PDA

View Full Version : Slippy's Pole Barn Build

Slippy
10-22-2016, 11:33 AM
One thing I've learned with rural living is that you cannot have too many outbuildings. Slippy Lodge is approximately 30 acres most of which is on a set of 2 ridges with ravines and small valleys so finding level ground to build was a challenge from day one.

The first phase was building the Cabin at Slippy Lodge. We selected the highest point and I cleared approximately 2 acres for the house. That way no trees would ever fall on the house and I could reduce the amount of Autumn leaves getting in my gutters etc.

The second building was a 26x26' garage and carport located next to the cabin, that was part of the original 2 acres that I cleared.

I just completed the 3rd phase, a 24x24' Pole Barn located about 50 yards from house. The pre-fab metal trusses and roofing can be bought as a "Kit" from most building supply yards and for me Lowe's had the best price in a 50 mile radius. I'll add some gravel over the next few weeks or so and I'll be good to go. It is easily big enough for my 30 HP John Deere with enough room for 4 wheelers and various other implements/equipment/stuff.

Inor
10-22-2016, 11:38 AM
Looks GREAT!!! Nicely done!

Cricket
10-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Looks good man !

Slippy
10-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Looks GREAT!!! Nicely done!

Thanks Inor,

Took me long enough and if I can keep out of the Operating Room I'll get my next project done quicker.

My next project is a 4 Bed Bunk House with an old fashioned Out-House... but with a modern twist!

Cricket
10-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Hey Slippy it's you're old pal Operator6.

I'm sitting at wentzels eating raw oysters and drinking beer. Roll Tide !!!'

Slippy
10-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Hey Slippy it's you're old pal Operator6.

I'm sitting at wentzels eating raw oysters and drinking beer. Roll Tide !!!'

:beerchug:

My old Dad loved Wintzells (the original one). Last November I knocked out about 3 dozen oysters, some fried crab claws (best around) and about 8 or 9 Maker's Marks on the rocks at the Wentzells down the street from the Grand Hotel. Thank goodness some crappy little taxi cab took us back to the Grand where we commenced to close that bar down.

Cricket
10-22-2016, 12:10 PM
:beerchug:

My old Dad loved Wintzells (the original one). Last November I knocked out about 3 dozen oysters, some fried crab claws (best around) and about 8 or 9 Maker's Marks on the rocks at the Wentzells down the street from the Grand Hotel. Thank goodness some crappy little taxi cab took us back to the Grand where we commenced to close that bar down.

Good ole point clear. I use to own the house in that sharp curve at the Grand Hotel on the bay side.

Slippy
10-22-2016, 12:17 PM
Good ole point clear. I use to own the house in that sharp curve at the Grand Hotel on the bay side.

I think I know the house. I wish Marriott would invest some money into the Grand and get it back to its glory days.

Slippy
10-22-2016, 01:59 PM
The economics of building a Pole Barn are such that for a relatively small initial investment you can get your equipment covered quickly then work on closing in the sides and adding a couple of doors should you choose. Over the next year or so I'll see if I can find some reclaimed barn wood siding at a big discount then frame out the sides with some simple purlins made of 2x6 between the posts to nail the siding on. Closing out the doors and gable ends may take me another year but hopefully I'll have an enclosed barn in less than 2 years.

For now, my equipment will be dry and I can start using my garage as it was intended! :redhammer:

Inor
10-22-2016, 02:49 PM
For now, my equipment will be dry and I can start using my garage as it was intended! :redhammer:

I do not think you have ever shown me pictures of tablesaw and work benches. That is the purpose of a garage right?

Arklatex
10-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Good work pal! I'll be real interested in seeing how the outhouse build goes!

Slippy
10-22-2016, 03:18 PM
Good work pal! I'll be real interested in seeing how the outhouse build goes!

My plan has been to build a 10x10 Bunkhouse and two Built Into The StudWall Bunk Beds to have a place for guests to sleep. The Cabin at Slippy Lodge is only a 2 bedroom so when we have guests they are all over the place.

Outside the Bunkhouse I plan to have an Outhouse with a gravity fed water supply from the roof to flush a real toilet into a Home-Made Septic System using two 55 gallon plastic barrels downhill into the remote ravine on the backside of the property. I'll engineer it so that the waste goes from the toilet into the first barrel, then into the second barrel then into a PVC pipe that takes it to a series of field drains/gravel and dissapates into the ground away from all water sources etc.

My land is zoned Agriculture so I think I can pull this off without hassle from the government.

Slippy
10-22-2016, 03:22 PM
I do think you have ever shown me pictures of tablesaw and work benches. That is the purpose of a garage right?

Yes! The garage is big enough for my work shop and Mrs S to park her Jeep. The carport is for my truck. Right now neither of us can park under roof because we have 30 years of CRAP inside the garage/carport.

The Pole Barn will free up LOTS of space.

Being an owner of a small tract of acreage is GREAT!

Inor
10-22-2016, 03:38 PM
I hear that! We have a path about 24" wide through the garage at the rental house right now. Moving from a 2000 sq ft house that was WAY overloaded with crap into a 1300 sq ft rental makes it pretty tight! Hopefully we will get the garage at our build site under roof in the not too distant future and I will at least be able to move tools over.

Unfortunately, our original house plan came in about $80K more than I want to spend. So we are in the process of re-thinking how we want to do the house because I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want a mortgage. (Of course, I am of the opinion we do not need a 3500 sq ft house either.)

darsk20
10-22-2016, 03:48 PM
Awesome work. Every time I get more space I don't ever get rid of stuff, it just continues to accumulate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gambit
10-23-2016, 01:03 AM
looks very nice

Slippy
10-23-2016, 08:20 AM
Inor,

Building Materials prices have been steadily rising since 2012 even though nationwide Housing Starts are still way below the average. 1959-2008 the USA averaged 1.6 million housing starts per year. And in many years we saw over 2 million starts. After the housing debacle and subsequent economic crash in 07/08 the USA dipped below1 million starts for the first time in recorded history. Since then we have only seen about 1.1 million starts per year causing many manufacturers of various construction products to close manufacturing plants. In 2012 many producers of lumber, plywood, windows/doors, roofing, drywall, flooring, insulation etc began raising prices to make up for losses that they experienced.

It was contrary to the "laws" of Supply and Demand but prices have stuck. Dealers and Distributors of Building Materials have also been hit with higher administration/delivery costs and had to raise their prices accordingly. Just a few examples; A delivery truck with a crane that 12 years ago cost $150,000 now costs upwards of $275,000. Service on these trucks has also more than doubled. Fork Lift prices have also doubled and of course we all know what has hapned to the cost of healthcare insurance...

Bottom line, the cost to build a home is going up and will continue for a while in my humble opinion...

I hear that! We have a path about 24" wide through the garage at the rental house right now. Moving from a 2000 sq ft house that was WAY overloaded with crap into a 1300 sq ft rental makes it pretty tight! Hopefully we will get the garage at our build site under roof in the not too distant future and I will at least be able to move tools over.

Unfortunately, our original house plan came in about $80K more than I want to spend. So we are in the process of re-thinking how we want to do the house because I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want a mortgage. (Of course, I am of the opinion we do not need a 3500 sq ft house either.)

Arklatex
10-23-2016, 09:17 AM
Inor,

Building Materials prices have been steadily rising since 2012 even though nationwide Housing Starts are still way below the average. 1959-2008 the USA averaged 1.6 million housing starts per year. And in many years we saw over 2 million starts. After the housing debacle and subsequent economic crash in 07/08 the USA dipped below1 million starts for the first time in recorded history. Since then we have only seen about 1.1 million starts per year causing many manufacturers of various construction products to close manufacturing plants. In 2012 many producers of lumber, plywood, windows/doors, roofing, drywall, flooring, insulation etc began raising prices to make up for losses that they experienced.

It was contrary to the "laws" of Supply and Demand but prices have stuck. Dealers and Distributors of Building Materials have also been hit with higher administration/delivery costs and had to raise their prices accordingly. Just a few examples; A delivery truck with a crane that 12 years ago cost $150,000 now costs upwards of $275,000. Service on these trucks has also more than doubled. Fork Lift prices have also doubled and of course we all know what has hapned to the cost of healthcare insurance...

Bottom line, the cost to build a home is going up and will continue for a while in my humble opinion...
That's a big part of the reason the construction and precast company I worked for went out of business. The owner tried hard and struggled till 2010 before shutting it down and filing bankruptcy. The price of rebar, cement, etc skyrocketed and the number of jobs to bid on plummeted. Most of our business was centered around new construction of shopping centers, neighborhoods, and substations. Really sucks what happened.

Inor
10-23-2016, 12:05 PM
Inor,

Yeah, it is crazy. We bought the land in 2009 and had the plans drawn in 2010. When we had the plans drawn we told the architect our budget and he drew up the plans based on that. We had the same exact 2010 plan estimated and it came in $80K higher than expected (and that is without including the materials for all of the work we are going to do). WOW!

In the end though, it is probably a good thing. We designed the perfect house for Minnesota because we did not know any better. There are quite a number of features of our crappy rental house that we really like. So I think by doing a redesign now, we are going to end up with a house that is better suited to this climate and house that we will end up being happier with.

Baglady
10-25-2016, 07:58 AM
Yeah, it is crazy. We bought the land in 2009 and had the plans drawn in 2010. When we had the plans drawn we told the architect our budget and he drew up the plans based on that. We had the same exact 2010 plan estimated and it came in $80K higher than expected (and that is without including the materials for all of the work we are going to do). WOW!

In the end though, it is probably a good thing. We designed the perfect house for Minnesota because we did not know any better. There are quite a number of features of our crappy rental house that we really like. So I think by doing a redesign now, we are going to end up with a house that is better suited to this climate and house that we will end up being happier with.
Time to start buying hay bales, huh? I remember back in the 70's, Dennis Weaver built his house in the Santa Fe area. He used tires and cans to insulate his stucco walls.

RubberDuck
10-25-2016, 08:00 AM
So what is your total investment as it sits?

Baglady
10-25-2016, 08:01 AM
Yes! The garage is big enough for my work shop and Mrs S to park her Jeep. The carport is for my truck. Right now neither of us can park under roof because we have 30 years of CRAP inside the garage/carport.

The Pole Barn will free up LOTS of space.

Being an owner of a small tract of acreage is GREAT!

I thought you built that bunkhouse a couple of years ago. I remember you posted pic's of the outhouse idea. Damn,getting old, memory sucks?

Slippy
10-25-2016, 08:16 AM
I thought you built that bunkhouse a couple of years ago. I remember you posted pic's of the outhouse idea. Damn,getting old, memory sucks?

Yeah, I drew up the plans for the bunkhouse and found an Outhouse plan that I liked but something, I forget what it was, caused us to put that project on hold. I'll get to it eventually I hope...

Baglady
10-25-2016, 08:23 AM
Yeah, I drew up the plans for the bunkhouse and found an Outhouse plan that I liked but something, I forget what it was, caused us to put that project on hold. I'll get to it eventually I hope...

You built your shooting range. Have you ever thought about finding a house to tear down for the materials?

Slippy
10-25-2016, 08:33 AM
You built your shooting range. Have you ever thought about finding a house to tear down for the materials?

That's a great idea. I forget the name but we watched a few episodes of a show about some guys who tear down old barns and re-use all the materials. Old wood is good wood!

Baglady
10-25-2016, 08:52 AM
That's a great idea. I forget the name but we watched a few episodes of a show about some guys who tear down old barns and re-use all the materials. Old wood is good wood!

Yep. It's more labor intensive, but, you've got 2 healthy boys to help you...
Maybe you could find an old barn or shed. This time of year is ideal in case it's a snakey area. I figure your area is like ours, it might get cold, but hardly ever any snow. (?)

Slippy
10-25-2016, 08:53 AM
So what is your total investment as it sits?

Approx;

$400 for Bulldozer Excavation to clear trees/build up the area
$300 for Bobcat rental to groom and level the build site
$2750 for building materials

Total material and prep is $3450.

I used my tractor and auger to dig the post holes and paid/bartered two carpenters since my friends and family members who are nearby are all talk and no action.

In the next few weeks or so I'll get some gravel delivered and spread it for the base and driveway. A tandem axle dump truck load of gravel goes for about $550 per load in my area.

Slippy
10-25-2016, 09:00 AM
Yep. It's more labor intensive, but, you've got 2 healthy boys to help you...
Maybe you could find an old barn or shed. This time of year is ideal in case it's a snakey area. I figure your area is like ours, it might get cold, but hardly ever any snow. (?)
I should look into that idea.

But regarding my sons...You're half right...I got two healthy boys (men) but they seem to be too busy with their own lives when I have a big project. My youngest lives 150 miles from us and he works about 70 hours a week so when he visits he is not interested in working for old dad. Plus I decided a while back that our relationship is much better if we don't work together if you get my meaning!

Sasquatch
10-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Looks to be set in a nice cozy spot. Great work!

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.

S.....P......
10-25-2016, 12:03 PM
My father-in-law and I just finished up building a tack room and 2 stalls on his barn. He already had the poles and roof up. He must have said 10 time just a little help go's a long way. Heck, I don't mind and we get along very well even when working. It was nice to take a few days and just work around the property.

Baglady
10-26-2016, 06:00 PM
My father-in-law and I just finished up building a tack room and 2 stalls on his barn. He already had the poles and roof up. He must have said 10 time just a little help go's a long way. Heck, I don't mind and we get along very well even when working. It was nice to take a few days and just work around the property.

I know what you mean. Our daughter's fiance has been helping out around here lately. He's a good guy, (for a city boy)(!) Even tho he left the barn door open, and spooked our horse so it jumped on our daughter and broke her foot...ummm...he's been a big help...:bigthumbup:

S.....P......
10-26-2016, 08:04 PM
No worries there for me. I grew up around livestock. I'm not much of a farmer but can handle most everything else. I know my way around a shop too. Kind of a jack-of-all-trades if you will.