PDA

View Full Version : What was your prep of the day?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Slippy
09-04-2015, 12:02 AM
Holy sheep shit Slippy! That is cooler than a really awesome cool thing! WOW!!! Get that restored, hooked up and pictures posted!

Nice! I want one so bad. I have a new one picked out for our retirement place but I'd kill to have one of those old one. I know hubs has welded cast before but he said there are some major differences and it's a b**** to get right. I know there are some good you tube videos on it, I could have him find a good one if you like.

Thanks Inor and Tks;

We're getting pumped about restoring the stove. I've heard that welding cast iron will make a preacher cuss so I'm interested in finding out what to do. Slippy Lodge has the perfect place for it, we designed a spot for a stove and haven't put one in yet. Free is so much better than not free!;

Tks
09-04-2015, 12:06 AM
Thanks Inor and Tks;

We're getting pumped about restoring the stove. I've heard that welding cast iron will make a preacher cuss so I'm interested in finding out what to do. Slippy Lodge has the perfect place for it, we designed a spot for a stove and haven't put one in yet. Free is so much better than not free!;
He said he'll have a good look for a video tomorrow. He's a high pressure tube welder (every weld has to be x-rayed) and extremely picky so I know he'll nit pick over them for you. He tried telling me how to do it for you, lol, something about its all about the preheat and post heat(?). I have no idea what he's talking about, it's Greek to me.

Slippy
09-04-2015, 12:09 AM
He said he'll have a good look for a video tomorrow. He's a high pressure tube welder (every weld has to be x-rayed) and extremely picky so I know he'll nit pick over them for you. He tried telling me how to do it for you, lol, something about its all about the preheat and post heat(?). I have no idea what he's talking about, it's Greek to me.

Thanks much Tks!!!

Pauls
09-04-2015, 01:34 AM
Slippy,
Does the stove have brass on it for decoration? If so you can have the broken leg brazed (which will be stronger than most any other repair) and then brass plate all the legs to match.

Welding cast iron requires you to preheat both pieces (500F?) and then weld them using a nickel/steel alloy that will never look like cast iron - it's shiny, smooth and looks like polished stainless.

You could use one of the other legs and have a new piece cast (sand casting) and then bolt it on.

If it were mine I would have the leg oven brazed and then brass plate all the legs to match. I would then look to see where the stove stays relatively cool and add brass to those spots too - like the door handle and the iron for the top plates.

hawgrider
09-04-2015, 05:21 AM
Cast iron welding rod for Arc Welding has been available for years. Ive never used it and its not cheap but Ive been told its works on some cast iron jobs. Certainium has the cast iron specialty rod.

Certanium® 889 Cast Iron Stick Rod Electrode
All-position welding for any type of weldable cast iron repair and cast iron to steel.
Superior Advantages
• High strength welds
• Fully machinable
• Pass-over-pass welding to save time
• All-position welding may eliminate the need to dismantle equipment to perform repairs
For all cast irons – even steel to cast iron
Tensile Strength: Up to 84,000 PSI
Hardness: 180 – 222 BHN
Polarity: AC or DC Straight or Reverse
Typical Applications
• Pump and bearing housings
• Cylinder blocks and heads
• Machine bases
• Manifolds and exhaust systems
Usage Procedure:
Remove grease, scale and other impurities from weld area. Bevel cracks or breaks (70° to 90° “V”). CRONACUT™ 1100 is the fastest and easiest method to prepare section for weld repairing. Use a short to medium arc at the lowest possible amperage for best results. Employ weaving technique or stringer beads. Peen to relieve stress. Remove slag between passes. Slow cooling to room temperature recommended.
http://www.lawsonproducts.com/Certanium/889-Cast-Iron-Stick-Rod-Electrode/P12006.lp

Slippy
09-04-2015, 06:48 AM
Thanks Pauls and Hawg! We're going to start cleaning it this weekend and I hope to get a better idea of what it needs.

Slippy,
Does the stove have brass on it for decoration? If so you can have the broken leg brazed (which will be stronger than most any other repair) and then brass plate all the legs to match.

Welding cast iron requires you to preheat both pieces (500F?) and then weld them using a nickel/steel alloy that will never look like cast iron - it's shiny, smooth and looks like polished stainless.

You could use one of the other legs and have a new piece cast (sand casting) and then bolt it on.

If it were mine I would have the leg oven brazed and then brass plate all the legs to match. I would then look to see where the stove stays relatively cool and add brass to those spots too - like the door handle and the iron for the top plates.

Cast iron welding rod for Arc Welding has been available for years. Ive never used it and its not cheap but Ive been told its works on some cast iron jobs. Certainium has the cast iron specialty rod.

http://www.lawsonproducts.com/Certanium/889-Cast-Iron-Stick-Rod-Electrode/P12006.lp

Reptilicus
09-04-2015, 09:09 AM
in answer to your question slippy yes it can be repaired but do not let anybody strike an arc with a rod on that leg unless you want it totally screwed up. I will post more later this evening because I'm not at the house right now and my phone has been kind of hit and miss. by the way nice acquisition

Slippy
09-04-2015, 11:41 AM
in answer to your question slippy yes it can be repaired but do not let anybody strike an arc with a rod on that leg unless you want it totally screwed up. I will post more later this evening because I'm not at the house right now and my phone has been kind of hit and miss. by the way nice acquisition

10-4 Nobody's touching it with a welding rod until I figure it out. We'd like to use it but it needs to have a safe set of legs. I've had a stove fall over while burning at a buddy's hunting camp and it ain't fun.

I've started to clean it up with some steel wool and wire brushes and take apart some of the easier removed pieces. So far its pretty solid.

Thanks Rep!!

Inor
09-04-2015, 11:56 AM
I've started to clean it up with some steel wool and wire brushes and take apart some of the easier removed pieces. So far its pretty solid.

Photos or it didn't happen! :biglaugh: (I love old restoration projects!)

Slippy
09-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Photos or it didn't happen! :biglaugh: (I love old restoration projects!)

You got it Inor!...Not much to see just cleaned out the mice nests and removed the removable pieces. Scrubbed them down with #1 Steel wool then cleaned up the rust residue with a mild detergent. Starting on the porcelain bowl in a few minutes.

Auntie
09-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Slippy load that beautiful stove in your truck. Then you and the misses pack a bag and come to visit us. We are having a labor day party so you can enjoy some great food. The boys and I will help with the cleaning and restoration. My neighbor is a professional welder so he can do the welding. Then you can go home with a pretty restored stove and have a nice trip to Colorado. My sister is great at taking photos so she can chronicle the restoration.

Reptilicus
09-04-2015, 08:31 PM
10-4 Nobody's touching it with a welding rod until I figure it out. We'd like to use it but it needs to have a safe set of legs. I've had a stove fall over while burning at a buddy's hunting camp and it ain't fun.

Thanks Rep!!

OK Slippy, First off I am not a cast iron welder, not my area of expertise!! But I stopped by a shop today after my earlier post and seen an old pard of mine and discussed your particular project with him. This guy is a master at brazing, been doing it for over 40 years and still going strong. He said that, yes, it could be welded with rod, but if not done absolutely correct it will eventually fail. Said the secret is all in the pre-heat, temperature control during the repair, and a controlled cool down, and that the brazing would be much stronger as the brass rod will flow into the pores of the cast iron and the weld will actually be stronger than the adjoining metal!! He told me to bring it to him and he'd fix it, no problem!!! Also said he had done numerous such repairs on similar items and never had a return!! So my offer to you, send it to me and I will have him fix it!!! No charge!! I imagine you will be painting it after restoration so after a bit of grinding and filing on the repair it could be textured to match the cast and with a coat of high heat BBQ paint it would be unnoticable!!! Whatever you decide, I personally and as Pauls said earlier, have it brazed!

Inor
09-04-2015, 10:58 PM
OK Slippy, First off I am not a cast iron welder, not my area of expertise!! But I stopped by a shop today after my earlier post and seen an old pard of mine and discussed your particular project with him. This guy is a master at brazing, been doing it for over 40 years and still going strong. He said that, yes, it could be welded with rod, but if not done absolutely correct it will eventually fail. Said the secret is all in the pre-heat, temperature control during the repair, and a controlled cool down, and that the brazing would be much stronger as the brass rod will flow into the pores of the cast iron and the weld will actually be stronger than the adjoining metal!! He told me to bring it to him and he'd fix it, no problem!!! Also said he had done numerous such repairs on similar items and never had a return!! So my offer to you, send it to me and I will have him fix it!!! No charge!! I imagine you will be painting it after restoration so after a bit of grinding and filing on the repair it could be textured to match the cast and with a coat of high heat BBQ paint it would be unnoticable!!! Whatever you decide, I personally and as Pauls said earlier, have it brazed!

Slip -

I am thinking there is a GREAT opportunity here. The desert is absolutely awesome in the late fall. I am thinking you and Mrs Slippy should take Rep and his pal up on their offer to braze up your stove. West TX is not THAT damn far from Slippy Lodge! I think you should bring Rep and his buddy Paul a few bottles of primo tequila and a few racks of ribs. I hear tell, Rep knows how to handle ribs. They can fix up the stove and maybe smoke some awesome ribs.

Then, once the stove is patched up and ya'll are fed up good, I think Mrs Slippy, Mrs Rep, Rep and you should all set sail west for a place I know in SE Arizona. It cannot be more than a 5-6 hour drive from Rep's place. Mrs Inor and I are going to be there the last week in November and the first week in December riding horses, drinkin' and having a hell of a good time doing cowboy shit.

If ya'll are driving over, you could even bring the guns (we are flying down) and I will pay for the ammo for all of us. We can all ride, shoot, tell lies at the bar in the evenings, etc. etc. etc. It sounds like the adventure of a lifetime to me... Just sayin'. :biglaugh:

(Maybe we can even convince Deebo to stop by since he is not that far from there as well.) OSFG, you and Mrs OSFG up? RWalls? Auntie? Anybody else?

Deebo
09-05-2015, 01:37 AM
Deebo had hurt feelings, until he was mentioned, and I can say that I wanna go. Fo sho.

Auntie
09-05-2015, 02:48 AM
Thank you for the very kind offer. I will not be able to make it this time.

Slippy
09-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Rep,
Good information, I appreciate it Sir!

Inor, Rep and Deebs,

I would be honored to participate in a cross country adventure, the stories told, the "Que and Alcohol consumed and the Solving of the World's problems would be epic!!!! I appreciate the offers gentlemen and one day we shall do it.

Yesterday was simply "elbow grease day". After breaking the stove down I only found 2 bolts that were stripped and easily replaced. All rust was removed and reassembled. One small crack in the top and a small surface crack in the "belly of the stove" was found. I originally thought the belly of the stove was enameled porcelain but it turned out to be cast iron.

Monday off to a local welder/blacksmith to see if he knows the art of cast iron welding and then coat the stove with Stove Black Polish to return its shine to an original look. Before and after pics;

Slip -

I am thinking there is a GREAT opportunity here. The desert is absolutely awesome in the late fall. I am thinking you and Mrs Slippy should take Rep and his pal up on their offer to braze up your stove. West TX is not THAT damn far from Slippy Lodge! I think you should bring Rep and his buddy Paul a few bottles of primo tequila and a few racks of ribs. I hear tell, Rep knows how to handle ribs. They can fix up the stove and maybe smoke some awesome ribs.

Then, once the stove is patched up and ya'll are fed up good, I think Mrs Slippy, Mrs Rep, Rep and you should all set sail west for a place I know in SE Arizona. It cannot be more than a 5-6 hour drive from Rep's place. Mrs Inor and I are going to be there the last week in November and the first week in December riding horses, drinkin' and having a hell of a good time doing cowboy shit.

If ya'll are driving over, you could even bring the guns (we are flying down) and I will pay for the ammo for all of us. We can all ride, shoot, tell lies at the bar in the evenings, etc. etc. etc. It sounds like the adventure of a lifetime to me... Just sayin'. :biglaugh:

(Maybe we can even convince Deebo to stop by since he is not that far from there as well.) OSFG, you and Mrs OSFG up? RWalls? Auntie?

Deebo had hurt feelings, until he was mentioned, and I can say that I wanna go. Fo sho.

James m
09-05-2015, 11:27 AM
I hear a steam train probably giving a scenic tour right now but I was just out and don't want to go down. I hear the whistle and the steam escaping and the clickety clack.

Inor
09-05-2015, 12:53 PM

I did not mean to leave anybody out. I was just trying to think of folks that live near there where we have a chance of a "yes" vote.

Deebo
09-06-2015, 08:38 PM
I'm in brother.

Inor
09-06-2015, 11:06 PM
I'm in brother.

I'll PM you in the next day or two with the dates we are going and the link to where we are staying.

TJC44
09-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Back to "Prep of the Day":
I got an older upright freezer that my sister had in her basement, that SHE had gotten when some neighbors of hers moved. I bought a new magnetic seal, and new feet for it. When I plugged it in, it cools off fine, but the seal would not close around the entire door, had me puzzled for some time. Fast forward a couple of months (today). I go back to this freezer to have another look at why it isn't sealing in the lower corner of the door. Everything seemed to be square. Just for $hits & Grins I disassemble the door, all the screws, take out the plastic shelving, the magnetic seal. I put the door back on the hinge, it still looks square all the way around. O.K., it's not twisted or sprung somehow. Lay it down on the floor, everything looks flat, o.k. I put it all back together there on the floor, then pick it up, and put it on the hinge.....Lo, and Behold, it seals all around. Hot Damn! It's cooling off now to see if I get any frost buildup, but I think I've just gained a snotload of freezer space.

TJC

James m
09-09-2015, 07:51 PM
I ordered the spring bars for my luminix watch. I took the strap off to change the battery and broke the spring bars. I had to order them from Amazon because I couldn't find them locally. $8.50 for two little pieces of metal delivered tomorrow.

Deebo
09-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Damn, what time is it...

MI.oldguy
09-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Today,I found $20.00 in the parking lot where we walk our dog!.along with some cash on hand,I went and bought some 5.56.couple of 120 round mini ammo boxes at wally world.

Inor
09-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Mrs Inor was helping her sister clean up some stuff from brother-in-law that died last spring. Brother-in-law was not really a prepper, but he did collect a lot of stuff. Today they came across an unopened case of insulin syringes. They donated most of them to the local fire department since they were unopened. Mrs Inor was able to nab a couple boxes to go down into our medical supplies as well.

Also, I found an old beat up folding Case knife in the park behind our home. It is pretty beat up, but is not rusted at all and opens and closes cleanly. It will take a few hours with my Japanese water stones to get the blade back in shape. But I am going to see if I breath some life back into it. The only thing that worries me is the tip does have some discoloration. I cannot tell if it is just something on the metal or if somebody tried to sharpen it on a grinder and ran the colors. But it is worth a try.

Slippy
09-18-2015, 06:38 AM

The easy part of the stove is done. It cleaned up real nice and looks good in its spot. I couldn't find a local welder who had cast iron welding knowledge so I just mechanically fastened the broken leg part together with a small strap of stainless steel.

Skill Level Needed; 1 out of 5
Elbow Grease Needed; 3 out of 5
Cost; About $20 for stainless steel strap and a tube of Rutland's Stove Polish. (Steel wool and screws came from my inventory) Before pics above.

Inor
09-18-2015, 07:24 AM
Lookin' good Slippy! Nice work!

hawgrider
09-18-2015, 07:49 AM
Yep looking good! A little elbow grease and some stove black paint works wonders.

Sparkyprep
09-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Bought new Redwing boots today. Expensive, but made in USA.

hawgrider
09-19-2015, 09:52 PM
Bought new Redwing boots today. Expensive, but made in USA.Best boots for the dollar right there! Redwing just started with a lower grade jap crap or mexican line can't remember for sure but the USA made are still the best for the money.

Inor
09-19-2015, 09:52 PM
Bought new Redwing boots today. Expensive, but made in USA.

Good choice! They are actually made about 20 miles from where I sit as I write this. I have two pair of Redwings and love them both.

Slippy
09-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Found a Cast Iron Stove Lid Lifter thingamajig at a local flea market for 5 bucks!

It fit my newly refurbished wood stove perfectly.

hawgrider
09-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Good find Slippy... it was meant to be.

Chain sawed the weeds from the garden. Nothing left in there but the Tabasco peppers. Next up till it then plants the garlic.

Inor
09-27-2015, 08:08 PM
Ordered 4 more bricks of .22 from AmmoSeek. Why? Because was available. With my other purchase, that brings me back to 15,000 rounds which is what I like to keep as my minimum.

Arklatex
09-27-2015, 08:23 PM
I've been buying a lot more food to put back lately. Everything from canned, basics like rice and beans, freeze dried and even a few cases of MREs. Reworked my get home bag as well and cut it down to around 15 pounds dry weight.

Prepared One
09-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Found a Cast Iron Stove Lid Lifter thingamajig at a local flea market for 5 bucks!

It fit my newly refurbished wood stove perfectly.

I thought that was a Doom-a-flauchy. I keep spares of those around for my grill and smoker. They can be hard to find for some reason.

James m
09-28-2015, 03:52 PM
I need recommendations on a keychain LED light. I had a coast g10 light but the tailcap doesn't open even with tools now. I suspect a leaked battery.

Arklatex
09-28-2015, 04:18 PM
I need recommendations on a keychain LED light. I had a coast g10 light but the tailcap doesn't open even with tools now. I suspect a leaked battery.
Streamlight nano is a good tough little thing. I've had mine for years now. Also works great as a zipper pull.

James m
09-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Thanks I'm probably getting this one but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has single AAA keychain light ideas.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009TC5XTI/

I like the durability of my regular bulb mag lites but I don't like the 1 to 2 lumens.

James m
09-28-2015, 04:53 PM
The zipper pull is a good idea.

RWalls
09-28-2015, 08:43 PM
Ordered 4 more bricks of .22 from AmmoSeek. Why? Because was available. With my other purchase, that brings me back to 15,000 rounds which is what I like to keep as my minimum.

Thats about what my .22 minimum is. I got another roll of silver rounds, $325 has been what my buddy been charging me last couple weeks.

Deebo
10-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Ordered Mylar bags, a sealer, and O2 absorbers to process and seal some rice and beans.

James m
10-02-2015, 05:46 PM
I dusted off my buddy heater for the first time this year. I have it going now because I haven't turned on the main heater yet. I'm saving that for tomorrow morning.

Everyone ready for that little hurricane?

James m
10-03-2015, 09:53 AM
I lit my main heater this morning. Now it looks like the storm is going out to sea.

Deebo
10-03-2015, 10:14 AM
No heater yet. Been cold, buy not heater cold.
Forgot to add, I ordered the wife a SOG knife, she has been wanting one.
Since reading one second after, she is on the serious prep team.

James m
10-03-2015, 10:20 AM
I couldn't marry a non prepper. To love, honor, obey, and prep!!

Inor
10-03-2015, 12:41 PM
No heater yet. Been cold, buy not heater cold.
Forgot to add, I ordered the wife a SOG knife, she has been wanting one.
Since reading one second after, she is on the serious prep team.

Congratulations on that one Deebo! As I recall, she thought we were "weird" because we keep salt in straws (in our packs). For her to be wanting a SOG knife is a huge coup for you! :bigthumbup:

My next advice is to buy a bigger house. If she is going down the Mrs Inor path, you are definitely going to need more storage space!

Deebo
10-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Inor, we got Shit stacked everywhere.
Wall to wall.
She's looking for a good backpack now.

Deebo
10-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Picked up a small safe yesterday, to lock away some ammunition.
Purchased her an iwb holster, that doesn't work. Going to probably end up with "the belly band".

Inor
10-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Inor, we got Shit stacked everywhere.
Wall to wall.
She's looking for a good backpack now.

I feel your pain. :biglaugh:

On the other hand, it is a damn good feeling to run out of something in the kitchen and then just go grab more from a shelf downstairs. The last time I smoked ribs, we were out of this special Hungarian smoked paprika that I use for the rub. I went down to "the bunker" and found that we have 11 more pounds of it there! (I will have pick up a few more the next time I am at the store.)

Good job Team Deebo!

James m
10-04-2015, 11:52 AM
I lit my furnace but I forgot to turn the internal button from pilot to on. So it was lit but not giving heat or fan motions. I realized about 7 pm.

James m
10-04-2015, 05:57 PM
I just ordered the mini maglite AAA LED lights from Amazon because I never find any locally. I also ordered a Ham radio guide test prep thingies. Gotta keep going.

Reptilicus
10-04-2015, 08:41 PM
I put in some practice today for when they make "Tequila Shots" an Olympic sport!! When they do I'm going for the GOLD!!!!

James m
10-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks I'm probably getting this one but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has single AAA keychain light ideas.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009TC5XTI/

I like the durability of my regular bulb mag lites but I don't like the 1 to 2 lumens.
The mini mag lites came in today! Great deal and very bright. The front spins to focus and I could see the light even about 10:30 am this morning in my living room. My only complaint is that the case doesn't seem to be made of the same metal as the old krypton lights.

FlyingSQ
10-07-2015, 04:22 PM
I refrained from telling a customer he was a **** and kept my job :needbeer:

Deebo
10-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Preparing for Arkansas deer hunting trip.
Next weekend I'll leave on Saturday, drive all day, sleep when I get tired, arive late Sunday.
Hunting Monday morning with my cousin.
Wish me luck.

Arklatex
10-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Next weekend I'll leave on Saturday, drive all day, sleep when I get tired, arive late Sunday.
Wish me luck.
If you pass through Texarkana holler. I'll buy you a beer.

hawgrider
10-08-2015, 04:07 AM
Wish me luck.
Whack em and stack em Deebo.

Deebo
10-12-2015, 09:49 PM
Just ordered a game saver vacuum sealer from Amazon. We throw out way too much.
I figured with a hog and two deer, I Could spend another hundred and step up my savings.

omegabrock
10-12-2015, 09:55 PM
I started getting my winter wood ready, more of a seasonal prep but it will allow me to save some money and buy more stuff

James m
10-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Going to take my amateur radio test tomorrow night. It's a bit soon but the test is tomorrow and the next one is in a month. So I figured I have nothing but $20 to lose if I fail the test.

BlackDog
10-13-2015, 12:59 AM
Going to take my amateur radio test tomorrow night. It's a bit soon but the test is tomorrow and the next one is in a month. So I figured I have nothing but $20 to lose if I fail the test.
Good luck! If you've done a little studying you'll be fine. I'm studying for my General now and hope to take the test soon.

TJC44
10-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Good Luck James.

James m
10-13-2015, 02:36 PM
I'm excited.

James m
10-13-2015, 08:07 PM
I passed! Thanks for the well wishes. They gave me the wrong test initially so I had to take 2 tests, the first was listed as a practice test with no answer key. I should get my call sign in two weeks.

BlackDog
10-14-2015, 08:03 AM
I passed! Thanks for the well wishes. They gave me the wrong test initially so I had to take 2 tests, the first was listed as a practice test with no answer key. I should get my call sign in two weeks.
Congratulations! You'll have your call sign faster than 2 weeks. Just keep an eye on the FCC database. As soon as it appears there you are legal to transmit. You can download a copy of your certificate from there. I don't have the Web address handy at the moment but will find it for you if you don't have it.
Mine only took 2 days.

James m
10-14-2015, 03:37 PM
I was told I could look on qrz.com too and it would be easier.

Deebo
10-14-2015, 03:54 PM
Got my game saver food sealer in today.
Gotta read up, Inor, any suggestions.
Good job James.

Eagles700LvL
10-26-2015, 08:06 AM
Prepped another 412k calories for long term storage.

200 lbs rice
35 lbs lentils
25 lbs flour
20 lbs rolled oats
12 lbs of wheat bran

BlackDog
10-26-2015, 09:40 AM
I was told I could look on qrz.com too and it would be easier.
Didja get it?

James m
10-26-2015, 01:32 PM
No, I think the main old geezers that gave the test mailed it in snail mail.

BlackDog
10-26-2015, 01:44 PM
No, I think the main old geezers that gave the test mailed it in snail mail.
Man, even if they mailed it, it should have been processed and posted by now. Have you checked the fcc database or just qrz?

James m
10-26-2015, 01:57 PM
I keep checking both. The geezers gave me a paper that certified that I passed the test but it says not to call the FCC for 15 days. They said to wait 20.

James m
10-26-2015, 03:54 PM
I just called ARRL's 800 number. They said it came in today and that it should post Wednesday.

James m
10-28-2015, 10:48 AM
It's in! And they spelled both my first and last name wrong yay! Now I'm off to program my radios!!

James m
10-28-2015, 02:04 PM
The programming cable Amazon sent me isnt compatible with anything after Windows 7. And the chirp software keeps chasing, was working before.

Arklatex
10-28-2015, 02:10 PM
The programming cable Amazon sent me isnt compatible with anything after Windows 7. And the chirp software keeps chasing, was working before.
Well that sucks! I programmed my UV5R with chirp no problems but I still have the old windows.

James m
10-28-2015, 02:13 PM
My old windows has a bios checksum issue, just tried it. They spelled both of my names wrong Ark, both! How do you misspell James? Must have outsourced that too. I even made sure to write really neat and everything....

Arklatex
10-28-2015, 02:17 PM
My old windows has a bios checksum issue, just tried it. They spelled both of my names wrong Ark, both! How do you misspell James? Must have outsourced that too. I even made sure to write really neat and everything....
No telling how someone could screw up the name James! The guy that issued the license was probably ancient and needs new glasses?

James m
11-05-2015, 07:38 PM
100 sit ups tonight, plus some exercises for my knees which feel better now. Gotta lose that gut.... You guys should follow suit with your brag about your dinner thread.

hawgrider
11-06-2015, 04:15 AM
100 sit ups tonight, plus some exercises for my knees which feel better now. Gotta lose that gut.... You guys should follow suit with your brag about your dinner thread.You do the sits ups Ill eat the home cooking. I never eat out. You eat fast food 3 meals a day. Big difference chubby LOL.

James m
11-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Okay tubby.

hawgrider
11-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Okay tubby.Hi James

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/247601/fat-kid-laughing-o.gif

James m
11-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Hi James

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/247601/fat-kid-laughing-o.gif
Is that you?

hawgrider
11-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Whats for dinner James?

Chicken and salad with homemade Italian dressing here. With a kicker of onion rings drizzled with Tabasco sauce.

James m
11-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Chicken and salad? You on some kind of diet?

Inor
11-06-2015, 11:00 PM
A really shitty burrito in De Congo Reagan Airport and a Delta snack box on the flight home, here. Thank God I was able to meet up with Black Dog and Mrs Black Dog for supper last night and had a decent feed! (They are the nicest couple you will ever meet!)

BlackDog
11-07-2015, 07:19 AM
A really shitty burrito in De Congo Reagan Airport and a Delta snack box on the flight home, here. Thank God I was able to meet up with Black Dog and Mrs Black Dog for supper last night and had a decent feed! (They are the nicest couple you will ever meet!)
Thank you, Inor. We had a great time and it was a pleasure meeting you!

hawgrider
11-07-2015, 07:46 AM
Chicken and salad? You on some kind of diet?No. The onion rings were deep fried in bacon fat.:headbang:

James m
11-07-2015, 12:15 PM
No. The onion rings were deep fried in bacon fat.:headbang:
Great tunes from hawgriders time.

https://youtu.be/y4NUZJMCJ20

Inor
11-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Great tunes from hawgriders time.

https://youtu.be/y4NUZJMCJ20

Don't be disrespecting old Rock and Roll you little turd!!! :soapbox:

James m
11-07-2015, 12:34 PM
That is good music. It was on satellite radio last night. I was merely comparing the age of the music....

James m
11-07-2015, 12:37 PM
My favorite band today.

https://youtu.be/l9VFg44H2z8

TJC44
11-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Hmmm....
Wondering if maybe we should try 'to get this thread back on track.
My prep of the Day...
I had an older generator that I had bought from the Fire Dept. a few years back that was excess to their needs. As old as the truck it was mounted on (1976). I brought it 'home' from my sister's house and started cleaning it up. Drained the old fuel out, cleaned out the bowl, carb., and line. Tomorrow I'll check the spark plug and clean it up some more. It's not big, just enough to keep the freezer or fridge cold, or maybe a few lights.

TJC

Arklatex
11-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Pulled the .270 out and set it by the door. Prepping to fill the freezer with venison. I'll be shooting from the back porch in my pajamas while drinking coffee. Gotta love the country life!

hawgrider
11-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Pulled the .270 out and set it by the door. Prepping to fill the freezer with venison. I'll be shooting from the back porch in my pajamas while drinking coffee. Gotta love the country life!
Your living the dream Ark!

James m
11-07-2015, 06:35 PM
I entered to win a Ruger 22/45 online. Then I saw where you can get more entries by sharing online, so I have 4 chances.

TJC44
11-07-2015, 06:59 PM
I entered to win a Ruger 22/45 online. Then I saw where you can get more entries by sharing online, so I have 4 chances.

So how about sharing with your co-preppers?

James m
11-08-2015, 07:38 AM
So how about sharing with your co-preppers?
http://virl.io/yVIoDNsE

It's from impact guns.

James m
11-08-2015, 04:21 PM
My prep of the was to try buy Alaska.

hawgrider
11-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Trees suck! Another run on the leaves. Chickens all ready for winter hot plate under the fountain. Burned down the fire pit that was filled with storm debris. Did a set of 12 oz curls followed by several 1oz presses.

Inor
11-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Mrs Inor picked up some dehydrated towels. I added a couple to my suitcase GHB. These things are pretty cool. They are a disk about the size of a quarter. When you add water they grow into a towel about the size of a washcloth.

Deebo
12-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Damn....twenty four mre, six p38 can openers, 20 feet bright yellow paracord, one cheap mess kit, and 8 boxes of trioxane fuel cells, all half priced, oh, the wife found a "pineapple grenade#, and two pairs of bdus for my youngest boy...army surplus store going out of business. Oh, eight bottles of water purifier tabs too.
Waiting in an Amazon order, has the wife's new backpack, a Sawyer mini, three SOG knives, three minilights, and two cookstove fold up kits.
Damn, feels good to have a prepper wife.

Deebo
12-21-2015, 06:20 PM
Vacuum sealed twenty five pounds of bismante rice, and ten pounds of beans, with 02 absorbers.
Gotta find a tote to fit them and the mre in.
For long term storage. Might go back to army surplus store, and pick up all the loose mres, I naught the two cased units.

James m
12-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Went to Cabelas. Looked at some $300.00 guide coats. And a $90.00 guide hoodie, I really liked the guide hoodie but it didn't fit. I saw a 127 gun 1,500 pound gun safe. Walked out with camo pajamas and a trapper hat that covers the ears, the rabbit wasn't so lucky....

Inor
12-21-2015, 07:16 PM
I picked up a gallon jug of soy sauce and a gallon jug of worcestershire sauce. After Christmas I am going to try my hand at making some gen-u-ine Deebo-style deer jerky. We made some beef jerky a few times in the past and it was good but it was nothing special. But my good friend Deebo has been giving me some coaching, so I am going to try it again.

Deebo
12-24-2015, 09:04 AM
Inor, I'm here for any questions... .

James m
12-24-2015, 09:58 AM
I picked up a fishing bag I will use as a car emergency kit.
I also picked up....
Zippo
Blast match
Storm proof match case with matches
Sawyer
2aa mini mag lite
Folding knife

I will package it with things I already have.

Merry Christmas.

Tachammer73
12-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Its sad to admit that the current state of world affairs and the media have brought a win to my household, but I will take it regardless. The Mrs. Has finally came around to my way of thinking and told me she wouldn't mind if I was to purchase a handgun for her own personal use. Not that she has ever been against having them in the house or me having any in my vehicle. And she has always participated when the boys and I went out shooting . She just want one for herself now:)

James m
12-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Congratulations.

I stumbled across some write upside down and in space pens at the dollar store. Picked up 5 including one as a gift. They seem good quality, metal too.

TJC44
12-28-2015, 02:40 PM
I came across this Stanley mini hatchet in Wal-Mart today for $7.??. It will go into my bag.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/28/8d1c7ec640240e461befea58f0dd64a1.jpg

Also picked up a couple of the little LED flashlights for $1 ea, and an extention cord that I fitted with a twist-lock plug for the generator.

TJC

hawgrider
12-28-2015, 03:51 PM
^^ Nice multi tool hatchet! ^^

Deebo
12-29-2015, 10:16 AM
My mom gave me a nice Dutch oven, and griddle plate.
She got the kids a tent, sleeping bag, nice blanket, and a lantern.

Reptilicus
12-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Picked up a bottle of "Patron" tequila for tonight's celebration at home!! I always stay home on New Years Eve, it's amateur night on the roads tonight!!!

hawgrider
12-31-2015, 10:34 PM
Picked up a bottle of "Patron" tequila for tonight's celebration at home!! I always stay home on New Years Eve, it's amateur night on the roads tonight!!!Best plan ever!

Deebo
01-01-2016, 12:33 AM
It was yesterday, but the wife and I purchased about one hundred and fifty dollars worth of meat, vacuum sealed and put up.
Today, it was case sale at Smith's grocery store, got twenty four bottles of spaghetti sauce, twelve each beans, green beans, creamed corn, regular corn, I think that's it.
Oh, went back to army surplus and got twelve more mre's at half price.

slewfoot
01-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Picked up a bottle of "Patron" tequila for tonight's celebration at home!! I always stay home on New Years Eve, it's amateur night on the roads tonight!!!
Have stayed home for years. As you say ,amateur night.

Arklatex
01-01-2016, 03:00 PM
I ordered a snugpak jungle blanket from amazon. It's supposedly water and wind resistant and packs down small in its own stuff sack. Some folks said it's as good as the old Hudson Bay blankets. Review to follow after testing.

mhans
01-01-2016, 03:22 PM
A friend gave me a 2 meter ham radio. I also ordered a yaesu R60R handheld 2meter/70cm dual band ham radio for my GHB.

Deebo
01-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Cleaning out the storage, situating, hauled off a truck load of donations, literally level with the cab of the truck.
Blankets, clothes, and housewares .
Gotta get ready, gonna try to purchase a new BIGGER place, with a garage... Damn it, Deebo needs a garage .
If we stay on this land, it will mean a new or repo'd four bedroom, then build a propper storage barn, with a seperate warm area, or,
Start new in a house with land and outbuildings.
Anybody got about thirty G's laying around, for a down payment?

Arklatex
01-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Ordered an ALICE pack and frame. Gonna test it out as a potential bob.

hawgrider
01-16-2016, 06:19 PM
Ordered an ALICE pack and frame. Gonna test it out as a potential bob.If your the correct body shape for it... it may do you well. The large Alice and frame killed me.... killed me bad. The frame did not fit my fat ass. I ended up with a Kelty.

RubberDuck
01-16-2016, 06:23 PM
Ill be getting my packs out an reorganizing them soon.
I'll post pics when I do.
I started out with a Alice an loved it but the frame hurt me .
The wife loves it. Her torso is much shorter so it fits her good.
I now use a Molle and have the asult pack for it.

Arklatex
01-16-2016, 06:23 PM
If your the correct body shape for it... it may do you well. The large Alice and frame killed me.... killed me bad. The frame did not fit my fat ass. I ended up with a Kelty.
We shall see. I ordered the medium size pack. The frames for the medium and large are the same size. I'm 6'3 and flex between 190 and 200 pounds. I'm hoping it's a good fit.

hawgrider
01-16-2016, 06:27 PM
We shall see. I ordered the medium size pack. The frames for the medium and large are the same size. I'm 6'3 and flex between 190 and 200 pounds. I'm hoping it's a good fit. 5'9 235 short and fat here so... if might fit you.

James m
01-16-2016, 06:29 PM
200 sit ups last night, plus 30 to 40 reps on each bicep with weights.

Arklatex
01-16-2016, 06:36 PM
200 sit ups last night, plus 30 to 40 reps on each bicep with weights.
You've been keeping this up for awhile now haven't you? Have you lost some weight?

hawgrider
01-16-2016, 06:41 PM
200 sit ups last night, plus 30 to 40 reps on each bicep with weights.Last nite I did 22 oz curls of killer penguins.

Inor
01-16-2016, 06:42 PM

I use an ALICE pack for my GHB. I did make some "adjustments" to the frame with a channellock so it is a lot more comfortable. The only negative I have for it is more about how I am using it. The pack is really too big for what I have in it. So the weight does shift around as I am walking. I may throw an extra change of clothes in it to help with that some. But I like that there are a million different adjustments that you can make to the shoulder straps etc. to make it fit you.

James m
01-16-2016, 06:49 PM
You've been keeping this up for awhile now haven't you? Have you lost some weight?

Building more muscles.

James m
01-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Last nite I did 22 oz curls of killer penguins.

Ok tubby the teletuby.

hawgrider
01-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Ok tubby the teletuby.So your jealous that Im happy being fat aren't you?

James m
01-16-2016, 07:03 PM
Haha hahahahahahahhahaha!

TJC44
01-16-2016, 08:01 PM
Last nite I did 22 oz curls of killer penguins.

Twice, judging by the flame war the Duck is sending your way!
LOL

hawgrider
01-16-2016, 08:05 PM
Twice, judging by the flame war the Duck is sending your way!
LOLHahaha yeah he will forgive me eventually. He has too.... He married my daughter Lol!!!!!

TJC44
01-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Hahaha yeah he will forgive me eventually. He has too.... He married my daughter Lol!!!!!

I just hope he doesn't post any more pictures of you.
I think OTP lost half its membership to blindness after that last one!
:setfire:

hawgrider
01-16-2016, 08:16 PM
I just hope he doesn't post any more pictures of you.
I think OTP lost half its membership to blindness after that last one!
:setfire:He's been holding on to that pic.... its not the first time it surfaced Lmao!!!

RubberDuck
01-16-2016, 08:28 PM
He's been holding on to that pic.... its not the first time it surfaced Lmao!!!
Brings tears to my eyes every time I see it.
That's why it's your caller ID pic

RubberDuck
01-16-2016, 08:33 PM
These crack me up too.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160117/c02197d288be1b39777a442ebf225f6c.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160117/c48899db87d65640922a9e915b3b8242.jpg

hawgrider
01-16-2016, 08:40 PM
These crack me up too.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160117/c02197d288be1b39777a442ebf225f6c.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160117/c48899db87d65640922a9e915b3b8242.jpg

Ok now you really suck!

TJC44
01-16-2016, 08:44 PM
And you two are going to be in an RV together?
No wonder that state is asking for Federal aid, they NEED it!
LOL

RubberDuck
01-16-2016, 09:00 PM
That's just the limo once we hit the woods separate shelters.
Our bugouts are as a out as rough as it gets. With the exception of a cache or 2 buried around.

hawgrider
01-16-2016, 09:21 PM
That's just the limo once we hit the woods separate shelters.
Our bugouts are as a out as rough as it gets. With the exception of a cache or 2 buried around.Lol that was epic the buried cache!

James m
01-16-2016, 10:18 PM
Prep of the day, deleted fake book.

James m
01-17-2016, 03:59 PM
Another 200 sit ups tonight.

Inor
01-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Went and got a proper eye exam. This is the first time in about 5 or 6 years. My prescription changed by more than 50%. No wonder I cannot see. Now I just need to wait a week or two until my new glasses are ready.

hawgrider
01-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Went and got a proper eye exam. This is the first time in about 5 or 6 years. My prescription changed by more than 50%. No wonder I cannot see. Now I just need to wait a week or two until my new glasses are ready.
Had good eyes till age 43

Its been 3 years since the last one Im due again. Can't see squat.

Inor
01-23-2016, 11:40 AM
I've worn glasses most of my life, but my eyes have deteriorated quickly the last few years.

hawgrider
01-23-2016, 12:54 PM
I've worn glasses most of my life, but my eyes have deteriorated quickly the last few years.
Welcome to old age my friend.:D

Deebo
01-23-2016, 07:26 PM
You guys following me???
I got my eyes checked last week, and a quick check of the " contact fit" yesterday.
New insurance seems ok, zero out of pocket, for checkups, and one year of contacts, that I can stretch for two years easy.
Replaced cv boot on quad, and more work reatrangeing the storage shed.

hawgrider
01-23-2016, 07:37 PM
You guys following me??? Where we going? I can't take my grandkids to the bar after 9 pm though.

Slippy
01-24-2016, 09:02 AM
Where we going? I can't take my grandkids to the bar after 9 pm though.

I've enjoyed many a milestone in my life...one that I remember fondly...was when our oldest son got his drivers license. Always nice to have a new Designated Driver in the family!

Deebo
01-24-2016, 12:59 PM
Headed to town, To get a bit of groceries, and jerky supplies. Gonna take the wife to an "adult only" lunch, maybe even catch a movie before shopping.
It will be revenant, or the Whale movie.
Possibly look for a clearance grill, tired of not searing flesh outside...

Arklatex
01-26-2016, 10:19 AM
The medium Alice and frame showed up. This is gonna be a good one. But the mofos forgot to put the waist belt in the box. So now I have to wait for that to come before any real testing begins. I'm gonna order some of the old style canteens with the steel cups and pouches for it. And the cargo shelf for the bottom of the frame so I can strap a five gallon jerry can or ammo boxes to the frame.

Inor
02-06-2016, 11:05 AM

I picked up my new goggles today! WOO HOO!!! I can see again. What a difference!

BlackDog
02-16-2016, 07:22 PM
I updated my contact and glasses prescription two weeks ago before I left for Colombia. The bad news is they found retinal hemorrhaging. Now I have to go next week for a laser procedure.

Inor
02-17-2016, 06:30 AM
I updated my contact and glasses prescription two weeks ago before I left for Colombia. The bad news is they found retinal hemorrhaging. Now I have to go next week for a laser procedure.

Damn BlackDog! Keep us informed of your progress.

hawgrider
02-17-2016, 06:37 AM
I updated my contact and glasses prescription two weeks ago before I left for Colombia. The bad news is they found retinal hemorrhaging. Now I have to go next week for a laser procedure.Never heard of it ? What causes it?

BlackDog
02-17-2016, 08:34 AM
Never heard of it ? What causes it?
Type 2 diabetes that I was also diagnosed with recently. Hopefully through diet, exercise and meds I can get it under control.

hawgrider
02-17-2016, 08:37 AM
Type 2 diabetes that I was also diagnosed with recently. Hopefully through diet, exercise and meds I can get it under control.

Damn! its always sumthin... these are the golden years they used to talk about ?

Sasquatch
02-17-2016, 11:28 AM
Made a new friend to keep my other friends company.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160217/e26294c7b5ac2e0ae22cd68f8d5fc029.jpg

hawgrider
02-17-2016, 11:53 AM
Black rifles matter !

RubberDuck
02-17-2016, 12:50 PM
I want that window decal

hawgrider
02-17-2016, 12:53 PM
I want that window decalHaha there ya go bet we would sell a crap load of them.

RubberDuck
02-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Haven't seen decals but seen these.
Going in my shopping cart.
I got a spot for that patch.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160217/ae8c3f7e6220e398d7b789663811c649.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160217/2b6e47a5916436aa76812e1fa8680788.jpg
Edit lol found it
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160217/8b2957aa8ddab2114871d68cc9ff5a04.jpg

hawgrider
02-17-2016, 03:55 PM
Haven't seen decals but seen these.
Going in my shopping cart.
I got a spot for that patch.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160217/ae8c3f7e6220e398d7b789663811c649.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160217/2b6e47a5916436aa76812e1fa8680788.jpg
Edit lol found it
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160217/8b2957aa8ddab2114871d68cc9ff5a04.jpg

Ahh crap always a day late and a dollar short.

Inor
03-12-2016, 12:50 PM
I got home from NYC last night around midnight and Mrs Inor had a present for me. She had picked up a Kershaw Freefall for $8 on the Amazon Lightning Deals! It is not one of the super awesome Kershaws. But for a made in China knife, it seems pretty nice and the price cannot be beat. I am going to try it for a while and if the steel seems okay, I will remake the scales from walnut. Right now it has these goofy black plastic scales that make it look tacticool.

But hey, a Kershaw for $8 cannot be all bad right?

P.S. I brought her a cheesecake from Junior's. Life is good at Club Inor right now!

Sasquatch
03-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Filled two more buckets with rice and beans in sealed mylar. Received and installed new laser sight and magnifier on AR.

Arklatex
03-22-2016, 06:13 PM
Went out and shot 50 rounds through my home defense handgun and 60 through the AK47. Gotta keep those marksmanship skills up to date. The more I play with that O-PAP the more dust gathers on my ARs... Mr. Kalashnikov engineered a very fine weapon!

Sasquatch
03-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Put 300 rounds through the AR dialing in the new red dot sight and 100 rounds of 9mm with my concealed carry weapon.

spork
05-21-2016, 07:33 PM
Planted 6 new tomato plants. I had a few that have just not done well and since we already cut back on tomato plants this year, I didn't want to be short. 3 went in the ground and 3 got dug up. The remaining 3 and the 3 I dug up went in buckets. I've never done the container thing before, so we'll see if I can keep them alive. Otherwise it's been more arranging and organizing in the house and basement. Lots of stuff moved around and put away, and a few things have even gotten thrown away. The only drawback is my wife found a couple boxes of unicorns and figurines that had been packed away....and now they're not.

Prepared One
05-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Got some range time in with my AR and 30-06. Picked some peppers! I have tomatoes coming out the ass. So far I have managed to keep all the plants alive. Picked up 5.56 and 9mm. Bought some more buckets for food storage.

hawgrider
05-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Got some range time in with my AR and 30-06. Picked some peppers! I have tomatoes coming out the ass. So far I have managed to keep all the plants alive. Picked up 5.56 and 9mm. Bought some more buckets for food storage.Must be nice I just put my tomatoes in the ground yesterday.

Prepared One
05-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Must be nice I just put my tomatoes in the ground yesterday.

I planted early Hawg since I live in Houston. I did plant the Tomato plants a bit to close. They are crowding. Part of the learning curve for next year. I am just happy I haven't murdered them yet.

Old_SF_Guy
05-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Bought another 1,000 rounds....shhhh..wife doesn't know yet.... and identified my next gun to buy.

Time to save again......

hawgrider
05-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Bought another 1,000 rounds....shhhh..wife doesn't know yet.... and identified my next gun to buy.

Time to save again......What firearm you looking at?

Old_SF_Guy
05-24-2016, 03:16 PM
Henry chambered in .357 and thinking a 9mm or a .380 semi for the wife.

rjd25
05-25-2016, 10:25 AM
23132314My Prep of the day today was to build my own benchtop power supply out of an old computer power supply.

hawgrider
05-25-2016, 10:39 AM
23132314My Prep of the day today was to build my own benchtop power supply out of an old computer power supply.What kind of goodies do you plan on powering up with it?

Old_SF_Guy
05-25-2016, 10:41 AM
What kind of goodies do you plan on powering up with it?
If he did it right...anything from 3.5 to 12 volts up to about 350 Watt (depending on the computer he took it from)...

rjd25
05-25-2016, 01:11 PM
What kind of goodies do you plan on powering up with it?

Old_SF_Guy is correct, I have to complete the connections to the 3.5 and 5 volt terminal posts but I can power anything I want. This little guy may be used to power my mobile HAM radio in the mean time until I get a better one with less noise.

Old_SF_Guy
05-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Old_SF_Guy is correct, I have to complete the connections to the 3.5 and 5 volt terminal posts but I can power anything I want. This little guy may be used to power my mobile HAM radio in the mean time until I get a better one with less noise.
You know what...I have access to so many of those old power supplies and I have never thought to do that with them....

Thanks for passing a great idea on..

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

spork
05-25-2016, 05:48 PM
23132314My Prep of the day today was to build my own benchtop power supply out of an old computer power supply.

I've been meaning to do the same thing myself. Maybe this will get me motivated!

rjd25
05-25-2016, 07:17 PM
Here is the finished working product. Works like a charm. 2315

Tachammer73
05-25-2016, 07:31 PM
Don't really think it qualifies as a prep of the day but I washed the Harley and went for a ride most of this afternoon...

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Inor
05-27-2016, 09:14 PM
I have the greatest wife in the world. We were in Cabela's this afternoon picking up some butane fuel cans for a couple of a camp stoves we have and I stopped by the knife counter to drool over the knives behind glass. That is, the REALLY nice ones. Before I knew it, Mrs Inor had called the sales weenie over and asked him to show us some of the Benchmade knives. By the time we were done handling almost every one they had, she had convinced me to buy myself an Osborne. It is a sweet blade!

Inor
05-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Here is the finished working product. Works like a charm. 2315

Heeeeeyyyyy! You're a geek! Well done and atta boy!

hag
05-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Bought 500 rounds of aguilla 22 today at ky gun co for 45 bucks. Also got a couple pounds of powder

Inor
05-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Bought 500 rounds of aguilla 22 today at ky gun co for 45 bucks. Also got a couple pounds of powder

That was the other thing that shocked me at Cabela's today. They did have .22 in stock. But they wanted $80 for a brick of the cheap crap and it went up from there!!!!

Arklatex
05-27-2016, 09:40 PM
I have the greatest wife in the world. We were in Cabela's this afternoon picking up some butane fuel cans for a couple of a camp stoves we have and I stopped by the knife counter to drool over the knives behind glass. That is, the REALLY nice ones. Before I knew it, Mrs Inor had called the sales weenie over and asked him to show us some of the Benchmade knives. By the time we were done handling almost every one they had, she had convinced me to buy myself an Osborne. It is a sweet blade!

Damn that's a nice knife! I just looked it up. I have a spyderco that is made of the same s30v steel. That will hold its edge unlike anything you've ever seen. In my opinion it really lives up to the "super-steel" status.

Old_SF_Guy
05-27-2016, 10:08 PM
Well I would have liked to say I added a 9mm pistol to the family collection however I found I live in a county with a liberal sheriff, in a must have permit to purchase state, where it takes 30 days to process a permit request...but I can buy an AR-15 today if I want, so there is at least that.

hag
05-27-2016, 11:24 PM
That was the other thing that shocked me at Cabela's today. They did have .22 in stock. But they wanted $80 for a brick of the cheap crap and it went up from there!!!!

Ky gun co usually beats anyone's prices around here. They move alot of inventory so I'm sure they are getting a good wholesale price. Had a sale on 9mm millennium g2 a little while ago. Came with two mags and some other little extras for $189. Guy said they sold over 9000 of them! One of them was to me, I gave it to my wife to keep in the truck but I was really surprised how well it shot and handled. Check them out on their website if you get a chance. Big inventory

BlackDog
05-28-2016, 05:25 AM
Well I would have liked to say I added a 9mm pistol to the family collection however I found I live in a county with a liberal sheriff, in a must have permit to purchase state, where it takes 30 days to process a permit request...but I can buy an AR-15 today if I want, so there is at least that.

You have to get a permit to buy a handgun?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Old_SF_Guy
05-28-2016, 07:15 AM
You have to get a permit to buy a handgun?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Yes, just plain old purchase of a handgun requires a permit you have to pay for each gun you intend to buy up to a max of 5. The issue I have beyond that is the 30 day wait. I thought states that had a 72 hour wait were bad. We are worse.

Gambit
05-28-2016, 09:07 AM
try getting a hand gun in NY its a long waiting list
http://newyorkcityguns.com/getting-a-nyc-handgun-permit/
and now there has been talk about making it up to 5-8 months depending it you have reported a gun stolen or not but I not sure if that law ever got passed

my prep today was my food stash
I am on a 300 cal diet so I broken in to my protein shakes

inceptor
05-28-2016, 09:13 AM
Yes, just plain old purchase of a handgun requires a permit you have to pay for each gun you intend to buy up to a max of 5. The issue I have beyond that is the 30 day wait. I thought states that had a 72 hour wait were bad. We are worse.

That's one reason why I love Texas.

spork
05-28-2016, 03:14 PM
A permit saves you about 10-15 minutes here in Kansas. There are some of the "big box" stores that still run the check even if you have a permit...losers. It's always been pretty quick but with my permit it is quicker yet.

hawgrider
05-28-2016, 03:37 PM
A permit saves you about 10-15 minutes here in Kansas. There are some of the "big box" stores that still run the check even if you have a permit...losers. It's always been pretty quick but with my permit it is quicker yet.
Some have been known to do that here in Mi. Dunhams sporting goods is one of them.

RubberDuck
05-28-2016, 03:59 PM

Time to save again......
I'm ordering another 1k of 7.62x39
next week

BucketBack
05-28-2016, 05:10 PM
Picking up 5 new Colt M4 uppers in plastic, 5 New Colt BCG's and 5 new Colt Charging Handles for $1K @ McDonalds Sundayhttp://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/aquahull1/SAM_0195_zpsvfjorn5q.jpg

Upper's are going for $165,BCG's $150, CH's are getting $25
Like this upper

BucketBack
05-28-2016, 05:12 PM
I didn't get all the packing grease off, but it went after the price dropped
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1549044_Like_New_Colt_M4_Keyhole_Upper_Receiver_an d_Colt_Charging_Handle_keeping_handle__Price_drop_ 5_26_SPF.html

hag
05-28-2016, 09:06 PM

I've never had to wait for a purchase even on hand guns. Takes me longer to fill out the paperwork than it does for them to do the background check. And that's at several different dealers. Must be different for different states.

BucketBack
05-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Picked these up from a Hawg Tri-Cycle rider. Too old to ride 2 wheels anymore he says. He has a stuffed baby Hawg tied on his hard saddleback
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/aquahull1/SAM_0200_zpscbiqoiv0.jpg

hawgrider
05-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Picked these up from a Hawg Tri-Cycle rider. Too old to ride 2 wheels anymore he says. He has a stuffed baby Hawg tied on his hard saddleback
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/aquahull1/SAM_0200_zpscbiqoiv0.jpg
No trikes for me. I'll go to a rat rod before I ride a trike. Nothing wrong with trikes or the guys that ride them but a motor scooter to me is all about the leans in curves.

BucketBack
05-29-2016, 02:31 PM
He had the conversion done at the stealership. The Hawg purists were probably snout thrilled

Slippy
06-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Hired my trusty buddy who owns the big-ass 900 Series Caterpillar Track Loader Dozer to clear me out a new area at Slippy Lodge for another outbuilding. This one will be a simple Pole Barn. Slippy Lodge is on a series of Ridges and is predominantly Hardwood trees with a small area of Pine Forest..for lack of a better explanation.

8 hours later, we had a nice flat area to build the barn as well as a drive into/out of and around the barn. I'll try and get some pics but right now it is still 90+ degrees and I'm sweating like a whore in church! Funny thing, all I did was stand around and point...or ride around on my 4 wheeler while the dozer operator did his thing!

I need a big ass 900 series Caterpillar Track Dozer...:hotchick:

Inor
06-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Hired my trusty buddy who owns the big-ass 900 Series Caterpillar Track Loader Dozer to clear me out a new area at Slippy Lodge for another outbuilding. This one will be a simple Pole Barn. Slippy Lodge is on a series of Ridges and is predominantly Hardwood trees with a small area of Pine Forest..for lack of a better explanation.

8 hours later, we had a nice flat area to build the barn as well as a drive into/out of and around the barn. I'll try and get some pics but right now it is still 90+ degrees and I'm sweating like a whore in church! Funny thing, all I did was stand around and point...or ride around on my 4 wheeler while the dozer operator did his thing!

I need a big ass 900 series Caterpillar Track Dozer...:hotchick:

Pictures! I NEED pictures! I love to follow along as folks do construction projects!

Kfilly
01-29-2017, 10:59 AM
I just received my new bug out bag. It is a Karrimor SF Sabre 60-100 with a set of Karrimor Sabre PLCE pouches. I am also awaiting shipment of my Karrimor SF Sabre 45, a set of Predator PLCE pouches, and their yoke system. Once I get all of my stuff, I will do a full review with pictures. My Sabre 60-100 is the best backpack I have ever owned or seen. You will want to check out my review if you are in need of a heavy duty backpack!

hawgrider
01-29-2017, 11:00 AM
I just received my new bug out bag. It is a Karrimor SF Sabre 60-100 with a set of Karrimor Sabre PLCE pouches. I am also awaiting shipment of my Karrimor SF Sabre 45, a set of Predator PLCE pouches, and their yoke system. Once I get all of my stuff, I will do a full review with pictures. My Sabre 60-100 is the best backpack I have ever owned or seen. You will want to check out my review if you are in need of a heavy duty backpack!

Looking forward to the review.

Kfilly
01-29-2017, 11:50 AM
Looking forward to the review.

Hopefully, I should get my 45 liter pack and my other set of side pouches sometime early this week. All of my packages are finally in the hands of the USPS after getting shipped across the pond. ;-)

PS-I ordered my backpacks from Amazon. I have been the only one to review the Karrimor SF Saber 60-100 on Amazon. However, I did not post pictures there or explain some of the reasoning behind this purchase on Amazon.

hawgrider
01-29-2017, 12:02 PM
Hopefully, I should get my 45 liter pack and my other set of side pouches sometime early this week. All of my packages are finally in the hands of the USPS after getting shipped across the pond. ;-)
I've got a Kelty external frame pack. Its very comfortable but trying to stay under 50 lbs for a INCH bag has been a challenge. Now with a back injury I'd have to get it under 25 and thats probably over optimistic.

A Watchman
01-29-2017, 01:11 PM

Well do tell more and do that review w pics/video!

Kfilly
01-29-2017, 01:27 PM
Hawgrider, I used to be all about pack weight myself. However, this pack taught me a very valuable lesson. It is not just about the weight of the pack. What one also has to consider is how well the pack transfers weight to the hips. This particular pack has tons of adjustments. I can adjust the height of the back frame specifically for my torso length, and I can do that while wearing the pack fully loaded. The shoulder and waist strap have tons of adjustment. The reason I opted for this pack over their 75 liter model is strictly because of the back height adjustment. I can easily make this pack transfer all of the weight to my hips. The suspension system is what really makes this pack. I felt like I could have run with this pack on loaded with seventy pounds. I also want to add my bag is more of an INCH bag as well.

Hawgrider, you also might want to consider a bug out/INCH cart with your weight restriction. If you were looking towards a new backpack, the Karrimor SF Sabre 45 might be more your speed. You can make that a 70 liter pack by adding two Sabre PLCE pouches so capacity should not be an issue.

hawgrider
01-29-2017, 02:38 PM
Hawgrider, I used to be all about pack weight myself. However, this pack taught me a very valuable lesson. It is not just about the weight of the pack. What one also has to consider is how well the pack transfers weight to the hips. This particular pack has tons of adjustments. I can adjust the height of the back frame specifically for my torso length, and I can do that while wearing the pack fully loaded. The shoulder and waist strap have tons of adjustment. The reason I opted for this pack over their 75 liter model is strictly because of the back height adjustment. I can easily make this pack transfer all of the weight to my hips. The suspension system is what really makes this pack. I felt like I could have run with this pack on loaded with seventy pounds. I also want to add my bag is more of an INCH bag as well.

Hawgrider, you also might want to consider a bug out/INCH cart with your weight restriction. If you were looking towards a new backpack, the Karrimor SF Sabre 45 might be more your speed. You can make that a 70 liter pack by adding two Sabre PLCE pouches so capacity should not be an issue.
The Kelty is similar as far as adjust to torso and adjust load. Its part of the reason I bought this one. I have a deer cart I could use. My thought at the time was the external frame can be removed and used to haul things like wood, water etc. once at a location. This is the beast I have-

Whats cool is the weight can be takin right off the shoulders on this one.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/Things/29904d1374775475-fs-kelty-cache-meat-hauler-external-frame-pack-profile-pack_zpsltpxgrvf.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/Things/29904d1374775475-fs-kelty-cache-meat-hauler-external-frame-pack-profile-pack_zpsltpxgrvf.jpg.html)

Sparkyprep
01-29-2017, 03:00 PM
Just got done installing my new gun safe. Liberty Franklin 27. Made in the USA, and a good product. I recommend it whole-heartedly.

hawgrider
01-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Just got done installing my new gun safe. Liberty Franklin 27. Made in the USA, and a good product. I recommend it whole-heartedly.
Is that one of those 800 Lbs beasts?

Kfilly
01-29-2017, 03:06 PM

I will do that when I receive my other pack and removeable pockets. I will have pictures of it set up in different configurations.

Sparkyprep
01-29-2017, 04:10 PM
Is that one of those 800 Lbs beasts?

Unloaded weight is 790 lbs. Its a lot heavier now. Lol.

hawgrider
01-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Unloaded weight is 790 lbs. Its a lot heavier now. Lol.Sweet! Hard to walk away with that one lol!

Kfilly
01-29-2017, 07:28 PM

If you have not seen yet, I did a review of my new pack. I highly recommend checking out Karrimor SF Saber packs.

Kfilly
02-26-2017, 05:58 AM
Paid part of my Amazon credit card down. It is interest free, I but I abhor having debt. At least, this debt went to preps.

TJC44
02-26-2017, 08:56 PM
I have finally managed to get 1 prep item I had been wanting for some time. A HF amateur radio. This will enable long range communications, and provide me with information on other parts of the US and the world if other means fail. The unit I bought, yes, off Fleabay :bounce: is a Yaesu FT757GX. It is more compact than I thought, and transistorized, as opposed to being the "boat anchor" that some older ham radios are. I received it Saturday, and was able to verify that it can receive. I am waiting on a couple of new RF cables before I test the power output of the unit. I have been itching to get back on the air. Now I can.

TJC
N1IUF

Radio
03-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Just finished up Mylaring (Sp?) rice yesterday. I had the 25lb. bags I got from LDS a few months ago. Kept putting it off. I try and make sure I have a years worth of food and supplies at all times. Some things it works out that way, and some things it don't.

Tachammer73
03-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Went to our local volunteer fire departments annual consignment auction and found a usa made sharp finger just like the one I lost 20 years agohttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170319/8f60ecc704ac65b8557cd973160faada.jpg

Tachammer73
03-18-2017, 09:40 PM
Got it for 14 dollars

Walter Tyler
03-20-2017, 12:50 PM
I poured over 60#s of Cold Process Soap this weekend...

Arklatex
03-24-2017, 11:56 AM
Scored these shelves at a garage sale for $10 each.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/4fdcc8ff217e699ada2bf19422438c5a.jpg

Deebo
03-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Al little late, but these and two more good flashlights were added to "the kit"

Deebo
03-24-2017, 06:58 PM
scored these shelves at a garage sale for $10 each.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/4fdcc8ff217e699ada2bf19422438c5a.jpg
score...

Kfilly
03-24-2017, 08:41 PM
I ordered Ruffwear sleeping bag for my dogs. My one dog also got a new MOLLE backpack so that she can carry her sleeping bag if we have to bug out on foot.

RubberDuck
03-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Just ordered a Becker bk2
and custom leather sheath with a altoids box pouch
vertical or horizontal carry.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170326/d1fba5a9f6fbec4ca3fb54aa5bca83f3.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170326/9d2066f1e5931075e43b54cea42db631.jpg

hawgrider
03-26-2017, 04:04 PM

Sweet! You can break that thing in during our spring bug out trip.

Kfilly
03-26-2017, 06:03 PM

Get some Jasco adhesive remover. You can spray that stuff right onto the black coating of the knife. The coating will bubble off in a few minutes. That makes the knife better as a fire steel striker and also makes it safer for cutting game animals. I did not treat the handle area on my knife as I wanted the coating to protect that part of the knife from rust. Just keep the blade oiled and you will be good. Olive oil is a good to coat the blade.

RubberDuck
03-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Get some Jasco adhesive remover. You can spray that stuff right onto the black coating of the knife. The coating will bubble off in a few minutes. That makes the knife better as a fire steel striker and also makes it safer for cutting game animals. I did not treat the handle area on my knife as I wanted the coating to protect that part of the knife from rust. Just keep the blade oiled and you will be good. Olive oil is a good to coat the blade.
I prefer to leave the coating on for rust protection. I have plenty of fire steel strikers and game knives however I don't see the coating being much of a issue in game processing.

Edit now I can see this as a option for when it it gets beat up and the finish gets worn-out to strip it down.

RubberDuck
03-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Repurposing my empty bottles.
got 6 of those oil wicks for $2 free shipping on Ebay cool little lamps for outside will fill a few with off oil too.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170329/cc1a89aa566c46e6a6087a611e4328cd.jpg

hawgrider
03-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Repurposing my empty bottles.
got 6 of those oil wicks for $2 free shipping on Ebay cool little lamps for outside will fill a few with off oil too.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170329/cc1a89aa566c46e6a6087a611e4328cd.jpg

Those turned out great!

RubberDuck
03-28-2017, 07:40 PM
Got plans to make some bigger ones that can be used indoors just tryings to figsure out the wick mounting with globes.

Walter Tyler
03-29-2017, 12:10 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/WalterTyler/20170328_173203%20copy_zpsstxwq7ei.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/WalterTyler/20170328_175234%20copy_zpspfzewnmu.jpg

Cleaned out the Bridge gettin ready for the Rains headed my way tonight... Fuckin BEAVERS...

hawgrider
03-29-2017, 12:16 PM
Damn... they had that plugged up!

Walter Tyler
03-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Damn... they had that plugged up!

Ohh... Ive had worse:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/WalterTyler/20150621_114652%20copy_zps74baobol.jpg

Walter Tyler
04-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Genset Maintenance this Weekend... Drain and Refill Oil... 28 hours on it.
I lift it with the FEL on the Tractor... I use the ShopVac and an empty oil jug to "suck" the oil and metal fillings out.
Makes quick work of the job. I am ready to rock for the April showers brings May poweroutages crap.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/WalterTyler/20170401_150126%20copy_zpsw2vibqew.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/WalterTyler/20170401_145950%20copy_zpstkgndbxf.jpg

hawgrider
04-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Thats a bigun! I use a 5500 run 8500 surge that runs my whole house including central AC

Nice generator!

Walter Tyler
04-03-2017, 11:07 AM
I got a well pump... Takes a lot of juice on start up. Oh and Sparkle (wife) likes her A/C (5ton unit)
It also charges the Battery "Banks" (UPS with Larger Batteries) faster.
I have a lil harbor freight inverter genset (2Kw)for running stuff at night. Its the cheap "honda" version.

hawgrider
04-03-2017, 11:21 AM
I got a well pump... Takes a lot of juice on start up. Oh and Sparkle (wife) likes her A/C (5ton unit)
It also charges the Battery "Banks" (UPS with Larger Batteries) faster.
I have a lil harbor freight inverter genset (2Kw)for running stuff at night. Its the cheap "honda" version.

I'm on a submersible well at about 55 ft deep. But my AC is only 2 ton

Kfilly
04-13-2017, 09:05 AM
Just ordered a Becker BK7 (to pair with BK2, BK9, and BK13). In addition, I ordered some new firesteel rods. I will have to test those out.

I also ordered a couple Katadyne portable inline carbon filters for family bug out bags. Those filters will replace the Platypus Carbon Elements I bought. The Katydine ones come apart and can be filled with blackened ash from a fire in the field to keep them going.

Kfilly
04-13-2017, 09:14 AM
Genset Maintenance this Weekend... Drain and Refill Oil... 28 hours on it.
I lift it with the FEL on the Tractor... I use the ShopVac and an empty oil jug to "suck" the oil and metal fillings out.
Makes quick work of the job. I am ready to rock for the April showers brings May poweroutages crap.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/WalterTyler/20170401_150126%20copy_zpsw2vibqew.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/WalterTyler/20170401_145950%20copy_zpstkgndbxf.jpg

That is a nice generator. One of my friends bought a military surplus generator. It runs on diesel so he can easily store fuel for it. His is a very large model. I do not know how many watts it is rated for though. His also had very low hours on it.

hawgrider
05-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Prepping for BBQ. Finally on sale at Meijer $9.99 for two 18.6 lbs bags limit two. More on the next trip. Regular price is ridiculously higher than a kite.
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/Things/20170521_140955_zpswfhdsjyj.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/Things/20170521_140955_zpswfhdsjyj.jpg.html)

Deebo
05-22-2017, 09:14 AM
Picked up a "wagner no 9" drip top baster cast iron dutch oven, for $30 at the flea market.

slewfoot
05-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Prepping for BBQ. Finally on sale at Meijer $9.99 for two 18.6 lbs bags limit two. More on the next trip. Regular price is ridiculously higher than a kite.
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/Things/20170521_140955_zpswfhdsjyj.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/Things/20170521_140955_zpswfhdsjyj.jpg.html)
Dang hawg, that's a good buy I just bought 1 of those double packs at Walmart for about double what you paid.
BTW nice lawn tractor your wife has.:stirpot:

hawgrider
05-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Dang hawg, that's a good buy I just bought 1 of those double packs at Walmart for about double what you paid.
BTW nice lawn tractor your wife has.:stirpot:
Yes sir regular price is up there.

The wife always did like the color green.:biglaugh: