PDA

View Full Version : backpacks???

pheniox17
05-29-2014, 03:04 AM
this is what I'm after (more than welcome to move this to a better place just couldn't find one)

high quality molle style large backpacks, Google has been minimal help

it has to store a inch style setup, its a base to build from....

one of the styles I do like is this:
http://www.511tactical.com/responder-84-als-backpack.html

its far from the omg omg I'm so buying that, its not designed for intended purpose (wtf am I going to do with a o2 tank?? Lol) but a lot of the basic design elements are there

so in summery, any experience in high quality "once in a lifetime" give it hell brands that can help me with my search is much welcomed

(oh not going surplus as army always uses the cheapest contractor, and got on really good authority their packs have huge fail rates, they are good.. but ...)

Innkeeper
05-30-2014, 11:07 PM
What are you looking for? BOB to carry with you or keep in your car? Or a good long hauler for multiday camping trips in the woods? And if you want a good 3 day bag the US Army Issue "assault pack" from the Infantry man issue is an excellent choice, despite being G.I. I have been beating mine around for the last 4 years and it is holding up good without even breaking stride. It has gone around the globe a couple of times and been hauled all over this country through airports, fields, woods, deserts and anything else you can imagine hauling everything except the kitchen sink, but only because I had a good camelback. :usflag:

pheniox17
06-03-2014, 11:34 PM
so unlike Australian military, us military packs are of surprising quality, and its to be a base to a inch bag / bags

Imaexpat2
06-04-2014, 12:05 AM
While it doesn't fit your description in that its not a molle bag, I am using Bass Pro's Spike Camp bag which is pretty dang big and holds a ton of gear, exceptionally well padded and comfortable to wear for a long haul and its real tree or mossy oak break up Camo. Its the biggest expedition pack they sell in their line up. Cost was just a tad over 100 fun dollars. I have had mine for about 3 years now and have put it through the ringer with no problems as of yet. Just throwing that out there...

pheniox17
06-04-2014, 04:37 AM
just the type of info I needed, the tacticool look is not needed, or required, as I mentioned before the need is quality... and I know au surplus is "crap" that's the only reason I'm looking down that path :)

any other brands that anyone knows??

on a side note, its a family of 5 and I don't want any type of uniform between (to start with, uniform = organized, and want to look far from it)

pheniox17
06-04-2014, 08:20 PM
I do like the idea of the duel packs, main + assault pack, too many organizing pockets get me, but the idea is (I have seen heaps of lebe marine surplus packs on eBay of late) is the main is for camp, the assault back for just that...

like you old sf I will over pack, why cause I can but I don't want to over organise, the Alice/molle is another feature to add hopefully tools of my trade, and any extra omg I so want that packages, also I am going to get a bright yellow rain cover if I get one (turn a tacticool pack to a civi pack in seconds ;) )

but my focus is purely on quality, as in once in a lifetime purchase (I know no such thing) as that is my shift in current focus in this project...

but the flexible plan in this, 2 different main hiking/whatever large packs (90% ready to go) and 3 "assault sized" packs for the kids (all different) and a large duffel bag

the chances are kids will be at school when a event happens, so I have 15 mins to get final gear together (duffel bag) and off we go, this is more a bug out scenario :)

Just Sayin'
06-07-2014, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't worry about getting a molle pack, if you keep hanging molle all over one, you're not going to be able to carry the danged thing. I'm siding with Old SF here, a good Alice pack and frame will probably do everything you need and not break the bank too.

pheniox17
06-07-2014, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't worry about getting a molle pack, if you keep hanging molle all over one, you're not going to be able to carry the danged thing. I'm siding with Old SF here, a good Alice pack and frame will probably do everything you need and not break the bank too.

I thought molle was the next generation of Alice??

and the only items stored externally hasn't really been thought out yet, mainly my electronics/computer repair kit and maybe a machete, but the thought of items snagging in our scrub (au bush is not really bush, mostly scrub) is a bit of a concern and a large factor wile planning (this is more a sound board to clear ideas and get the right setup once)

Just Sayin'
06-07-2014, 10:15 PM
I got a promotional calendar from a company once that had a couch commando on it, with I don't know how many molle mag pouches attached to a plate carrier, and he looked something like the Michelin tire man. Even had a toilet paper roll holder on his helmet. You need what you need, but some folks don't think about having to move with what they're wearing on them. The KISS principle always applies. There should also be a KILL principle, Keep It Light Lunatic, but we all know that ain't gonna happen any time soon. The smoother your pack is, the better.

Imaexpat2
06-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Now I will say that inside my main Spike Camp Camo bag there is a small back pack I would use for short little jaunts to avoid having to carry everything. This allows me to leave my main bag back in camp and carry the much smaller and lighter camo bag on day hunts or to use as a quick assault pack. The one thing about my main pack is everything in it is in smaller bags and a pack to allow me to keep things organized and quickly get what I need in a matter of seconds and be ready to rock and roll, whether its cooking dinner for the night, setting up camp, sleeping or hunting, its all there and all modular. Its the one thing I learned in Afghanastan while in the moutians near Kandahar on "vacation".

pheniox17
06-09-2014, 02:22 AM
OK...Alice packs vice Molle. Either still redistributes weight from shoulders to hips with a frame. A day pack is frameless so feels like a civilian backpack. It is purely choices and comfort. I can hump an alice pack for a long time...mollie packs are cool but weigh more.....just try the damn things then choose.

I wish, can't take a pack on a 4 day test drive, so I have to rely on you guys for the trial and error :)

but thanks old sf guy, as usual your insight is eye opening :)

Innkeeper
06-16-2014, 09:37 AM
In my 21 years in service, I used the old Alice pack, yes it is a good pack fits lots and will take more as needed to attach to it. I was not so sure when I got issued the new high speed Molle pack on my last vacation to the desert health spa, but after the trip I was sold, the main compartment can be either a dual or single set up, the dual set up allows access to items on the bottom without having to take everything out, it has both a divider that allows things taken out of the bottom with out things on top falling down into the space, or you can leave it zipped down as one big space, but still has a front opening to take things from the bottom without going through the top. it also has two side pouches which can be removed as needed. The "assault/ 3 day pack" can be connected right to the main pack with quick release connecters allowing for extra storage or to take it off for a quick hike with just needed gear.

Also since retiring from the service I had to give up the free ruck , I have bought a High Sierra "90" Long trek pack that has so far been a good one so far, (only used it for a year so still testing it) has help up to abuse so far, and has many options. It can be compartmentalized or left open just like my molle pack, it has an internal frame instead of external, has the ability to strap my rifle to it for keeping it from getting in the way or allowing you to carry both a long rifle and shotgun, or any other combination. It also comes in varied colors, I went with black, but there are others which may make the kiddies happy lol. It has a built in rain fly which stows out of the way in the bottom, has a compartment for a hydration system or one can be hooked to rings on the top.

Hopefully this will help all I can say is though if you go with US Surplus do not buy the ACU variety that camo does not work, get either marine camo or the newer multicam pattern.

oldmurph58
06-19-2014, 02:16 PM
I just got a new army molle 2 pack to retire my alice lc1. I think the molle is a bit more comfy and its pretty darn big.

Innkeeper
06-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Yes at first I was unsure what to think giving up my old Alice, but yes I like the new molle pack better more room, more ways to access your gear, the pockets can come off if you choose. There is a 3 day assault bag that clips into the molle ruck allowing you to keep it with you and remove it when you just want something light. It is issued as part of the Rifleman's kit, so would have to be purchased separate from the ruck.