PDA

View Full Version : What If My Water Filter Freezes, Will It Be Damaged?

hawgrider
11-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Do you have a portable water filter? Do you keep one in your vehicle, perhaps in a GHB (get-home-bag) or BOB (bug-out-bag) or simply in your 72-hour emergency kit? Do you bring a water filter with you when you hike?

Does the weather freeze where you live? Have you ever wondered if your water filter might be damaged if it gets below freezing?

Maybe you’ve not thought about it before, but you should…

Why? Because freezing temperatures may damage the water filter element –
…and you might not even know it.

That’s right, the internal filter element might crack, and then when you go to use it – the filter will not be properly filtering the water and may allow contaminants to get through.

You need to check with the manufacturers website and FAQ (frequently-asked-questions) to discover whether or not your filter is susceptible to freeze damage. http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/what-if-my-water-filter-freezes-will-it-be-damaged/#more-47234

Arklatex
11-01-2016, 10:47 AM
Good article thanks for posting. I remember reading somewhere that in that kinda weather the chemical purifiers take over twice as long to work? Something like an hour per canteen. Just somthing to remember if you're thinking about going that route.

BucketBack
11-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Glad is doesn't freeze in MeatChicken

As I had to take the ice of the burn barrel lid yesterday

hawgrider
11-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Glad is doesn't freeze in MeatChicken

As I had to take the ice of the burn barrel lid yesterday
Already had Ice on my windshied and my truck door was frozen about 2 weeks ago. Sucks doughnut.

S.....P......
11-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Already had Ice on my windshied and my truck door was frozen about 2 weeks ago. Sucks doughnut.

Outside working this morning. I was sweating in shorts flipflops and a tee shirt before the dew had burned off. The only ice I see is in a drinking glass.

Kfilly
11-03-2016, 12:45 AM
I have heard that this works, but I have never tried it personally. If it was an absolute emergency, I would do this. Anyway, I heard one can take a 1" diameter 3" long branch of a pine tree and use that as a water filter. It is supposed to remove like 95% of all contamination. I still carry water filters, but this might prove to be useful knowledge.

I also carry my water filters in a ziploc bag (ziploc is to keep me from getting wet) I will keep close to my body when the weather gets cold. My body heat will keep it from freezing. I also will only keep brand new filters in my BOB as used filters will never dry completely and risk being damaged by freezing temperatures.

juskom95
11-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Wouldn't there have to be moisture inside the filter for it to freeze and cause damage?

Kfilly
11-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Wouldn't there have to be moisture inside the filter for it to freeze and cause damage?

You are correct. However, something like my Sawyer Mini I have packed in my BOB will stay wet for a very, very long time after use. If I had to use my filter in freezing temperatures, I better protect it from the cold unless I want to use it only once.