BOB?

Kfilly
10-18-2016, 08:30 AM
Mods, if you want to move this to the firearms section, please go ahead and do so. I think this post also kind of fits the general survival category as well.

I know this is a horse that has probably been beaten to death. People can also debate this subject until they turn blue in the face. This thread is not designed to start debates. I was curious as to what weapons people plan on carrying if they had to bug out.

My weapon of choice is a lowly .22lr rifle if I have to bug out on foot. I plan on carrying a Ruger 10/22 Takedown with five 25 round TI 25 round magazines fully loaded and carry an additional 1000 rounds of CCI high velocity CPRN bullets. I have made some modifications to my gun to make it go bang all of the time. Stock firing pin, extractor, charging handle and springs, and bolt buffer all replaced with Kidd parts. I also used a Dremel tool to make it so my bolt auto-releases just like any normal rifle. My rifle works even when dirty. Before people go on and tell me that .22lr has no stopping/penetrating power, and that I do not need 1000 rounds. When TSHTF, no one really knows what will happen. I can take down pretty much any animal in my parts with a .22lr bullet. My weapon has a low report. I can use a cheap soda bottle to lessen the report even more. At the very least, I can use it to help feed myself for a long time. Also, 25 round magazines do make my weapon somewhat of a defensive tool, and the non existent recoil allows for quick follow up shots. My weapon and ammo are also fairly lightweight which is a good thing if on foot. My weapon also breaks down small enough to be concealable in my pack. Yes, I could take one of my AK 47's, but the weight of the gun, ammo, and magazines add up fast. Your choice might be completely different. I am fine with that.

What do you plan on carrying? What is your logic behind it?

hawgrider
10-18-2016, 08:46 AM
I think this post also kind of fits the general survival category as well.
Moved as requested.

.22LR/.22mag Ruger convertible single action went in my bag. M&P.40C on hip on the last bug out trip I went on.

juskom95
10-18-2016, 08:59 AM
What do you plan on carrying? What is your logic behind it?

No BOB, but my GHB just has my P229 and extra 9mm rounds.
For rifle, my go to is a Ruger 556 (or any AR platform). Not really for performance/efficiency, but because of 'muscle memory'.

Kfilly
10-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Moved as requested.

.22LR/.22mag Ruger convertible single action went in my bag. M&P.40C on hip on the last bug out trip I went on.

I was not sure where it fit as it kind fits both categories, and I wanted to leave it to your discretion. Thanks for moving the thread.

RubberDuck
10-18-2016, 09:12 AM
Real scenario every gun an ammo I own will go with but but pack carry is a Marlin 22lr Heritage 22lr 22mag convertable six shooter an my Glock 22 40 cal. with 4 mags.

hawgrider
10-18-2016, 09:24 AM
Not on my back but in the truck if roads are passable long guns would include Double barrel 12 gauge, Pump 20 gauge, 8mm Mauser, lever 30-30, 10-22 .50 cal black powder.

Nope don't own a AR 15 anymore... I'll pick them off from 600 yards with the bolt action 8mm

DerBiermeister
10-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Ok -- for a BOB situation, in addition to the bag, I would be using this:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a260/Der1/001_zpshe35ftuq.jpg

It would be loaded pretty much as shown -- two long guns are my Ruger SR-556 and Ruger .17 Hornet. I'd leave the spotting scope at home (use binocs instead) and add in a 3rd long gun, my Mossy 590(SP) with bayonet. I'd also toss in several of my handguns that wouldn't be on my hip. (My Shield 40, my Redhawk 45/45ACP, and my Buckmark Hunter.) I'd be carrying my M&P 9FS. I would also toss in lots of mags and ammo for the various guns.

This cart fits nicely in the back of my 4Runner, which I'd be using as far as it would take me until gas ran out or an EMP shuts her down. So, if we have to hoof it, the cart is way better than trying to lug all that on our backs.

Kfilly
10-18-2016, 09:55 AM

It would be loaded pretty much as shown -- two long guns are my Ruger SR-556 and Ruger .17 Hornet. I'd leave the spotting scope at home (use binocs instead) and add in a 3rd long gun, my Mossy 590(SP) with bayonet. I'd also toss in several of my handguns that wouldn't be on my hip. (My Shield 40, my Redhawk 45/45ACP, and my Buckmark Hunter.) I'd be carrying my M&P 9FS. I would also toss in lots of mags and ammo for the various guns.

This cart fits nicely in the back of my 4Runner, which I'd be using as far as it would take me until gas ran out or an EMP shuts her down. So, if we have to hoof it, the cart is way better than trying to lug all that on our backs.

I might have to get me one of those. I hope you have a cover for that too. It would be a good idea to conceal some of that but still have access in case of emergency.

DerBiermeister
10-18-2016, 10:10 AM
I might have to get me one of those. I hope you have a cover for that too. It would be a good idea to conceal some of that but still have access in case of emergency.

Yes of course -- a full waterproof cover. The cart also folds up nicely if desired, but I always keep it as shown. I use the cover during the winter months in my garage to keep it free of dust, etc.

Sparkyprep
10-18-2016, 03:11 PM
My GHB sports a S&W M&P full size 9mm w/ an extra magazine. Of course, once I'm actually in a get-home situation, the piece comes out of the bag, and lives on my hip, open-carry style.

BucketBack
10-18-2016, 04:07 PM
I need to put the tubes in my $3 stroller, the tubes were $10

Jerry D Young
10-18-2016, 08:46 PM
Since I had to give up the PTR-91 and Remington 11-87 due to my health, I am down to just the Glock 21SF .45 ACP and Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP at the moment. I plan on picking up an Auto-Ordnance AOR-160 Choate folding stock M-1 Carbine clone with 15-round magazines.

Just my opinion.

Baglady
10-18-2016, 09:25 PM

Now that's using your head! Impressive! I love it!! I'd need one with 4 wheels, but it would be an easy build.
We're not planning on "bugging out", but if we had to hit the woods, we had thought to use our horse and/or wagon.
I like your idea better.

Baglady
10-18-2016, 09:33 PM
As to the OP's question, I'd also have my .22lr, with multiple mags and ammo. Hubby would have his .270, and his .38 special.
We don't have the money to buy assault rifles. I think we'd manage well enough with what we're used to.
Santa might bring me the .380 I've been wanting...

juskom95
10-19-2016, 08:06 AM
We don't have the money to buy assault rifles.

You can build an AR for ~$500-600. Not chump change, but about the range for a sidearm.

hawgrider
10-19-2016, 08:13 AM
You can build an AR for ~$500-600. Not chump change, but about the range for a sidearm.I hate AR's Ill keep my bolt rifle.
If I bought another pray and spray Id get a AK.

DerBiermeister
10-19-2016, 08:20 AM
I hate AR's Ill keep my bolt rifle.

Well, when you get one that is extremely accurate, runs cool, stays clean, has a Geissele trigger, and never misfires -- what is not to like?

hawgrider
10-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Well, when you get one that is extremely accurate, runs cool, stays clean, has a Geissele trigger, and never misfires -- what is not to like?They are butt ugly!

DerBiermeister
10-19-2016, 08:39 AM
They are butt ugly!

So's an Abrams tank, but it gets the job done.

hawgrider
10-19-2016, 08:44 AM
So's an Abrams tank, but it gets the job done.Hee hee he yup but I am partial to my 8mm with military ladder sights. Even with my eyes I can still make 600 yard shots without scopes, aimpoints and other expensive gadgets.

juskom95
10-19-2016, 08:52 AM
I hate AR's Ill keep my bolt rifle.
If I bought another pray and spray Id get a AK.

"Pray and spray" with a semi-automatic? :stirpot:

DerBiermeister
10-19-2016, 08:59 AM
As all here know, an AR-15 is really meant for close quarter combat -- inside 50/100 yards. When the zombie apocalypse starts coming over the hill, you'll wish to hell you had one.

Once they get past that barrier, and start approaching my deck -- then this is my weapon of choice:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a260/Der1/003_zpskvtj4emv.jpg

It's butt-ugly too ........ but in a strangely beautiful sort of way :hail:

hawgrider
10-19-2016, 09:01 AM
"Pray and spray" with a semi-automatic? :stirpot:Yes I have a fast finger and have dumped more rounds on a Saturday afternoon than I ever care to pay for again. 30 round mag only last about a fraction of a second in my hands.

Arklatex
10-19-2016, 09:02 AM
I'm bugging in. If we had to bug out and could only take a couple long guns I would grab my Mossberg 500 and a variety of shells. It can take everything from dove to deer. And the AK.