PDA

View Full Version : 5 Great Survival Uses For Whiskey, Beside Bartering

hawgrider
10-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Whiskey Helps You Staying Healthy

Whiskey can be used to treat/prevent swimmer’s ear due to its excellent antiseptic and drying properties (you can even disinfect medical instruments with the stuff) and it’s great to use as a medicinal mouth wash, especially when confronted with a tooth ache. Just don’t try it before a job interview, all right?

Since we’ve already started, let’s talk about whiskey’s health benefits from a scientific point of view. All types of whiskey decrease the risk of blood clots, help prevent stroke and dementia, and promote healthy cholesterol.

According to various studies, if you drink it in moderation, whiskey not only alleviates boredom but it will decrease your risk of diabetes. It actually destroys cancerous cells. This is especially true for bourbon, http://www.survivopedia.com/5-survival-uses-for-whiskey/

juskom95
10-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Drinking
Drinking
Drinking
Drinking
Drinking

I think that covers it.

Good article though.

Jerry D Young
10-28-2016, 05:26 PM
1. Helping warm up a person with hypothermia. Now this is entirely opposite the advice that has been given for the last couple of years by medical and survival experts. They say never, ever, give alcohol to someone that is suffering from cold temperature related problems. Because, as said in the article, it dilates the blood vessels, and tends to bring them closer to the skin. Now, when expose to the cold, this allows the heat in the body to dissipate much more rapidly than it would otherwise. So, it is absolutely correct to not give alcohol to someone in a cold environment.

However, if that person has been rescued, and is in a warm place, exposed to external sources of heat, such as a fire, a warm bath, bright sunlight through windows, etc., then, if one takes a bit of alcohol, and those vessels expand and come closer to the surface of the skin, the body will absorb that heat more quickly. The heat source has to be higher than 98.6F or the body will still lose heat.

2. Attracting and trapping game. Some animals, especially hogs, love rotting, naturally fermenting fruit. They will gorge themselves and become staggering drunk. This makes them an easy target for capture. So, if you can bait for game (only in the PAW, as it pretty much illegal the rest of the time), once you get game coming to the feed, add some alcohol to it. If it is not too strong, or tastes really bad to the animal, they will consume it, and if they are one of the animals prone to gorging on naturally fermented foods, you will have a drunk animal or two to go out and take for your own use.

3. Candle. It was mentioned that 80 proof and above alcohol burns fairly well. You can put it in one of the glass oil candle containers, put in the wick, and have a candle. Oils work much better, but that alcohol will work. But it does burn off quicker, and is harder on the wicks.

4. Fuse. You have to be very quick, but since 80 proof and up alcohol burns, you can often pour a trail from a fire accelerant to a point a safe distance away and light it off. If it is hot out, the alcohol will evaporate quickly. In cool temps it lasts longer. Just remember that this is quite iffy, unlike a trail of black powder or other traditionally used fuse materials.

5. Torch fuel. If you have one of the old gasoline fuel torches (the tool type, not lighting type), you can use alcohol in it as fuel. Higher the proof the better, as has been noted. You will have to adjust things a bit, and it will not burn as hot or with as much of a roaring flame the way a gasoline torch does.

6. Trap bait. For humans. There are many people that are not going to resist going for a bottle of booze if they run across one in a situation where it looks like it is essentially abandoned. If the situation looks like a trap, or they are expecting a trap, they will probably pass it by. But not always. Alcohol can be enough of a draw for a person to go to some effort to get that bait, without getting caught in the trap. So be sure to set things up so if the person decides to hang around and try to figure out how to get the stuff without getting caught, you can catch them in another way, rather than the way the trap was set up.

7. Hot toddy. Alcohol was mentioned as a topical medical cleaner/disinfectant, and even a couple uses internally. The hot toddy was not specifically listed, only adding a bit of honey for a sore throat. Aside from peppermint schnapps, which some people use as a medical item, a person can take just about any drinkable alcohol to make a hot toddy. One of my favorites is very good lemonade, sweetened with honey, with from a teaspoon of alcohol to a full shot. Depends on body weight, susceptibility to the effects of alcohol, and the proof of the alcohol used. Big difference in a shot of 30 proof something, and a shot of 190 proof Everclear. The first you would probably use a shot. The Everclear just a teaspoon for a child. If you use some peppermint disks along with the hot lemonade toddy, you can make someone much more comfortable and able to sleep. Many children are not going to want to drink it. So, you can do the same thing with hot cocoa. Especially if you use one of the alcohols that have some taste that is not nearly as harsh as vodka or Everclear. Bailey's Irish Crème, Irish Mist, Crème de' Menthe, or similar. (I have been known to REALLY enjoy a mug (or three) of Hershey's cocoa recipe hot chocolate, made with whole milk, with a shot of Irish Mist and a dollop of good whipped crème, just because it tastes so good.)

That is all I can think of off the top of my head. (I think remembering some of those mugs of spiked hot cocoa have diverted me.)

Just my opinion. (And I am very serious about #1 being my opinion. Check with an open minded medical person, explaining very carefully that it is only for a person that has external sources of heat to help warm them up.)