PDA

View Full Version : Stop-Loss reinvented?

juskom95
10-18-2016, 11:21 AM
I served during the era of "Stop-Loss" within the Army (and other branches). Where those who had recently separated were recalled to new units and those near the end of their contract were prevented from separating. I was nearly one of those, near the end of my first contract I was contacted by the Reserve unit I was going to; I re-enlisted, it was better.

I bring this up, because someone I was speaking with brought up the draft, and I thought: Would Congress attempt to re-acquire separated Veterans with combat experience first? Logistically it makes sense, as they have experience, though it could be a 'negative' if they have been out for five or ten years and gotten a 'taste' for Civilian life again.

Thoughts?

DerBiermeister
10-18-2016, 01:02 PM
I got out of the Navy in Aug of '65. I had always planned on serving one four-year stint so I could further my education in college. My first son had just died, and as this was pretty traumatic on my wife, I figured I was needed close to home instead of away on lengthy deployments.

Anyway, I had moved into my grandfather's home in Ft. Pierce, Fla in order to be close enough to attend Brevard Engineering College (which was morphing into Florida Institute of Technology). My grandfather was pretty much an invalid by this time and living with my folks in Mississippi. Upon separating from Active duty, I was placed in the reserves. My closest reserve unit was down in West Palm Beach, Fla, and as the distance exceeded 50 miles, I did not have to attend weekly meetings, nor was I obligated to do the two-week summer active duty.

juskom95
10-18-2016, 01:11 PM
I got out of the Navy in Aug of '65. I had always planned on serving one four-year stint so I could further my education in college. My first son had just died, and as this was pretty traumatic on my wife, I figured I was needed close to home instead of away on lengthy deployments.

Anyway, I had moved into my grandfather's home in Ft. Pierce, Fla in order to be close enough to attend Brevard Engineering College (which was morphing into Florida Institute of Technology). My grandfather was pretty much an invalid by this time and living with my folks in Mississippi. Upon separating from Active duty, I was placed in the reserves. My closest reserve unit was down in West Palm Beach, Fla, and as the distance exceeded 50 miles, I did not have to attend weekly meetings, nor was I obligated to do the two-week summer active duty.
That's a pretty rough time.

Olemiss
10-20-2016, 12:26 AM

Thank you for your service and most importantly I'm sorry for the loss of your son. God bless you. No parent should have to endure that.

Ricekila
10-20-2016, 12:32 AM
Thank you for your service and most importantly I'm sorry for the loss of your son. God bless you. No parent should have to endure that.

Yep -- you're still a lying sack of shit --- who ya fooling ?

RubberDuck
10-20-2016, 02:35 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161020/23cdd8d9bf5334e9d2b684307c3ea326.jpg
Your fake attempt to be sincere is pathetic an should chew lead by your own hand as apology.
Your reply here is disrespectful an insulting due to your comments about Veterans an their services

hawgrider
10-20-2016, 05:52 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161020/23cdd8d9bf5334e9d2b684307c3ea326.jpg
Your fake attempt to be sincere is pathetic an should chew lead by your own hand as apology.
Your reply here is disrespectful an insulting due to your comments about Veterans an their services

Oh burn ! LOL!