PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating backpacking meals

Arklatex
11-04-2016, 08:30 PM
Fixing to get into this and looking for some tips. Duck had a thread on here about spaghetti that I think turned out good. Here is a video I ran across that looks decent, although I'm not sure he used the right temp on his ground beef.

https://youtu.be/aGiupAj_ttI

hawgrider
11-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Mrs Inor has the tip for tomato based meals. Add some tomato powder to the dried product before you package it because you tend to lose some of the flavor during the dehydrating process.

I'd cook a meats to normal safe temps then dehydrate. Little or no fat like the video said.

Id like to try chili, beef stew, chicken soup, some Alfredo pasta ect.

Arklatex
11-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Chili! That sounds like a great idea.

hawgrider
11-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Chili! That sounds like a great idea.
Another possibility... maybe some northern bean soup with some diced ham chunks?

Inor
11-05-2016, 02:12 AM
Ummm... I understand wanting to dehydrate hamburger. I understand wanting to dehydrate chili. But why on earth would you want to dehydrate canned beans?!? They would still have to be heated and have water added to be useful, so why wouldn't you just store regular beans and soak them the normal way when you want to use them?

hawgrider
11-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Ummm... I understand wanting to dehydrate hamburger. I understand wanting to dehydrate chili. But why on earth would you want to dehydrate canned beans?!? They would still have to be heated and have water added to be useful, so why wouldn't you just store regular beans and soak them the normal way when you want to use them? Simple..... camp meals backpacking meals. Canned beans? Nope. Up here we soak our dried bagged beans for a day then cook em for a day. So already cooked thickend with the ham and spices in a backpack meal to eat on the run with nothing to do but add water.

BucketBack
11-05-2016, 08:04 AM
Inor and Hawg are both correct

RubberDuck
11-05-2016, 08:07 AM
I am making another big batch of spaghetti for gun season gonna try MrsInor trick with the tomato powder this time.
also adding some big chuncks of onion an mushrooms to this batch.

Arklatex
11-05-2016, 08:34 AM
Ummm... I understand wanting to dehydrate hamburger. I understand wanting to dehydrate chili. But why on earth would you want to dehydrate canned beans?!? They would still have to be heated and have water added to be useful, so why wouldn't you just store regular beans and soak them the normal way when you want to use them?

It's probably 100 times faster to do bushes bbq baked beans that are dehydrated than try to mess with soaking and cooking the regular dried beans and making the sauce, etc. You could carry a can but it's heavier and then you have to pack out the can instead of burning a bag.